Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 8

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2017 :  11:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I can only wish I was so cool that I needed to bundle up!!!LOL Yes, with global produce availability, there really isn't a time when you can't get what you want. However, to get the advantage of fresh from the farm taste, you have to eat locally. That really does help keep things available only in season and they usually have much better flavor and you help your local farmers. I bet you have a lot of access to great farm produce up where you live.

Bonnie, that candle is fantastic and it makes my house smell sooooo good!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  06:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Aunt Marge is leaving this morning and headed back with her brother (my in-laws) to continue her escape from the Florida heat. It was a pleasure to host her. She is such a hoot! A feisty 84 year old woman! lol My brother and company are coming down from Montreal for the weekend. It's a revolving door of company and bed changing! lol

Winnie, indeed I am all for buying local ... The produce is so much better! Sadly, I do not have access to a lot of produce where I live. My area is mainly dairy, cattle (up my street) and chickens (Chazy next town down from us). Keeseville, an hour south of me has more produce farms ... some are organic. I can actually get raw milk there too. OMG, it was sooooo good! I drank the whole half gallon! lol

I had a local dairy farmer offer to sell me raw milk strictly for cheese making (he stressed that it was not to be consumed raw) but I'm not sure about the way he runs his farm. It is one of those huge mass production farms ... he actually sends the calfs off to another place to be raised and gets them back when ready to be freshen. I wish I could have my own cow. As I get older I am becoming more and more conscious of what I consume and how the animals were treated. For instance, I only buy eggs from humanly treated hens. The chickens (egg farm) in the town over is an industrial egg farm and I do not buy my eggs from them. They are available in our local stores. That's just me!

We do have a lovely co-op in Plattsburgh that sells lots of "local" produce. I enjoy going there.

Enjoy the day everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  06:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, have you read MaryJane's book, Milk Cow Kitchen? She really lays out all of the necessary details for owning a backyard cow and gives you a complete guide on what to expect and how to make it happen. If you haven't read this book, give it a try and then that dream of having a cow might seem really more feasible than you imagine. You could also consider getting a cow that is a Heritage Jersey like she has because they are smaller in size but still produce that rich Jersey milk.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  07:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry Carole that finding the local produce of the quality you want is so difficult! We have found that to be the same out here, but at least we are fortunate enough to have our own critters, and that surely helps! I really need to figure out this whole gardening in the arid desert though!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  07:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I have read MJ's book on Cows, which made me want a cow even more! lol I love her books, they are so inspiring. As a matter of fact I have all of her books and pre-order has been made for her new one.

Although the zoning code does state that I can have infrastructure to house domesticated animals, the village I live in will not allow any form of farm animals. Hence why I had to get rid of my chickens. A sad day for me. I am doing lots of thinking about whether I want to continue to live in this village. I am out in the country, but the village people seem to think this is a metropolitan area! lol Yea, right! I'm from Montreal, this little village is not a metropolitan area! lol

Shannon, I've come to the conclusion that gardening is an art form! I'm thinking perhaps terraform my be an option for you! LOL That's what they, the NASA space people, are planning to do on Mars! lol Just teasing you!

Catch you later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  09:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I bought Milk Cow Kitchen and gave it to my DIL for Christmas. Ed gave her a steer for Christmas - to be fattened up to be food for them later this year. She would like to get a few cows, and I thought MJ's book would give her some information on them. She would like to get a couple cows, and then use another person's bull every year. A milk cow would be great for them.

I am going to order the Cast Iron cooking book.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  09:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have MJ's Farmgirl Wisdom books? What are they? Amazon doesn't say anything about what is in them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 11 2017 09:25:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  1:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The day I said I wanted a cow to milk, my son said , "Mom, if times get hard and we need milk, look in the pasture." I know it is not the same but I also realize that at my age, and with my husband's diminished physical abilities, keeping a cow is not logical. So I will continue to love them from afar. Oh yes, when I drove to the mail boxes the other day at noon. ..Our neighbors black and red cows, calves and bulls were all snugged up under 5 trees. I thought it a bit strange ...a cool breeze, mid 80s temps. It was not hot.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  3:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would like some opinions about porches. I'm sure many of you have porches on your homes. I'd like to get the most use and enjoyment from my porch and have a couple questions. What are your porches like?

Railing or no railing
The 116 year old farmhouse I live in has a porch across the front of the house, and originally had a porch railing. When I bought it, the previous owners had removed it; I liked the look of the original, so I added it back on. On our travels through the country I see farmhouses with and without the railing, and I like both looks. I'm trying to decide whether to keep the railing or remove the railing and go back to a railing-less porch. In some ways the railing makes the porch seem smaller, and removing it could make the porch feel larger and less confined.

Screened in or not
I've also been thinking of screening in the porch. My house faces due north, and in the winter the cold north winds (Blue Northers, here in Texas) blow directly on the front of my house. We also get nice E/W breezes across the porch in the spring through fall; however, in the summer, the bugs can be very annoying. Screens would help reduce the bugs, and make the porch a bit more inviting to sitting and reading. I don't think screens would detract from the look of the house - or would they? I am pretty far from the road, so don't think it would change looks much.

How would railings or no railings affect screening?

When purchased

After railing added back on

Any ideas or suggestions? I know both ways would work, just not sure which would be most beneficial.

It also badly needs painting. It is now pale blue with white trim. I'm thinking of going all white for a crisper look. Ideas on that, too? The original house was white. Below is that picture, taken before the previous owners remodeled it.

Original house

Thanks all!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  4:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I love your old farm house. I love porch railings, because it seems safer for young and old. Screening it is a great idea. Then you can have a screen door...one of my favorite things. Now a question or two...is the porch cement or painted wood? Are the railings wood or the modern material that never needs painting? Painting wood with screen attached might be a tedious job.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  4:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also did you remove the covered area and garage or did the previous owners?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  4:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The porch floor and railings are painted wood. The previous owners removed the old garage. I wish they hadn't; it reminds me of my maternal grandparent's house and garage in Illinois.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 11 2017 4:28:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  4:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda you have seen my porch so you know I prefer a railing which I don't have. I use two stained black picnic table benches on the front to take the place of a railing. It's a 'thing' I have about when I sit on a porch I want something between me and the street/yard/field. I just feel safer - like I said it's a 'thing' I have.

I like screened in porches especially when they are out in the country like your house. I have seen long porches with one end screened and the other left opened.

Another look I like is floor length canvas drapes tied on each side of posts that can be let loose for privacy or to shade the porch. One of these days I may get around to doing it if I can figure out a way to make them without sewing.

As far as paint goes I like white with colored trim.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  4:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sara, the railing, with the screens would make you feel a bit more secure when sitting out there, a bit of a barrier between you and someone who happens by.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  4:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara - I have thought of the half screened in look, too. That would at least be a little of the porch more bug-free. AND I've thought about the floor length drapes on a rod across the open areas.

I tried hanging the vinyl roll-up shades on both ends of the porch - it lasted 2 days. I hung them high so when rolled up they were up near the ceiling of the porch and did not hang below the side wood panel. I mentioned the nice E/W wind above - well, sometimes it is REALLY windy, and the second morning after I hung the shades, the wind came up and ripped them off their hooks and sent them in pieces flying across my neighbors pasture. They were unrecognizable when I picked them up. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  4:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Marilyn.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  7:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda you could screen the whole porch...then make some clear plastic covers for it so you could use the porch even in winter. My grandparents slept on their porch year round, with wood framed plastic panels that clipped on the outside. Was it cold...yes but the wind was blocked and once we got in our nest with the hot bricks and irons at the foot of the bed and a pile of quilts on top...we were warm as toast. Great memories.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  8:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I thought of the plastic panels and I was thinking I might even do that before I get it screened. It would be easy to do and a 6-foot barrier would help keep my electric bill down during the colder months. Another house down the road from me does that to their porch every year.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2017 :  09:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, you have a darling farmhouse!! I love the railing look as it just seems to add a bit more definition to the space without affecting any of the view you wish to have. It is also a place to hang little lights, holiday garlands, and small flowers in cute pots.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2017 :  5:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Love your home! We have a front porch, with railings. Our railings are at eye level when you sit down, which totally blocks our view - do not like that and one day hope to lower them :)! But I do like railings. I too would love to screen our porch in because of the bugs. Our house is a very light grayish green with black shutters, white trim. Check out pinterest for ideas, it is usually full of them :)! Enjoy the process!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2017 :  11:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate all the comments, and thank you for them. I do like the railings, they are like the originals even down to the number of vertical bars between the posts.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  07:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, you have a lovely home and a wonderful vintage treasure that you have worked to keep updated and workable in 2017. As I see it, all you have are wonderful possibilities because the bones of this project are already stable and thriving!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  6:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, you do have a lovely home and I enjoyed the look of it when the bushes were around the front, but maybe that is too enclosed and bring in the bugs. It sure is a lovely home and I have enjoyed all the comments. They all sound good. Big porches are so homey and comfortable, they look so good.
Nice ideas.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  6:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The bushes are gone - several died two years after I bought the house due to a heavy icy winter. I have smaller/lower plants there now. Not sure I like them, but may put some small bushes back in a year or two.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2017 :  8:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it will look Beautiful Linda. Look at some house decorating ideas on line for houses like yours. Maybe Good Housekeeping or House beautiful, maybe you will see something different.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Rocking on the porch with friends - August 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page