Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the porch rocker with quilt chatting - Oct 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch rocker with quilt chatting - Oct 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 6

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  03:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I'm sorry for the loss of the mother and hope you find a good home for the baby. Baby animals are so adorable but round the clock feeding and cleaning up after them are not.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  04:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
He slept all night (4 hours) in the box in the bathtub and ate well again this morning. Before Ed left for work we put him out in a large pen next to the barn (by flashlight). I will check him again at sunrise (so I can see).

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  04:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Darlene - If we hadn't gone to Ed's yesterday afternoon they probably both would have died. Hopefully this little one will survive; however, we think he was premature. We are doing what we can.

Thanks Darlene and Sara for your good thoughts.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  04:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh how sad, Linda.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com
VLOG- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rAaWB8U8t13yBZCd-nwLA
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  05:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda did you get some baby calf milk replacer, like calf mana? I have bought a lot in my lifetime...but found out recently that the real milk (not soy, etc.) is over $40 at tractor supply. It was worth it because we have a beautiful, healthy baby

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  06:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, we are using a colostrum replacement and milk replacement. I'll check out the other at Tractor Supply. Someone told us we should have milked the dead cow to get her milk. We didn't know that and never thought about doing that. It was pitch dark outside when we found her.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  10:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know why she died Linda? The baby will do good with you all.

Take care.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  11:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, sometimes another mama cow will adopt an orphan and allow it to nurse with her own. A lot of dairy men used to keep a nurse cow to raise the little heifer calves they wanted to keep.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  11:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, as long as you gave it some colostrum replacer the calf should be fine. We also do electrolytes if the calf is looking sickly or has scours. After about a week you can start stretching out those feedings and in a few weeks you will only be doing a 2 quart bottle a couple times a day. I usually end up with at least 1 bottle calf each season. I train mine to drink the milk out of the bucket by 6 weeks, great time saver. We always have a bucket of water and fresh hay in the pen at all times, they just nose around it at first, but get the hint after awhile. You can tell if the calf is premature by the development of its teeth. Good luck.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  11:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a cow has her calf on a terrace and her body and head are lower than her feet...She probably will not ever be able to get up and walk. It must do something to their brain. We had one and even used a sling and tractor to get her up right...but had to shoot her. If they have the baby on an overcast or cloudy day they may go down. We had two who did this. We were there and got a vet out quickly. The vets gave them something in their neck, and in a bit they were able to walk again. The mom could have been paralyzed by the birth???Then there is gangreen mastitis. A horrible way for a cow to die. I cried and cried over that one.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 31 2016 11:58:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  12:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Halloween everyone!! It is going to be 86 here today so it seems more like August than the end of October. Poor children are going to be hot in their costumes tonight!!

Here is my pumpkin for the front porch. I carved it yesterday and lit it to give it a try out.

Trick or Treat!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  12:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie you have an old cook stove, similar to the one we had when I was four years old. Cute Jack o lantern.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  1:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie great autumn scene. I look forward to seeing how you do the little stove up for the changing seasons.

My sister and I made several stops this morning and my find of the day was at Dollar General. A lamp base in the form of the Eiffel Tower. The finish matches the plate stand on the other end of the bookcase where it will sit. Bought a red lamp shade for it. The Eiffel Tower with a red cowboy hat is the mascot of Paris. Can't believe I am so excited about a funky little lamp stand and a red shade. My sister just shook her head and smiled. You know that kind of smile that says you must be kidding or insane.

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  7:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I think you are talking about a calcium deficiency a cow can develope right after giving birth, a quick injection or IV can quickly get them back on thier feet. You are right, if there is another cow that has lost her calf, you can sometime graft an orphan calf onto her, although it takes a lot of convincing to get that to happen. Had to chuckle on the overcast and cloudy day statement, we have calfed upto 300 cows at a time many not only on cloudy and overcast days but also in rain and snowstorms and don't loose to many cows due to the weather conditions.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  7:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Halloween Winnie, It is raining here. I did get 2 boys trick or treating so far. We shall see.

Take care everyone..

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  7:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The vet told us that about the cloudy day thing. One of ours went down in the doorway into the milking parlor...leader of the pack. That was one slow milking.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  7:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I bet it was slow milking. What kind of cows do you have. a friend of mine works on a dairy here and they have Holsteins They have a hard time getting them up when they fall.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  03:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, we did milk Holsteins, but not now.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  06:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good news about the calf. First, he took to the bottle pretty quickly Sunday night when we brought him to my house, and we stood him up and he stood the entire time he was sucking. He slept in a box in the bathtub all night after eating. In the morning we moved him to a pen next to my barn. I stood him up in the pen and he stood for quite a while without taking a step. My DIL and grandsons came over and she massaged his hips and heard a pop! We think his hips had dislocated during birth, because when they popped he started walking around, then hopping around. LOL! Before, his back legs always seemed to want to cross, and that was why he wasn't walking.

He also has a new home. I contacted a neighbor who raises horses and is sponsor of the 4H group here. I told her I was looking for a 4H-er who would like to raise a bottle-fed calf. She knew someone who home-schools who has raised several bottle-fed calves and also has a petting zoo and gives pony rides. Gina (mom) and Hannah (daughter) came by yesterday morning and loved BB (my name for the calf - stood for Baby Bull). They live about 5 minutes from me and Gina said she has a contingent of kids for around-the-clock care of animals, if necessary. They loved that he is a lo-line calf, not a full size cow; he weighed just under 24 pounds at birth. They could not believe how small he was. Lo-line animals also are good with people. They took BB with them - he rode on her daughter's lap. When I texted later and asked how the calf liked his car ride she said he was so comfortable on Hannah's lap that he relaxed completely and peed on her. And we can visit any time we like.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  08:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda!

Your calf sounds very happy! That is wonderful news and I am glad you figured out his little legs.
That must have been painful for him.

Have a great day!

Farmgirl # 4943

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Nov 01 2016 11:58:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  09:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I'm happy BB has a new good home.

Leaves are really falling now so by next week I will start raking and won't finish until the end of Jan.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  09:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Darlene - It is my boyfriend's (Ed) calf, not Marilyn's. LOL! Yes, he is doing well. I hope he keeps progressing like this.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  11:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy did you do good finding BB a new home! Now some kids can love him and feed him. It was also good that your DIL knew how to help him. My son's cows are Mexican Langhorne. The babies are quite small. Rarely is there ever a birthing issue. In fact we only have one skull with curled horns and Hadlee claimed it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9587 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9587 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  11:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you found the little one a good new home. It's not unusual for any babies to be born with a dislocated hip. Animal or human.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  11:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Linda, I got off track.I am glad for the baby calf that it is doing better.

Take care.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch rocker with quilt chatting - Oct 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page