Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wildflower Farmgirls
 Project Discussions
 Hey Good Lookin'... Whatcha Got Cookin...?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Hey Good Lookin'... Whatcha Got Cookin...? Next Topic
Page: of 2

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  08:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting Erin - I wonder what it is about it that you do not enjoy. I'm not particularly partial to Chinese or Japanese... but I love Thai and Vietnamese... the spice and balance of Thai is wonderful and the freshness of Vietnamese!!!

I love food, hahahaha! And I love to cook!!! But I am selective i what recipes I try! Some German foods I find too heavy!!! But others I love

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  4:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My kids love Thai and Japanese and sushi! I love to cook but I'm just not that adventurous....I do love to hear what you are cooking! It's kind of inspiring me to branch out a bit! I'm really lucky that my husband is pretty open to new things and will try just about anything. I grew up with a dad that only liked meat and potatoes...and about 2 vegetables! NO Mexican, NO Chinese, very little pasta...it made a real challenge for my mom to come up with meals.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  5:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Debbie! THat sounds like my dad... though he did eat Tacos... In fact, we had the EVERY Saturday night and they still do... and Sunday was steak, baked potato and salad. I guess that is why I try new recipes All. The. Time! We ate very few things... they just got rotated. I have tried so many new vegetables since getting married.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  08:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dad wouldn't even eat tacos!!! WHO doesn't like tacos??? haha His other "thing" that we always joked about was chocolate. This guy LOVED chocolate! He could sit and eat one of those BIG Hershey bars easy. But, he didn't like the way chocolate tasted after it was baked. So, if you made chocolate chip cookies, if they had more than 3 chips per cookie, that was too many. And if you made a cake, it had to be either white cake with chocolate frosting...or chocolate cake with white frosting. NEVER chocolate with chocolate!! One of the first things that I made for my husband after we were married was a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting!!! And I was so excited to learn that he LOVED frosting as much as I did! And he likes an entire bag of chips in his cookie dough.
Since dad has passed away, my mom has discovered a whole new food world out there...she loves Thai, as well.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  08:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Debbie how you talk about your dad with so much LOVE! While you understandably appreciate the "food freedom" you gained after you married your hubby, your love for your dad is so evident! I bet you miss him lots!

I finished figuring out the menu for March... lots and lots of Thai meals. Tonight however we are having a meal that is for the littles' FIAR book "The Rag Coat"... Miners Beef Stew, Coal Miners Pasties, and Coal Cookies

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  09:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight is Thai... Five Spice Slow Cooked Pork, Asian Greens with Roasted Garlic, Jasmine Rice, and for dessert Coconut Pudding with Pineapple

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  09:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What time is dinner? ??

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  09:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About 6... Should I expect you :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  10:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon - please expect me too :) Do you always meal plan for the entire month?

We're having pork roast - in the crock pot right now. Trying to get my kitchen spring-cleaned today and tomorrow...*trying* is the key word here.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  10:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce and I will be there! You had me at greens with garlic!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  10:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My planning varies... Because we are studying Thailand starting this week, and hubby wanted Thai meals every night we had a "free" night, I planned the next month. Let me explain my madness... I plan a month of school at a time, usually around the 15th of the month... so on March 15th, I will plan April's school. As I plan history, I will write any meals that go with the lessons... for example last week we studied about Brazil's independence, so we had a Brazilian meal that night. We have history on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesday nights we have a meal that accompanies our FIAR book for that week. Then on Friday nights we have a meal that corresponds with the letter Ben is studying... for example this week is Z... so we are having Zigeunerschnitzel... though we are having it on Thursday since we will having a special St Patrick meal on Friday. Then I filled in the rest of the days with Thai meals... usually I just do that around Tuesday, but hubby wanted lots of Thai meals :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  10:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And you guys are definitely welcome for dinner!!! ANY TIME! You guys have no idea how much I would LOVE visitors right now!!!! This week's menu is:
13th - Thai Iced Tea, Five Spice Slow-Cooked Pork, Asian Greens with Roasted Garlic, Jasmine Rice, and Coconut Pudding with Pineapple
14th - Marinated Cucumbers, Ginger, and Thai Basil, Mixed Vegetable Curry, Coriander Beef, Rice, and Lemongrass Iced Tea
15th - Breakfast is Monkey Pancakes, Dinner is Shrimp Pad Thai and Lemongrass Lemonade, with Monkey Cupcakes for dinner (we are reading "Caps for Sale")
16th - Zigeunerschnitzel, Spaetzle, and probably broccoli
17th - Breakfast - Spinach Quiche, Dinner is Irish Shepherds Pie and Soda Bread
18th - Chiang Mai Chicken in Lettuce Cups, Chicken Coconut Soup, Braised Chicken in Thai Yellow Curry with Rice, Thai Garlicky Eggplant, and Lemongrass Custard
19th - Summer Rolls with Shrimp & Mint, Shrimp Coconut Soup, Thai Green Curry with Prawns, and Rice

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  08:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, you are so organized!!! Meal planning is the one area that I could do better on. I might have a few ideas in my head for the upcoming week and I decide the night before when I take meat out of the freezer for the next day. I did all of the "menu cards" that the Sidetracked Sisters suggested doing in their kitchen book and it really does work great for planning for the week...or weeks...if you use them! I think my deal is that I just run out of things to fix...I love cooking, I just need new inspiration from time to time. I think I'll make this one of my goals for April...plan out my meals for the month and then shop twice. I usually only shop about twice a month anyway, to get staples and restock fresh things. I try to keep grocery shopping to a minimum...I buy less and I really don't like grocery shopping!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  08:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have TOO MANY ideas for cooking!!!! I think I drive my hubby nuts!!! We seriously do not eat the same thing twice in a year unless it is requested or I am too exhausted to cook! For example, we almost always have stuff for spaghetti in the house.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  07:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight is Thai BBQ pork and Stir Fried Vegetables with Chili Tamarind Sauce over Rice

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 18 2017 :  3:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are in the midst of studying the Civil war and will be focusing on it for the next month or two... since I don't have any FIAR books to go along with Korea for my littles, which is how I normally pick what book we are going to read next, I decided to spend some time on the books that revolve around slavery... As such, we are having a southern meal tonight... Southern Fried Chicken, Southern Potato salad, Southern Style Coleslaw and Southern Peach Cobbler. Anyone want to come over/ It should be ready at about 6.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  07:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh....my favorite kind of cooking!!! When I was in Louisiana and Mississippi, I had to try everything...except the seafood. My cousin's minister thought that I really needed to try crawfish but I passed on that as well. He said they weren't seafood since they came from a ditch! hahaha I think my 2 favorite things were hummingbird cake and cheese grits!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  10:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love love love cheese grits, especially with some jalapeņos added! I never did try shrimp and grits though.... And I've never had hummingbird cake. I'll have to look that one up!

Today is Ben's birthday, so he planned the menu...
Breakfast: Snowman Pancakes (two pancakes to make the snowman shape, chocolate chips for the eyes, nose, mouth and three buttons, a piece of bacon for the scarf, and a couple marshmallows for extra snowballs)
Lunch: Ham and cheese sandwiches, apples with peanut butter, chips & salsa
Dinner: Chili over rice, served with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips
Dessert: Cake decorated in a dog theme (not sure of Katie's plan on that one!)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Hey Good Lookin'... Whatcha Got Cookin...? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page