Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 8

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  5:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I'm so sorry about your loss. Perhaps it would help you to remember some sweet stories of his life with us. If you choose to do that...we are good listeners.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  8:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I grew up in the Christian church in Minneapolis. Our youngest lives in Austin, TX. My husband is a descendant of Sam Houston. Small world.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  04:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Marilyn, I know SPG are good listeners and it's good to remember the good times. Dustin's oldest friend - from 2 years old at day care - all through school - and until now drove in with his family from NC for the service. They spent 3 hours with me and we told stories. Some I knew about - most I did not.

One story I did not know about. In high school Dustin & Todd cut class and went for hamburgers at local store. Principal found out about it and gave them a choice. So many hours in study hall or plant flowers around the school sign in front of the school. They chose planting flowers even though neither knew anything about flowers. They got them into the ground and the principal never mentioned it again.

One thing I found out about him was when I ran into his English teacher several years after high school. I knew he didn't like her but I didn't realize how much she disliked him until she told me this. When a mid-term or term paper was due Dustin wrote his in-between classes and always made the highest grade. She said it wasn't fair to the other kids her worked so hard on theirs.

What she didn't know but I had known from kindergarten was at the beginning of each school year he read all the books issued to him and never opened them again. He had that kind of mind. He didn't study for his SAT test - took it once - and placed in the top 5% of the country.

Over twenty of the graduating class of 60 came to the service. Football players, band members, cheerleaders, nerds, - that said a lot about Dustin. He was friends with all the different groups. Todd told me that all the kids thought he was the most brilliant person they knew and they still did, but none of them considered him a nerd - they thought he was cool.

Bonnie the older I get the more I realize just how small our world is.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  05:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that is beautiful. He was truly a brilliant genius. Most teachers think they are smart...but they don't hold a candle to kids like Dustin. My dad was in that genius category, but born in 1910, finishing school at 14...and since his dad could not afford to send him to a Mensa school on the east coast, he was sent to North Texas State. There he lived in dorms and went to their demonstration high school, then into college classes, until the depression. He had to go to work, he never returned to school.
Thank you for sharing about your son. I'm so happy that his friends brought you new memories of him. God bless you Sara.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  09:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love those special memories you have about Dustin, Sara. Please tell us anything you want about him - we are here to listen.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  10:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank-you Sara, for sharing these wonderful memories of your son, Dustin. It does our hearts good to remember and enjoy those beautiful and funny events of the past when we need a little more sunshine in our day. I am happy to learn more about his life and what special moments you two shared. He was indeed a very special young man.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  12:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel honored that you are sharing your stories and memories of your son. Please continue to do so whenever your feel the need or the time is right.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  1:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. It sound like he was one very special guy. Thanks for sharing his story with us, we are here for you always.
Take care of yourself.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  2:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, I have a question. Have any of you used the crochet hooks with fatter handles and a light? The arthritis in my hands and wrists makes it difficult to use my crochet hooks at times.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 22 2017 2:12:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  2:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, your son sounds like he was a wonderful young man. Memories are very special to our hearts.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  2:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone who read my stories and posted. Your words help me to hold on to my peace and stay focus on the good things in my life. I was blessed to be his mother but it's so hard to say goodbye.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  4:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Sara, I know it was so hard to say goodbye. Being the mother of only one son I do understand. I told God many years ago, that He is way better than me. He gave up His son for sinners, so we can be saved. I told him I was selfish because I could not do the same. Then I asked him to forgive me. It was very emotional and many tears were she'd by me. I do understand your pain and God's pain too.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 22 2017 4:40:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  4:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - I am using one for the Swiffer covers I am crocheting. Haven't needed the light, but I like the feel of the hook.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  5:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda. When I am struggling with pain I just can't manage those small ones. I will buy a fat one an7d try it. Thank you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  8:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, the hooks with the fat handles are all I use anymore. My arthritis was getting the best of me and I thought I would have to give up my very favorite hobby. But the larger handled hooks have made it possible that I can keep it up.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  06:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is good news Julie. I'm glad they are working for you. I've seen them on line, so now I will look in town, next trip in. Thank you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  07:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of crocheting, I'm brand new to it, trying to teach myself. Is there magic to not getting it so tight the needle doesn't slide through or is it just practice?

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  09:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RELAX, take a deep breath, and R E L A X. I DID THE SAME THING, until I realized it is supposed to be enjoyable, NOT work. Hey all you do is pull the tail and go back.

TRY TO RELAX AND HAVE FUN.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 23 2017 09:55:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  11:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! Katie - when I started to learn crochet I already knew how to knit, so I thought crochet would be easy. My granny squares looked like knots. With knitting the stitches stay on the needle each row, so it is easier to keep them equal. I had to learn not to pull each stitch so tight. It took a while, with my mom coaching me.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  3:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandmother taught me how to do basic knitting a LONG time ago. I only remember how to cast on and knit and purl. I have a scarf on needles now that I have no idea how to cast off. (How do I get into these situations??) My other grandmother crocheted but I saw her so rarely that I never learned. It's something I really want to learn. I also want to work on my sewing and quilting skills but hey, no pressure.

Katie #7422
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  7:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, Google whatever you want. It is amazing how much help you can find. Also Mary Jane did a crochet ... I'm sorry I don't remember what she called it, but I thought it was good.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  7:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried knitting and made a vest for my daughter when she was little, it was called a tabard I think, it takes a long time knit anything. and have crocheted things including wash cloths, but they do get tight. I made an afghan once that covered a big sofa, It was double chain but was pretty, took me a while to do it though. I have done some weaving too, I liked doing that. I have done a lot of needle points, that was neat and cross stitch. so much I want to try. Have a good time.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  8:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This evening we celebrated Miss Hadlee's 17th birthday. Big sister Baylee made delicious lasagne. I made pizza. And instead of cake, Hadlee made her favorite ice box pie: Blueberry banana. She invited her best friend, who is almost but not her distant cousin. Her best friends daddy was raised by my husbands first cousin and her husband, whose sister committed suicide, leaving two tiny children. Even though they had been married only a couple of months, they took those little ones. (now the funny part...this girl looks so much like my husbands cousin it is unreal, and they are not blood related--- They are love related. God is good.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  8:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is so neat, Marilyn. Isn't it amazing when things like that happen? My son adopted his wife's twin sons, and as they are growing up the twins are looking exactly like some of Dean's school-age pictures.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  8:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have projects I've done by knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, cross-stitch, embroidery, macrame, weaving, spinning, rubber stamping, sewing, quilting, and more. Think I am spread too thin? LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page