Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  11:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was a surprise I wasn't expecting!!

That led to this!!

Our local Fresh Market offers Pumpkin Spice Coffee in ground and bean form every Fall. I have been buying it for years! To me, I think it tastes better than Dunkin Donuts or Target Pumpkin Spice coffee which are usually available around here as well. This is the earliest that I have ever seen it offered so I was very excited to buy some and come home and make the first mug of the season. Ahhhhh, very yummy!! Do any of you like Pumpkin Spice coffee? I know some people enjoy the Pumpkin spice coffee creamer that is usually available in the stores as well.

When Pumpkin Spice Coffee is here, Summer is on the run!! Proof Positive!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  4:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Pumpkin Spice but as I am not a big coffee drinker I prefer the creamer. Would like to make my own but haven't found a good recipe yet.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  06:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not drink coffee at all, (does this make me weird?) but will definitely celebrate Fall coming and summer slipping away :) I am ready for cooler weather, long sleeves, crisp nights, cozy socks, comfort of hot drinks, be it tea, apple cider, or hot chocolate, heavier meals like casseroles, soups, and stews, and full on school.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  07:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I agree with all you wrote. I just wish it didn't get so cold so fast.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  07:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love pumpkin spice coffee, and so does my daughter. We're always trying to buy it for each other first when it comes out in the fall. She usually wins, and I get free coffee, heh heh . . . Winnie, did you paint the cup?

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  07:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do not have that issue down here Denise... it will not get "cold" until the end of January or February, and even then it is not really cold. There ave been many a Christmases that I have been in shorts :( I think that is one of the biggest things I am looking forward to when we move out west... a cold winter! I miss it - A LOT! Both my hubby and I are from Maryland, so we both have fond memories of the colder winters. I am looking forward to it not being as damp out west though, as it is in the east!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  10:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, my mug comes from Emerson Creek Pottery in Bedford, Virginia. They make their pottery there and hand paint all of the designs. Two years ago, we went to Va.to visit family and on the way south we went to their factory. Check out the place at www.emersoncreekpottery.com and click on the little onsite cabin tour that houses their seconds and other items. I love their pottery and the apple mugs that I posted earlier are from Emerson Creek as we'll. I have a place setting for 4 of the apple design from a few years ago. The also have online sales if you are interested.

Pumpkin arrival in October is another great time. I love all the delicious things you can do with the pumpkin meat. Last year, I purchased one of these odd shaped pumpkins that are made for cooking and before Thanksgiving, I cooked it up and froze the meat in 1 or 2cup quantities. We enjoyed it in pies, bread, and pumpkin soups. Delicious!!

Shannon is correct, our idea of Fall weather happens when everyone is trying to decorate for Christmas. That is when our deciduous trees are the prettiest, we get some cooler days and eves and it feels like Fall. Like she said, there are many Christmas vacations where we are all in shorts with the windows open!! I grew up in Virginia and I do miss the four seasons! Especially Fall and Winter!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  4:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did Christmas wearing shorts for the first 3 years of our marriage when we got stationed in HI. Let me tell you that was quite a culture shock from upstate NY where I grew up. I much prefer the 4 seasons here. Fall is long but that is because many times we get the cold but no snow until January or February. Not a problem for me.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  06:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know , Denise, I have never gotten use to the warm Christmas days here in Florida and I have been here since 1973! In Virginia, it was always cold in late December and I remember a few white Christmas days as well when growing up. The whole Fall/Winter thing is not a part of this latitude to any extent. We get some frosts, and a few deciduous trees live here, but we don't experience the seasons like the mid-Atlantic does. AS you know from experience, it seems so weird to be in shorts and sandals for Christmas. We do, however, how beautiful indigenous poinsettias growing in yards and blooming that time of year. And our citrus is ready to enjoy and abundant. I try an befriend these local resources and enjoy them! It is easier for me to handle Winter but I still stumble and pine for Fall and all the glory of the Blue Ridge Mountains! For many years, I have made sure I get to the mountains for a long fall weekend so I can see the leaves and enjoy the local fall festivals and harvest.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  7:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we moved here from Virginia we took a long weekend and went back down Skyline Drive so we could enjoy the beautiful countryside in all its fall glory.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  04:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent a year in southern Florida right after college. I was in the Miami/ Ft.Lauderdale area, and it was a strange feeling at Christmas -- not only because I'm from the mid-Atlantic but especially since I went to school on Boston! I remember how much money it was to buy a Christmas tree. I couldn't afford it, and my parents were coming to visit for Christmas, so I decorated a big potted plant instead. We still laugh about it! I lived in Orlando for a year right after I got married, too, and decided I'd never again live anywhere without four seasons if I could help it. I missed the change of seasons so much!

Winnie, thanks for the link, I can't wait to check it out. I also love cooking with pumpkin. I have a pumpkin cranberry bread recipe that is one of my favorite treats ever!

Denise, I've heard they put Christmas lights on everything, even cars in Hawaii. Is that true?

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  05:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Skyline Drive is near and dear to my core!! So many memories of going there in all the seasons. We did not have AC in our home growing up and when it got awfully hot, Mom and Dad would pile us in the car and we would go up to the Skyline drive for a picnic. It was always about 10 degrees cooler which was a welcomed relief! There is nothing more lovely that driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Fall, either!

Yes, people get very creative down here at Christmas when they decorate. I've seem palm trees lit up and pink flamingos with santa hats quite a bit too. The further south you go, the more beach themes you can see because the coastal areas are full of "snowbirds" escaping the winters up north. Up here in north Florida, things are bit more traditional like what you would find in Georgia and South Carolina. We had Red Cedar trees and a some sort of long leaf pine that grow naturally which are popular as U-Pick tree lots. We have used both through the years and they each have their special regional beauty to offer when all fixed up.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  7:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom to used to decorate her big poinsettia plant she had growing in their yard by her front door in Florida. She would string white lights all through it. Was very pretty.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  04:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen flamingoes and palm trees decorated for Christmas, but I have never seen a poinsettia with lights! Honestly, though, white lights in the red leaves is probably absolutely stunning!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  05:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, we Floridians can get very creative down here when it comes to featuring Christmas with what is available locally. Actually, there is a beautiful charm and sensibility about using only what grows in your area. While it does not match the national image of snow and white Christmas, it fits in down here. What looks weird is snow themed decorations when it is 80 degrees out and everyone is in shorts. It is hard to reconcile what "looks"like a proper Christmas setting when so much of that is formed in our youth when we might have lived in a very different climate. I admit that I still struggle with trying to keep the past cohesive with the present when decorating for all of the holidays. If you like a beach theme, however, we definitely have the corner on the market for that one!! LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  06:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The beach theme is very prevalent around here as well. I am not a beach person, though. In fact, I really do not like the beach. I find the sound of it to be calming, and it can be beautiful.... but I do not want in the water with the rip tides and sharks, and I detest how sand gets EVERY WHERE! Hmmmm yup a definite "transfer" here ;) I have friends who spend Christmas Day on the beach, every year. It is truly difficult for me to wrap my brain around it! But this is "home" for them, so for them, the beach and everything that comes with it, is their perfect normal. I would rather the mountains or prairies, with miles stretched before me of plants filled with critters, opposed to water filled with critters.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  07:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I just love all of it. I love the beach. I can't be in the sun long due to easily burning so it is long sleeves and capris with a hat for me but I love the smell and the breeze and the beautiful horizon. I also love going to the mountains and hiking, camping and taking in all of the wonderful sights and sounds there. I love being in the country which is where we live and that is most like home to me. We lived in Hawaii when we first married and I loved the smells and tropical breezes, I did not love the sunburns. ( I was young and foolish then) I think it is awesome that there are so many ways people celebrate the seasons. When we lived in Florida we kinda had fall where we were. Brandon area and we had these huge oak trees in our front yard. the squirrels must have hated us because every time we parked the car in the drive and would go to leave we would get bombarded with acorns! We tried to remember to park it in the garage. Our house looked like it belonged up north. It was a story and a half with a loft bedroom and rough hewn wooden spiral staircase. I loved decorating that for Christmas. JT loved it so that is where we ended up buying. But Florida is Florida and even though our family was there sometimes you can't take the north out of some people so we ended up back up north or mid-Atlantic anyway. I like it because it is a happy medium. Not near as cold as NY (me) or PA (him)where we grew up but we still have plenty of cold and snow. I am gearing up for getting my fall things out sometime next week. Too much going on this week to get to it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 10 2015 11:50:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  11:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Denise I am up North in California and I feel the same way. We are about 90 miles from the Oregon border so that is pretty far up North too. We mostly have medium temps up here, I just don't much like it when it stays grey for days. I am for both sun and cloudy.
grey just comes with the fog.
But the sea air is where it is at ...
Not much pollution here either.

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  11:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Darlene sea air is wonderful and invigorating! Guess as long as I don't have to be in the city I am pretty happy.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  2:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree that every area has it's plus points. I think it all boils down to living where you can optimize jobs, affordability, family, lifestyle and weather. There is a lot to consider and with the cost of moving, you have to stay put for awhile once you go somewhere.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2015 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's wonderful that our country has so many great options! Even though I'd love to live in Martha's Vineyard, I do really love Delaware, too. I agree with Denise -- 4 seasons but not too extreme. My brother has lived in NYC for40 years, and he loves it. I could never live in a city, that would m make me a nervous wreck!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  6:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We pretty much have two seasons here when we have normal weather. Fall you can go inland and see. Our normal summer starts in Sept. or Oct.
But it hasn't been normal here for a long time.
:D

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  05:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh Darlene, you all have had some really rough weather challenges over the past year or two. Do they predict any relief coming?

Passing the woods at the end of my street I saw a few little leaves that turned colors early. They were on a birch tree, and we're bright red and orange. It made my day!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  12:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Amy - I'm a four season gal!

I will always remember my first Christmas in Fort Lauderdale, FL. My father moved us from Montreal. The grass was brown and some houses were decorated with a plastic snowman in the middle of the yard. Never got used to it. I have a picture of my grandparents who came to visit us, posed next to a plastic snowman. Still strange when I look at it. My grandfather had a warp sense of humour! lol

I love the ocean and do miss it. Love being around water. It was sort of relaxing to hear the pool drain yesterday!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 16 2015 5:21:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9544 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9544 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  3:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
One of the reasons I like it here so much is we are an hour from the beach, an hour in the other direction is the mountains. Everything is like a day trip away.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Seasons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly