Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the front porch with a quilt chatting May 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the front porch with a quilt chatting May 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 8

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  04:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Wow, already first! We have been getting lots of rain, which is a good thing given we didn't have a lot of snow. The lake and rivers are high, always a good thing for the boaters.

Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  04:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May 1st, waking up to 45° very cool morning.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  06:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn it's 47 here and my wee bay and banana trees are shriving in their pots. Quite the adventure you and your neighbor had the other night. I always thought dead in streets/lanes were safe from such but I guess I was wrong.

This month's MJF Sisterhood Issue has info on the uses of Epsom salt. I printed out how to use it in the garden.

The wind has died down a bit this morning so I may work in the yard later. Yesterday the wind blew so hard for a long time. Bend my two cilantro plants over. I need to see if any of the stems broke if they did I will either dry them or put in olive oil. The oil will keep in the fridge for two weeks. Will be good in a pot of beans.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  06:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning dear HenHouse Sisters! It is a beautiful morning here in Wyoming... a brisk 42 degrees, perfect to get your blood pumping! We've had our morning Bible time and have eaten breakfast. I'm waiting for a couple of the kids to get changed and finish their morning chores so we can start our school at 8. I've started a 6 week real food challenge... where each week we get a smaller challenge. The first week is to eat two fruits or veggies with EVERY meal! We went grocery shopping yesterday - yikes that added up fast!!! So this morning we had blackberries in our oatmeal and grapefruit on the side. Yum!!!

Once school is done today, I need to focus on crafting. Don't shoot me Linda - I really will get those aprons started... and done... and mailed on time! We spent Saturday dealing with the sewer... we are going to have to redo the drain fields :( And then yesterday we went to church and grocery shopping. I sprained my ankle a few days ago and it is still really sore and swollen, so I was slow walking yesterday! But today is a new day :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  07:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon I love your attitude - yes today is a new day!

The cilantro plants were in worse shape than I thought. Some stems broken all others were laying over. I harvested all the broken stems and half of the others. I hope with less stems to nourish the plants will recover. They won't be pretty for the Jubilee but at least they are alive. Half of what I harvested was so wind whipped it wasn't good for anything. I have enough for 1/2 cup of oil and the rest I put in a plastic container that fresh herbs come in at the grocery store. I buy fresh herbs in the winter and keep the containers.

Another plant that was wind damaged is my Clarey sage which has large leaves. I moved it to a child's wooden bench that sits next to the house. It will be sheltered there. Today has reminded me of one of the reasons l like to garden in containers - I can move them when needed.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  07:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool day this morning, though not the snow that is in the Texas Panhandle or in Wyoming where Shannon is.

I have my grand twins for 3 days (only during the day) so have home schooling to get completed. And sometimes that is a chore!!

Yes, Sara - container gardening does make it easier sommetimes. Sorry the weather played havoc with your plants.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  08:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I reminded myself as I hovered over my plants that they were just plants and I am so blessed that the tornados missed me. Canton and Emory were not so fortunate.

Schooling the grandkids - that must be a little adventure for sure.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  10:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know. I'm so happy all in our henhouse are safe, and pray for those who have injuries and damages. And my DIL is in Fruitvale with the Red Cross today - probably Canton after that through Wednesday.

The Randall Noe car dealership that was demolished in the storm had not even had its official opening yet, and now the buildings are not useable and over half of the new cars are strewn over the property. Luckily, the president announced on the news that the manager had seen the news on the approaching storm and had sent everyone home.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on May 01 2017 10:21:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  11:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weather is nuts everywhere it sounds! Today we are enduring sporadic hail storms! So wild!!! My 3 yo could not understand why she wasn't allowed to go out back during it to get some ice to eat (we are all ice eaters!) Stay safe everyone!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  9:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can top you all I think. We got snow! Of course it didn't last but it really came down for about two hours. It is supposed to be in the 70s later this week. The poor plants!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  06:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've started feeding the birds again but this time in my front yard. Annie killed one bird in the back yard so I stopped feeding back there. A little after six I put the feed out and sprinkled some on one of the front porch benches next to a fern. I sat in my wicker rocker and watched a young male cardinal come to the bench. He and his mate are the reasons I feed at the front porch. For a couple of weeks now they have come to the bench as to say we're here - feed us.

After mocking birds cardinals and brown thrushes are my favorite birds.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  08:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Glad everyone is safe! I will agree, it has been crazy in the weather department. We had a storm last night .... I had to pick up fallen branches in the drive way before my power walk/jog. I'm so glad we got rid of that center Bass tree!

Sara, I too enjoy feeding the birds. I wish my cat would leave them alone! I have a feeder in the front and back of my house. My cat tends to hide in the back due to the ferns etc ... better stealth!

This week I am celebrating Fibre Junction turning 8 years old! Wow, hard to believe I've owned this quilt shop that many years. Starting a business is a lot of work, but I will admit I do enjoy it here!

Julie, any more pictures of those cute little chicks?

Marilyn, glad you are ok from that misadventure.

Linda, any news on your hip?

Well, best be getting on with my day! Enjoy the day everyone! Cheers!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on May 02 2017 11:41:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  10:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. appt tomorrow, and hoping to find out something. I hope it is just a side effect from medication and not more arthritis. I've had one hip replacement and don't really want another. Need to find out why this dizziness won't go away, too. As I've said before, getting older is not for sissies. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  10:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - one of my son's favorite birds is cardinals. We haven't seen any here yet... I'm hoping they come this far north and west. I've heard they are as far north as Canada... so hopefully we will have some!

Linda - I will be praying for your appointment! There are days I feel like I a, falling apart now, so I certainly am not looking forward to that aspect of aging!!! Dizziness is not fun!!!

Carole Congratulations/happy birthday :) My son's tenth birthday is today. Where in the world does the time go???

Bonnie - We've really enjoyed the snow this year, but I do wonder about the plants! Last week we had gotten a bunch of snow.. and this weekend we are suppose to be in the low 80s! Seems so odd!!!

Today we are having a relaxed day of sorts... My now ten year old requested to put up fencing for his birthday!?!? How can you argue with that???? So they are out there putting up fencing! Now if we could just get ahold of the goat breeder!!! She doesn't answer emails or phone calls very quickly :( I'm starting to feel like I am nagging her... If it wasn't for the fat that she is the only one around here with registered Nubians, I would find someone else to work with!!! We contacted her early April, again the 25th, and again yesterday :(

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  10:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinals are the state bird of my home state of Illinois. I've always loved cardinals. I have them in my yard here and love watching them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  10:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I'm in my living room rocker I can look out the window and see the bench on front porch. Earlier I saw the mama cardinal feed her baby that is now almost as big as she is. I have seen them do that before and wondered just how long they care for their young. When I see something like that I think of it as a little miracle. Gotta be in the right place just at the right time to see nature in action.

Shannon I hope your son gets to see cardinals.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  11:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have many cardinals here in Florida. But recently, we have had a male and female Summer Tanager come to the feeders everyday. They make a gorgeous pair and it is the first time they have come to our yard to feed. We are delighted!!

While we didn't get any rain, a cool front is passing through today and tonight is supposed to hit 55! Yay!!! The next few days are going to be cooler both in daytime and night. It will be wonderful for a change as last week got way too hot with low 90s everyday!

Linda, I hope you get to feeling better soon. Yes, I agree, aging is not for sissies!! LOL!!

Sara, when we had dogs, they seemed to chase the birds and squirrels all the time. Now we have an older cat, so there is a balance as he cannot catch birds like he did before.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  11:04:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are so excited!!! Finally heard from the lady who owns the goat herd. We will be heading to her farm the 29th of May to go check out her goats... Looking to buy both babies and goats in milk!!! My preference would be two milkers, two doelings and two bucklings, but it would totally depend if the baby ducks are related to the does (both adult and babies)!!! I'm so hopeful and excited!!! Right now we buy two gallons of milk a week... at $30!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  12:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Afternoon everyone,

Not much going here. Attempting to do a bit of catching up!

Marilyn, please keep us posted and do remember to take good care of yourself.

Sherry, I do hope life has started to slow down a bit for you. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Connie, how are you doing? I do hope you are on the mend! Please take good care of yourself.

Linda, any news yet from the dr?

Shannon, so excited for you. As for your two gallons of milk a week, I think that's how much I drink by myself! LOL Just kidding! I do love milk! I drink a bit more than a half gallon a week! I could live on dairy, milk, butter, yogurt, cheese etc!

Speaking of animals, this is not a good sign. A raccoon in broad daylight feeding on the fallen sunflower seeds from the bird feeder. I thought they were nocturnal?

It wasn't enough so s/he climbed the crab-apple tree and went for the whole thing.

Pictures taken from my kitchen window during lunch time! I guess I will not be putting more seeds in that feeder!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on May 03 2017 12:08:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  1:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole - YIKES!!!! Is it pretty dark/cloudy today for you??? I can't tell in the pictures. If it bright/sunshine-y, I've always been told a raccoon only comes out like that if it is rabid! The reason we only do two gallons of milk a week is it is $15 a gallon... that is all I can afford!!! Emi gets first dibs on the milk and we us the rest for cooking! I'm looking forward to making cheese!!!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  8:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing on the hip - it is possible the cholesterol medication is part of that problem. The doctor changed my medication to a completely different one that has fewer possible side effects. Joint pain is a possible side effect of many of the statins. She said some people can tolerate one statin medication and some can't. Hopefully this will work for me. Otherwise the next step is probably xrays of the hip.

As for the vertigo, she gave me a referral for vertigo PT. I called the office and got an immediate appointment with someone who performed the Epply procedure on me. The second time he did the 4-step treatmenAnd go for one more treatment there on Monday.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  8:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that raccoons do come out sometimes in the day time. better to be safe anyway because they are ornery. If he was acting normal he might have been just hungry.

What time of day was that?

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

Edited by - darlenelovesart on May 03 2017 8:41:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  08:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Shannon, $15 a gallon for milk? What kind of milk do you get? I pay $4.99 for a half gallon of organic - stoneyfield. As for the picture of the raccoon ravaging my feeder, that kitchen window faces north. It was cloudy ... we've had rain everyday for quite some time. The river and lake are high. Do let us know how you cheese turned out. It's on my bucket list!

Darlene, I did read that somewhere. The raccoon came back around dinner time and it is strictly looking for food. I haven't figured out if it is a male or female. I'm betting on female nursing her young.

Linda, thanks for the news on your hip. I do hope your meds get straighten out so that you can be without pain.

Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on May 04 2017 09:00:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  08:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole - it is goat milk... that is why we NEED goats!!! Eli and I are both terribly allergic to cow milk... The coconut milk wasn't working to have her gain weight, so she needed the goat milk! Ugghhh not cheap! But soon we will have goats :) I have A LOT of frozen goat milk in my freezer that I think I am going to try making cheese out of... the gal who gave it to us moved, so she couldn't take it with her but didn't want to trash it! But anyways, this is why we only buy two gallons a week!!!!

Linda - I sure hope it was just the medication causing the issues... and this new one will both help you and alleviate your hip pain!!!

Darlene - Good to know that they will come out sometimes during the day as well! I was asking about it being cloudy for similar reasons I think... I know they will come out at dawn or dusk and when it is cloudy... but didn't know that they will come out in the bright sunshine if they are hungry! I love how we learn from one another!!!!

I had to cancel all our weekend plans :( I have three kiddos with stomach issues. We were going to have a multi-cultural Jubilee weekend... with a Cinco de Mayo twist on Friday and more American fare on Saturday. I think I will still do the various foods and what not, but it will just be us. So bummed! But hopefully even with not feeling well, the kiddos will enjoy their weekend!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  08:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Shannon, maybe they will feel better by this week end. Our school is having a Cinco De Mayo event and food. The little students will dance. It is nice.

It wouldn't hurt to call the wildlife people and ask about your raccoons though.

Have a great day. Feel better.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

Edited by - darlenelovesart on May 04 2017 08:46:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  10:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As y'all know I love history so here's a little bit on Cinco De Mayo. It celebrates a battle where Mexico beat the French army in Mexico. France controlled Mexico after it defeated Spain under Napoleon. Most of the people who celebrate Cinco De Mayo have no idea of why they celebrate on May 5.

In the late 1960's I visited Mexico City and toured the castle where Maximillian and Charlotte lived. As France fell six cadets who guarded them threw themselves off the cliff to keep from being captured by the Mexicans. So many stories get lost to history so they need to be told and re-told. Doesn't matter who and why it happened it needs to be remembered.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the front porch with a quilt chatting May 2017 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page