mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  11:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I agree with you! I am in North Carolina and 3 hours from the beach and 2 hours from the mountains. The hubs and I want to relocate but we are not sure where, we are really praying in which direction to go. We are definitely staying in North Carolina because of my husbands retirement. We like the beach but not so much the heat, the mountains offer better weather for us personally but the driving in the winter can be rough. I lived in Florida for 20 years but the high humidity had me heading back north. I was born in Michigan and stayed until I was 10. Michigan to Florida now North Carolina, So I guess that makes me a half back. I actually think it gets more humid here in NC now. We are currently having either no rain or it pours down so hard it does damage and not any good. Christmas weather here is hit or miss. Never snow but it can be cold to mild. Hugs, Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  05:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My BFF, Kate is serious thinking of becoming a snowbird when her hubby retires next year. They already have a place in Ft. Myers FL and they're seriously considering buying another house in Martha's Vineyard (as you can see, she's my RICH friend!). I'm all for it, then I can be a four-season moocher! Lol!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  05:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, Lol, I can never make a decision on where I'd really like to live. I am from upstate NY and would love to move back there or any of the New England states but then I think of the winters and think maybe I would prefer going back to Virginia. So we stay put. It was an extremely cold and snowy winter here last year and I have heard this year is supposed to be worse. I probably wouldn't mind the winter so much if it weren't for dad. He has a very rough time with the cold, and then when he as to go out to an appointment or something we have to be careful he does fall.

Maryellen, I have a cousin who is moving her farm to NC. Well, not the farm itself of course but she is trying to sell her place so they can buy one down there and take all their animals. We didn't have the ocean beaches in NY, but we had some wonderful lakes. My grandparents lived on the Great Sacandaga Lake so we spent our summers there. Met some good friends during that time. In fact one of them was from NJ. Their family owned a cabin nearby. We had great fun. So there were mountains there too. Best of both worlds until winter. The winters up there are bad. My grandparents always spent the winters in Florida visiting my aunt.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  05:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, the nice thing about being in our neck of the woods is we are only a couple hours drive from both beach and mountains. Have you been to the Poconos?

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  06:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy,
I have not been to the Poconos but it is on the list of things for JT and I to do.
I have been thinking maybe next anniversary would be nice.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  10:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was driving through our neighborhood this morning and took a closer look at a Dogwood tree. You can see the beginnings of color change and a few red berries peeking out! It is heading towards Fall, Farmgirls!! Even here in the hot, humid, rain everyday state of Florida!! Oh, how I love Mother Nature when she offers this hopeful sign!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  4:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just had to share this!LOL

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  7:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it! I LOVE pie! And so so my kitties.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  06:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LOVE,LOVE this !! Too adorable and very true. LOL!! Thanks for sharing!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  10:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw it this morning and just thought it would be cute to add to our season thread. I started the basement this morning. Found I need more help than I thought so JT is going to help me down there. Tori was using the whisk broom to sweep until she saw a long black worm. Read baby rat snake. I didn't know until I started to finish what she was doing so he is still around down there somewhere but no bigger than a worm......yet.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  11:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes, Denise!! How did a snake get into your basement? Talk about a surprise!! LOL!! Guess there will have to be a closer look around for some sort of connection to the outside for critters to get in. The good news here that I see is that the adult snake may be helping make sure no mice or rats are making mischief down there. I'll take a non-poisonous snake over rats any day!! LOL!! I hope you can get a game plan today for this area so you can come down in stages and make the progress in sorting that you are hoping to do. I know it has been on your mind lately to get it all checked out and cleaned up so you can keep just what is needed for going forward. I am glad you had help today too. It is always a good thing when we can have moral support for a big job!! I am lending you some from me as well!!

Farmgirls, I don't know about you ,but I am really loving this Season thread lately. It is fun to hear everyone's thoughts, ideas, and fall favorites. We live pretty far apart and have every region has it's own aspects of every season. It just increases the joy of a favorite season, I think, when we learn and share what has meaning to each of us. Plus, it is a way to get to know one another better through common interests. I'M LOVING IT SO MUCH!!

Hope you all are having a great Tuesday!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  3:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, that stitchery is adorable! I did get most of the basement done. JT suggested that I go through the seasonal things as I bring them up to decorate. Not much in the way of fall so it will all be staying. Christmas is a much bigger job. We did get rid of a lot. My trunk is full and so my backseat. Will be taking that tomorrow.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  7:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have now had two major cold fronts in August. We are talking thunder, lightening, blessing rain and day time temps in the lower 60s. The heat returns gradually over two or three days, but I have not seen an August like this since my son was born in 1964. It is nice.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  05:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, glad you got a what you wanted to get done in the basement. From the sounds of the contents in the car, you did quite a lot! It will feel good to return home with an empty car too! Now on to enjoying the rest of August and planning for Fall decorating when the time seems right. Yes, I love to make little kitchen towels with primitive embroidery designs. They are easy and fun to do!

Marilyn, how lucky you have been to have a nice break from the heat! It is hard to come by here in the south most of the time during August and September.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  07:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Marilyn what a blessing to have cooler days if only one at a time. I have the windows open today. Hope it lasts for a couple of days at least.

Winnie, I NEED to get back to doing some stitching too! Maybe a little something for FALL! LOL

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  04:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a really fun thread! The leaves are turning on my black walnut tree. It's always the earliest to turn, and the leaves turn a really cheery yellow. I've noticed the squirrels haven't started getting busy yet. My dad taught me to pay attention to how early the squirrels start getting very active, because the earlier they do, the harder the winter's going to be. It's usually pretty accurate, believe it or not! I'm excited for fall, but winter is another thing all together!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  05:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean Amy. I am not looking forward to the winter the Farmer's Almanac says we are going to have! Supposed to be a bad one.
Blessed day, it is so nice and cool this morning! I have the windows open again and I am going to get to work straightening up a bit, and then I can get out my fall things to decorate today. (hoping that I don't get sidetracked)

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  06:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are watching hurricane Erica down here in Florida. It could end up at Florida by early next week depending. Meanwhile, it has been terribly hot and humid everyday with torrential rain cells that pop up in some areas and not others.

Oh Denise, for the ability to open the windows for a nice cool breeze!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  5:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes! I hope it turns out to sea before it gets to you Winnie!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2015 :  12:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Saturday Farmgirls! I wanted to share with you a local pumpkin variety I got at the grocer yesterday. This is actually called a Calabaza Squash or West Indian Pumpkin. It only grows in tropical areas and is basically a large winter squash similar to Butternut and other similar dark orange flesh varieties. The regular pumpkins we associate with Fall do not grow well this far south. This variety comes in several shapes that look more like gourds than pumpkins, but when I saw this shape, I had to have it as a local Fall decoration for awhile. Pretty cute eh?

When I looked it up on the internet, a few of the recipes said that it was interchangeable with Butternut Squash. I happen to love Butternut Squash so I am looking forward to eating this pumpkin meat. Have any of you seen this variety and if so, how did you use it to cook with? One of my favorite pumpkin uses is making a thick pumpkin soup that has some curry seasoning. It tastes so delicious on a chilly day served in a mug!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  7:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't get to decorate as it has been a bit hectic here so I thought it best to wait. My daughter and I went shopping today and I found a really cute sign to hang on my back door, for fall of course.

Winnie, I don't think I have seen that kind of pumpkin before. I get the pinkish-orange colored ones for pies instead of the regular ones used for decorating. I think they are meatier and I can get more out of them to freeze or can. I have never tried pumpkin soup but I do love butternut squash soup. I imagine they would be similar in taste.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  05:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted my pumpkin photo over on the main photo and Kelly (lovinRchickens) has eaten them down in Texas. She says they are good too! Most likely, I will wait a few weeks until other traditional orange pumpkins make their way down here and I can use one of them for decorating and then cook up this one I have.

Tomorrow is SEPTEMBER!!!! Yesterday, I was talking with my daughter who lives in Asheville, NC and she said that the days have been much less humid and not nearly as hot. Like many other places, last week they got a bit of true fall weather and she said it felt great!! We have been drowning down here all weekend with very heavy rain showers from the remnants of hurricane Erika! Everything is so soggy and nasty wet. We are glad that we did not get hurricane type winds but our summer has been so wet that this extra rain is flooding all of the low areas. Good thing we have sandy soil down here!!

All of you.......TOMORROW , be sure you read your online MJF Farmgirl monthly issue and tune into the main Chatroom. Just saying'!!! wink!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9545 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9545 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  05:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must have missed something Winnie. I read my sister issue and have been in the chatroom.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  05:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm wonder if she is referring to the new badge opportunity?!?! Super excited!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  12:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad today is September 1st. Hopefully the cooler days will be here soon. Wind blowing through the pines. Love it!

Since hubby isn't able to do much right now my niece is bringing a bunch to help clean up the farm. She works for an ambulance service. So she know guys from fire depart. police and other who are coming to help. That girl is so sweet and helps people all the time. And she doesn't expect to be paid. She says that not what it is about. She is 28 and has a 9 year old son who mowed our yard this weekend. It takes 3 hours. Teaching him well!!!!

I am a Fall farmgirl. My favorite time of the year. Chicken Gumbo yum with potato salad.

I saw the swap. Might have to join that. I have made apple sauce, dried apples, apple cobbler. Now made myself hungry! LOL!!!!

HUGS Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Seasons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page