Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Nov 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Nov 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 6

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2016 :  09:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Bonnie, good to see you. So sorry to read about the health issues. I do hope that all will be healthy in no time. Keeping you and in my thoughts and prayers.

Winnie, head colds are not fun especially in a/c! Take care of yourself.

Yesterday my little Pumpkin had an adventure. Upon her return home for thanksgiving holiday her car broke down. The transmission line blew! She was 3.5 hours away from home. She managed to get everything taken care of. They towed her car to the Subaru dealer, the tow truck operator was kind and helpful. Drove down to pick her and her passenger up and back home we went. I logged 500 miles last night and didn't get to bed until 1:00 a.m. So thankful that her first break down incident was not dramatic. You just never know with cars. This was a wonderful learning opportunity for her and I'm proud at how she handled it.

This morning I headed down to Plattsburgh (semi large town 25 miles south of us) to pick up the last minute things for our thanksgiving celebration. We are expecting 27 people. What a wonderful time we always have. One of our cousins is coming from ND. Most of the others are from NJ, MA & NY. Friday we always do something special. Not sure what the gals will want to do but the guys are taking down 2 trees and playing some football. In the evening we are attending a hockey game.

As for later on today, I'm hoping Pumpkin's car will be ready so that we can head down and pick it up. That will be another 500 miles to log! But, I am thankful. It could have been worse.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration everyone! Hugs!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Nov 29 2016 09:40:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2016 :  1:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have quite an adventure ahead of you Carole, I hope you can or maybe already have gone to pick up Pumpkin's car.
Your Thanksgiving dinner and family sound wonderful and fun! Enjoy.
Take care and Happy Thanksgiving to you all as well!

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2016 :  4:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, life is generally an adventure. I am glad for you that you can be with family. Enjoy!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2016 :  4:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Safe travels to pick up Pumpkin's car.

My allergies are still stuffing my head up, but I think I am getting better. Ed came down with a cold (allergies?) too so we are both suffering together.

Tomorrow we are going to his son's house for Thanksgiving dinner. Looking forward to a nice Thanaksgiving, and hoping the Cowboys win their football game. :-)

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2016 :  5:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My week is upside down. Today felt like Friday...and I even said to my husband that it felt like tomorrow should be Saturday. Oh well.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2016 :  5:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! Today felt like Saturday to Ed and I. And it must be, because the Cowboys play tomorrow. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2016 :  6:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, now that you are in Wyoming, how far are you from grandparents? Does your family visit with Skype? I don't know anything about it, but I have a friend who uses it frequently.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  05:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wishing all of you at SPG a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!! Here is a photo of my breakfast staged like I had baked the apple scones( from a swap with Linda) in my vintage oven, They were actually baked in the regular oven! LOL!! But the scene reminds me of Thanksgiving morning at your Grandma's house where her stove would be the same old one and still cranking out delicious food for the family.

Enjoy your day with family and friends!! Lots of Farmgirl Hugs to you!!'

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  06:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love your stove, and the staged scene. Great job, Winnie!
Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  10:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, your stove just says "Home" to my heart!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
FGOTM August,2014
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  2:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the hot biscuits that my grandmother brought to the table, from her old wood cook stove oven, after we were all seated. A big blackened, shallow pan full of delightful hot bread ready for home churned butter and her home made jelly. Yum! Thanks for bringing back my memories.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 24 2016 2:05:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  10:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful pictures, thanks.

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9581 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9581 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2016 :  2:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, that's an awesome little stove you've got! A beautiful scene.

Carole, hope all went well with getting your pumpkin's car and enjoying your time with her!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6091 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6091 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2016 :  4:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I got a bunch of my Christmas cards out today and now my eyes are totally crossed. I have a million more to go.
It was a good day, except for the wind and rain.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2016 :  4:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our day was spent in Granbury, about 30 miles away. We looked at Christmas trees, ate burgers at Braums and waited for the girls to try on some garments.
We got a late start because Hadlee and her mom went to the doctor. All of the orthopaedic doctors in our town were gone for the holiday. The nurses dug around in a closet and came up with a vintage splint, which the doctor used along with an ace bandage to keep her arm still. It has a hair line fracture about 3" long. She was uncomfortable but determined to go on our annual family adventure. She is handicapped...which she reminded us of through out the day. On the way home she mentioned gift wrapping, which is her job each year. Then it occurred to her that she can not do that now. I told her she would find many things impossible, that she has taken for granted.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 25 2016 5:09:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2016 :  6:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I spent today looking at refrigerators. Leaning towards Sears Kenmore Elite one, also like a Kenmore. There is the same thing in an LG for $400 more - same features. Why is everything made overseas now, even Sears Kenmore?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2016 :  7:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps being made overseas is why my son said the life expectancy of modern appliances is about 10 years. The refrigerator that Julie's parents bought when they married almost 60 years ago is still running in her sister's basement.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2016 :  06:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I hope Hadlee's arm mends quickly and she will soon be able to do all the things she likes to do.

Linda, looking for appliances is no fun. Hope you find the fridge you want and it runs for decades.

My fridge came with my house. I paid $200 for it. I needed to replace my 15 year old fridge so it was a savings for me. I've had it for five years and I think they had it for 7-10 years. So far it runs like it did the day I moved in. The house also came with glass top stove which was good for me since my old house had all built-ins. I had to purchase new W&D.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2016 :  07:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My fridge is a Kenmore. It is beginning it's fourth year...No problems. I only wish I had gotten a larger one.We shop on Saturdays for our produce for the week. It has two crispers but that does not hold everything.
I wish you could design your own refrigerator to fit your family's needs...but then that would be very expensive.
So far the third new Kitchenaid refrigerator is still working at my son's house.It has lasted longer than the other two...let's hope it continues.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 26 2016 07:19:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2016 :  4:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda we had Sears Kenmore, it's about 15 yrs old still running good! Now they want you to appliance shop every 10 to 15 yrs. our first fridge was 20 yrs old, we got it used from the newspaper. We just bought a new washer, the guy said you should get 10 yrs out of it. Whirlpool from Lowes hardware.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2016 :  5:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a new Sears Kenmore Elite today. I love the features. It is really larger than I need for just me and Ed - 29.6 cu ft. We looked at the Scratch-and-Dent Sears outlet and they had one, but it was TOO scratched and dented. LOL! My mother's last refrigerator lasted over 15 years - probably over 20. They no longer make them like that, though. It will be delivered on Dec 8th. I can't wait!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Nov 26 2016 5:06:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2016 :  7:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you will enjoy your new fridge. Waiting is the hardest part.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2016 :  07:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoying a quiet morning even though it is overcast with a feeling of a storm to come.

Later today I'm planning on making new bonnets for my two rag dolls, Pearl and Dusta Rose. Nancy on the MJF site posted a picture of her new Amish doll and that inspired me to gussy up my girls.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2016 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks can be deceiving...dreary, dark, cloudy, windy day...but when I went out to tend my chickens, the temperature was very pleasant.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2016 :  4:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Temperature was nice, Marilyn. Maybe I can get some decorations up this week.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Nov 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page