Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Setting up guidelines for our henhouse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Setting up guidelines for our henhouse Next Topic
Page: of 3

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  11:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,

I think it is time that we set up guidelines for our henhouse in terms of what is expected from members. These are the issues that I would like to have you opinion on:

Participation (defined as posting on the forum):

What do you think is a reasonable amount of participation?
How often do you think farmgirls should check in?

This is how I have been proceeding: I check/do a roll call apprx every 1-2 months. If you have not posted in a while (in about a month), I send a snail mail card (letting them know that I've been thinking about them and ask that they stop by and let us know how they are doing). If I do not receive a reply or see a post, I'll send another snail mail card (usually by the second month). If I receive no reply or see a post well ... ?

**** Swaps are totally voluntary. No one is under any obligations to participate. However, if you choose to participate in any swap and or activities, it is expected that you will honour your commitment. If you are no longer able to commit, you must inform the Swap Hostess and/or the organizer to let them know.

**** As a gentle reminder, this is a public forum and anyone can read what you write including non members of Mary Jane Sisterhood. Therefore, because I value everyone's privacy, I adhere to a strict confidentiality code of conduct when it comes to our members.

**** As Hen Honcho, I am always available for you if you need to talk or run some ideas with me.

Please note - Sandra Giraud is no a member of our henhouse. Kindly take her off your list.

That's all I have at the moment - please feel free to add other stuff that you would like to tackle.

Catch you later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 25 2016 2:26:31 PM

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  06:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
Just throwing in my 2 cents, but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect members of our henhouse to post at least once every 2 or even 3 weeks. If something comes up, as things do in life, and there hasn't been activity for a month or so then contacting that sister to see if all is well would seem to be appropriate. Not sure what kind of time frame for a reply.
Hope others will add to this. I think it is important because a henhouse is a smaller group and we become more involved with one another. Many times I will come here even when I may not check the main forum for a while.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  06:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that there needs to be actual participation on the forums. With that said, life happens. I certainly know my life has been crazy beyond belief since Aly's accident... yet I still try to pop in on here, though not as often as I was.

Sorry to see Sandra go. Praying all is alright with her :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  06:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corresponding with girls across the pond can take a very long time. Three weeks is not unusual for a letter or card to reach them. Then, if they have moved within the past year...It may take three months for your letter to get to them. This actually happened to me when I wrote to a pen pal last fall.
In the case of Sandra, it seems that no one has heard from her, nor have we seen any posts either.
When our Canadian friends Sign up for a card swap, it concerns me for the cost to them. We each pay $1.20 to mail to them, but they would be out a lot more to send cards to everyone on a swap list.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  08:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with all said. Participation is important. I love participating in our internal-to-the-henhouse swaps and responding to the posts. I try to do this daily; however, when I am at my boyfriend's house, he cannot get internet service, so I do not respond as much from there on my cell phone. So if you see a break between my posts or a delayed response, that is the reason why.

Canadian postage is more expensive, but as Marilyn said, it costs each of us a little more, but the Canadian farmgirl has to spend that amount for each of our cards.

Someone from Canada took part in one of my fabric swaps, and I made special with her when I found it would cost her $5.00 to mail the 2-10" squares to each of us. It only cost us the $1.20 each to mail to her. She ordered her fabrics from fabrics.com, had them sent to me, I cut the squares, and mailed from my home for $.49 each. Then she paid for the postage to mail the remainders back to her and for the postage I spent to mail to swappers. It worked!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  09:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question...did Sandra participate at some time in the past. When was she last heard from? Could she or a family member be seriously ill? I suppose there is no way to know.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  10:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I missed something... was Sandra removed due to lack of participation? Maybe I misread, but I had not taken it that way....

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  11:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I agree with you that there needs to be some sort of participation here in our HenHouse as the smaller group is designed for getting to know people better. The big Forum has no participation requirements and is purposely set up to be loose. Most of the Farmgirls that want to be in a HenHouse, it seems, want the closer interactions and friendships. I think your current plan makes sense.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  12:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a gentle reminder, this is a public forum and anyone can read what you write including non members of Mary Jane Sisterhood. Therefore, because I value everyone's privacy, I adhere to a strict confidentiality code of conduct when it comes to our members.

In the case of Sandra, I am just letting you know that she is no longer a member of this henhouse. Please do not read more into it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  12:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have edited my post and clarified my procedures a bit. Thank you for your imput.

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 24 2016 12:22:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  12:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, Thanks for letting us all know about Sandra. The list will be updated and anything else that needs to be done.
And yes on the privacy of our henhouse ladies information. I keep all that very confidential. Only the ones that are in the henhouse know because everyone has a copy, don't know what you all might want to do about the people that has left the henhouse that has your info????

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  12:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And once a month is not to much to ask of a member to check in with us.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  1:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I totally agree with the guidelines. I have not been on here or MJF as much as I used to, but I still want to be apart and so appreciate all of you!
Thanks for all you do!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  1:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you ladies for your imput. Please keep them coming

Good question Sherry. Not sure we can do anything about that. I the moment, l given them the benefit of the doubt that the info is disposed accordingly. I know myself I shred the sheets that I no longer need.

Carole

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  1:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a more intimate group, I personally prefer "checking in" at least once a week... so I cannot imagine someone going more than a month, but that is just my personal opinion. I would think that if someone has something going on, especially with this being such a close group, you could check in with someone in the group and let them know and they could update everyone. I know Alicia updated everyone for me when Aly was burnt... and I truly appreciated it!!! I didn't have time to jump on here as often, with running here and there, and she was able to post for me :) Some of our Farmgirls travel... and they may not be on here for an extenuated time period, and I think that too can just kinda be posted or told to one of the members and they can let our Mother Hen know, and they would be good to go, until they get back.

What are you considering participation? As in swaps? Or just on the boards? I would think posting on the boards would be the participation.... but isn't that the same as checking in? I love doing the swaps, but totally missed the deadline date for the March one :( Oh how I could use some Spring :) (we seem to be getting summer!?!?) And sometimes funds are TIGHT!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  5:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought participation would be posting. The swaps are not something that I expect everyone will do every time. I just put them out there and if someone feels like they want to do them that is fine but if they are not interested that is fine to. Swaps are just a little something I enjoy doing but would never want anyone to feel obligated to joining them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  7:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
It is good to hear from you all, I am sorry Sandra is no longer with us and considering all the things that have been happening in France, I just hope she and her family are ok.
I Pop in at least during the week and put my two little cents in there, I appreciate you all being there for me. It is a comfort to know you are all out there and if there is a question, someone will answer or try to anyway. I love all the photos and now am going to be able to post more because I have figured out my little tablet.
I like to do most of the swaps but am glad that it isn't mandatory because I wouldn't be able to do them all and right now I have been working on my house to get it neat and tidy for an upcoming inspection so not able to focus well on here.
Most of us if we are going to travel usually let someone here to know and then we usually are looking forward to photos of any thing that comes whether it be the weather, fun stuff of the beauty of all your crafts that all do.
Thank you for being there and thank you for being my best friends and farm sisters.

Love and hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  7:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well expressed Darlene, thank you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  03:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate all of you ladies. I am a big rule or guidelines person, I think it makes life easier. With 8 kids, 8 inlaws, and 16 plus 1 grandchild on the way I stay to busy. You gals are my sanity. The ones that get it. I think with the rules it will help us to stay grounded. You know, slow down and do something for ourselves. So I appreciate the rules. Thank you, Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  03:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's important to stay connected, too. I don't get as much time as I'd like to post but try to check in and keep up with everyone. I really like the idea that you contact some one if they don't appear on the chat for a while. It could be a lifeline for someone if they are struggling! So what you have been doing sounds good, and thank you for sharing it with us. The reminder about this being a public forum is a good one! We have a such a close group sometimes I forget!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  09:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have since clarified participation and have added information to the original post regarding swaps etc...

Thank you for your input! Keep them coming!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  09:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May I just say you are an awesome Mother Hen!?!?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6096 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6096 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  2:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you are an awesome Mother Hen Carole, A big THANK YOU!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9596 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9596 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  2:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought on any of the swaps. If anyone finds they have to drop out on a swap just let me know so we can make sure everyone gets a partner. Life does happen and I think we all want everyone to enjoy the swaps. I am always up for input on a swap theme if someone would rather not hostess but has an idea. Also, it will be great if anyone wants to host swaps too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  3:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with all the above comments.

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  8:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, you gals are like my family. It would be terrible not to check in often. I care about you all. I am really busy right now too as we all are and are dealing with health issues. But those farmgirl hugs are absolutely essential! Special thanks to Carole for keeping us together. Happy Easter everyone.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Setting up guidelines for our henhouse Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page