Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the front porch with a quilt chatting May 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the front porch with a quilt chatting May 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 8

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you for the history of Cinco De Mayo, Sara. I never knew how the whole thing came about as I did not grow up ever celebrating May 5. Very interesting!

My daughter raises dairy goats(Lamancha breed) and uses her milk to make delicious goat cheese that she sells to friends. She makes the soft kind that has the texture of cream cheese and then adds spices or other flavors like honey or nuts for lots of uses. It is delicious and relatively easy to make. Shannon, you will find it easy to make yummy cheese for the family. I hope all of your plans to get your goat herd started work out as planned. Have you gotten your little barn up and ready for them? They hate the rain and will need shelter for cold weather as well. You will also need a stanchion for milking so that they won't kick you or run away while you try and milk them. May I also suggest that you just get one boy because they will fight over the girls and with each other. My daughter and her other goat friends trade bucks around so that you have a healthier lineage of babies each year. She keeps her buck separate from her girls so that she has control of when they get pregnant and with whom.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  6:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara that is interesting history. I did not know that either.
Winnie, how interesting about your daughters goats. I love the things I learn from my sister's. Shannon, for a while we were paying almost five dollars for a quart of goats milk for my husband, now he is back to cows milk.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  8:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We actually just studied about Cinco de Mayo again the other week in history :)

Winnie - we built a 15'x20' barn for the goats. We do need to build the stanchion still though. The bucks also need to be kept from the does so that they do not taint the flavor of the milk. I'm excited to see what God has in store for us!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  6:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very little sleep last night. I probably won't hear him yelling to me to come tonight. Last night he was still in hospital mode, lights and tv going all night long. About nine am the police investigator and a real police officer in uniform were at my front door. The second stolen car was found on down the road a very short distance, hidden. Oh my. After our lunch visit with my son and Julie...Oh my. I ordered a driveway alarm and camera. Kids today! Bums and welfare people of the future...or in the pen. In three days a dog and now mommy kitty were snake bitten. I must be careful. Tomorrow I go back to work, May leave early to come check on him. Home health rehab begins tomorrow. Hope.I hang on to hope that soon he will be able to get in and out of bed by himself, and sleep at night.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  7:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh Marilyn, so much going on for you. We have had a lot of car break ins around her of late.
Be careful of those snakes and just be careful and be safe.
I like some goat cheeses, they have more here than they used to, but usually buy the cheese made in Loleta.
Shannon your goat barn sounds nice.

Our school had a Cinco De Mayo celebration Friday after school with food, very good, and the children dancing in their costumes. very nicely done. And a band. It was very nice.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  7:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, your Cinco De Mayo celebration sounds like a big success, and a lot of fun for the families.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  8:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Marilyn :( My heart is breaking for you! I am so sorry they went with home rehab... I have to believe it was God's will.... but I pray that He gives you the strength and continues to bless you with hope <3 It is so hard for me to hear about "kids these days"! As I know that mine will soon be there... and I can only pray that I instilled enough common sense and that God keeps them on the right path! Some how I stayed on the "straight and narrow" and the military was the best thing for my hubby... Snakes are my biggest fear! We had rattlesnakes and copperheads in South Carolina, but they were not seen very often. The rattlesnakes here are supposedly pretty shy of humans, but with having so many acres... and the fact that this place was unlived in for two or more years, I'm worried of what our warmer temperatures are going to bring out!

Thanks Darlene :) We put a lot of time into it! We still need to put the tin on the roof... and two windows in. It was a lot of work, but I actually enjoy doing carpentry :) Besides, it was project that hubby and I did together with even some help from a couple of the kids. Our ten year old absolutely loves everything construction!!!

This weekend was kinda quiet. We had a few with stomach bugs, so we had cancelled all our big Jubilee celebrations, and stayed home. I did get the opportunity to move my 3 yo and almost 6year old up in clothing sizes. They grow so fast!!! So thankful we have kept so much of the clothing from the past!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  8:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry you didn't get your husband into outpatient rehab. I hope he can do things for himself at home without your help. Get as much rest as you can.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  10:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've all but given up on doing anything that has a set day and time. I wanted to attend the hand embroidery day at the quilt shop but each time MS fatigue kept me from going. I need to engage in things I can do in my own time and I have found one for this month.

The company where I buy my heirloom beans is holding an on-line chili recipe contest. Several different categories. The one I am working on is the vegetarian chili. All chilies have to include some kind of bean. My recipe has mix mushrooms and eggplant. I am waiting on my beans, Mexican cinnamon, and dried peppers to be delivered on Thurs. Wed I will buy other ingredients from the store. Later this week I hope to make my first batch.

The hardest part for me will be remembering to measure and write it down. I usually cook my the seat of my knickers - a splash of this and a dab of that.

Prizes for each category are: Dried chili pepper collection box set; a copy of The Chili Cookbook by Robb Walsh; and a Rancho Gordo apron. Rancho Gordo is the company. Recipes will be published on his blog.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  10:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds delightful Sara! Enjoy!!!!!

One of you lovely ladies typed out a recipe for me for a chili without beans. I cannot find it for the life of me... If any of you have such a recipe, will you please please send it to me??? My soon to be 6 yo wants chili for his birthday, but I am horribly allergic to beans! It and cow milk are my worst allergies! So I could make our normal, but wouldn't be able to have any :(

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  11:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You, go, girl! Sara - You are soo good with recipes, I hope you will win!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  11:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon I can't see where the basic chili recipe would be any different for beans or no beans. If the recipe calls for using bean broth than substitute another liquid like beef broth; if using your venison than that broth; or beer.

Thanks Linda. It would be fun to win but just doing it is what excites me. Doing something I have never done before.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  11:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck Sara on your chili contest.

Shannon I bet the broth from your venison would make that chili so good. You just make beanless chili.
It all sounds so good.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  11:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Shannon. Chili without beans is just the meat, spices, and tomatos/sauces. I like to add in sliced zucchni or other veggies, too. Aare you going to make two pots or everyone will eat chilii without beans?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  2:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, What's Cooking At Your House 2016-2017, page 12. That is where the recipe is that I sent you for Chili.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  2:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Marilyn!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 08 2017 :  2:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The vegetables in that chili will make it richer too. and good.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  11:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmm, talk of chili here has me wanting some! It sounds like your Cinqo de Mayo learning and dinner was fun, Shannon! What a fun way to include culture with learning and other traditions.

Sunday and Monday a very special and dear friend came down from Georgia to visit me before her nursing conference today. She and I met in 2000 when we both worked at the local Hospice. We became instant friends and have just been close ever since. Yesterday, we went around to all of our favorite haunts and did some fun shopping and had lunch. It was just wonderful to be able to spend time with her again!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  11:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like you had a great visit, Winnie.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  07:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is a busy day for me but also a low energy day. Thunderstorms are forecasted for later today and before a big storm I deal with the changes in pressure which adds to MS fatigue. Feels like a ton of bricks is pressing down on me. But this too shall pass and better days ahead. Thankful for the coming rain.

I'm cooking the beans for the virtual chili cook off - Santa Maria Pinquito bean - recommended to add to chili - Haven't cook this bean before so anxious to see how I like it. Since I have to record all my measurements I will wait into in the morning to make the chili.

My miniature yellow rose has one wee rose and one bud. So happy to see it bloom.

At 4:30 CST TCM is showing "Murder Ahoy" with Margaret Rutherford as Miss Jane Marple. She's my favorite Miss Marple so Annie and I will be watching it. Well, I'll be in my rocker and Annie at my feet gnawing on a rawhide roll.

That's what I have planned for my day. What will y'all be up to?

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  08:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I like Margaret Rutherford too, she was a good Miss Marple. I haven't seen the one with Angela Lansbury in it yet.
I bet your Chili will be great. Take it easy and take care.
It is supposed to rain here today.
Shannon I know what you mean about enjoying carpentery. I haven't built anything big but do enjoy it. My father was a Carpenter and I enjoyed his workshop when he was busy building stuff.

Marilyn this was the best Cinco De Mayo celebration they have had, the music wasn't too loud, the kids danced nicely, and looked great, and the food was great.
Thank you.
Have a nice day everyone.
Love you all.
good memories.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  08:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - so glad you got to enjoy your time with your dear friend! I was just talking with my kids about how many of my friends are from different time periods in my life. My one is from when I was in nursing school... another from when we first moved to SC, another we met through our hubby's careers in the military, etc. The funny thing is they are all spread out throughout the US.

Sara - happy to hear your rose bush is starting to boom. Hopefully Annie will not eat this one!!! Sorry to hear about the MS fatigue. My fiber is a lot like that, when the pressures change, as is my 8 yo's juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

Darlene - I'm so glad the celebration went so well!!! How neat that your dad was a carpenter <3

Today is an extremely low key day for us. We are fighting a stomach bug and have been for the last week! I have never experienced anything like this!!! My breathing is shallow, my heart rate high, and I feel med-heady but rather than putting me to sleep, like when I'm on meds, I'm terribly nauseous!!! I barely have enough energy to walk from one room to another! I'm guessing my extreme iron deficiency and probable dehydration are playing a part in it! If I'm not better soon, I'm going to have to get seen!!! Brad took yesterday off as he was feeling so poorly, and slept most of the day, and that seemed to help him. Kinda wish he would take a day off so I can sleep, lol. It would probably help! Thankfully, the kids for the most part are feeling better. My 13 yo and 8 yo are still feeling pretty rough... the 8 yo just started with it yesterday and the 13 yo is just exhausted, having I think finally overcome, but still recuperating. Hubby says the ER doctor at the hospital said that they have seen a lot of people in the ER with whatever it is.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  08:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear your family has been so ill, Shannon. Has Brad been to the ER with it? You and your family have gone through so much since you moved to WY. Prayers that you are all better soon.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara - I love the Miss Marple movies. I've read almost if not all of the books and love them. I like seeing them in film. I also like Margaret Rutherford.

I love the work carpenters do. Ed does a little carpentry, would do more if he had the time. My father was a fixer-upper, but not really carpentry.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  09:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene glad you had a good time.

Shannon sorry your family has been dealing with being ill. Hope the days ahead are better. I think pressure affects most of use who deal with chronic diseases.

Linda, I like all the Miss Marple movies but I like that Margaret Rutherford is a more active robust woman. All the other actress who play Miss Marple are on the frail and sedate side.

Winnie, your time with your friend sounds wonderful.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the front porch with a quilt chatting May 2017 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page