Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 8

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  8:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My DIL just informed me that she is on stand-by with the Red Cross for next week so I may be called on to babysit. The hurricane that will be hitting the Texas coast by Friday night is predicted to drop 12-15 inches of rain from the coast to Austin and Waco and 6-8 inches of rain here where we are. We had over 12" here just last week.

Oh, BTW, for the April 2024 Total Eclipse, my house is just off center of the main path and will last for over 4 minutes here. I'm really thinking of renting out my pasture to campers. Let me know if any of you are interested. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  12:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, you just had surgery and she expects you to take care of her boys. Sounds like mine when the girls were younger.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 24 2017 07:00:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  05:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My girlfriend has pictures of her son hanging and I have to do double-takes because I swear it's my son, right down to what he's wearing and holding, a red ball. Weird!

Wow, Linda! I completely understand though, LOL. Oh well, keeps us out of trouble I suppose. I just hope I have time to do some while Doc (FIL) is here.

Speaking of... Doc (FIL) arrives at 3:00 EST. I also have a prayer group coming at 1:30. One of the girls' son (who is 11 yrs old) was supposed to go to the shore 2 days ago with his father. She kept calling, getting angrier by the minute, because he wasn't showing up, finally she called the grandmother who went to the father's house and found him passed away in his bed. The little boy has Asperger's Syndrome and is compartmentalizing the entire situation and my friend is just dealing with the guilt of getting so angry because he wasn't showing up. The only thing she wanted was an emergency meeting of the "Rosary Girls" to pray the rosary for her son and his father. It's sad, he was only 41 and no one knows what went wrong. He was supposedly in good health. It's a lesson in you never know.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  06:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, I am sorry, that is so sad. Prayers.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  10:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's no problem taking care of them, and I have bunko here in 2 weeks, so they can help me clean house after their homework is done. LOL! And I have lots of outside work they can do. They are always looking for ways to earn money.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  10:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! Money! We all work for it, don't we. You are a good teacher.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  1:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How sad for the little boy and Grandmother, God's forgives, I will put the mother and all in my prayers. So sad.
Take care Linda and don't overdo.

hugs and love everyone.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  2:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my, on my...my new Kindle fire did not have loud sound...it was so soft i could barely hear it. So of course I sent the message and got the call, now almost two hours later I can hear it. And I also learned something, the young man, British accent, in Cape Town, asked me about the hurricane that is supposed to come in on the gulf coast soon. Then he told me they do not have toronados. Now, because we did a factory reset, I have to reload my apps. My email looks so different now. Always a surprise!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  4:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Darlene. Prayer group went well but she cried through the entire thing. She said it was very helpful though. The little boy is compartmentalizing everything, not wanting to talk, not wanting anyone to cry around him. He said he wants to mourn in his own way in his own time.

Linda please be careful.

Marilyn, aren't electronics fun?

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  8:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that is tough, just being with no issues and having something like that happen is tough enough but it is so hard on one who are autistic or have Asperger syndrome.. They deal in their own ways.
I will continue prayers for them.
You take care too Katie.

Blessings

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Aug 24 2017 8:36:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  8:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pray for Jami Bolton and our other south Texas farm girls...big storm Harvey is moving toward the coast.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  10:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for all in the South Texas.
Have a blessed night.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  10:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

Very busy here with lots going on, yet not worth writing about. Good to see everyone chatting.

Linda, as for renting your pasture, you may want to check with the business bureau. Aside from the obvious (insurance) you may need other thing ...

Those in the path of the hurricane ... Stay safe! Please check in when you have a minute!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2017 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for everyone in the storm's path!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  2:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Sherry for sending the updated HenHouse information sheets! I very much appreciate it.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  3:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been messaging with Jamie Bolton. They live in New Caney, which is northeast of Houston. They have had about 12 inches of rain so far, and they will get a lot more. We have these little five minute showers. A cool breeze, a quick shower and the faucet is turned off...no drips.
I am wet because we have been working on our chicken pens all afternoon.
I hope no varments can get in tonight!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 26 2017 3:25:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  4:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Marilyn.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  5:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik, my FIL and I went to a local veggie fest. The piggie art was made by the pigs noses on canvases with pig-safe paint. Children would paint and then the pigs would add their addition and they would become "pigassos." It was all to help pig placement (adoption). Lots of great food, great music, great people!

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  5:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, I bet it was fun watching the pigs do there Pigassos. I am glad your in the Henhouse Katie.

Thanks Sherrie, I got my updated Henhouse information sheets in the mail today.
Thanks for that you do Sherry, be safe out there.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  6:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cute idea, Katie. You are a good hostess to your company, and a pretty lady.God bless you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2017 :  8:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That looks like fun, Katie!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  03:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Darlene. You have no idea how much I enjoy being here. It's like coming home!

Ah shucks, Marilyn, thank you. It was a good people-watching place for my FIL. He couldn't walk the whole thing but he sat, had his vegan chili, and people watched. He said he had a good time.

There was a booth set up with a farm that takes in abused and un-wanted farm animals. I signed up to take a tour and maybe do some volunteering where I can. I'm limited but I'm sure I can do something. I just loved the idea!

Katie #7422

Edited by - farmgirl68 on Aug 27 2017 03:32:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  07:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Sherry for the updated farmgirl sheets. Praying for everyone affected by the storms in Texas. Katie your trip to the veggie fest looks fun. I love the pigassos and good for you for volunteering. Linda hope your knee is healing well. We have had a few weather delays with wheat harvest, but will be wrapping up on Monday. Than a break until soybeans are ready. My garden is doing still doing wonderful, giving us a nice assortment of veggies for meals. I have finished up all the canning I will do for the year except tomatoes, which are slow to ripen. I have one apple tree just getting ready for harvest and made the first apple cake of the year yesterday. Winnie I thought of you as I was mixing it. It starts the season of all thing Apple at our house, I did call a family with 6 boys last night and invited them over to pick as much as they would like. The tree is absolutely loaded and I am afraid the branches will start to break if there load is not lightened a bit. My favorite tree is loaded as well but won't be ready until after a frost. Have a great week everyone.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  07:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, I love the photos of your piggy booth at the veggie fest! So fun and a new idea to me. Glad that you and your FIL enjoyed your day together.

Julie, what a fantastic gift to have your apple tree loaded to the hilt with delicious apples to enjoy and share!! It is a terrific way to also kick off our Apple Festival at your home. Yummm, apple cake sounds delicious too!

I got an update this morning from my niece regarding my sister and other niece in Houston. So far, their streets are flooded and there is some creep into the yards but the houses are dry. My sister is 86 and lives in a nursing type home and my niece spoke with her yesterday. The facility is well stocked and prepared and carrying on life as normal to help keep everyone calm. These next few days are going to be a huge challenge with more rain expected.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  08:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies please pray for the people in the Houston area...They were told to 'Shelter in Place' before Harvey ever got here, and now they are in waist deep and deeper water. They even said that in some spots the water i only a foot lower than the traffic lights. (I'm sure that is those areas under over passes etc.)
When Hadlee had her proton beam radiation in July 2013, they had just had big rain. I warned my son about the water, but of course they had to see it...and found the freeways to be the only way to safely get around.
Houston is barely above sea level.
Jami Bolton says their home is dry, the roads are not. They have had 20" of rain and it is predicted that they may have up to 30" more by Friday!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page