Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wildflower Farmgirls
 Project Discussions
 Christmas traditions and decorations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Christmas traditions and decorations Next Topic  

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  02:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you ladies start to think I have lost my mind, let me just say it is about a quarter to six in the morning, and I have already been up for an hour... But it dawned on me that Christmas is only four months and a day away. That is four months to plan, craft and prepare for one of my most favorite holidays. Each year, our family tries to incorporate new ideas and traditions and see how they work for our family. Sometimes they are a flop, and other times true successes that we then do every year. So here is my question... What do you guys do to celebrate Christmas? Traditions? Decorations? Collectibles? Themes? Please share!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  6:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, we begin on Friday after Thanksgiving, with a trip to a nearby town, a day of shopping for trees mainly. Our grandkids and their mom always go. My son tends to farm chores. We get a burger at Brain and cookies for dessert and butter to bring home for holiday baking. There are great sales for the whole family at Home Depot, so a bit of gift shopping also takes place. After that we decorate, trees, etc. This year will be the first in a long time that my son's family will not be obligated to three nights at school for basketball games, so they can relax and enjoy the special season of Christ's birth. We open gifts on Christmas eve and gather at their house for Dinner the next day. Julie took over the Turkey baking several years ago, but I make the cornbread dressing, fried green beans, spicy roasted Brussels sprouts, etc. Hadlee is the queen of pies and Baylee is a helper. We enjoy our blessings and time together and my husband and I come home for a nap. My son also gets a nap because the girls and their mom go out to her sisters for dessert and a visit.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  07:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, that sounds lovely! The menu sounds delicious!

We usually get our tree the day after Thanksgiving. Always a Fraser fir. They're usually expensive, but last year Costco had them for a really good deal! I put the real tree up in our main room, a tree with origami ornaments in the dining room, and a tree with blue and silver ornaments in another room. My house, as of last year, has become sort of the Christmas hub. We host Christmas parties for my husband's brothers and stepdad, husband's mother's side of the family, and my family comes for a few days from Chicago. We always make breakfast pizza on Christmas morning, but other than that the menu usually changes. Always something traditional like turkey, ham or prime rib, with lots of yummy sides.

Shannon, I don't think you're crazy for starting this thread at all! It's not too early to think about Christmas. Every year I make more presents than the year before, so it's a good reminder to get going!! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  2:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this idea...I don't have anything to add, but look forward to hearing what others do :)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

HunnysHen
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Jami
Texas
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  2:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I hate to sound soooooo vain............truly !!! BUT------- everyone tells me this too.......so here goes ! ha :-)
My Christmas tree is "to die for" gorgeous and a HUGE part of our celebration !!!!! ONLY me touches it to decorate ! sorry----before I get hate mail--------kiddos always got to do a different tree and everyone loves mine !
I do a Northern woods theme. I use buffalo plaid ribbon all thru-out in red/blk....the ornaments are all things like natural grapevine, wolves, bears, fish, moose, canoes, etc. Has cranberry bead garland as well as the ribbon and I use AMBER lights for a softer glow.......like a light off in the woods. Its' topper is a woodsy bearded Santa looking fellow w/ a buffalo plaid jacket. I have over 300 ornaments........so it truly does take me a full day or even two to get up !!! Oh Boy---is it worth it when it's done :-) Aside from familytime and the REASON for the Season (Jesus), it IS my favorite part of the home during the holidays !!! I also love the fact it's a tree that we can actually put gifts UNDER the tree unlike all the new ones! I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it !!!

w/ TEXAS SIZE Farmgirl HUGS !
Farmgirl Sister :
HunnysHen # 5876
Go to Top of Page

HunnysHen
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Jami
Texas
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  2:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we always get to open 1 gift a piece on Christmas Eve too !

Farmgirl Sister :
HunnysHen # 5876
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jami - do you have a picture that you can post of your tree?

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

HunnysHen
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Jami
Texas
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  1:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try......but it NEVER does it justice as seeing in real ! :-)

Farmgirl Sister :
HunnysHen # 5876
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  1:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We should take pictures this year and post them here. That would be fun!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  7:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We always put our tree up and other decorations the day after Thanksgiving. I'm not a black Friday type person. I've been adding more homemade ornaments. I'm thinking of adding a tree just for homemade and the ornaments I receive through the swaps. On Christmas Eve we go look at lights and go to the live Nativity in the small town in our county called Bethlehem. My cousin lives a few houses down from where they put it up. On Christmas Day we go to my Mom and Dad's house to have Christmas over there with my parents and my aunt. We usually have Thanksgiving at our house with the same people. I'm always looking for new traditions to do. I think I'm going to do a Jesse Tree in my Sunday School class this year. I have the littlest class.

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Christmas traditions and decorations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page