Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Fireside chat - December 2015
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - December 2015 Next Topic
Page: of 7

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  07:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful Sherry, the temp drop is quick and dramatic with storms thrown in. Watch and listen to warnings. Be safe.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  10:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, it is good to hear from you and delighted that you had a power packed but fabulous December! All of you who are facing bad weather, I hope you are spared any terrible effects. It has been a crazy ride in the eastern half of the US the past few days. We have had temps in the mid 80s with humidity to boot. Feels like September and the AC is going full tilt these days.

I hope everyone has had a great visit with family and friends over the past weeks and getting some good rest these days following Christmas. This time of year always goes at breakneck speed, it seems! Our youngest daughter has been home this week and it has been a great joy. She has enjoyed spending time with us and her sister too.

Yesterday, I spent some time setting up my new MJF planner and it got me to thinking I am ready to make some lists of things I want to get done this year of 2016. For some reason, all sorts of ideas started popping in my head and begging to be thought out more in detail. So, my New Year's idea, is to get some ideas down on paper with a game plan and also to spend more time exploring some of the ideas that are way on the back burner.

Anyone else in the mood for some change ups in 2016? Maybe nothing huge, but some things that are fun, new, and meaningful!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  12:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - I am in much of the same boat as you.... feeling like some changes need to happen... I am not a big "resolution" setter, but I do think changes and goals are in order. I haven't gotten my thoughts down on paper, which is what I really need to do! I use to plan out the year the last week of December... I would look at each area of my life, and figure out my goals. For some reason, I stopped doing that. i think I need to start back up! I know my weight is one area I want to tackle! I have fibromyalgia and Crohn's Disease... I NEED to better my health in order to combat both of them! Then there are also family goals, including weekly family game night and monthly movie night. Crafting goals. MJF badge goals. Yup - lots to wrap my brain around and get on paper! I would love to hear what your goals - and others - are for this year!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  4:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to here our Texas gals are okay. Had flooding in the back area of the house Christmas night. It came down hard and fast and by the end of the evening the family room had pots and buckets sitting around to catch leaks. We had wet flooring in one of the rooms so we hauled out the shop vac while the guys made a bit of a drainage ditch to get us through and keep it from coming in. Thankfully no real damage to the floor or ceiling.

Amy, your little angel is adorable.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  5:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie and Shannon -

I agree with you both. There are things I need and want to do, but sometimes I forget about them because I get sidetracked. Definitely losing weight is one of them, and traveling, and fixing or getting things fixed around the farm and house.

My quilt guild is starting a UFO challenge for the year - we have to list at least 12 UFO projects we want to finish and then complete at least 1 of them every month. We have to turn in a copy of our list and then each month check off and Show-n-Tell what we completed. Hopefully, that will keep us on track, so to speak.

Denise - When we woke up this morning, we discovered a leak in the roof that was causing water to drip in my front hallway. Ed discovered it was rain coming in around the nails on the sashing of the dormer window on the front of the house. He stapled a tarp over the window this afternoon and I will call the insurance to get on the list. This damage is not at all what many are going through, but it needs to be fixed before the leaks ruin the floors. Hopefully my insurance will get someone out here soon so I can get it fixed.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  05:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on board with lists and goals and some nice changes in 2016. Mom and I are really having to watch every penny now days, and I've found that my the more you can plan ahead, the less you spend. I'm definately using a planner for 2016. I took a few hours to get it started and it feels great. Some of my goals are finishing cleaning out and organizing my house (garage, basement, attics -- ugh!) and cleaning up my yard to start converting it to a naturalized yard. I also want to write some music, which I haven't done for awhile, including finishing our SPG song. As for weight, well mine is down from a couple of years ago, but I still need to get rid of a more. I think "improving my health" sounds like a good goal. I'm enjoying hearing about everyone's goals, we can help each other!

Denise, sorry to hear about your water damage, hope it's resolved soon. We had the same downpours on Christmas night. That's when I had the dead car battery, while we were out visiting. That was fun :( Hope the weather settles down for everyone, it's been terrible for the Southwest and so many other areas!

Today I'll be seeing one of my nephews, with his wife and two sweet kids. They are around Lily's age so it's always fun when they're here. Meanwhile, one of my other nephews proposed to his young lady last night, and she said yes! She's a darling, and we're all very happy.

Have a great day!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  06:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning everyone, we had a little water come in the back door and into my washroom last night when the rain came. It rained so fast and hard that the drainage just could not keep up. So hubby was out in the rain moving water to keep it from coming in the house. I worked on the inside with carpet shampooer, mop, bucket and towels to try and keep things from getting to wet. So now the dinning room is a mess. That is my job for today is to get everything back in order. Better get to it. Have a great day everyone.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  06:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay - I am clueless - is Texas getting hit with a storm again???? Uggghhhhh sometimes having a tv would be nice!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  07:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Shannon - Saturday late afternoon/evening the Dallas/north Texas area had 4 or more tornadoes. One in Garland was strong enough to blow some cars off an overpass onto the frontage road below. There were 15 cars overturned on the frontage road, but I haven't heard yet how many were actually blown off from above or if they were overturned by the winds; 8 people died in this one incident, and others are in the hospital with serious injuries. The tornadoes took a basically straight path up from the south, and there is a lot of devastation. One of Ed's doctor friends had 27 people who were at his large brick house in one closet (it was a large closet in a large house) and he posted pictures of the house on FB yesterday. One corner of his large 2-story house and most of the roof are a mess. All the people are fine - they were at the NE corner of the house where weather forecasts were telling people to go. Cars were turned over in his driveway and his barn was gone. It was very bad all around.

Ed's temporary fix on my roof leak has held through some more rain, so hopefully will last for a while til the insurance adjuster comes and I get it fixed.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 28 2015 07:50:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  07:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely will be praying!!!! Is the risk/danger gone now or is it a line of storms, still causing havoc?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  08:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Shannon. Those storms are over and gone. Some precip in West Texas; Ft Worth got some snow this morning - nothing here in the east Texas area so far. And then slight chances but nothing damaging for a couple days. Then sunny for over a week. YIPPEE!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  08:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just heard from my cousin in Florida. Not sure if it is the same system or a different one, but they are now getting storms with tornado warnings. Such a weird winter!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  08:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! Where in Florida is she? My brother is in Gulf Port. And we have lots of farmgirls in Florida.
Winnie - are you doing OK weather wise?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  10:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, Today they are saying nine tornados, the strongest was the F4 that hit Garland and Rowlett. There was a tornado at Ovilla and Waxahache then from Garland on north. Texas is a big state, but when we were having two feet of snow in the panhandle with winds so strong they closed highways and said it was a blizzard ---WOW! 10' snow drifts near Lubbock. Now while that was happening we were having wind, lightening and down pouring rain. West of us they had ice. East of us those horrid storms, and east Texas was still warm. We went from almost 80 degrees down to 40 degrees in about two hours. Last night at 7:00 pm we were at 33 degrees with rain showers. By ten it was sleet falling in puddles. At 2:45 am when I looked out we had about an inch of snow. There is a saying in Texas something like this,' If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wit a bit and it will be different.' That is true. I am guessing but from the numbers I have heard, there could be over 2,000 homes destroyed or badly damaged. Those cars that were blown off that overpass...Now that was horrible, as if they were thrown as hard as possible by an angry child. One death on up to the north was a very tiny baby girl, only a few days old. Many dogs and cats are missing. Incredibly sad, the day after Christmas. I used to think tornados were late spring and summer events. But now their season is January 1-December31.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  10:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep - 9 out of the 11 spotted tornadoes touched down. A terrible day for Texas and other states. As you can see by the picture, below, we had all four seasons in one day here in Texas. Never challenge us! LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  11:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well interesting but I bet it wasn't fun! Keep safe and warm OK!

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  12:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, are you home from your Christmas holiday trip?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  05:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday evening my daughter was booked on a flight from Florida to Asheville, NC where she lives. See that map above from quiltee? Well that same storm had moved towards western NC. SO, the plane was late but then arrived, they boarded and then when they hit the Asheville area, the weather was so bad that they couldn't land. My daughter said they circled the airport for about 40 minutes in the storm. It was so turbulent that people were getting sick, she was crying for her life and they finally diverted the plane to Greenville, SC where they could land and then bus the passengers up to Asheville. She got home about 2am completely exhausted..I felt so bad for her because there is nothing more terrifying than to be in a plane thrashing around in the sky and there is nothing you can do about it but pray!! She texted us when she landed with this note: Holy barfbag Batman!! Pretty much sums it up don't you think?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  05:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh, your poor daughter! This weather has been so scary. We're getting pelted today but it's just rain, nothing really dramatic. I have two cousins in Texas and one in NC but so far everyone is ok. On a lighter note, here's the engagement pic of my nephew. Isn't he cute? She's a very nice girl, too. Stay safe everyone!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  05:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a terrifying experience for your daughter,Winnie. I am glad she is OK.
Amy, congratulations on your future New family member.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4752 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4752 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  08:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OMG Winnie. I am glad she made it ok. Her comment sure did sum it up. If anyone near me on a plane had barfed, I would be hugging a bag, too.

Congrats, Amy, on your new future niece-in-law.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 29 2015 08:31:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  5:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
winnie

I am glad your daughter made it home safely!

Hugs and blessings

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9600 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9600 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  06:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad to hear everyone is safe and sound. Some of this weather is definitely scary. Not our usual this time of year. I think I may talk to JT about our future planned moved to Texas.

Winnie~ I was reading the posts above and saw you mentioned the MJF planner. Did they finally come out with one?

We had more rain but since the guys went out and got the drains all clean and new ways to divert we haven't had anymore come in. However, the roof is still leaking. But that is on the guys to do list and soon.

Hope you all have a safe, warm, dry day!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  06:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning everyone! Looking forward to a fun day at home today :)

Winnie - so glad your daughter made it home safe!!! That must have been incredibly frightening!

Amy - congratulations for your nephew :) My niece got engaged on Christmas Eve. I haven't met the young man yet, as they live up in PA, but he just finished Army boot camp.

Denise - YES! They did come out with a planner and it is delightful! I highly recommend you check it out! Sorry to hear about the leaks! Our rental constantly feels moist, and to top it off, the air conditioner died. Hopefully they will send someone out soon, though thankfully starting Friday it should start to be cooler again!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I think every state has weather related issues, and yes Tornados are terrifying...So far we have not lost our home, but last spring one went right over us. 23 years ago one tore tin off the tractor shed behind the house and stripped the leaves off two pear trees, twisting the limbs and killing the trees. It is amazing to me, when I look at the photos, that no one died in Rowlett, hundreds and hundreds of homes destroyed... but the people survived that F4 tornado. Dogs and cats are turning up all over, because they ran to escape. People are trying to get them out of harms way. Out in west Texas cattle are the problem. The blizzard drifted the snow so high the fences were buried and the cattle walked over the fences. Cattle will walk until a fence stops them,trying to get out of the storm. So they are out, everywhere. Thankfully ear tags help identify who some belong to, but the sorting process is crazy. Many years ago, in a blizzard, hundreds of cattle fell to their death in the Palo Euro canyon way up at the northern most part of Texas.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Fireside chat - December 2015 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page