Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireside chat - January 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - January 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 9

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  05:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Hard to believe that 2015 is behind us. I don't know about you but I find that the older I get, the faster time flies!

I hope you all have had a wonderful holiday season. Some of you traveled to see relatives and friends and some are still visiting. Always, well mostly , a pleasure to see family! Some of us, I image, have challenging family members, well I do. lol I use that time to work on my compassion!

Do any of you make a list of resolutions for the new year? I do not. I find that the list sort of takes the way side and I pay no notice to it. What I am doing is restructuring my life, making time for myself.

I've always had an agenda, but with the introduction of smart phones, my paper agenda took the way side. I've been unfocused for the past 4 years, jumping from one thing to another ... this year I bought myself a paper agenda and will be getting back to my old tried and true method of managing my life, a more focused life.

As for personal chatter, nothing much in the way of tangible production has been going on. For the past month, I've been brainstorming a new me! lol Journaling a lot, all in an attempt to better understand my life and the craziness that sometimes accompanies it.

On a henhouse topic, please subscribe to all topics, more specifically to the "bulletin board". This is where I will post announcements. You can do this by clicking on each individual heading and subscribing to the topic.

That's it for now! Time for me to get back to "inventory" mode!

Wishing you all the best that 2016 has to offer! Happy and joyful New Year!

Catch you later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Jan 01 2016 06:13:32 AM

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  06:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, sounds like you are ready for a brand new year! I like paper myself, after years of trying everything electronic, I still think paper is better. Something about taking the time to write it, perhaps. My brother and I both still prefer to write music down with paper and pencil, although most use the computer now. Maybe we're just old fashioned!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  06:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, you are so right. Tablets and phones have changed our lives so much. I need to get busy sewing, cleaning house, working in the yard, garden on pretty day's, etc. Instead of reading and visiting so much. I subscribe to the swaps I join, but never thought of subscribing to our hen house. Thank you. I know I got so busy with swaps last fall, that I missed out on the goings on and the clucking in our hen house. I want to focus on the henhouse more this year. Happy, Exciting 2016...our blank slate.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  08:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole I too have some of those difficult family members. Not only do I practice compassion but also patience.

I do not make resolutions, but do set some goals and this year I have chosen a word to follow all year. Mine is Simplify. A practice that I intend to start with by sorting out Christmas decorations as I put them away and getting rid of many that I don't use and see no reason to store. I will only keep what i absolutely love.

Oliver has surgery on the 18th and after he is home and my daughter no longer needs help we are leaving on a much needed vacation. We normally go to Mexico, but this year due to many world events we decided to stay in the states. So we are headed to Texas. A week in Corpus Christie a few days to stop and see my dear friend Sherry (sweet tea) in Longview and if I can talk my husband into it a day at Canton with Sherry for some vintage shopping. I can't wait for the adventure.

Today we are off to spend the day ice fishing. It is supposed to be in the upper 20's so not a bad day to be on the ice. Hopefully we will be having a fish fry tonight. Have a great day everyone.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  10:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Where in Texas are you coming. ? I'd love to meet up with you! Sherry and I are close and so is Mel and Marilyn is a little further.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9598 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9598 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  12:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I don't do resolutions either but I do try to set some goals for myself.

Julie~ Have fun on your vacation and visit with Sherry!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  12:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I love to do each new year is to make a list of things I wish to work on that are personal, household, and other. Under each topic, I put down things I wish to change or do or create. It helps me to write what is most important and then refer back to it during the year to see if I still think those items are important or necessary. Each year's end, I enjoy going back and seeing what I checked off and what I did not. It also is a way to put the same item on the list as a possible focus for the upcoming year. This year, I purchased MaryJane's new planner and I started today with making notes and using it. There is something about the paper planner that I enjoy using rather than my smart phone. I think I like the visual look of the planner and the pages awaiting information and notes on interesting things that come up.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  12:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, I tried to write a response under the new topic you posted on the Bulletin Board, but it won't work when I hit submit reply. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  12:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Carole - I like paper for notes and ideas, too. If I put them on the computer or my SmartPhone, I tend to forget them or let them slide.
Amy - What kind of music do you write? Do you also perform? I have a BS degree in Music Education, but haven't used it (or played my viola) since I quite the Symphony many years ago. My piano, which I don't play well, just sits there in the dining room - sitting idle for the most part.
Marilyn - I definitely spend too much time on the computer and one of my goals this year is to cut back on computer time and get my yard and flower gardens in good shape. I need to fix a stepping stone pathway before I break my neck on it.
Julie - we all have some relatives like that, though as we get older things seem to be getting better in my family. I'd love to join you and Sherry in Canton, if you will have me. I love vintage, shopping, and Canton - especially with friends.
Denise - Goals are so much easier to follow and complete than resolutions. I'm with you!

Before I met Ed, a lot of my lonely time was spent playing Pinochle on line. I met numerous card-playing friends, but didn't get much else done. I have so much fixing-up around my old farmhouse, some of which I can do myself if I just take the time. I know my SPG sisters will help keep me in line for this. I have hosted quite a few swaps this year that were very well "attended" by farmgirls, and have been brainstorming with Marilyn about some different ones. Some of my SPG sisters have joined in the fabric swaps and I'm sure we will see them in the swaps this year, too.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  12:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie - I think the only Hen house topic available for our responses is the Project Discussions. The others are only for us to look at and are locked so we cannot access them.
I also like your three topic headings - I am going to steal that idea. Thanks!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  2:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still like Paper better too! especially BOOKS! Carole, if anyone doesn't have one of THOSE relatives, I would like to me that person! LOL!! I have 1 thing I need and want to do, Clean out and organize my walk-in closet that you cannot walk-in to! LOL!!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  2:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, the bulliten is just for me. If you subscribe to it you will know when I have posted something.

Linda, you can post a reply to all areas of the henhouse forum except "bulliten board" - that's just for the "hen honcho" lol

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  2:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! I had tried and nothing was posted. Then I changed to see ALL postings and I see them now. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  2:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Connie -

Your closet sounds like my sewing/craft/guest house. LOL! Anyone want to come for a visit and help me organize it? I'll provide food, beverage (your choice), and a bed.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  4:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I also have a sewing house out back. I have been hauling things out there that I had brought I side last winter when it was cold out there. Of course it is cold out there now too. I hope that I can reclaim my home from my overflow sewing. I am keeping my sewing machine inside, but not on the kitchen table.........We will see how long that lasts. I will need to organize and put away all of the tubs that went home again.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  4:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

Linda, I also have a sewing house out back. I have been hauling things out there that I had brought in side last winter when it was cold out there. Of course it is cold out there now too. I hope that I can reclaim my home from my overflow sewing. I am keeping my sewing machine inside, but not on the kitchen table.........We will see how long that lasts. I will need to organize and put away all of the tubs that went home again.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  4:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Linda, I also have a sewing house out back. I have been hauling things out there that I had brought In side last winter when it was cold out there. Of course it is cold out there now too. I hope that I can reclaim my home from my overflow sewing. I am keeping my sewing machine inside, but not on the kitchen table.........We will see how long that lasts. I will need to organize and put away all of the tubs that went home again.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  6:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
GRRR! I just wrote a long paragraph here and lost it. Here I go again . . .

Well, 2016 has started out with a glitch. I got an email this afternoon from Chase saying there was a $1.34 charge that Chase refused, and asked if it was mine. I called Chase and asked when it was charged and where. It was charged in the UK at 1:10 pm today. Well, I was in a restaurant in Texas at that time, so it wasn't mine. She said if the thieves get a card number, and I have no idea where they got mine, they will first try a small charge and if it goes through then they will try a larger charge. Chase monitors small charges like this so they sent the email. So - they have cancelled that card and are sending a new one that should get here Monday. Now, when it gets here, I have to call all the charges that are automatically charged and change the card number when the new card gets here. I'm glad they caught it, and hope that's the end of it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  6:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! That's what I did before Christmas - haul all the projects and UFOs out to the little house so we could eat in the dining room. I'd love to keep them out there, but will probably bring them in - one by one - again. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  7:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, soon I will need something too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  7:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh yes, soon I will need something too.

Aren't you glad they are watching your account. We seem to have an over abundance of evil minded people in the world today.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  8:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year all my wonderful sisters. I hope this year is a great year for everyone and may all the things you want to happen happen or that you are steered in the right direction for wonderful things.
We do not have any Birthday's in January, but a good time to get all those cards ready to go for the year.
Have a good one everybody.
My hubby and I have started remodeling our main bathroom yesterday and today and boy are we tired and we are only about half way through. So more tomorrow and on till it is done. Will post a picture when it is finished, you really don't want to see it now.
Take care and have a great rest of the weekend.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  8:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get some good sleep, so you can work more tomorrow. I loved having Christmas and New Years on Friday, but all day today I thought it was Sunday.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9598 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9598 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2016 :  05:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like everyone is busy preparing for the year ahead.
So thankful for the hen house and all it has and is becoming with everyone's participation here.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
112 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2016 :  07:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just a suggestion for UFO's every year I start a list and a calendar of when I started a project and when I finished it. At the end of the ear I look at all that I have actually done. It is always amazing to me how much more I get finished than I think I do. New projects that I think are taking too long are really done faster than I think.
This can apply to any project such as what Sherry is doing with her bathroom. Seeing it on paper seems to be like a star for doing a job well done.
I know it works for me.
New year new start. Hope to make the most of it.

Smile a lot everyone will wonder what you are up to.
Marilyn
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2016 :  11:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh Linda, that's scary about your credit card! But it's also great that you caught it before they did any bigtime damage. In recent days I've written mostly Americana type music for our duo (I sent you our Christmas CD -- did you get it?) I've written all kinds of stuff in the past, including some orchestral stuff for our local Shakespeare Theatre. I'm really kind of interested right now in writing works for 4-part voices, like a chamber choir, and also some kind of music for relaxation. I love the viola, my music partner, Kate, plays one sometimes. I have a piano that I don't play well that sits idle most of the time too! I really want to play more someday . . .

Julie have a great trip, and so glad to hear Oliver is doing better!

I had a wonderful visit with my cousin from Austin Texas yesterday. She's back east and has been visiting all the cousins on the east coast, so I got to catch up on all the news, too. I hated to see her go!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - January 2016 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page