Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the porch rocker with quilt chatting - Oct 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch rocker with quilt chatting - Oct 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 6

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  03:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night a little before eight lights went out on my side of town. It's so easy to take light in the night for granite. But the minute we loose power we realize just how dark the night can really be.

I had clothes in the dryer that had to be taken out before they wrinkled so I hung clothes in my closet by the light of flameless candles. I went to bed and an hour or so the lights came back on.

The moral of my little story is to keep plenty of flameless candles and batteries on hand - they're perfect for power failures.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  03:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tip Sara!!! Been in that situation plenty! I have a few coal oil lamps for general living are and bathroom light.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com
VLOG- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rAaWB8U8t13yBZCd-nwLA
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."

Edited by - DandeeRose on Oct 25 2016 03:57:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  04:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a super weekend! It was a fun and tiring, though! Sort of last minute, we decided to attend the Mother Earth News fair in Topeka, KS. We only got to attend Sunday, since we left so late. The wealth of information available at one of these conferences is astounding. Too bad I can't be at every stage at the same time! Ha!! The closing talk was none other than Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms. Matt got to listen to his early talk "Salad Bar Beef", but I attended the Garlic presentation (I have about 6# of cloves on the table to plant! :O ). I certainly didn't want to miss his "Benchmarks of Truth"! Even for "ReWild the Child"!! Before hand, I shyly approached him to ask if he would sign Matt's copy of Salad Bar Beef. I was scared he'd say no, but he didn't and even wrote a small note to Matt. His smile was so genuine! After his lecture, and a bathroom trip before hitting the road, he was standing by the door, I asked him to take a photo. He obliged and happily talked with us for about 10 minutes on the way out (security had to ask us 3 times to leave! lol!) I have read "Folks, This ain't normal!", so had Matt, and I appreciated his ideals and practices. Now I love him even more!!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  04:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alicia, the first seven years of my life I lived on a farm without electricity. All we had were coal oil lamps and I still remember the dark corners of the living room.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  04:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We must have been posting at the same time. So glad you got to attend and meet and chat with one of your favorite authors. That's always a treat.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  06:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always keep candles and flameless lights about for that unexpected loss of power. It seems like the volatile weather in Florida can wipe out the electricity more times than I care to count. The one thing that worries me the most is prolonged outage and the refrigerator/freezer.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have oil lamps around but they made me nervous so I use battery lanterns, they are very bright, and I have all kind of light things I only have to remember to have batteries.
That is just me, I don't like fire much.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  2:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have candles, but won't use them unless it is an emergency. I know several firefighters, and they see first hand the damage that candles can do. Also, my brother almost lost his house due to a fire started by a tealight candle.

I do have battery operated candles that I like for ambiance.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  3:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have not had prolonged outages, but I have a collection of oil lamps and only enough oil to fill two of them. I have a few candles, but do not use them. My husband says the welder has a generator to keep the freezer cold if needed. The fridge...there is nothing worse than spoiled or blinky milk. But the chickens love it. No power, no oven...the burners will light with matches but the oven????? Water wells are also electric. No water? That is not good. Especially with animals. I have been washing milk jugs out with soap and water and filling with clean water just in case. I spent a winter with a frozen well when my son was three and I vowed to always have water on hand after that miserable experience.
Which bottled water tastes best to the rest of you. I love our well water, but I buy water for the lunch box when I have to make lunches. My husband complained about the water I purchased last time.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 25 2016 3:44:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9582 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9582 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  6:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have oil lamps for every room for a prolonged outage and JT uses a generator on the job when electric isn't available so we would use that for our freezer and fridge if need be. Usually I will not open the freezer when we lose power because it will stay colder long if I don't. We have had up to 4/5 days without power and I haven't lost anything from the freezer at those times.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  6:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is good to know Denise. I knew not to open one, but did not realize how long the food would keep.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  9:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess Sudden link had a large outage yesterday affecting a lot of our County. Phones Internet and TV. It didn't bother me this time. I have AT&T. Apparently a tree fell on a fiber optic line. Then someone said that someone was stealing some wires too.

Ahhh such is life.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Oct 25 2016 10:16:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  9:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. That is crazy. We have had no service several times but usually it comes when the sun is blowing its stack.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  06:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generators are such a godsend when we have prolonged outages, sometimes they can last for days here. We have 2 very large ones, one for the house and one for the barn and livestock waterers. I keep lanterns both oil and propane on hand and lots of flame less candles on hand for the short outages.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  08:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Brrr! It's chili here in way northeast. Goodness, what happened to our gorgeous warmish fall weather? Such a sudden drop in temperatures. I haven't been doing much power walking/jogging as of late due to the much needed rain. I did check out our local fitness center and will most probably get myself a membership so that I can continue on this "health" thing during the winter months. My bp is so good right now, I really wouldn't want it to get back up again.

Tomorrow morning (around 4ish a.m.) I am leaving for Houston. I hear the weather has been gorgeous. Looking forward to some "me" time. Although I'm working for Fibre, I look at these trips as a mini vacation and right now I am in dyer need of a vacation. I haven't had any time off all year! I'm so looking forward to touching all the new fabrics that will be coming out in 2017.

Last night was "girls night out"! Myself and group of ladies meet once a month over dinner to bounce ideas off each others. To get myself in the mood for my trip, I had some nachos! Not as great as in Houston, but ... heck that Porter Beer was sure amazing. I enjoy a dark beer during cold season.

It's hard to believe that I will not be home for Halloween. It is one of my favourite holidays along with Christmas. I did prepare some goodie bags for DH to pass. I'll be in flight on Hallows Eve!

Well best be preparing Fibre for the "Shoppe Troll" (as this staff likes to call herself). Later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9582 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9582 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  5:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I meant to mention that the freezer was full. If it isn't things won't stay frozen as long. One reason why I like to keep it full.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is full. It needs to be defrosted and I am collecting ice chests now so it can be defrosted and organized. This weekend.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  6:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a fun time Carole with all those fabrics. You can still enjoy Halloween Texas style.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  05:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We need a generator! We used to have outages all the time, luckily not so much anymore. We like fire, though. Sometimes we light a lamp or candles for the enjoyment of it.

I think Deer Park is the bottled water I used to buy?

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  05:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoy your trip , Carole! I bet it will be fun and a wonderful opportunity to mingle with other shop owners and see what is going to be coming up for next year. I always loved to go to nursing conventions and see the new equipment and learn what others are doing. Plus it is fun to stay in a hotel and not have to be responsible for any housework or meals. Let us know what" spooky sights" you see during your flight home on All Hallows Eve!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  06:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have never been to the Houston Quilt Show. I have it on my calendar, but not sure we will make it this year. Now that we have a motorhome, maybe that can be our first roadtrip? I would have enough room to bring back some not-really-needed-but-necessary-and beautiful-for-a-future-project fabrics.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9582 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9582 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  1:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, that sounds like a plan.
Carole, enjoy your trip!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2016 :  9:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, today started out calm but ended up sadly. We went to Ed's church to pick up the carriage we had left there yesterday for their fall festival. Then Ed and I went to Costco to pick up some birthday/Christmas presents for my grandsons. Next was eating.

Then our unusual day began, so to speak. We went to Ed's house to check on his low-line cows. When we were counting the cows to make sure all 10 were there, I counted an extra in the lower pasture. Turns out he had JUST been born, and mom was still cleaning off the afterbirth. We also discovered that one of the bulls had gone through the fence and into the neighbor's yard. It took us quite a while to get him back home. Then we went back to the mom and calf - he was not yet standing so he wasn't eating. Ed mixed up some colostrum and tried to bottle-feed it to him. He was not suckling very well yet and kept trying to stand but was not yet standing up. He sucked some of the formula and we decided to leave he and his mother alone for a while and feed him some more later. About half-hour later we went outside and found his mother dead. We brought the calf inside and put him in a large box Ed had. We again fed him some more colostrum and this time he started suckling and drank the small bottle of it. We decided to bring him to my house and I now have a baby calf in a box in my bathtub for the night. Ed is getting ready to feed him some more before we go to bed. We are looking for a local 4H student who would like to raise this calf. I hope we find someone soon, to take over feeding and care. Wish us luck.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2016 :  9:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, farm adventures!!! I know it is sad that the cow died, and I am sorry. This reminds me of myself, my best friend and my son's adventures with orphan and abandoned baby calves. I did laugh at your adventure though. Babies are so sweet.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 30 2016 9:52:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6092 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6092 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2016 :  10:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that is so much work for cows and caring for them. We have dairy cows here but I am never around them. Sorry for the loss of the cow though. Hope you find a good 4H member to take over the calf.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch rocker with quilt chatting - Oct 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page