Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Edging towards the front porch - April 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 5

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  1:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole
What hard work, I bet it will be beautiful!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  5:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Carole, what a project. Sorry about the water leak, we have had a few of those too. With the nice weather we are going full steam ahead with seeding. Since I am the support team right now I find myself pulled in many different directions from delivering fuel, seed, coffee and meals to checking pregnant cows and feeding. Today in between all the farm chores I did manage to wash my windows and screens and plant a few bleeding hearts I had picked up in town. The granddaughters are coming over in a few minutes for a sleep over, they will be going to town at 7 in the morning to help pick up the bountiful baskets orders and farm supplies. Hope every one has a great weekend!

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, sounds like you are very busy. What seeds are you planting ? I assume this is acerage you are planting.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  6:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's quite a project, Carole. I hope you can finish it soon.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  7:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie have a great time with the sleep over and your plantings and everything else, Rest when you can.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2016 :  9:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now we are seeding durum Wheat Marilyn. Than it will be onto corn, soybeans, flax sunflowers and field peas. Many, many acres to go yet.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  04:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! First off, I have to apologize, I'm going to be just a little late for the swaps this month. I hope to get them all out first thing next week. This is the last few weeks of the last semester of grad school for Bonnie, and she is really up to her eyeballs between school and work. So Lily is with me almost 24-7. My mom has been having a rough patch, too. She's getting more confused and distracted. She put a paper plate in the toaster oven! Luckily, no real harm done, but scary! Her companion got another job, so I'll only have her one day a week, now. But, the sun is out, God's in his heaven, and I still feel blessed! Well, enough from me. Carole, did you get your bathroom done? Julie, did you have a fun sleepover? Gosh, when I read about your busy farm life I feel like a slacker!

Oh, one more thing. Today is primary day in Delaware. We don't usually get much attention because we're so small, but this year we got a big surprise. Former President Bill Clinton just dropped in down to the diner about a mile from my house! I wasn't there, but everyone said he spoke to each and everyone in there personally. Well be talking about this one for years!

Have a wonderful day, all!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  05:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, it is so interesting to hear about how a large farm like yours really works. Such hard work, but what would folks like me do without farmers like you in North Dakota who bring us so many important crops? I hope our Florida orange juice helps you start your days from dawn to dusk!

Amy, your hands and arms are quite full these days with life. Take care of you in the midst of so much going on!

Carole, how did the bathroom renovations go last weekend? I hope there weren't any surprises!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  07:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Julie, how many acres does your family tend to?
My son built a new home, about 12 miles from town, for a lady and her daughter. They Rodeo and came to Texas from Nebraska. She brought us some of the best flour I have ever used, from her farm up there (in a cloth bag). Her farm, passed down to her, is 20,000 acres. Of course it is farmed, not by her but others. From what I understand they grow a lot of different things.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  07:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, Florida orange juice, strawberries and all the rest of your lovely winter produce keep us going. So thankful for all the farmers around the world.

Marilyn, when I am feeling real ambitious I will clean and grind our own wheat and durum for bread and pasta. It is a lengthy process. It does give the finished product amazing texture and flavor.

Amy, your plate is so full. Please take care and know that many are thinking of you. My Mother-in-law is still in Arizona but we will have to start thinking about bringing her home soon and deciding on in home care givers or a memory care facility.

Our sleepover was great fun, we watched a movie that talked about ocean pollution, perfect for earth day. Took fuel out to grandpa in our Jammie's and had a bedtime snack with him in the field and played several hands of Uno.

Still raining here so today I am laying out the blocks of an afghan I have been working on forever and start sewing them together. It will be one more WIP done. Does anyone else have loads of WIP tucked away?

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  08:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Amy, hang it there girl friend. You've got our support!

Julie, I so enjoy reading about your farming adventures. It's a great reminded for all of us to be thankful for our farmers and farmettes!

Bathroom renovations are going. I miss my sink! Brushing my teeth in the tub just doesn't cut it for me! lol It truly is the small things in life that are important. If you want to take a peak, I did a blog post on the renovations. You may check it out here:

http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com/2016/04/where-its-at.html

I'm thinking, if possible, that I leave the brick exposed behind the toilet. The brick is kind of rough, but perhaps we can seel it with something and make it look pretty. It will only be a small amount exposed behind, as a cabinet is going up on the left (by the entrance door) of the toilet. DH is thinking about it!

Tonight is "Girls night out"! I'm going out to dinner with some friends. Always a treat to catch up!

Off to get some work done! Enjoy the day! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Apr 26 2016 08:14:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  10:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOhhh, Carole, I love that exposed brick! I would love to have a place in my house with 120 year brick to enjoy. Can't wait to see the final project. Hang in there with the inconveniences!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  10:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy Carole your bathroom is coming right along. It is going to be nice. I can't wait to see it when it is done..

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  10:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With everyone so busy, how do you even have time to post. Lol Julie, thanks for all the good stuff you plant. When I was on the farm in southern Iowa when I was a kid, my uncle used to plant using percherons. Farming sure has changed. I'd never heard of soybeans until I was an adult. My cousin plants corn and beans too and this is one busy season.that durum wheat was what made Minneapolis the milling capital of the U.S. In the early 1900s.keep us posted with your progress.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  04:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goodness everyone is busy, busy. But it is that time of year.

Amy, hope you find some down time for you. Caregiving is a challenge and you have quite full hands at the moment.

Julie, so enjoy hearing about all you are doing and what goes on with the farm. I use to get wheat that I would have to clean first before milling. It was a task to get it done. Now I get it already cleaned but love making things myself from it.

Carole, renovations are always interesting. But it makes me glad we don't have to use outdoor facilities anymore!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 27 2016 04:36:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  04:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolutely love coming on here and reading about everyone's adventures and REAL life!

Carole - your bathroom is going to be such a delightful area and be worth all the hard work and inconvenience! The exposed brick is quite lovely and enhances the beauty of the room! What a story it tells! I had to laugh about using the bathtub to brush your teeth! When I was in college, I rented a house with a few friends. The one girl kept her toothbrush in the shower.... She brushed her teeth while showering! Thinking about it now, I guess that means she did not brush her teeth at night's, lol. I'll have to ask her if she still does that! How was girls' night out?

Julie - I too enjoy reading about life on your farm! It is hard to wrap my brain around all that you do in a day, as I have never really been a part of that circle of life... As our homestead progresses over the years to come, we are hoping to experience some of it on a MUCH smaller scale.

Amy - sounds like your life is very full right now! How old is Lily again? Sorry to hear your mom is doing so poorly! It is scary when things happen that could have been a catastrophe... Not so much the could be catastrophe thing, but just where they are mentally. My grandmother use to take out her dentures after she ate, to clean them, and then would wrap them in a paper towel while they dried, before putting them back in her mouth... We would have to go on scavenger hunts to find them as time progressed, as she would put them somewhere and forget where! We would find them in the freezer, the microwave, and yes, sometimes the trash cans! Gosh do I miss her! Anyways.... I can only imagine the tizzy everyone in DE was in about Clinton being there! The Air Force base was probably closed down for the most part, at least I assume they can still use the bases. Hmmmm might have to ask hubby about that tonight, if I remember :)

Life here is pretty steady and normal :) I am busy packing in between schooling the kids. They are so ready for a break and honestly, I am too. We have the required number of days, so I might relax on them a little bit. I just know with moving, whether it happens this summer or fall, school is going to be only half focused on! I would rather get as many good days as I can right now!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  06:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning Everyone, Trying to get back in the swing of things. Internet has been down for a week and after lots of phone calls and three service men I now have my internet and home phone back. But in the mean time over the weekend I made the wedding cake for a wedding, then yesterday I had a cookie order to deliver this morning and another on Friday. All while still keeping my granddaughter for about 6 go 7 hours a day. Shelby is 5. Life has just been busy here and I have been missing all of you.
Carole I know what it is to remodel a bathroom, Mark and I just did that in January but it is so pretty now. I know you will really like it when all is done. Sounds like you have good help.
Julie take a moment for yourself when you have a chance.
Amy you too take a few moment when you can. I know what it's like to keep a little one. And then with your mother too, hoping things start to go a little better for you and her.
Take care everyone and hoping the rest of your week is good.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  7:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, those remodel projects seem to take forever when you're living through them! Julie how amazing your farm life, just fascinating. Amy sorry about your Mom. Sherry I hope that your internet is up and running! Traveling and trying to get caught up on everything here. Busy time of year. Hugs, Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  03:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, if your children are interested, working hard, etc. I would keep on keeping on. In public school I always felt I had September, October and about half of November before their excitement built for Christmas and I changed gears with them. They still learned, but through more fun type activities. Then January, February and early March. After that it was a struggle. In Texas we have Spring Break, then major testing. I always worked very hard trying to keep us focused. My brain could come up with some great ideas, but they usually made us all more active. Shannon, as you clear out things, packing up, you might have room to be pioneers. The last year I taught first grade, we cleared our rooms, tied a rope up high, across the room, then two more a bit lower. A flat sheet became our tent. A water bucket, dipper and little cups replaced the fountain. I made "books" for each child. I glued reading on one side and ciphering on the other. Each day New lessons were added to each horn book. We had a fake campfire, bed rolls to sit on, and art. We made corn husk dolls, mud pies decorated with wild flowers, and we finger painted with mud. We read books about Pioneer life, and then the kids wrote about what they learned each day. We had so much fun.One day we made bread, which the lunchroom baked for us and shook CREAM in jars to make butter for the bread. One day we cooked Indian fry bread, actually more like thick flour tortillas, cooked in electric skillet. (I know, but we could not use a real fire and hot flat rocks.) We brought lanterns and rub boards to "wash" the laundry and also a clothes line they could reach. Later as my life evolved to grand daughters, dressing in my old dresses as pretend pioneers was one of their favorite past times. There were days when my kitchen towels were all washed on the rub board and hung on the fence to dry. Again we read books and they asked for supplies to create new adventures.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  07:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning, just taking a break between cookie batches. Marilyn you are so great with all the ideas for the kids.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  07:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

How are you? I do hope you are all well.

Marilyn, you truly have the gift of a teacher. Thank you for sharing that talent with the world. That is precious indeed!

Tomorrow start a mini vacation for me, so expect me to be MIA for a bit. I will be headed down to the Kripula centre in Stockbridge, MA for a silent retreat. No phones, internet (hum do I see a badge in there?) and I hope to not talk to anyone! lol I desperately need a break to center myself. It's gorgeous and so serene there. The building is on a hill overlooking a lake. It was an old monastery, and we all know how talented the monks are/were at picking their real estate! lol Check in time is 4:00 p.m. but I'm heading down early. I'll do a pit stop in Albany and head on over to Barnes & Nobles. I love to get lost in a book store. Then, I'll treat myself to lunch at the cheesecake factory! Yummy! The Kripula center is 1.5 hours away from Albany, so it's perfect.

So, what are you up to? Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Apr 28 2016 12:28:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  11:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a nice mini vacation. I think I could do better at balancing all of my balls if I did that. Really, I just need a friend to talk to eye to eye. And guess what my wish is coming true in 45 minutes. A friend is driving over from a nearby town. How nice...and she does not even know I needed to see her. She is actually bringing me some quart jars, etc. She sees and pieces quilts, so we will have a nice visit. I sure hope you get a lot of sleep and some time to clear your head and think and plan perhaps.God bless you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  1:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, your mini vacation sounds so ideal and I hope you have a grand time especially in the book store, so fun, I love book stores. Kripula sounds like a very quiet place to be, enjoy and especially the Cheesecake factory, Yum!
Marilyn I would have loved to have had you for a teacher, I probably would have enjoyed school better. You really care and have some neat exciting ideas and ways to teach, They probably remember things better.
Sherry, you busy baker, how many cookies have you baked by now and how delicious and the smells, I could gain wait through Osmosis.
You all have a great afternoon.

Blessings

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Edging towards the front porch - April 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page