Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 SPG Jubilee HenHouse Theme and Activities 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic SPG Jubilee HenHouse Theme and Activities 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 3

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  06:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am starting a new link here to help us keep the topics organized. Here is what we decided over the past few days for our 2017 Jubilee celebration.

1. We are using the Rooster and Mini Aprons as our themes.

2. We will offer a swap for this interested in sharing favorite chicken recipes. Do people even eat roosters? Are they sold in grocery stores? I don't know much about them.

Please share here your ideas and thoughts for any Rooster and or mini apron ideas for others. Remember, there are no rules here about what has to be done. Even if you are not going to be able to be in town for the Jubilee, please still give us your thoughts and suggestions on the topics. We can all enjoy your stories and sharing.

Speaking of roosters, if anyone has a good book about raising roosters, please share it here as I know that they can be a challenge at times. Of course, any photos of roosters would be fun to see and please share your rooster names too. We can all have fun learning more about the "other half" of the henhouse inhabitants.

Here is a little rooster story to share today. My Uncle Bob loved crowing roosters. Over about 40 years, he collected all sorts of them. Because he and my Aunt traveled a lot, he had many roosters from all over the world. Upon downsizing in their late 80s, they donated the bulk of the collection to Warren Wilson College where Uncle Bob spent a decade following his retirement helping the college in the purchasing department. I am so lucky to have a pair of cast iron crowing rooster bookends which now keep all my MJF magazines together on the shelf!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, thank you so much Winnie for taking this on. I very much appreciate it! What a great idea to learn about the other half of the henhouse! Thank you for sharing your story. Would love to see a picture of your book ends!

I think the Rooster and Mini Aprons is a wonderful idea. Will there be an access/reference to a pattern for the mini aprons?

As for rooster stories, we did have one named Omelet. He was part of our first ever batch of chicks that we purchased. At the time we didn't know that you could purchase pullets only. In that batch we ended up having 2 roosters. As time rolled on, it became obvious that Omelet was not a she. We ended up giving him away to a farm. He was so handsome and had the sweetest crow! We were afraid that our neighbours would complain of the noise.

The other, we would have never know she was a rooster, was named Thelma. We had to change the ramp to the coop twice because she had a difficult time getting up. She'd flap her wings as she walked up the ramp in order not to fall off! She also could not roost. Here she is at 2 months old.

All she did was sit at the feeder and eat all day. My father said that we had to do slaughter her, or she'd eat us out of house and home. That's when we found out that she was a he. She was the best chicken I had ever eaten. So tender and actually had a taste. She was the size of a small turkey! Pumpkin refused to eat any of her meat, which we respected. It was not our intention to raise chickens as meat birds. It didn't make any sense to give Thelma away for someone else to enjoy!

Sadly, I no longer have chickens. I hope to own a home soon where I can raise whatever animals I would like! Just putting it out there! Thank you Winnie for allowing me to share my stories about roosters.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 08 2017 07:38:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  07:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, It is my understanding that some people do eat young roosters. Not at our house. I have roosters. I live in the country. I was so freaked out by chicken killing as a child...I can't do it. They are my pets. We have three ducks, probably around 35-40 hens and a dozen roos. My roos are Rhode Island Reds, Ameracunas, and one dignified fellow in his gray and white striped suit. They are an independent sort. When one is allowed to stay in with the girls, he is quite proud and happy. The others are jealous, but soon go about cultivating the soil looking for insects and worms. When a pen of girls gets to being snippy with each other...I add the male and like magic, within three minutes he has set them straight...no more being ugly. Some of our roos sleep on top of pens, some in the rafters of an old garage/barn. Story books say they crow at dawn. I have heard ours at 3:30am. I think the night watchman must see me getting a drink of water. Really, unless I am awake, I don't even hear them. They will come up on the back step to wait, if my husband does not go out and give them some early morning scratch. When I go out to the car to leave for work, they follow. I talk to them, telling them bye. When I return they are my greeting committee. I love our Roos. They are very important, because without them we would not have baby chicks. Yes eggs get laid without their help, but no baby chicks. They are quite handsome too!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 08 2017 08:04:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if this is true, but my DIL says that much of the chicken meat in stores is roosters. The hens are the egg layers.

Sounds like your roosters are really friendly. My DIL had some that chased everyone and nipped at their feet and legs. I did not like that.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Around any unwanted young roosters may end up at the flea market or in the freezer.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My DIL has sold or given away a lot of roosters for food.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  11:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also the ones they raise for breasts are the ones they raise as show chickens, for county stock shows, etc. They grow rapidly. I don't think they make it to egg laying age, which is somewhere around twenty weeks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9549 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9549 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  11:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had 3 roosters in our first batch of chickens. They found out who was king of the roost and everyone was happy except my son. The kids named them but I've forgotten what they were. It was many years ago. We ended up getting rid of the first one because he spurred Jbear in both knees. Scars now reside there. He was tasty enough. The second and 3rd came into the spot has they fought for it. The second was also butchered but was given to friends of ours after butchering.
Number three was sold with a hen to an older neighbor. We no longer get roosters but have butchered hens when they are done laying. They are not as meaty as those raised for that purpose. We have not butchered any of this last batch because they keep getting downsized by the foxes. I don't have the heart to butcher and clean any more. These are so tame.
Growing up on a chicken farm we raised layers and we butchered twice a year as we had between a 100 and 200 chickens. I hated the plucking part of butchering. In fact, if I knew it was coming I would always try to be elsewhere. However, we had many hands as my aunts would all come to help and they would take home meat and eggs.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 08 2017 11:42:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  1:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Roosters and Chickens, I don't have any, my 2 neighbors do. I love to hear the Roosters Cock-a-doodle-do in the morning! We Rooster and Hen sat for the Lovatos, they had a death in the family , in up state New York, I know nothing about them! We fed them, filled up their water and put them back in the Hen House at dusk for 10 days. Our other neighbor was raised on a farm in Nebraska, so they gave us pointers, as they were going out of town too, it was the week before Easter. Mrs. Lovato marked eggs with a sharpie, not to gather those.Mama was sitting on them. Here is a few Pictures. They tried to follow us home every day!! LOL!! I had cat sit, Dog Sat, Fish Sat, Bird sat, but never Chicken sat!! I learned a lot!!I got attached to them. The sweetest thing was, they got home easter Sunday night and the Chicks had hatched!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
FGOTM August 2014
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  1:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a picture of the mini tea towel that Sara sent me. Thank you so much, Sara! I will hang it with my mini - aprons.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  2:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda for posting it so everyone can see what I have been working on. I'm looking forward to seeing your mini-aprons.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  2:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
two Simplicity patterns are available for mini-aprons. I have them both and used one to make my half apron for the swap. There will be a couple more mini-apron swaps starting pretty soon. They are #1957 and #2748

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 08 2017 3:42:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  5:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that is adorable!!!

Linda, I have #1957. I made a tilde Doll apron, I forgot I had that until I saw you post it! Now, I got find it! LOL!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1226 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1226 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  5:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my Chester. He is a Buff Orpington and is so gentle. He loves to come up on the back door step and look in the screen door to see if I am around to give him treats. He has also discovered the cat food bowl I keep by the patio door on the deck, he really loves cat food. I don't allow him on the deck so have it blocked off most of the time. But every time he sees it open he takes advantage of it. He protects his girls very well and leaves all the best bugs for them. Always The gentlemen.

My daughter breeds and raises several varieties of show chickens for 4-h. The girls pick the ones they want to show and she sells the extras to other 4-h kids. I will show you pictures of some of her roosters another day.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1226 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1226 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  5:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara I love that little dish towel. What a clever idea.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  5:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie I love your rooster story. I have some hens that are his kind. Roosters are a lot like dogs.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  5:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sara, that's adorable! What a cure towel.

Julie, love Chester. A good looking gentleman indeed.

Linda, thank you for the pattern reference.

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  5:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cute cup towel Sara.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  6:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ladies. They are easy to make and possibilities are endless. Measurements: 3" X 4 1/2" - includes 1/4" all around hem. I want to make some with stripes down the sides like vintage tea towels.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  6:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It is a super idea, Sara. I photographed it on my cutting mat - so you could see the size. Sara glues the sides over. I think I will make some and sew them down.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of roosters, April,our chapter leader in Minnesota had a rooster named Lance Romance! I laugh every time I think about him.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9549 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9549 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  04:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mini towel is adorable Sara!

Julie, your boy is beautiful. I wish we could have roosters here but they only allow them on your property for 10 days out of the month. Isn't that a stupid ordinance? I don't know what they think you are supposed to do with them the other 20 days. The thought crossed our. I'd to see if we could get the neighbors on either side to take them 10 days each. Lol.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  05:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  06:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, love that name Lance Romance for a rooster!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  06:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh, I love all these stories and photos about roosters and hens. Marilyn, I was traumatized too when my grandfather butchered a chicken for dinner. I refused to eat dinner that night because I just couldn't get the images out of my mind. Horrible for a 4 year old from the city to witness!!

Sara, your mini tea towel ins very sweet! Thanks Linda for sharing photo too.

Carole, go to the main forum and look under their Jubilee link and also the link for mini aprons and look at Grace's huge collection. I think she also just creates half aprons from scratch and embellish them. So very cute they are for all the seasons. I gather from others that you can make them as complicated as you choose.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  07:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I will be posting the next mini apron swap in a couple weeks. Need to get the current ones sent by everyone first. I'd love it if you all would join. OR I could do a separate swap here for just our henhouse. What do you think? Would anyone be interested?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic SPG Jubilee HenHouse Theme and Activities 2017 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page