Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What are you working on - 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What are you working on - 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 12

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  10:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,Love the pillowcases!! I love your blog also.

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  12:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes me want to try to make them.
fun material out there.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9588 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9588 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  12:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same thing Darlene, for the grandchilds.
They have such cute fabrics.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  03:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love what everyone's working on! I'm in a slump zone right now, too many distractions. Thanks to reading this I'm beginning to feel inspired again!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I need to finish the partner to two socks. I took a class to learn and did one. I really hope I can accomplish that this year. Carole I love the pillow cases. They are so cute. It really triggered my mind into what could I do for the grands. Here are photos of the Valentine's Day banner with cards from my sweet friends! Received two on Saturday from Julie and Darlene. Julie thanks for my favorite tea. Also a picture of the table runner. The fabric is all from the Vanentines Day fabric swap. Hugs, Maryellen .

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  4:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! I love the valentines fabrics in the hidden nine patch pattern for the table runner. Great job, Maryellen! Thanks for joining my 10" squares swap.

I just started an Easter fabrics swap if anyone in our SPG henhouse is interested.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  4:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for hosting! It's so exciting to get the fabric from all over. I have half the fabric left. 5 x 10 inch pieces. I am trying to figure what to do with it. Placemats, mug rugs, some type of quilted wall hanging. Any ideas. Thank you again for making it possible! Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  4:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. They are addictive.

Darlene, the pillows are so easy to make. You can even use less fabric. I just like for my pillow cases to be a tab bigger so the pillow doesn't stick out! Here are written instructions with pictures:

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/instructions/RollItUp.pdf

BTW, they over estimate for fabric requirements. Why get 7/8 of a yard when all you need is 3/4 of a yard. I don't like to waste fabric!

If you want to add an accent band you would lay the folded 2" strip (cut 2" with of fabric - iron in half) on top of the pillow edge. I sew a 1/8" seem to keep those 2 from moving. Then I add my pillow piece. I've made one without an accent band it it turned out nice

Also, I just took my pillow cases out of the wash. Seems that it doesn't matter if you pre-wash your fabrics or not. Both pre-wash and no pre-wash turned out fine!

Amy, glad you feel inspired. We have so many talented farm sisters here. It's no fun being in a slump!

Maryellen, nice decorating. I like the Valentine fabrics!

Haven't had a chance to do any more work on my quilt. Had lots of other catching up to do. I think I'll do a bit of hand embroidery tonight.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 15 2016 4:52:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  4:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary Ellen, your things are very pretty.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  5:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carole, I do agree with you on wasting fabric, you get more use of that way. While I was on You Tube I watched some other sewing ones that were good and also on binding a quilt. Pretty helpful for me.

what are you embroidering? I bet it is nice too.

Maryellen
That really is a nice table runner and decorations.

Well have a very good evening

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  5:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, Linda hosts a seasonal 10" square fabric swap. So the fabric comes from all over the country which makes it really fun to see the different fabrics you receive. We send each swap partner 2 ten inch squares of different material. And the amazing thing is I did not get any two of the same fabrics! There were 15 farmgirls participating. I just signed up for Linda's Easter fabric swap on the main site. Ladies thanks for the kind words. I am going to try to make the pillow cases. Hugs, Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  6:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a picture of the pillow case in it's natural environment!

You can see that the body of the pillow is the same size as the pillow itself. That's 26" (taking the seam allowance into consideration). I kind of like my pillow cases a bit big. It bothers me to have the pillow showing. Of course I could probably lose an inch possibly two and it would still look alright.

Cheers!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  6:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maryellen, it sounds like fun. I have thought about joining, but I do not have a theme fabric stash. Wait, that's not true, I do have Valentine fabric but it's a 7 yard piece and I plan on using it for a backing.

I bought that piece about 15 years ago! I'm waiting for the right quilt to come along! Funny how my life is tied to fabric. I remember where I bought that piece etc ...

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 15 2016 6:33:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  6:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carol, we are not pulling from our stash, necessarily. I purchase one yard cuts for the swap. If you go to Hobby Lobby, Etsy or even eBay you can get one yard cuts for $4-$6. That beats the quilt shop prices of $11-$12 per yard. Half the fun is the search for your fabric. Well actually it is fun to search, on line. It is exciting to get those envelopes in the mail and it is exciting to see what you can make with them. Come join us, if you want.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  6:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, do you hand embroider? Just curious. I find it so relaxing. It's also mindless, which is good for me because .... I think to much! lol

I have two projects that I'm working on (ok I have more but these are the top two) lol One is an Easter table topper

And the other are dish towels. The towels are flour sack towels. I really like those.

It's the first time I use the iron on transfer. Usually I use this product called Transfer eze (that's what I used on the bunnies). It's a water soluble stabilizer. You print/scan/photocopy your design on the sheets (8.5 x 11) and stitch away. Once you finish your stitching, it rinses off. If you like to embroider your MJF badges, you can photocopy/print/scan them on that stabilizer, stitch and wash away! I like that stuff! Sometimes I just don't want to trace! lol

Carole

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  7:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love redwork, because you do not have to change colors or decide which ones to use. Have y'all ever tried pinning(with small safety pins) a piece of quilt batting behind your fabric. Then hoop it and get busy stitching. It is easy to work with and your threads and knots do not show. I always hated to see that messy stuff through my white fabric. So when I was teaching my granddaughters to embroidery several summer's ago we did an experiment. It was awesome, and I will never go back.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  7:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a good idea Marilyn, I have done some embroidery but a lot of cross stitch and that would hide all the mess on the back of that as well. It has been a while and I have been collecting patterns and kits but they are upstairs where I can't get to them, It is a destash thing up there. I also have done plastic canvas some too. Have you tried any of that Carole.
I have some of those Aunt Martha transfers, but haven't used them yet.

I love your bunnies and chicks Carole. I want to do all that I just have to find time and pick and choose what I really want to do. I do like drawing and painting though. My mind is in a whirl too. :D

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  8:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marillyn, some designers do use a piece of muslin on the back to help hide things. I do not line my work. I find it cumbersome to work with. I just make sure that I do not travel. I will interweave my floss in order to go from one place to another. I also do not knot either. If you would like, I could show you how I do it so that there's no knots. Here is the back of my work.

The Australian designers like to use an iron on stabilizer. What is nice about that product is that, because it's ironed on, it stays there and makes it easier to move your hoop without all the fuss of making sure your back/lining fabric is flat. Sulky sells iron stabilizers. It's used for machine embroidery, when you are working with the bias of the fabric, it keeps it from stretching. It's also the same stuff you would use for T shirt quilts. It's a weave type of stabilizer.

Darlene, I used to be an avid cross stitcher on linen (still have all of that stuff, and do plan on picking it back up perhaps finish a UFO), but now I tend to do mainly hand embroidery. And yes, my mind is also in a whirl too! lol What is nice about doing hand embroidery is that it's mindless, no need to count, so you can do it while watching TV etc...

I'm off to bed. It's 11:33 p.m. in my neck of the woods. Catch you later!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 15 2016 8:33:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  8:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had my knee replacement surgeries, and knew well ahead of time, each year, I got my supplies together. I had about three months each time to be still, do Bible study, prayer and stitching. I did several Autumn pieces and a bunch of Christmas, snowman type redwork. I gave most as gifts. I draw my own patterns with a light touch and a fine line sharper in an appropriate color. I have not had time for such projects since then. I am in the mood to put some quilt blocks together. Like Linda, I have a small house out back that is stuffed with fabrics, etc. I went through today and pulled out about a dozen spring time things I had made to give the daycare to use as door prizes at their craft show on May 12 th. Now to organize my supplies. I do have two applique quilt tops that I should or could do... I had forgotten about them. So much to do...just never enough time. I promise ME... I will not stress or pressure me anymore. I will enjoy my projects.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  04:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I've come to the same conclusion. It's more about the journey than the destination. If you pressure yourself it begins to take the creative spark away, plus your so focused on the finished product you can start to be frustrated by the work. It was the same way for me with music when it was my livelihood. I'm really trying to learn to slow down and enjoy the work itself.

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  04:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, you are so talented, with such a beautiful voice.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  04:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole the back of your work looks better than the front of mine! Wow you do have the embroidery art down. I am going to try and find the transfer eye. I have never done red work. Marilyn I am going to try the pinning. I will google and you tube it. Love all the great ideas ladies! Hugs, Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  06:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I love your embroidery projects! The patterns are very fun and the red/white combo always makes for an heirloom. Post us a photo when you are finished.

MaryEllen, your Valentine's Day quilt turned out wonderful! I love all the colors and fun prints fitted together. It also looks so perfect with your fireplace banner! Connie made me a banner that I hung in my kitchen doorway. It is so cute I hate to take it down!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. My mother taught me how to hand embroider (she learned it from her mother). It was something most women did to embellish their linen (pillow cases etc). I have a gorgeous apron with hand embroidered designs that my grandmother did. I just love it. My mother showed me a few of her pillow cases. They are truly beautiful. I waiting for her to say "here take them home with you"

Amy, I couldn't agree with you more. I've given many projects away because I just wasn't into it anymore. Having lost many friends due to cancer, I made it a point that life is to short to work with fabrics, or any project for that matter, that no longer speak to me. I think it was Nadine Ruggles who said that, "UFO are a by product of our creativity". I like that! What is one persons non inspirational is another person's inspiration.

Maryellen, it is called Transfer Eze (http://www.checkerdist.com/products/TE-12). Your local quilt shop may carry it. If not they could probably order for you.

You all know that I teach quilting, hand embroidery, hand applique etc ... if any of you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would be happy to assist you.

Catch you later!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 16 2016 08:24:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6093 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6093 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  08:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I was there to take lessons from you on all those.

I will keep that in mind,, Thanks Carole for all you dol

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What are you working on - 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page