Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the front porch with a quilt chatting May 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the front porch with a quilt chatting May 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 8

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  07:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, it would be fun to drink iced tea and piddle in the cottage. I'm far from an expert canner - I just like trying new things. The Cottage is rustic and need of weeding out. One of these days I hope to make curtains for the three lower windows. I like having the loft window bare to let in the morning sun.

Marilyn you may be right. Whatever she was she didn't mind building her nest on a busy deck.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  6:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, what a sweet baby, I have them come in here occasionally, but they get moved because we have cats in our community and they try to eat all their food. They are cute though. We have possums once in awhile too and they are cute too, they moved away also.
Safer for the cats and no rabies.

I love hearing about your trip Linda and great photo.

Marilyn I hope your DH learns soon that he needs patience and that he heals quicker than the doctor said.

Winnie it would be so nice to have a little craft cottage to work in with sunny windows and lovely curtains in it.

Sara have a good time canning.

Have a wonderful evening everyone.

hugs and love.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  7:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie - you are so right. I, too, have asked Sara to give me a class in canning. We live about 1-1/2 hours apart, so I am hopeful that may happen one day.

I forgot to tell you the "story" about the Harry and David green backpack picnic/wine case we got at Goodwill. When we went through security at the airport in Charlotte, first, the machine went off when I walked through. My hip has never done that before, and when the guy asked I told him that. He said I was probably just a random buzz. I went through the pat down with no problems. Then Ed came through with no problems - we thought. The green case did not go through the scanning properly - they wanted to search through it. We knew there was nothing wrong, and the guy started going through the bag. He pulled out the plastic plates and tablecloth that we knew was there, the two plastic wine glasses that came with it. I asked if the pottery I had there was the problem and he said no. Then he pulled out a plastic bag - with metal silverware in it. We hadn't found that before we packed it. Turned out the knives were serrated, so they could not go through. No biggie. Then he stuck his hand in a pocket again and pulled out a cork screw - a pocket knife combo. YIKES! A couple times through this search we had said we had justs purchased the bag at a Goodwill because we needed an extra bag for souvenirs. Thankfully, he believed us - that we did not know there were knives in the bag. He said if we wanted we could go back out to the ticket counter, retrieve our checked bags, and put the knives into those bags. We didn't want to do that, so we said he could take the knives. He was very nice. I called Maryellen later and told her for a minute we thought I'd have to call her and have her husband bail us out. WHEW! Lesson learned - check EVERY POCKET when you get a new bag, suitcase, or purse.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  8:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, oh what an experience that was. I am glad you got through it ok. what a surprise too!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  9:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It sure was a surprise. And we could tell the TSA guy believed that we were telling the truth. We were so thankful it turned out ok.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 30 2017 :  01:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Now you have a story to tell. Glad the TSA was a 'farmboy at heart' and was nice to you and Ed.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  1:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One never knows when they will cross paths with someone who has a story that should be remembered and shared. This morning while grocery shopping I had the privilege of meeting a woman and to hear her story.

I'll call her what the young solders in Iraq and Afghanistan called her - Mama T. I met her when I asked if I could help her reach something because she was in a motorized cart. She thanked me but said no. Then we just started talking. She was a cook at Ft Hood - not military - a government employee - then she was sent to I & A. There she cooked for the soldiers who she called her babies because most were 18-20 years old. Before becoming a military cook Mama T was a nurses aide in a nursing home so she helped to care for the wounded when they were bombed. We talked about how God had a hand in her being there at the right time to use all her talents to help. I may never see Mama T again but I will tell her story from time to time.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  2:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's a great story, Sara. Thanks for sharing.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  4:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda. Seems like over the years I run into people with stories they want to tell. One thing holds true each time is they want to tell me their stories but aren't interested in mine. In my younger years that bothered me but over time I came to realize it's because I like hearing their stories and they must be comfortable opening up to me.

Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  7:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evening Everyone, just a little note we were in that storm last Sunday that left most of Longview out of power and we still do not have power and they are still saying Friday maybe. Mark gave me a few minutes with the computer hooked to the generator. Just wanted to let everyone know I will get caught up on everything when we get power again. I noticed that I got a few emails from some of you. Will take care of that matter soon. There was a lot of damage around town and everything is slowly getting back to normal. That storm came very quickly and no one was really ready for it. More later time is up for the computer.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  7:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! So sorry to hear this. I didn't know Longview got hit. Our power was out for about 5 hours the first time and 2 hours the second time.

You are welcome to come here and stay in the guest room if you want. Love to have you.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  7:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sherry, so glad to hear you are alright. Take care. Storms can be devastating.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  7:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sherry - I'm glad you have a generator to help keep the basics running smoothly. I don't have one and should probably get one for emergencies. Stay safe and keep cool in this humid weather we are having.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  8:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not realize Longview got hit so hard. That is a long time without power. We do not have a generator either...but my husband always says that he has a welder and it will do the same thing. I think it would be used to pump water for all the critters.
May has been a wild and crazy month around here. I hope June will be a bit calmer. Tonight I asked myself where the first three days of my future had gone. Then I remembered that we went to my husbands first rehab appt. yesterday. I filled out his mountain of paperwork. Today it was my turn because I had a consult time with a new dentist. I need to have some work done by him as well as an oral surgeon. Life gets a bit complicated after chemo and two new knees. Tomorrow I will drive my husband to Weatherford to try to get a new brace for his left leg. I hope we can make a quick stop at the craft store also. I have been sleeping so much better and felt rested today. It is so amazing that getting rid of stress can make life so much more enjoyable. Have a wonderful month of June. I love you all my farm girl sisters.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  10:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So glad you are feeling better, Marilyn. A little catching up on sleep helps.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  11:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda. So true.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  05:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn sleep helps a lot of things. Glad you are feeling better.

Sherry, I hadn't heard about the storm in Longview. So sorry you have been without power.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  07:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning every one,

Well, the baby raccoons are now safe at the Adirondack Wildlife Refuge (http://adirondackwildlife.org/) Wilmington, NY. Took a ride there on Monday to drop off the kids. I was pleased that the raccoon expert felt I had taken very good care of them. They often get them sick because people feed them the wrong things, so please, it's important to do some research when ever you feel the need to take care of one of nature's creatures.

Aren't they adorable! I miss them already, but I know that they will be well taken care and released.

Great place to visit. Pumpkin and I are planning on taking a ride there on Monday.

Sherry, glad that you are safe. So sorry to read about the storm. Thank you for checking in. I'm starting to think that a generator is now becoming a "must" item in the home.

A storm can really wipe you out. When we had the ice storm in January 1998, we were out of power for a few days, some a few weeks .... I remember that like it was yesterday ..... I was driving home from my cottage in Vermont with little 6 month old Pumpkin in the car .... friggen ice rink .... an hour drive turned into a 3+ hour drive home ... scariest drive in my life!

I found a PBS video of the anniversary of the ice storm if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIl2FTv5tAY

Keep well everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jun 01 2017 08:04:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  07:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That coon is cute, Carole. Great picture. Yes, different wildlife diets really must be followed to protect them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2017 :  2:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Carole, that was awful watching all those trees just snap. I know when I lived in Colorado the Wet snow storms were hard on the trees but never saw it that bad. I remember only one ice storm, my tree in the back yard was beautiful but it thawed fast and didn't break.
That must have been scary!
Our weather here has just been normal so far for here. Foggy with some sun.

Take care.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2017 :  4:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry you Texas gals have been hit with storms. Hope you are doing okay! Linda I am glad we didn't have to get you out of jail! Carole the raccoons are so cute. It was 87 today. I have been unmotivated. Getting lots of little things done but nothing major. Want to start a rag quilt this weekend, actually would love to finish it. I am traveling to Summerville outside of Charleston SC to visit my son and grandkids on Monday. Then on Friday going to Virginia to help my youngest move. And I wonder why I can't get anything done. Crafting relaxes me though, I need to work with my hands. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2017 :  6:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoy your family, Maryellen. Those grandkids grow up way too fast.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2017 :  6:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am glad, too, Maryellen. LOL!
Enjoy your grandkids and son and daughter. Crafting IS relaxing. And it feels good to get some projects finished. I need to finish the 2 rag quilts of my mother's; she got all the pieces cut out, I just need to sandwich them and sew it together.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 02 2017 6:30:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  8:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I have been so neglectful posting the last couple of months. My redecorating of my craft room has taken longer than anticipated. Still putting items back in order. Done a lot of sorting and tossing or donating. Also, I have had quite a bit of dental work done. Still have more to be done.

One of the three dentist I go to made a miscalculation sectioning my bridge yesterday that caused me to have a crown removed and replaced by another dentist today. He felt so bad about it that he is going to pay the entire bill to the second dentist. I have a very small mouth. They use the children's trays and tools to make molds of my teeth. It is very difficult to get all the tools in my mouth and still see what they are doing. The whole time I asked God to guide the dentist hands as he was working. Turned out to be as God wanted it to be. He really is a great dental surgeon and a very nice man. All three of them are.

The sectioning had to be done because one of the teeth my bridge was attached to was cracked quite badly and had to be pulled.

Hope things are getting better for all of you. I love all my Farm Sisters. Thanks for the traveling lesson Linda.

Marilyn praying for your husband.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  9:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda, I sympathize with you about the dental work, but I am glad it is turning out ok.
Carole, those tiny babies are adorable. Good for you to do your research and feed them right.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the front porch with a quilt chatting May 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page