Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  1:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any favorite September or fall songs? I'm always singing and love to sing seasonal songs--why should Christmas get all the singing!? :) Some of my favorites for this time of year are:

School Days (Lily loves this one)
See You In September (reminds me of my teen years)
Ida, Sweet As Apple Cider (really oldie but goodie)

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  2:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, here is a photo copy of an apple picking song I found in an old child's song book.

Is it big enough for you to see and play on the piano? I loved the graphics!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  5:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Winnie.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  7:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the graphics Winnie! So nostalgic!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  04:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cute page! I actually was able to read the music and it's a sweet melody. Lily is learning to sing it with me. I thought of a few more fall/harvest/apple songs. Once I get started, I can't stop! How about . . .

Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie (remember that old Motown hit?)

Shine On Harvest Moon (how did I miss that one?)

Autumn Leaves (a beautiful jazz standard - the original lyrics are French -- a trivia tidbit for my French-speaking hen house sisters!)

September Song (my mom and dad's "our song")

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  08:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'September' by Earth, Wind & Fire
'See you in September' was a favorite of mine by the Four Seasons
'Autumn Wind' very pretty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQAtQx89vt0

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 05 2015 08:26:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  5:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember all these oldies!! It has been years since I thought about any of them. This has been fun!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  08:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it! Happy singing, everyone. I'm hoping to do my outdoor decorating for September today. Would love to see some photos of some other autumn decorations!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  08:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I might too spend this weekend/week starting to decorate for the Fall. I do not have much, but anything is better than nothing :) We have actually been having cooler mornings here lately, before the humidity hits, in the upper 70s. It has been truly lovely to be able to walk outside and not feel like your breath is being taken away by the thickness of the air! During the day we are still hitting higher temps with even higher humidity, but I will certainly appreciate the cooler mornings! We even had a window open for a little while today... Though honestly it was opened because my six year older and eight year old ds decided to fix breakfast for everyone before we were up and smoked out the kitchen, lol. They try so hard!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  2:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, I drug out my box of Fall decorations and put things out. Yes, It was steamy hot! Yes, what was I thinking! Yes, I couldn't wait any longer!! LOL!!

Here is my family room. You can see the mantle decorated with pumpkins and because it is so hot here for many more months, I make a faux fire in the fireplace with firewood, pinecones and these flame lights that look like fire. It is kinda fun and gives the room that cozy feeling of a fireplace when the AC is on and the weather is still hot and humid. A Farmgirl has gotta do what a Farmgirl has to do!

I also worked a bit on my Apple Badge. In the intermediate level, I am working on creating a dinner that features apples. Today, I found an apple bread in my Capper's Magazine that looked particularly interesting,. It was low in fat, sugar and had 1 Cup fresh grated apple in the batter. I halved the recipe to see what happened and it just came out of the oven looking and smelling delicious. If it is a winner, I might use it for one of the parts of the dinner. I will post a photo after it cools and I can slice it and give you a report.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yumm, this recipe turned out pretty good! Warm with butter...it was a treat!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  5:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, love your decorations! This is probably a no-brainer question, but do you have a collection of pumpkins? I was also really interested in the two prints on either side. So cool! By the way, feel free to send some of that apple bread on up here!

I'm going to make Lily an apron with some Apple print fabric. I plan to cut it out tomorrow. She's ready for her first apron. You should see that child shell peas!

Shannon, any kind of decorations are so great for children. I think they love to feel that it's a special time, it gets them excited! When Bonnie was little, money was really tight, and out decorations came from the dollar store or Good Will. She still remembers them!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  05:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehehe, Amy, you figured me out! Yes, I have collected and made a few pumpkins over the decades and I pull them out every year and enjoy them just like cherished Christmas decorations. I have had them for years! The pictures you see on either side of the display are original art from Heather Sleightholm, Folk Artist in Oklahoma. She sells very affordable prints of her works in her Etsy shop. To see more of her works, visit her at audreyeclectic.blogspot.com and click on her Etsy link. She is a such a talented painter and a great friend as well! You will have to post us a photo of Lily's new Apple Apron you make her. I bet she will look adorable. Your own little Farmerette!

I agree that seasonal decorations need not be expensive or excessive. Most of mine are from years ago when each year, I would craft a few little things and save them. Believe me they sure add up over the years! My girls loved it when I decorated for Fall and we had fun going to local fall festivals. We also took them to north Georgia twice in late October to experience colored leaves, apple picking, chilly days, and local festivals. One year we went to the Gold Rush Days in Dahlonega and they panned for gold. The second time we went to the Sorghum festival up in Blairsville and they got to see the old fashioned stone ground process of turning sugar cane to sorghum syrup.

I love to keep decorations handmade and use real stuff. There are always beautiful things from nature to start with and often they are right in your backyard or neighborhood. It is kinda fun to see what you can come up with! Sometimes, simple is the prettiest end result.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  12:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, how cute your decorations are, and I love your fireplace! So sweet and I bet that bread is delicious, it sure looks like it is.

Your making me want to decorate a little bit. I just got some scarecrows, they are a girl and a boy and so cute, Maybe later.

Thank you and hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  6:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
Your decorations are adorable! I love Capper's, I just found it at our local Tractor Supply. They carry MaryJane's magazine too.
I have got to get my decorations out. I can here them calling to me every once in a while telling me it is time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  7:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie: It finally cooled off today. Supposed to be in the 50s and 60s at night. That makes ME want to decorate for fall. We have a real wood fire place and use in in the spring and fall. I love Cappers magazine too. School starts tomorrow and I am glad to be back in a routine. Finally I can get at the blocks for Farmgirl Vintage quilt book by Lori Holt (Mary Janes Farm mag. latest issue).

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  04:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never got to my decorations yesterday. My choir starts up today (yippee!) But I will have time to decorate after practice this morning. This topic keeps me inspired! Winnie, I will definitely check out the artist's website, thanks! I really like her work. Speaking of great, easy ideas for fall, we like to collect leaves and make a "bunting" by hanging them from a twine or rope base with clothes pins. We have to wait for that till the leaves turn, though, for the best colors. Bonnie, can't wait to see the quilt!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  05:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great idea Amy! I am determined to get my fall things put out but with so many here it is hard to do. I also want to get going and get some apples for drying and cooking. It is hard to do when trying to work around so many bodies.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 11 2015 05:52:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  06:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, maybe you can organize a group effort to decorate, apple pick and apple preserve this weekend. Who knows, everyone might get a big kick out of decking out the house and turning apples into delicious things to eat? Put on your new Apple Pickin' hat, get a whistle, and organize the troops!! LOL!! All hands on deck for an mini apple festival and fall celebration! Maybe your daughter can be in charge of making the chili and cornbread for Saturday's dinner while you supervise and direct the apple work. With college football on TV all afternoon and evening, it might make it fun to sort of develop a tailgate FallDecorate and AppleMakin' kind of day. Your Dad gets to have a comfy chair in the middle of the fun and hand out hugs to the grandkids as needed!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  07:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a fun idea Winnie!
Have fun everyone.
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  08:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh .... I have that issue. Will try it! Looks yummy!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  09:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this idea today and thought it would also be a fun project when the leaves turn!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  10:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas Winnie! Everyone is quite busy here yet. JT and son are working on the house, bil has gone on a short trip to see his sister and celebrate with her and her hubby, their 50th anniversary. I will keep it in mind.

Amy that is so pretty. What a lovely idea for the leaves when they start changing.

Dad and I took advantage of today's bit of quiet. He made some biscuits and I made butternut squash soup and a salad for us for lunch. Enjoyed just talking and listening to his stories about his siblings.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  11:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool idea, Amy for your area where the leaves get to beautiful! My only question would be how would you be able to keep them from curling up by the next day?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9546 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9546 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2015 :  1:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I sneaked downstairs to the basement while everyone was gone. I managed to get my big tub of decorations out and bring them up here.
Just need to tidy things up and get them put out so I can start celebrating fall and getting in the mood. The apple swap got me started but I really don't feel it until I am all decorated up with my wreaths on the doors and everything out.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Seasons Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly