Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 8

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  12:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

Not much going on around here worth mentioning except that this morning I met an individual who is walking the perimeter of the USA. He started out in California has now landed in Rouses Point, NY. So far he has walked 4,000 miles!!! His name is Randy Montgomery and he does have a some sites that details his journey.

Here is his website: https://circlemakerrandymontgomery.wordpress.com/

Here is his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/randy.montgomery.332?fref=search

Here is his map of places - hum ... I guess he hasn't checked in in a while: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1QsNtwa25iJu0jLatvgWD4WZnYlQ&hl=en_US&ll=44.93033449990389%2C-101.71659735000003&z=4

He actually posted photos of the coffee shop I like to hang out at! (that where I originally met him) It is sort of neat to meet someone who has taken on such a project. He has quite some interesting stories to share. He is taking a bit of a break here (journaling his journey) until he continues on his way further northeast in a couple of days.

I helped him set up an instagram account. Sometimes you just want to post pictures with not much to say. lol He will be writing a book about his journey. For him, it is about getting back to the basics of being a human being ... loving one another with no regard to race, gender and/or religion and being grateful for our life and that of others. Like I mentioned, quite an interesting and adventurous person. I can just imagine how transformative this project must be for him.

On another note, Katie has now been programmed by Brian, I did send her an e-mail to let her know that she is now able to post.

Catch you all later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 18 2017 12:49:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  5:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, how old is the fellow? How will he get back home?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  07:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I think he is in his mid 60's ... He certainly looks fit! He will get back home by walking, unless something happens (he did have to take a small break for surgery due to a hernia) ... Tomorrow, he's headed off towards Maine and continuing his walk south along the coast line. I did see him this morning. He seems to like our little town.

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  07:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole - how neat!!!! he has a long way to go, though, bless his heart! Hopefully he gets far enough south before winter hits that he won't freeze his tush off! I wonder how many miles the actual perimeter is!?!? Anyways, very very neat!!!

Today we are hoping to go into town to meet up with the homeschooling group we are planning to join. They are having a "beginning of the year picnic" this afternoon. I'm looking forward to meeting some other people! I'm hopeful we will find some boys my older boys' ages! I am truly looking forward to doing more and getting out more this year!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  07:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is his map ... you can see that he plotted his route towards Maine

Fascinating project!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  08:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a neat story Carole. I bet he has gone through several pairs of walking shoes already. Here on our farm we are gearing up for durum harvest. Keith was hoping to start yesterday. Thursday night we moved all the equipement to the first field so we could get an early start Friday. Wouldn't you know it, Thursday night we got a suprise storm and an inch of rain. Since we have had severe to moderate drought in the entire state, rain is something we will not complain about. It is supposed to be 90 today so we should be able to go tomorrow. I have the last of my sweet corn to put in the freezer and I want to take the grandkids out on the paddle boat for a bit if it is going to be warm. School starts on Tuesday and we won't see them as much than.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Maybe he is a piddler too. He seems in no hurry, but as late as it is, he needs to walk faster or the snow will catch him. The Almanac says we will actually have winter this year.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  08:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, do enjoy your grandkids this last weekend before school begins. If they are like mine...we rarely see them during the school year. The bigger schools around Texas seem to have started eight days earlier than the little country schools who begin Aug. 28th. This is the first year ever that school has started after Hadlee's birthday...which is the 23rd.
College kids have been moving in all week. Police dept. Has put out notices as to which streets around town to avoid. If the college continues to grow...the people may need to just move to another town. We have had massive apartment complexes thrown up everywhere to house these children.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 19 2017 08:42:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  5:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Julie, good to see you. I know how busy you are with the farm, harvest and all. Do remember to take care of yourself.

Not much going on here. I haven't been in the mood to do much. I haven't even touched my sewing machine in over a week. Pumpkin is home so we have been spending time together. She'll be leaving next Friday for college. The house will be quiet again ... and less messy! LOL

Enjoy the evening.

Catch you all later!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  10:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things are quiet down here for me. The Public schools are back in session and the University starts tomorrow so the fall semester has commenced once again. It is woefully hot and humid everyday that can bring locally heavy rains. This weekend I did a few chores outside and came in totally drenched. It doesn't take long to have it way too hot to do much with the heat index. Looking forward to the end of September when we might get some drier hot days. In the meantime, I have been working on some swaps and catching up on some reading too.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  3:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Public schools started last week, that is the bigger ones, country schools begin the 28th. I believe that is when Hadlee begins again too. Baylee is out this semester. She will work, saving and paying for wedding stuff, that her daddy is reeling from the cost of. Ha ha...he just thought he could get out for $10,000.
I have been working on my MJF address book. It is a comp book covered by Debbie Fischer and sent to me as a gift. Anyway it is certainly getting mighty full. So if anyone ever needs an address maybe I can help. I wish I had collected email addresses before I began hosting the Portia's Card Swap, but I still have quite a few.
It is hot here also...and humid. Every afternoon we see clouds and the sky gets darker, but for the last couple of days no rain. Last week we got a smidge over 3 inches one afternoon. I am ready for Autumn.
Tomorrow is eclipse day. I hope none of you get caught in a huge traffic jam. I will see it on tV, much safer on the eyes. Of course we will not be dark dark here.
Enjoy the last "dog days" of summer. Then " Indian" summer will follow that. Then temps should moderate.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  4:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We do get a 75% eclipse view here, but I will be watching on FB or Internet.

Yesterday, for dinner, Ed surprised me with a group of 23 people at a Chinese buffet for a surprise birthday party. I had a feeling my son was going to be there, but not Ed's sons and DIL and the other bunko players and quilters. It was a fun evening.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 20 2017 4:33:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  4:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Life in a growing College Town. Our little town that was 5,000 folks when I arrived as a college freshman has grown to over 20,000 people. Now mind you they never count the college kids. When I came we had 300 girls and only six had a car, so there were extra parking spaces all around. There were 900 guys that year 1961, and cars were pretty scarce on their side of campus too. Now we have over, Over, OVER 10,000 college brats here in this town. Everyone of them has a vehicle. It seems that the right of passage is buy the boys a pickup truck, put big tires on it and send him to college with a credit card---No limit. These are the ones who cutted in line as first graders. "Teacher, he cutted! I've heard that at least a bijillion times. Anyway these are the same guys who get stinking drunk at every opportunity. Girls do it too, I know. I even had one girl from a very nice family show up so drunk for work, in the daycare, she even had her cup in her hand!
I have never understood why seniors must be supervised by chaperones on school trips in May...yet a couple of months later...HEY...they are good to go.
Rant over!
This is the interesting thing about college town life. For the last week they have been disrupting traffic flow as they move in. Our Walmart may be the top selling store in the US today...there is nothing left...they (parents of fish.) bought it all. Ironing boards, irons, towels, trash cans, brooms, mops, microwaves, coffee makers, and pots and pans and food they hope their little sweeties will cook and eat. I missed the action today. But I have been there and seen it many times before. And just wait...parents weekend will be coming up soon. Then mommies and daddies will wear their new purple tee shirts and go back to Walmart to wander about looking a bit lost as they try to make those babies happy once more. Now for the sad part. Next May when they must move out and go home...they throw most of their goodies in the dumpster...or leave it along with a note and a case of beer, so the maintenance staff can clean up after them.
Now you may say I am nuts. You may say "i don't believe that!" But it is all true. Sad. But true. Very true. And the reason the town continues to grow...many of them love this little town, stay, marry and have children. It has always been a good place to raise a family. I came...and stayed. Julie, Hadlee and my husband had to drive to Granbury to shop this evening, because our Wal mart is practically empty.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  5:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I made me a cereal box for the Eclipse. We shall see. If the smoke from the fires don't cover the sky it should be a good one. We are supposed to get 85% of it tomorrow. If this doesn't work I will see it on Facebook too.
Linda it was good you had a great Birthday dinner at Chinese Buffet. I haven't been to one of those in years and they closed the one in Eureka down because of unhealthy cleanliness. Go figure.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  05:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I'm sorry I didn't realize it was your birthday. I hope it was a wonderful, wonderful day with lots of memories!

I will be watching the eclipse on the computer. We went to breakfast with my mom and dad yesterday after venturing down there to celebrate my late grandparent's anniversary Mass, and all she kept talking about was trying to get her hands on solar glasses. It was the main topic of conversation during breakfast. Now mind you she's 80 and recently in failing health but she is so focused on this eclipse. When I got home I realized I may be able to get a pair of special glasses from our local college's planetarium (not a place I'd really like to drive to right now). When I called her she said never mind, I decided to watch it on Facebook (my mom is very techy). She's funny; I love her!

My FIL is coming to spend 2 weeks with us on Thursday so the first part of my week will also include getting ready for this. I may have to rant at times. I love him dearly and he has burned many bridges in his life, the rest of the family won't talk to him, but he's an alcoholic and doesn't take care of himself. I think we get along because I don't mince words and I am respectful yet put him in his place at the same time. He'll then go home for 2 weeks and then return to spend 6 weeks with us. God give me strength!

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I feel like talking even if it's through tears. Y'all know how I love Texas history so here's a little bit. The place where my son is buried is called Cut Hand. Years ago it was a thriving community but now there's not much there but open fields and cattle.

It got its name in the 1800s when an Indian cut his hand and it must have been a bad cut because the folks would say "on you know the place where the Indian cut his hand".

The day we buried Dustin it was hot but there was a breeze. It was gravesite under a pavilion that my BIL and his son put up years ago because his aunt wanted one for the women to have for dinners on the ground. Doing the service dragon flies filled the pavilion and my sister whispered they are a sign of peace. Oh, how I needed that sign and it did help for me to hold on to my peace.

We who walk by faith know when we need it the Lord provides for us and going through what I have to go through the Lord has never left me and in him I continue to walk in faith and in peace.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  08:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Sara, for sharing your story. I know how hard it must be for you to tell us this story. I, too, have heard that dragon flies are a sign of peace, and how special that they were there when you needed them. Hugs and prayers to you.

It is interesting how some places get their names, and the community of Cut Hand sure shows how one event can provide the inspiration for a town's name.

The town my mother grew up in was Fairbury, IL. The story of how it got its name is a little different, but still interesting, I think. When the town leadership decided to name the town, they decided to call it Fairburg. However, whoever filled out the paperwork to go to the state for the town charter had bad penmanship. When it was received at in the capitol, the "g" on the end of the name was mis-read as a "y", and when the official town charter was returned the town's name showed to be Fairbury. No one ever sent it back to have it corrected, and the name remained as Fairbury. Don't know if that was laziness or if the town leadership said - oh, well, should we keep it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  08:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Katie - we all have some relatives like that, don't we? You need to take care of yourself and not overwork when he is there.

Carole - interesting man. That's a long journey for him. Thanks for sharing.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  10:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the sweet words, Linda.

A little more on how counties and towns get their names. Colin McKinney came to Texas in the mid 1800s. He started the first First Christian Church in the state. He had two daughters Anna and Melissa. Colin County north of Dallas is named after him. McKinney the county seat also bears his name. Two towns in the county are named after his daughters.

The First Christian church was in a little town that was by-passed by the railroad. So the town moved lock stock and barrel across the county line to Grayson County and built their new town next to the railroad tracks where it prospered. Before I moved to Paris going on six years ago I worshiped with that First Christian church in Van Alstyne.

Van Alstyne lays claim to the first female newspaper editor in Texas - also the first female mortician.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stopping in to say hi,catching up on reading posts. So much on my plate to get taken care now. Just like to relax a bit and read what you gals are up to.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  3:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Sara, that's a lot of knowledge! Great history!

Linda, that's a funny story.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.

Edited by - farmgirl68 on Aug 21 2017 3:30:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  4:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was cool. A lady reminded me today, that the only big solar eclipse she had ever seen was when she was a first grader, in my class, Granbury, Texas 1979. We poked pin holes in shoeboxes, etc. So they could see the moon and sun.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  4:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I've heard of Cuthand. I grew up in Snyder. There were big dips all over the country side. They were buffalo wallows. We had a big fiberglass, white buffalo, on the town square, because a very rare albino buffalo had been killed there. It was my college kiddie lit teacher, whose hubby was from Snyder, who told me it was originally called Hide Town. That was because of the buffalo hides piled on the platform of the train depot. They were quite stinky, very bad odor.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 21 2017 4:57:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  4:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara, I love your great history lessons, especially about Texas.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  4:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yours, too, Marilyn.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page