Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting by a warm fire rockin' with friends Feb 17
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting by a warm fire rockin' with friends Feb 17 Next Topic
Page: of 5

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  04:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We try to be prepared too. We don't have as much freezing temps as you northern girls do, but when we do it paralyzes everything. Texans do not drive well on slick roads.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9578 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9578 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  04:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, they don't drive well on them here in Jersey either, they just think they do.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  06:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Gorgeous day today. I don't know if we will be hit by the coming storm. There is a part of me that would like to get lots of snow. We are so due for a huge snow storm; the kind where life slows down with every one safe and hunker down, admiring the beauty of it all!

Last night my little Pumpkin asked if I had kept all of her baby teeth. I told her that the fairies had them. She asked if I could send her a photo, her suite mates (they are 7 in a room) were talking about childhood memories. So I told her that I would do a bit of magic and see what I can do so summoned the fairies and ask for a special favour. Gosh did I get a chuckle when the fairies showed me a letter from Toothies Wonder.

The teeth are all in this special magical container surrounded by fairy dust. You know, it's all well guarded! She certainly enjoyed the pictures I sent her.

Gosh, I love that kid so much. She so enriches my life. I'm sure she had a hoot telling all of her suite mates that the fairies in our area keep all the children's teeth! I love fairies! We do have an old oak tree in the backward where the fairies live.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 09 2017 2:18:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  06:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stay warm Denise and Carole. Haven't checked the weather since last night, are you still in the path of that snow storm? Carole what a fabulous Mom you are, Pumpkin must have had an amazing childhood. I do have to go out this morning, an appointment in town. At -15 I want to join you Denise by the fire and finish the cowl I am working on. Have a great day ladies.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Feb 09 2017 06:41:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  06:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Denisee - Do you have only wood stove to heat? Or is that in addition to gas or electric? I have an electric fireplace and it does NO good at all for real heating. I would love to get a wood burning stove for the corner of my living room - I love a wood burning stove. I sure would like a fireplace to sit in front of. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 09 2017 06:54:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  11:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda go to a stove shop. People here go to Weatherford. Tractor Supply sells stoves and parts for DIY, but a stove shop can do the install for you. Our neighbors heat their home with wood. My friend in Glen Rose heats with wood too. We have a wood stove. They are nice. You will need to put some thing fireproof on the walls around the stove, and the floor under it... so they don't get too hot and combust. No curtains, drapes or furniture up close either...unless you are sitting in it. LOL. They also have pellet stoves. I believe my husband said they are less messy, but you have to buy bags of pellets. If you have trees, you may have wood. I get ours from a young guy who charges $190 for a cord, cut, delivered and stacked. I used to use a chain saw and cut my own if we ran low...that was long long ago.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  11:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My ex-husband in California has a wood-burning cook stove that we bought way back when. I only used it to heat sometimes, but it was blue enamel, had 6 burners (I think - maybe 4), a 20 gallon water reservoir, 2 warming overs on top, and a nice size oven. We only paid $150 for it, I think. He has said I could have it, but getting it here from there is the problem. It weighs a ton! But it is really too big for my living room. LOL! Ed has said - let's go get it!!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  12:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda the stove sounds wonderful. I found the wood cook stove of my dreams in an OK antique shop bot had to leave it because it was $$$$. It was a crossover stove. Part was wood and part natural gas. Two ovens - one for wood and one for gas. Six burners - 4 for gas - 2 for wood. Water reservoir on wood side. Twenty years later I still can see that stove. I always remember the things that got away.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  1:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well ladies, I went to work and had a great morning. Funny thing was the daddy comments as they dropped their kids off at school. Made me feel needed and loved. They were glad to see me back.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  1:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I feel a road trip coming on for you and Ed to California! Travel route 66 and explore and come home with a Stove!!

Marilyn, How could they not miss You!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  1:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda! We love last man Standing!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  2:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, thank you for your sweet comment and for noticing/acknowledging my post.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9578 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9578 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  2:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
We heat only with wood. But we have a big wood furnace outside that heats most of house. The rooms without heat are on the back and we use a woodstove to heat those rooms.
The stove is in our family room.

Carole, my daughter does things like that with her girls. I am amazed at how much time she spends making things special for them. Every day things that we think nothing of become something special for them.
I think it is a wonderful gift a mother does for her child/children. What wonderful memories you have given to Pumpkin that she will remember.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 09 2017 3:23:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  4:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning the teacher was trying to get our little wiggler to finish his work. So I called the kids over to the space where she reads to them. I looked through her pile of books and pulled out an old one. So old...1959! It was monitone, not colorful. I told the kids it was made when I was still a kid. It was a story about a little boy who woke up to find his daddy was at home with the family...because of a big snowfall overnight. It talked about snow plows clearing snow from streets, and the fun things he and his dad did in the snow that day. Teacher and I had discussed how it was snowing, big snow, up north today...and little ears had heard us. It was a fun book, even though it was quite old.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 09 2017 4:29:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  7:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great story to read after the kids heard about all the snow up north.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  7:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. Just by accident or God's design???
I always think he plans things like that. They are just too cool.

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 09 2017 7:32:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  11:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, Love your story! Married to a Special Ed. teacher for 43 years, I love school stories!! I agree!I believe if you have a personal relationship with God, by that I mean you pray about everything in your life, study his word, you desire to make your corner a better place and you do the best you can, nothing is by accident! Just my personal belief! Every one has their on experience! We are all so unique! That's why no 2 of us in the whole world have the same finger prints!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  3:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Connie we are all so different. Even whale tails are all different just like our fingerprints.
Hadlee and I had a great adventure this afternoon. Her big sister dropped her off at my work and after we finished up, she drove us, in my vehicle, over to Granbury to the Michael's craft store. Both of us had an item we needed...but they did not have. However between the two of us we found some treasures. She even had her own money and more than enough! She got things for the planner I gave her at Christmas. I finally found some embossing tools with little ball ends...well she had to get some too...not for crafts but to do nails. A chocolate shake for her and we came home. She told me she had a great time. SWEET! Next time we will drive to Weatherford. It is further...but she tells me the store is larger, with more goodies.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 10 2017 4:05:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  7:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you had a really great time Marilyn.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9578 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9578 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  05:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always nice to spend time with the young ones!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  06:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did have fun. Thanks.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 11 2017 06:38:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  07:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Last night my financial planner paid for a Girls Night Out for his clients who are single or widowed at Painting with a Twist; one of my quilting friends was my guest. my financial planner had a Girls Night Out for his clients who are single or widowed. We painted a cute picture - at least we all started out painting the same picture. Once we got the background painted, a few gals took off and did their own thing, with some interesting modifications. It was a wild bunch and we had a good time. Here's a picture of what I painted, which WAS the painting that they were teaching and that most of us made - perfect for Valentine's Day.

Now I need to figure out where to hang it. LOL! If some of you have never gone to Painting with a Twist (or some have slightly different names) you should try it. It is a lot of fun.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  07:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Linda. Sounds like a fun place to share with a friend.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  07:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda - that is lovely! You should be really proud of it!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  10:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, what a fun treat you and your friend had! I think your wall hanging turned out wonderful and will be great in your home or porch.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting by a warm fire rockin' with friends Feb 17 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page