Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's cooking at your house - 2016-17?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's cooking at your house - 2016-17? Next Topic
Page: of 14

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9547 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9547 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2016 :  05:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enchiladas sound wonderful! We haven't had them in ages. Everyone here is so picky that making supper is a challenge. Three of the four guys all have different tastes. No matter what I am making my bil always wants to know how I make it and what do I put in, what spices do I use? Kind of annoying after cooking for 35+ years.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  10:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was close to 70 today, so we had a weinie roast. I also made a broccoli and cauliflower salad, homemade graham crackers, and homemade marshmallows. Happy kiddos!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com
VLOG- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rAaWB8U8t13yBZCd-nwLA
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  10:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alicia, That sounds yummy, what time do we eat! lol. It will be a long time until we have 70 degree weather. But the wenie roast sounds fun.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  03:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family loves the broccoli/cauliflower salad, and Mexican salad (chopped lettuce, tomato,& onion, CHEDDAR cheese shreds, one can of Ranch Style or Chile beans (drained and rinsed), some crushed FRITOS and Catalina dressing. That goes great with enchiladas and a pot of red beans(pinto beans).
Another favorite is baked corn. I have made this and tweaked it more than a bit. One can CREAM style corn, one can whole kernel corn(drained), 1/2 of a small can of chopped green Chile's, 1/2 of a tub of whipped cream cheese, 1 Tablespoon chopped jalapenos (these are in a little can by the green Chile's, they are also finely chopped) I put this all in a large skillet that is oven safe, heat to melt the cream cheese and 1 Tablespoon of butter. Then sprinkle GRATED sharp CHEDDAR cheese over the top and pop it into that preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Yesterday we cleaned it out and we were missing two people. It is not spicy enough with green Chile's only. The left over peppers went into small jelly jars and will be used soon.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  05:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Denise -
I love salmon, and your salmon sounds delicious! I have some in the refrigerator - I will try that.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  05:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love your salads and corn recipes, too, Marilyn. Ed and I love taco salads.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  06:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum Marilyn!!

Now I am craving Salmon, too....

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com
VLOG- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rAaWB8U8t13yBZCd-nwLA
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9547 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9547 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  10:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, going to have to try that. Sounds so good.

Linda, we are big fans of taco salad too.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  06:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I am not exacting cooking anything, but I wanted to share these adorable little cans from the Libby company that were part of the toy stash I inherited from my older siblings. I believe they actually belonged to my mom as a child. She was born in 1914 and her sister was born in 1907. The graphics on the cans look very turn of the century to me so that would make sense that my mother had them from her sister and kept them for her own children. Recently, I decided that storing them in a box needed to be changed and I found this little inexpensive shelf. I put them up in my kitchen next to my little vintage stove from the 1930s that I use to decorate. Aren't they cute? Now I can look at them everyday and remember how much fun I used to have playing with them in our basement.....along with my red tractor that I had at the same time! The tractor had this little wagon to pull and I remember loading up the cans on the wagon to transport them around the basement floor.

What do you have that is old in your kitchen? I would love to hear your stories!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  07:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adorable Winnie! I just love vintage things. What a treasure you possess! Thank you for sharing a picture!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  08:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, Those are so adorable! Today we are going to have my DH's favorite meal. Fried potatoes, parsnips and onions with fried eggs. I think he could live on this meal most of the week even though he does like lots of other foods. It's fine with me simple and easy.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  09:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
YUM! Sounds delicious, Brenda.

Winnie - love those little cans. For years we had a red metal "kitchen" that my grandfather had made for my mother and sister when they were little. My sister and I played with it, then. Unfortunately, no pans, dishes, or cans like that were included by the time we got it. I don't know when or why my mother got rid of it, but wish I still had it - just for ambience!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  11:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was three my farm family moved to Lubbock, Texas. We only lasted eight months before returning to a farm. While in Lubbock, early each morning a tinkling sound and a clip clop sound could be heard coming down the street. As I watched from a window, a man would stop the noise ...the horse, and climb out of the wagon. He would bring bottles of cold milk and cream on our back porch and take away the bottles my mother had left for him. My young brain said those bottles contained horse milk, because the horse brought it. I knew the milk I loved came out of a Jersey cow in the barn where we had moved from.I refused to drink milk for eight long months, until we were on the farm once more. Many years later Our school library was throwing away some old books. I found one just for me. The Horse That Takes The Milk Around. Then my daughter in law gave me the cast iron toy.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  11:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, what a sweet story! Love your cast iron horse! Thank you for sharing!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9547 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9547 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  1:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love you rlittle cans and what a great way to display them!

Marilyn, Your memory made me smile. Love the cast iron toy and your book. The book title reminds me of a record my grandpa used to play on his stereo. The song was called "The Man That Comes Around" Oh how we used to laugh when we listened to that song. I ended up with the record and my kids loved it. My husband hated when we listened to it. I don't know whatever happened to the record. I'm afraid we lost it in one of our military moves.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9547 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9547 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  1:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a link on youtube for the song if you want to hear it. too funny! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FVNwLfyjM&list=RDo5FVNwLfyjM#t=20

Leftover night for us tonight. There seems to be just enough stuff to make up a meal so we are cleaning out a little.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 24 2016 1:06:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  2:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That song is so funny. I had forgotten the ice man who brought the ice. When I was 14-15, driving, I became my daddy's errand girl. He was a driller on an oil rig in the oil booming area of west Texas. He would send me off to get blocks of ice for their water cans. That was so much fun to see them open the doors and the cold air escape, then watch as they split that clear frozen giant ice cube, into smaller pieces. Every home had several clicks. I have the ones that belonged to my husband's grandmother. In summer they would put straw over and a round the ice to reduce the thawing when the doors had to be opened so much. They would rinse your ice before it was put in the water cans or wherever the customer wanted it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  3:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie! I adore your treasures!!!!!!!!
Marilyn, what a precious story and love your Milk wagon! and all of you are making me hungry!!!! LOL!!

Cold and wet and rainy here, with 42 degrees. I am cooking chili and cornbread for supper.

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392 and Happy Birthday today to my Lily June she is one today!
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  3:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds good.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9547 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9547 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  3:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Connie. Lily June is cute as ever!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  6:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds delish Connie! Better than my omelet that's for sure. Lily June is such a cutie pie! Love her smile! Happy birthday precious one!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 24 2016 6:40:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  06:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I love the story about the horse milk cart! How wonderful to have the book too. When I was young, we had a milk truck that delivered fresh milk and other dairy products twice a week to a little insulated box on our back porch. It was fun to hear him come about 5:30am. Such a different time in history when these services were how everyone got certain goods on a regular basis.

Connie, Lily June is adorable with that big grin! Looks like it won't be too much longer until she will be walking everywhere. They grow up fast!

Denise, that song from 1939 is hilarious!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9547 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9547 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  06:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, isn't it though? I remember our milkman coming. He started with glass bottles but before they stopped it was brought in cartons. We used to get butter from him too.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1226 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1226 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  12:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birtday beautiful Lily June. Growing up on a ranch we didn't hear the sound of the milkman coming up the walk, but always heard the milk cow reminding us it was past time to milk. We also made our own butter and I still have my grandmas Daizy butter churn. I took out a couple of bags of frozen tomatoes this morning and threw them in the crockpot with fresh garlic, leeks, peppers, mushrooms and basil, it smells wonderful and I can't wait for pasta tonight.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Feb 25 2016 12:35:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1226 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1226 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  12:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birtday beaytiful Lily June. Growing up on a ranch we didn't hear the sound of the milkman coming up the walk, but always heard the milk cow reminding us it was past time to milk. We also made our own butter and I still have my grandmas Daizy butter churn. I took out a couple of bags of frozen tomatoes this morning and threw them in the crockpot with fresh garlic, leeks, peppers, mushrooms and basil, it smells wonderful and I can't wait for pasta tonight.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's cooking at your house - 2016-17? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page