Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 8

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I hope your family continues to fare well throughough out the duration of the storm.
Jami just said their home is on higher ground and their new pool let's out the extra water automatically. She sent a picture of a highway overpass 10 minutes from their home that has 7' of water on the roadway. Incredible!
Julie, sharing your apples with that family was a very good deed...and so exciting for those boys, I'm sure.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  5:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! just keep safe everyone.
Blessings.
There was another weather alert up in Del Norte County and Trinity county for a weather watch for lightening, that is where the fires have been lately. It is crazy out there everywhere.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  5:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The amount of rain is astonishing to me. I continue to pray that everyone remains safe.

Today I had to finally bite the bullet and pull up my tomato plants. As I pulled a plant, my girls found the hole and looked for good bugs.
I had blight and some kind of black circles probably some other rabid fungus on my tomato fruits. I salvaged what I could. I finished up one pot of sauce and will start another tomorrow with the "red" tomatoes and then another the next day, etc until all of the tomatoes are gone or spoiled. Doc, my FIL, came out and kept me and the chickens company.

I also harvested 6 pounds of green beans. I decided that I have my hands full enough and that others in need could use them more that I so I will be dropping those off at the food bank tomorrow.

My pain level unfortunately has my patience level a little on the rocks.

May everyone have a safe and wonderful night!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the green things Katie, There sure is a lot there.
Take care.

hugs and blessings

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  7:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, my mother taught me to wrap green tomatoes in news paper or tissue paper, then place them in flat boxes. She kept them under our beds. I have kept them in dark places through out my home. Check on them from time to time. As you see color move those into a box with others. I have served garden tasting tomatoes at Thanksgiving, Christmas and even Valentines. What a treat. Yum yum!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  7:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update. Jamie says the rain continues to fall. They cannot leave because all roads are under water, like 5 to 7 feet of water. She said their house is dry and they do have ditches to carry water away. She is concerned that the weathermen now think Harvey will return to the gulf, and come right back over Houston area again.That is not good. Please pray. Her litthe granddaughter is 'bouncing g off the walls.'

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  04:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene - yes, those are all green tomatoes I rescued before having to trash my plants :(

Marilyn - I've heard of that, thank you for the reminder and telling me that in works! I was just going to let them sun ripen but then I worry about bugs and birds.

This Harvey is not a good fellow. 5 - 7" inches of water is not usually a good thing but when you start talking about water in feet it is not good at all. I bet there are lots of little ones going crazy from anxiety and boredom, parents too! My prayers continue.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  07:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been watching Houston underwater and it bought back memories of the flood I experienced when I was 6 or 7. The Trinity River flooded our farm in north Dallas County. I remember driving through water up to the running boards. Came back home to water line 8' on walls and massive cleanup. My heart goes out to Houston and all on the Texas gulf coast.

I've been thinking a lot about grief lately. Experts have figured out the stages of grief but I have one to add. It's how women have handled grief for the ages - we do busy work. We keep our mind at peace by keeping our hands busy. We clean, throw out, pare down, and do deeper cleaning. All the while we are making sense of our loss and hanging on to our peace in our own way.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  10:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I think you are so correct about women and grieving. Somehow keeping our hands busy allows our minds to do it's necessary work. And, on the other side, we have the benefit of getting rid of old stuff and deep dirt which makes us feel better as well.. I know it always works for me too!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  10:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I knew FarmGirls would understand.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  11:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grew up on a big deep creek, wonderful place to play but when it rained, the creek became a monster. When I was 15, I went to spend two weeks with my daddy. He often had to work far away from home, drilling very deep gas wells because there was no more oil drilling near Snyder. So Ozona, Texas, sheep ranching country. He stayed in an upstairs apartment. As we entered the Down stairs hallway there was a line on the walls, light switch height. His elderly landlady told me about their flood, how everyone climbed a nearby hill, how frightening it had been.
Jamie said this morning that many roads and even freeways are under lots of water. Intersection signs barely visible. They have had over two feet of rain!!! As you can imagine they are weary of the rain falling...but it was still raining this morning.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  11:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You put it very well, Sara. Busy hands are a part of grieving for women.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  1:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Katie! that is a lot of Fried green tomatoes! YUUUM! They are hard to get here.
Did you say you were canning those as well?
Take care ok. Everyone please take care, especially all of you in the Hurricane mess. My prayers are going up for you all.
I was watching some of the videos of the floods in Texas, it is horrible. Please be careful.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  1:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is horrible Darlene. Just imagine, next time you stop at a redlight...look up...the water in Houston is up to the red lights. Freeways are closed...that means neighborhoods beside those freeways or below them..Are UNDER WATER! It is heart breaking. But it continues to rain, and water is rising everywhere down threre.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  4:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, you are so right. I start cleaning and praying!

Prayers for everyone in the flood areas!! It is heartbreaking!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  5:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now Spring, Texas is flooding.Spring is south of The Woodlands, both north of Houston, with expensive homes. Rivers flow south, dams must release water, levies are being breeched! And the rain continues to fall...heavy rain.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  6:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Praying for all those affected by this monster Hurricane ! The rain is unbelievable, I think even the weather man are amazed! We prayed as a church family yesterday, and I am continuing to pray. The weather has cooled here some, much appreciated, although it has not been a hot Summer for us, for which I am thankful :)!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  6:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evening, Sara I know what you are talking about, I have been cleaning and throwing out today. I know my granddaughter just started school today but I miss her dearly. I will miss her everyday until this passes, so maybe my house will get a good cleaning before the holidays. When you have been with these little ones from the time they were born it is hard. And I still miss my dad, it only been 9 months but my mom keeps me pretty busy.

We have not received but a half an inch of rain so far but they say it will later in the week. We live only 3 1/2 hours north of Houston.
Take care everyone have a great week.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  7:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Stay dry and safe, Sherry! We may get some rain here, too!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2017 :  10:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stay safe out there everyone you are all in my prayers for all of the things going on. Take care.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2017 :  05:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My heart is heavy for all of you affected by Harvey. All those people and animals, it is so sad! I agree, my hands always must be busy but especially in times of sadness or a heavy heart of some kind.

Darlene - I'll do one dish with green tomatoes, maybe two but then I will hope they will ripen. Can you can green tomatoes? I know you can do a relish with them, maybe I'll do that - thank you for jostling my memory! Just remembered as I was typing!

My hands have been full with Doc (FIL) and tomatoes. I'm dropping some veggies at the food bank today because I just can't deal with them fast enough and lets face it they probably need them more than I.

Please, again, my thoughts are with everyone affected by Harvey and what's left of it.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2017 :  05:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister, who is 86 years old and in a nursing facility, and my niece both live in Houston. As of late yesterday, they were still OK and did not have water in the homes where they live. The streets and yards are flooded, however, and with more rain today, I am worried their locations will succumb to flooding and require them to be moved. This has been such a terrible disaster for the entire area of Texas and so many people have been displaced from their homes and have lost everything. It breaks my heart to watch the news on TV reports.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2017 :  08:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning, Has anyone heard from Marlee, she is right in the path that Harvey is taking next. It looks like the whole state of Louisiana will be getting lots of rain and so much of Louisiana is swap land. Marlee please let us know you are ok. And keep us up to date on what is happening there. Thanks

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2017 :  09:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning it just continues to get worse and worse. Water is flowing over came into neighborhoods. Levees have been breeched. The noisy, busy freeways of Houston are silent. There is so much water, now more and more areas are being flooded. Jamie said this morning that neighboring neighborhoods around the were being evacuated. I have not been able to get her on messenger since then. As soon as I hear I will let you know.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2017 :  10:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought I posted an hour or so ago..but I guess not...must have left without hitting submit. Anyway Jami says the San Jacinto River is flooding now and some of their neighboring neighborhoods are now flooding. There are two dams, as well as some levees that have water flowing over them...right into peoples homes. Let's flood heaven with prayers.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 29 2017 10:50:53 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page