Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the porch chatting with friends - June 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch chatting with friends - June 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 6

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  7:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it is something I learned teaching first grade all those years. Even better is how the southwestern Indians planted the three sisters. Corn, beans to grow up the cornstalk and big leafed squash to shade the roots. Now that is pure genius, if you ask me.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  8:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I didn't know that part of it!
Thanks Marilyn.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  9:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FuN facts about our Native Americans.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  9:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well ladies, my kitchen is almost all cleaned up. I bought a tub for the extra coffee mugs, etc. That I removed. My back is not happy after I unloaded 250# of chicken feed and scratch. Since Robert is unable to help me now, I had been only getting one of each every week. But beginning Friday the Dentist will begin work in my mouth, so I knew I had to get enough feed for the rest of June. My son was on the tractor going around aND around, cutting hay. Hopefully he will be avaliable the first of July. We lost our three ducks and two hens last night. I don'T know what got in our best pen, but it had to have been a Bob cat or coons. There was nothing left, but a few feathers.Sad. Since I have had both knees replaced, I must take antibiotics when I have dental work. I picked up my prescription this morning. 120 capsules. Three a day. He wants me on them now, and until I am completely healed up after all of the extractions. I also bought yogurt. I also bought soups, and stuff for smoothies and shakes. I suppose having the freezer cleaned out last weekend...because someone looking for ice cream did not make sure the door was closed... (the chickens and dogs ate good, and so did we)...left room for what I bought today. It is past my bedtime. Hugs to all of you. Have a nice sleep and a good Sunday.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  10:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I putthe sardines in the whole, 2 in each hole then put the tomato plant in. Denise said, it works like chicken poop, except I don't have chickens and only 3 plants so not expensive. just cost me 99 cents!

Marilyn, you have been working too hard!! Prayers!! I have to do Antibiotics too before the dentist.

Marlee, sorry to hear your sick! Prayers!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  2:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well take care Marilyn it sounds like you have gotten everything done before your dental work and that is a good thing. Too bad about your freezer.
Sara I bet those sardines will be good fertilizer.

Have a good Sunday.

hugs and love

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  5:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I hope your upcoming dental work goes well and that you will feel good enough to keep enjoying your summer vacation days.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  7:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie - I think I'm going to try your sardine trick!!! What do the sardines give the tomatoes nutrient-wise?

Marilyn - praying for you my friend!!!!! You've really had a rough couple months!!!

Marlee - Praying you soon feel better!

Been working to get our garden ready. We are suppose to get a massive storm tomorrow (35 mph winds, tornadoes and golfball size hail) so I'm looking to plant my transplants Tuesday through Thursday... I have 100 tomato plants, 99 pepper plants, 4 tomatillo plants and 45 broccoli plants to get in the ground! Today we had our first adventure with a rattlesnake. It was about 4 foot long. My 8 yo was only about a foot from it. Nice thing was is they are not aggressive - it wanted to go the other way... it died anyways. I don't mind them out in the field, but once they enter the area where my kids play and ride bikes, they die! Mean perhaps, but better them than one of my kids!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  8:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I hope your weather doesn't transpire like they say it is. just gentle rains, no hail or tornadoes. The plants won't survive that.
You take care and keep safe in that as well.

Marlee, feel better.

Take care all and have a wonderful week.
God Bless.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  9:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, rattlers often travel in pairs. Little ones are very deadly, and hard to see. Wal Mart sells some plastic bird netting that I have used to protect little pullets, in the past. It only came in a big square and I had to cut it. This year they have some that is 7' x ???very long. When a snake tries to enter through it they are trapped.
You will have a big garden. He careful when your plants begin putting on fruit, snakes love to rest in the cool under big leafy tomato plants , etc.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 11 2017 9:03:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  10:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, Darlene, Shannon and Connie, thank you. I know God will hold my hand. I think I have earned some down time. I am looking forward to a nice smile again.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2017 :  11:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
100 tomato plants Shannon? And all the other veggies too? That is a LOT! Very aggressive I think. Are you planning on having a farm stand to sell veggies?

Marilyn - You definitely deserve a rest. Take care.

Marlee - Prayers for you and your husband.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  04:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, praying all goes well with dental work. I want you to be able to enjoy your vacation time.

Marlee and husband, praying for y'all.

Shannon, you are planning for a big harvest and putting up time. Your family will eat well this coming winter. Yesterday I put up 3 pints of cranberry beans - not quite the same as 100 tomato plants.

Do watch out for rattlesnakes and their babies that are born live - no eggs like most snakes. Though I live in Texas I have never seen a rattlesnake except at a rattlesnake hunt in west Texas. I have seen my share of copperheads which unlike rattlers are aggressive and mean.

Connie I'll tell my sisters about planting sardines with tomatoes for next year. I wonder if they would work for roses too. Most herbs I grow like soil on the poor side so I don't fertilize them.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  06:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one thing I have learned is just because I'm starting with a huge number of plants, doesn't mean they will all live or produce!!! Who knows when another hail storm will hit us! We actually had a really massive storm last night. Not sure what they are predicting for today now, as it seems like it may have hit last night! I'm actually not planning on putting up a Farmers Market, but I do want to get lots put up for the year! I'm just hoping it s productive! It seems so late in the season, and I know Fall/Winter will hit quick.

Golly I hope the rattlesnakes stay away!!! From what our neighbors have said, they don't usually see many of them. We also have bull snakes around here, which will eat the rattlesnakes, much like a king snake. We had copperheads and rattlesnakes in SC... never saw a rattlesnake, but did see copperheads, and you're right Sara - they are mean and aggressive!!! I guess that is why I was so happy to see that it was slithering away from my daughter opposed to towards her!!! But I still don't like them!!! Apparently the vets out here sell and recommend a vaccine when your dog gets the rabies shot for rattlesnakes. It keeps them alive long enough for you to get the to the vet. I'm thinking we might need to go get one for our dog!!!

Marilyn - I'll look for the chicken fabric! Do you know where it was or what it was called? I'd like to put it around the bottom of our chicken runs, though we do use electric fencing, so I'm not sure if snakes would still want to go through it anyways. But we also have chicken fencing around our garden to keep the rabbits out, theoretically... I'd like to put some around that too to hopefully keep snakes out!!!

I'm sending my hubby to Walmart today for sardines :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  10:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, it is bird netting or Bird X. They also have Deer X. Our store has three kinds, I know one is 14' x 14'. The holes are about 1/2" -5/8" . or a bit bigger, but small. To me it is worth it. It is in the garden center of our store.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 12 2017 10:09:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  9:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the rate we are going, we may not have many chickens left. We lost another hen and a banty rooster last night. Patching was done today, but I heard yelping while ago...so there are coyotes in the area.
I cooked three crock pots of candy squash yesterday...and I ate three servings...two for lunch and one for afternoon snack. I love it.Then I put together some fiery dill pickles. Tomorrow I need to do something with the larger cukes. I also will assemble a new shelf in the utility room to hold gallon jugs of water. Then I need to stitch a plastic bag holder for Julie. It is her birthday. I have a gift, but she needs a bag holder. I called my friend to confirm her Wednesday appointments that she asked me to take her to. Yes, we are still on...if she does not forget. She went to the hairdresser today because she thought it was Wednesday. OH MY GOODNESS.I told my husband about it and then I said, "I hope I don't end up that way!"
I hope you are enjoying a bit of sunny weather, we are. Wade took time this evening to rope...some other guys came over. So I guess he either finished cutting bag or took a break.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2017 :  10:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I'm sorry you lost more chickens. My sister looses some from time to time to small critters like opossums and raccoons. Betty sets traps and if she catches one she shoots it. Snakes and chicken killing critters don't stand a chance around her. Her mule keeps the coyotes run off. Her dog Molly has taken to killing rabbits and leaving them at her front door hoping she'll get a treat for being a good girl.

Yesterday, Annie almost caught a bird on the ground. I wish she would leave the birds alone but if they fly low across the yard she follows them hoping they will dip a little lower so she can catch them. The other day I went to the backdoor to call her in just in time to see a large black bird fly over my house, across the deck, headed for the trees. Right on his tail was a mockingbird. The blackbird must have come too near the mockingbird's nest. Lately I'm seen quite a few baby birds just learning to fly. Because of the weather I don't see the first batch of babies in the early spring. Come June I'm outside more.

The other day I saw a baby brown thrasher and a young one together on the ground. Annie was inside so they were safe. First time I have seen a bird born in the spring with one born in early summer. I guess some birds like brown thrashers stay together as a family.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  06:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about your chickens, Marilyn. What is candy squash? It sounds good - I love sweet things, though I'm trying to cut back to lose weight before our late october cruise. Should be able to do it, but I've had vacation deadlines to lose weight before and food wins out over diet. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  09:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, Big hug and prayers!!

Shannon, I would guess it's the protein and minerals in the sardines, It worked for the native Americans!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  2:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry Marilyn, Take care.

hugs and blessings.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  8:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick note. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. No chickens were lost last night. Wade says the hay is very nice, he was raking it this evening. This is the first time he has done this himself. He has always used a guy who works for him. But he was busy with his dad's big hay crop, so Wade and another guy who works for him are doing hay.
I did not realize how much I rely on over the counter pain meds, until I had to stop so my blood will not be too thin when the dentist begins work Friday. Today I was miserable. Some pain rub, helped me get the food prepared...but then it bit even harder. So I took a big bad pain pill. Hopefully it will not keep me awake.
MSQC says today was National Sewing Machine Day.
My new Kindle fire is not like my old one...It is much more sensitive. Change is always a bit different for older folks. It was easy peasy to set up, it did most all of it for me.
Have a good sleep. Hugs my special friends.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 13 2017 8:37:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2017 :  10:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caught the possum today and now it is somewhere in the forest. Yay. Was ugly, cute.

It had the prettiest eyes.

Marilyn take care!

Well my sewing machine sat alone today, missed this one.
Maybe soon, I will get creative.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  06:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Darlene that Possums are still kinda cute! They get pretty fierce when frightened but I don't blame them for that. I am glad you were able to relocate it to a safer place to continue it's life!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1226 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1226 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  09:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,
It has been awhile since I visited, I see everyone is busy with summer projects, illness, healing and life. The same is happening in my world, just different aspects of it. We are gearing up for haying season, we have been in a bit of a drought so the hay crop is a bit thin, but still needs to come down. I have been busy in the garden and flower beds, weeding and watering take up a good part of my mornings. I prefer to do it early to enjoy the cool mornings and listen to the birds. We had almost 4 inches of rain yesterday and although it was the drought relief we needed, it came hard and fast and washed out a few spots. Our road is under water at the moment so guess I won't be going anywhere. We did get water in the basement, fortunately it was only my pantry which is all cement, so now I am cleaning it out and bleaching the walls so I don't have a problem with mold and mildew. A large undertaking as the room is huge and I have hundreds of jars of produce, fruits, jams, jellies, meats etc. I have canned that need to be moved. I should defrost the freezers too, but think I will wait on that until I butcher chickens in a few weeks. I have been helping the grandaughters with 4-h projects, my oldest grandaughter is making an apron out of feed sacks for her mom to use for chicken butchering. It is turning out really cute. We made it reversible so she has chicken sacks on one side and calf and cow sacks on the other. I pray those that are ill heal fast and everyone has a chance to slow down a bit and enjoy summer.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2017 :  11:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is a gorgeous day here in Wyoming! we are a lovely 70 something degrees, nice breeze/wind, sun is shining, and I feel semi-productive. We moved our 44 australorp chicks outside, as they are 3 weeks old now. They still look so tiny, lol. We have them in the chicken tractor we had our broilers in, for now, until we figure out which ones are roosters. There is one I am pretty sure is a rooster, since as soon as you start messing with them, he comes and pecks your hand, hahaha. Tomorrow or Friday we get another 75 broilers - Cornish Cross. Never a dull moment. On Saturday we are getting our goats, if all goes well. Super excited about that, but we have lots to do in the mean time!!! We still need to build a buck house, a milk stanchion and I'd like to get the hay feeders built before then, but they can wait :) The kids are getting a little antsy with their school. It is about the time of the year that I need to start cutting back on their school for the summer. Generally, I let them slack off on the "extras" over the summer, but keep up with reading and math.

Marilyn - I'm so glad you didn't lose any more chickens last night!!! So far nothing has attacked ours, thankfully. Folks around here say there is enough wildlife that the coyotes generally leave the chickens alone until it gets colder. We are hoping to build a chicken coop in September or October, once hubby actually has a paying job! And I agree - Candy Squash sounds intriguing... what is it??? I'm so sorry you are hurting!!! Hugs and prayers coming for you! <3

Marilyn, Linda, and Sara - I looked at what kinds of rattlesnakes you guys have down in Texas - my word you guys have a lot of different types! We just have the prairie rattlesnake up here. This may sound wrong, but I'm glad we saw one already! I think the children were getting weary of my warnings to look around for them and were not really believing that we could have some... now they know they really do need to be diligent in keeping their eyes open, especially when they have Emi out there, as she doesn't seem to understand she needs to leave them alone right now! How do you teach an almost two year old to leave snakes alone??? I'm not sure she comprehends that they could hurt her!

Sara - I'm glad my dog does not go after birds!!! i think I would cry! She does chase butterflies though, which is hysterical as she tries to leap in the air to catch them! Zoey is a German Shepherd, so it is especially funny to see this big dog trying to leap up to catch the little butterfly.. and always miss, hahaha!

Darlene - that possum is so cute!!! The only American marsupial :)

Linda - where are you heading on your cruise? That will be so fun!!!

Julie - It is lovely to "see" you - you are always so busy!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about the flooding! I need to work on emptying my one freezer! It is full of bones for broths and frozen milk for making cheese. I've been to chicken to try my hand at the cheese making! I really need to do it though, especially with our own goats coming. We only buy two gallons a week of fresh milk right now... I will be getting that much everyday!!! I love the idea of an apron specifically for chicken butchering!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch chatting with friends - June 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page