Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Happy Jubilee Weekend Farmgirls!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Happy Jubilee Weekend Farmgirls!! Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  07:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Jubilee celebrations to my Farmgirl Friends!! Thanks to all of you here at MJF HenHouse for making my life enriched in countless ways through friendship, fun, support and inspiration.

Farmgirl Hugs to you from me down here in Sunny Florida!

Let the Aprons Fly!!!

Look how cute we are!!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  07:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie when I was growing up in the 1940s I remember pinafores. Thanks for posting the picture of the two little girls.

My egg gathering apron from the 2015 Jubilee and mini aprons from this year have been flying on my front porch for almost two weeks now. I will bring them in Monday morning - put them away with the two garden flags until next Jubilee. I'll have a good start on next year's decorations but I know the new theme will call for more projects. Jubilee is like gardening there's always next year to look forward too.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 05 2017 :  8:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are cute aprons. Thank you for all you do too Winnie,

Take care.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  04:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie your pictures remind me of my childhood...That time when moms stayed at home, being homemakers. Curtains, table cloths, clothing, Hankerchiefs, everything was ironed. Clothes were line dried...fresh smelling ( I loved bringing in the laundry, burying my face in that freshness.) Aprons were pretty, crocheted doilies adorned the furniture, embroidery adorned dish towels, pillow cases and children's clothing. I love my memories because they spell L O V E.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  12:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I second that. But. I still use some of those things.winnie, I laughed when I saw the size on the apron pattern. It's been a long time since I had a waistline like that. Lol

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  03:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie and Winnie did your mom's crochet ruffeled doilies that had to be starched, then wads of toilet tissue were placed in each space so it would dry perfectly? That was one of my "chores" along with restringing Venetian blinds in the summer.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 07 2017 03:24:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  11:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, my mom did not crochet doilies that much as we had this big family. She spent more time sewing clothes, quilting, making special dresses for proms, weddings, etc. for all of us. She loved to craft and one of her passions was decorating blown out eggs. She also loved to knit and did a great deal of that for many years making sweaters for family and grandchildren.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  12:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn you had a neat childhood.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  12:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Darlene, things would have been very different if our house had not burned down...forcing us to move in to town. I loved growing up in a neighborhood with scads of kids. My mother was very outgoing, with lots of friends. They cooked, sewed, crocheted and kept nice clean houses. I was 13 when my mother took me to town to buy two summer dresses for me...My first and last 'store bought' dresses as a kid. She had arthritis in her hands and could not sew or drive for three months. I wish I knew what they gave her to get the arthritis to go away...because she lived many many more years with no trouble in her hands. Now her back became a problem in old age.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 09 2017 1:03:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  1:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LOVE the stories you ladies tell!!! I have no such memories or stories... as I was brought up in a more "modern" home where the children were to be seen and not heard, and were told to go elsewhere rather than help. Most of what we ate was store bought... lots of frozen and canned meals. It is the memories you ladies share that I am trying so desperately to give to my children... memories of heart and of love. I think not having those memories have made me want to give them to my children even more... so in some ways it is a blessing not to have them!!! I do remember a doll I had received from my grandmother many many years ago... She had crocheted the body and dress onto the head and arms. Sadly it got ruined one of the times when my parents' basement flooded (that was where my bedroom was), but I will always treasure the memory of it! Becky Riccio has blessed my children with her dolls - I pray they will always treasure them!!! Anyways - thank you for sharing your stories and your memories! <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  3:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I am glad you chose to be different. When my first grand baby was about to be born, not knowing the sex, I bought a Bye Lo baby doll in the craft section of Wal-Mart. It was about eight inches long. I took my naked baby home, made it a diaper, gown and a small blanket. Then I waited. Sure enough God blessed us with a baby girl. Her mom then told me there would be NO baby dolls for her child because she never had one. My response was, "Well, too bad because I already have her first baby doll." She continued that it would never be in her house. I suppose she got tired of eating her words because both girls have loved many baby dolls as well as American girl dolls and dollar store giant dolls in their life times. Bitty baby has been on every vacation they have taken since Baylee was two. She will be twenty in four weeks. That first baby was loved, wagged, washed when it got so dirty we could not stand it...Baylee did not care. When my son was two, my mother gave him a rubber baby doll, that she had dressed. My husband said he did not need it. My mother told us he needed to love a doll so he could be a good daddy some day. He never really cuddled his doll, but it rode in his dump trucks, etc. He is and has been a wonderful daddy to his girls. Now he has a 'son' who loves Baylee and does not ride horses. Julie ended up embracing the doll thing. Perhaps she realized she did not need to be like her parents, or perhaps her friends influenced her, or perhaps she just gave up. (One of Baylee's favorite dolls at age 2-3 was Baby Dill from the Rug Rats. He was on sale. She would take him to town, where some man would tell her that was the funniest looking baby he had ever seen, to which her standard reply was, "Him not funny looking, ME love him.")

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  4:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Dustin was in the second grade he came home and told me he wanted this monkey doll that all the girls had and he wanted to play with them during recess. But he was clear about one thing - it had to be the boy doll - because he wasn't going to play with a girl doll. I got him the monkey doll and he played with for a while than moved on do something else.

Around that age he had his own opinions on what was girl things and what was boys. It was okay for women to drive pickup trucks because his mama drove one. On the other hand boys didn't wear pink.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  5:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have "issues" with gender things... for example, today for Ben's school (my 5 yo), he had one page where the instructions said to circle what the father uses (a Bible and a saw, but not an apron), a mother uses (a mixer and a Bible, but not a hammer), a boy plays with (the dog and a truck, but not a baby doll) and the girl plays with (a baby doll and a dress!?!? but not a ball!!!!). It was frustrating that I had to explain to him what is typically thought to be boy or girl toys and what are women and men's "tools." he was funny... as he said "But most the cooks (aka chefs) we have cookbooks for are boys! And you use a hammer!"

My ten year old boy loves the color pink... though sometimes I think he says that to drive his 11 yo brother nuts :) His all time favorite color, though, is orange.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  5:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most guys look good in pink. My son had a pink shirt when he met Julie. He never wore it again, nor did he wear the loafers he had bought. Miss fashion expert would not allow it. Then after a couple of trips to church with her in shorts, he told her to go buy a dress. He also asked her not to walk into a store and demand to be waited on. We are pretty laid back in Texas I guess, and in a small town they thought she was rude. I think she is more easy going now.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  9:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My. Aunt was the one who crocheted the doilies. Yes we used toilet paper inside so they would dry. I didn't have Venetian blinds though.my job when the curtains were washed was tot put them on bars with nails on them called curtain stretchers. I hated doing that because I got a lot of holes in my fingers. We used real cloth hankies too because there wasn't any Kleenex yet. I grew up wearing an apron from the time I could stand and still wear one today.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  04:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were more 'formal' back in the fifties. Hankies and white gloves.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Happy Jubilee Weekend Farmgirls!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page