YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  07:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Texas history was my favorite 7th grade class and March is full of our history. March 2, 1836 Texas declares it's independence from Mexico. March 6 the Alamo falls. April 21 Sam Houston defeats Santa Anna at Jan Jacinto and the legend of the Yellow Rose of Texas begins.

There's nothing in the official history of Texas about a woman being with Santa Anna at San Jacinto but the story persists. Story goes Santa Anna was occupied with her when Sam Houston and his army attacked and Santa Anna surrendered.

The song Yellow Rose of Texas is said to be based on the story. I don't know for sure whether the story is true or not but I kinda think so. So thanks to Mrs Smith and her love of Texas history I have been in love with all things Texas since I was twelve. It also explains my screen name, my Yellow Rose Cottage, and collection of pictures of yellow roses. I have tried twice to grow yellow roses in Paris but without success. Have a miniature one coming in April and I hope it will thrive.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I too love our history. I think Texas was settled much like America. People from many different countries arrived overland or by ships that came to ports along the coast. My daddy's mother, the youngest in her family, born on the day her dad died(he was 39) was the first white child born in Knox County Texas.(1880) My husband's family arrived in Erath County in about 1860. His great great grandfather was a Texas Ranger, whose job was to protect the settlers from the Indians. One of his ancestors received a land grant in Austin Colony, one of the original areas settled when the Empeserios brought people to this wild area. Genealogy is interesting and knowing a bit about our ancestors makes the history more meaningful. I loved getting to sub for the coaches...because they are the Histiory teachers. I am a story teller and kids love it when you can combine history and some personal stories. They learn, but it becomes more meaningful to them.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 05 2017 1:09:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  1:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, where is Knox County? You have a rich family history.

My daddy's family can only be traced back to his father. In the late 1800's they came to Texas on a wagon train from somewhere on the White River in Missouri. On the way a young girl was killed when she went to the creek for water. Killer was never found. When they reached Texas on the west side of Dallas county granddaddy settled in what now is Farmers Branch and his brother went to California never to be heard of again.

My daddy's watermelon farm was on California Crossing Rd that crossed the Trinity River west of us. I still like to think that's where my great-granddaddy crossed. Goodnight Lane crossed California Crossing Rd before you got to the river. Charles Goodnight, one of the biggest ranchers, drove his cattle to market on that trail that became Goodnight Lane. Growing up I didn't realize how I was surrendered by history.

Less is know about my mother's side of the family. Her daddy came to Texas from Tennessee where his daddy was a doctor and Church of Christ preacher who rode the circuit preaching and healing. Granddaddy on the hand was sorta of a rounder. Wouldn't be surprised if he was running from something when he came to Texas.

My mother was Irish and she talked about her grandmothers with a thick Irish accent. Two of her grandmothers rode horseback at 102 to show the other they could do it. One lived to be 105 - don't know about the other. Now I wished I had asked more questions about our family when I was young and before all the ones who knew their stories had passed on.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  2:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more California Crossing Road memory before I move on. It runs east from Hwy 77 west to the Trinity River. Between Hwy 77 and the river Hwy 119 crosses California Crossing Road. Hwy 119 was one of the highways that Bonnie and Clyde used to evade lawmen. They stayed in west Dallas and Oak Cliff so Hwy 119 was easy for them to access. If those country roads and two lane highways could tell tales wouldn't you want to hear them.

One thing I realized in this last story is I have been writing in past tense like these roads no longer exists. I corrected the tense in these story but I will leave the others to my memory.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  4:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I enjoyed that interesting History of Texas. Thank you Ladies.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  4:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, I'm glad you enjoyed Marilyn and mine trip into the past.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  4:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, Knox County is up north, next to Baylor County. I was born in Seymour, Baylor County. My dad's family came to America very early on...second boat from across the pond. They were Scottish, driven into Ireland, but did not tarry there. On to England where my great grand father a few generations back went to Oxford University. That set the tone for his family of teachers, preachers, community leaders. One of the sons started the Oxford Furnace, named to honor his father. I think that was in Pennsylvania. The women who married the early Robinson men were also here early on. It is fun to go back in time and follow trails because there were not so many people.
My mother's family came over from the south of France in 1700. They landed in Virginia. Last name Boundourant...over time it became Bundrant. They were Hugonauts who fled because of religious persecution. That grandfather...Jean Pierre was a doctor. His descendants were shop keepers, preachers and ranchers.
This is more recent history...but my great great grandmother was a Hancock before marriage. Her sister married a man named Carter. She was the great grand mother of Amon G. Carter...Star Telegram, Arlington, Texas, etc. Funnier still...They named his dad Giles Amon Carter. And he being a Jr, would have had that same name but they switched it around.
The man who led the raid on Palo Euro Canyon, killing Indians and horses...he is somewhere back there in my tree...although not too direct, thank goodness. He went crazy and was placed in an institution back East.
As we seek and discover our ancestors, they are not all wonderful.
My grand daughters, son and husband have a famous grand father. Daniel Boone!
Eight generations back for the girls.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  5:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How neat! Yes I have enjoyed it immensely.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  8:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, it makes me sad when I think of the hardships our ancestors went through, just to survive, but it also makes me admire their determination to make a life for their family. I am happy to say that for the most part, my people were good, honest, God fearing folks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  10:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that is wonderful.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  10:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, how wonderful to know that much about your family. Not too long ago I saw a documentary on the History Channel about the Texas Rangers and the raid on Palo Euro Canyon was part of it. Talk about rough stuff the first Texas Rangers were tough men. When they were after someone they crossed state lines and even into Mexico if they had to to get their man. In front of the Texas History Building at Fair Park is a statue of a Ranger that says "One Riot One Ranger".
I don't know about our big cities but Rangers are called in on every murder or bank robbery in small towns.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  03:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing I have noticed...we are related to way more people than we ever imagined. I have also noticed how God puts people in our paths, are they strangers or are they distant relatives. I thought and still do believe that my mother's second husband was related to my husband...he reminded me so much of my husband's grandfather. Someday I will do more research. I think they were distant cousins, with the same last name. Families often settled within 30 to 40 miles of each other. My husband never asked questions of his mom or grandmother. His grandmother told me so many wonderful things about their family...after all, I say she finished raising me. I was 18 when we married, no baby for over two years...so I spent a lot of time with her, cooking, crocheting, quilting, just visiting. I loved her so much...still do.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 06 2017 03:18:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  06:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I came to Texas as fast as I could. LOL! Though not from Texas, I have a famous great person as a relative - Ulyses S. Grant. My great grandmother on my mother's side came to Illinois from New York on the Orphan Train, along with her brother and younger sister. Her younger sister died along the way (I think) and her brother was taken in by a fammily who only wanted another farm hand. He ended up running away from that home and got an education on his own, and ended up with one of the largest private libraries in the state of Indiana. He also wrote many books on several Indiana counties history. Well, my great grandmother was adopted by the Ulyses S. Grant family - so he is a relative by adoption.

The Orphan Train is a piece of history that most people have never heard of. Between 1854 and 1929, over 200,000 orphaned or homeless children were transported west and found new homes. There were so many orphaned children due to the outbreaks of typhoid, yellow fever and flu. There have been many books and a couple movies about the Orphan Train.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 06 2017 06:32:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  06:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I am so glad you found your way to Texas.

Your story of the Orphan Train reminded me how it was both a good and bad thing. Some of the children found loving homes while others became farm hands.

Before moving to Paris I lived in Howe and went to church in Van Alstyne seven miles south. At church I met a man who had come to Anna five miles south of Van Alstyne on the Orphan Train. He was taken in by one of the wealthier farmers and raised as a son. When he died the newspaper told his story on the front page.

Part of his story was he went to Washington DC with other farmers for Willie Nelson's first Farm Aid. It snowed in DC that year and the farmers cleared the streets of DC with their plows. Willie was on tour when Bob died but he sent an letter to the family. From the Orphan Train to Washington DC and a friend of Willie Nelson, Bob's story was one of the good ones.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  07:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is great that you know of the Orphan Train, Sara. Most people have never heard of it.

And Yes, Sara, there were good and bad stories. Basically the children were "adopted" only by the parents saying they would take in the child or children. Many family members, like my great grandmother and her brother, were separated. He was a bit older than she was, though, and did know where she was taken in, so they were able to be in contact as they grew older.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  07:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I knew about the Orphan Train before I met Bob. When I was growing up I heard the old folks talk about it. Wish I had paid more attention to their stories.

It's good he knew how to get in touch with his sister. It would have been hard for kin to be separated.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2017 :  11:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I learned about the orphan trains from a book in the school library. Some times a father would leave his family because there was no work, and he could not feed his family. Then often times the mother had to give the children up...So they could have food. One train came through Weatherford Texas. The children were made to stand on the train station platform while local people looked them over. Sadly many siblings were sent in different directions. Many tears were shed. There were other trains that traveled west from the New York area, and they had babies on them. Times were hard. When I look at old photos, the people rarely smiled...life was hard, there was not a lot to smile or laugh about.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is always interesting to hear about state history. I love to learn about what happened and how this place ended up being like it is today. Florida has a rich past starting with the Spanish landing around St. Augustine in the 1500s. It was a very difficult state to settle because Malaria took the explorers out with a vengeance. We specialize in mosquitoes down here!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  4:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Empeserios had a difficult job getting people interested in coming to this wild place in the beginning. After all, who wants to live in a contested unsettled area, where you might be scalped or your children stolen by Indians. It happened more than once.
Across from the Zoo in Fort Worth they have assembled some historic log cabins. We went there on a field trip. A docent told a story of a family living in a cabin in Parker County. The mother put a pot of stew on to cook in her big pot in the fire place one morning. She and the kids were home alone because her husband had gone for supplies. The mom heard a strange sound later in the morning. Quickly she got the kids and herself up the ladder into the attic space, and closed the scuttle hole. (She also took her pot of stew and her baby up there.) Soon the Indians entered the cabin. They were in and out most of the remainder of the day, but never discovered the family hidden in the attic. Thank goodness. Some mothers had to smother crying babies to save the rest of their family when the Indians were raiding. Thankfully that mom did not.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 07 2017 4:39:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  5:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, there must be more stories similar to that one.

We've been talking about Texas history and Marilyn's story about Indian raids reminded me of this story set in Maine.

When my son was a baby we were at a park in Dallas and a woman came over when she heard me talking to Dustin. She asked if it was a family name and I told her no. She went on to say she asked because in her family Dustin was a last name and she told me this story. I looked it up and the story is true.

Hannah Dustin, her baby, and a couple of her girl servants were captured by a small Indian hunting party. Her son was thrown against a tree and killed. Hannah and the girls were raped. They managed to escape but Hannah wanted to avenge their honor so they went back and killed and scalped the Indians. There's a statue of her in Maine.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  5:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. That is a story, Sara. She was a brave woman.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic A Bit of Texas History Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page