Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireside chat - December 2015
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - December 2015 Next Topic
Page: of 7

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  07:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree Marilyn - In the spring when we had all the storms and rain, I lost 3 large trees and parts of others. Then 1-1/2 months ago Ed lost several huge trees, one of which fell in two directions - one poked 5 holes in his garage roof and landed on a Chevy pickup and the other half fell perpendicular to that and fell on an old Little Red Express truck he was planning on restoring someday. Both trucks were not insured and were not covered by the homeowners insurance. :-(

The insurance adjuster for my current leaks is due here today before 11. Now I have to put half the hanging clothes from the closet on my bed so they can get the ladder in the closet to go up in the attic to look. LOL! I almost have all my Christmas packed, except the tree. All soft quilts, pillows, and other packable decorations are in their tubs.

Denise- where in Texas are you thinking of moving? I love Texas.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  07:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
I know what you mean about every state. Years ago, back in the early 90's we had a tornado touch down and go right down our street. Thankfully we only lost trees and no house damage but the house across the street lost their roof. The same tornado took out an old very, very large tree and put it across the road in town. They had to cut a part out big enough for the cars to go through because it couldn't be moved. It was over the tops of the vehicles so quite big around. It took a long time for them remove it piece by piece. We rarely have them here, mostly hurricanes. We are grateful that is all that happened as no buildings were damaged when the big tree fell. I have heard of blizzards were the cattle have frozen to death from suffocation by their own breath freezing over their noses.

Shannon~
I found the planner!
I didn't realize you were in a rental. At least someone else has to fix it but the waiting is no fun.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  07:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love to see snow, it is beautiful. But I love Texas because the sun comes back and melts the white away. Snow is such a treat here in central Texas because it is rare, and usually less than four inches. As they say, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WEATHER IN TEXAS, JUST WAIT A FEW HOURS OR A DAY AND IT WILL CHANGE.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  07:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mostly I've heard that Texas has 2 seasons, hot and hotter. Snow definitely sounds like a rarity over your way.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  08:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it can be hot in July, August and September. But we have wonderful mild days. I will take a sunny January in the lower 50's over cloudy dreary cold that some folks deal with. Two years ago I worked outside in the yard in January and February. It was so nice I wore sundresses. I had a winter tan and lots of vitamin D in my system. Last year it was cold and I was inside. I am hoping for a sunny winter in 2016.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  09:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have beautiful springs and falls, and yes, summers are hot, and most winters have no snow. As Marilyn says, if we get snow, it usually melts almost immediately. We've had snow on one day and 80 degrees the next. If Dallas gets an ice storm, sometimes it misses me - I'm so close to Lake Tawakoni that weather is different around the lake.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  09:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is true, weather near lakes is different. I love to drive into town to work on frosty mornings when the fields are white with frosty grass. Linda have you also noticed how the fertilizers they put on coastal hay fields makes its own fog? You drive along through whispy fog then notice some that seems very dense... then you realize why.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  09:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, is the MJF Planner dated for 2016, or do you add your dates?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  10:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - We moved into the rental after our old neighbor threatened to shoot me! So we moved here in the beginning of July... our house sold in October. It will actually work out well, in that when hubby retires, we can move out of the rental and not worry about trying to sell the house then. I miss our house though - primarily my garden!!!

Marilyn - the planner does not have any dates written in it... you have to do that yourself. The first section is monthly, where you can see the month at a glance. the next section is weekly, so you can look at a week more detailed, with times from 0800 until 5 that evening, at a time. The third section is for notes. There are also five plastic sleeves in the back of it.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  10:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Shannon - so glad you got away from that neighbor. So sorry you lost your great garden.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  11:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Shannon. I had bought a new planner back in Sept. To keep up with my crazy life. Up until then I did not realize you could get them undated... That would allow you to pick one up in mid year and begin using it. That is a good thing. The one I have began on July 1, 2015. I just removed those first two months, and have since removed the autumn months. I have been keeping the last month to refer back to, incase a parent asks a question. ( I did not toss them.) I find that my paper clips, with ribbons and lace tied on the tops (seasonal colors), help hold months together so I don't have to try to find my place every time I open it up.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
112 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  11:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's interesting to hear of the weather in other states. Colorado is the only place I have lived so I really don't know any place else. I would be lost without the mountains and the snow. I don't think I could handle temps like some of you have. About 80 is all I can take. Sure sorry to hear of all the tornadoes and bad weather you are all having. We have cold and snow but I love it. Skiing is great and everything looks so clean with snow on it. Hope all have a happy new year and the planner sounds like a great idea. Goals are always a good start to any year.

Smile a lot everyone will wonder what you are up to.
Marilyn
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  03:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hearing about Texas is so interest for me, although w hope and pray the weather news will be better from now on. I have 2 cousins in Texas and they're always kidding me about living in a little state you can drive through a couple of hours. One of my Texas cousins is coming to visit tomorrow, I'm so excited about that. Planners are so helpful, wish I'd seen Mary Jane's sooner!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  06:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the undated planners. That way if I get sidetracked or misplace it(which has been known to happen on occasion) it helps to be able to start without losing all the dated pages.

I haven't purchased a personal planner yet but this year I bought a 2 year calendar that hangs on the fridge with everyone's appts., or whatever the goings on might be. That way we all have a heads up as to what is coming up. Helps my dad to be able to see the appointments coming up for him so he is not taken by surprise because he forgets in between times.

I like our weather here for the most part. This year has just been so weird with all the warm weather in December. It has cooled down now but still not winter weather. I know it will be coming though, at least according to the Almanac.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  07:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Denise - what part of Texas are you possibly planning to come to? I'd love to have you nearby so we can visit.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really sure where JT has in mind but it won't be for awhile yet. It would be hard for dad to make that kind of move. Nice to know there are some farm girls there to meet and visit with!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  11:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, When making your decision, someday... think about where does the water come from--well, lake, etc. There are areas where water wells have been ruined by drilling companies drilling for gas and oil. We have always been on our own private wells, and had no problems. Also think rural, urban, or city. In certain areas the urban sprawl is so rapid that small towns are quickly gobbled up by larger city population growth. The hill country is beautiful, weather is a bit milder, lots of history and lakes. I came so close to moving to Marble Falls or Burnet long ago, but life took a turn. I love that area. People trying to sell will not share bad info. But you have a lot of farmgirl sisters, scattered around the lone star state who can give you info.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  3:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marilyn! I'm sure JT and I will be hoping for some in the rural like we are now. I will definitely be picking the brains of my farmgirl sisters when the time comes.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  3:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We are here to help you, Denise. I love east Texas. We tend to get a little milder weather than west Texas, where Marilyn lives. I have a septic tank, but my water comes from a Water Supply Co. So far, so good.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  4:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our water here in Loleta comes from a well too. When I first moved here the water had so much iron and magnesium that if you used bleach the clothes turned orangie. The dug a new well and the water is better but if the filter gets full then the water smells bad, that hasn't happened in along time, thank goodness.

I went with my friend today and saw Star Wars, that was good but it ended waiting for the next movie. So now I am watching Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith. I hadn't seen that one before. It is raining off and on today but I see a little clearing. Here is a picture of yesterday's sunrise here that someone posted on Facebook, I missed it.

Well have a wonderful weekend!

hugs and love
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  6:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is beautiful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  6:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is beautiful Darlene! We are major Star Wars fans here but haven't The Force Awakens yet. Looking forward to it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  6:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful sunrise!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  7:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Denise it is a good show and I want to see it again. It didn't help that I had to use the restroom in the middle of it and missed some.

I like all the Star Wars movies.

Yes Linda that was a pretty sunrise, there were others that took different pictures they were so pretty.

Have a good night
Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2016 :  7:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful picture. Inspiring. Right now it is 4 below zero headed for 25 below. I am glad I do not have to sit in the outdoor stadium tomorrow for the Vikings game. This old bod doesn't take cold well. I'm an indoor quilter.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - December 2015 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page