notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  09:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well here's our first day for the gratitude badge! I read the first entry in The Book of Awesome. I quite agree, a flipped pillow in the middle of the night is.... AWESOME!

Here's what I'm grateful for today: A family that we go to church with decided to get rid of their play set. They have 4 girls, all getting to old for a swing set, so they gave it to us. Not only did they give it to us, they delivered it to our yard yesterday. We still have to put it together, but I'm very grateful that my kids will have a swing set and it didn't cost us anything. It's a very nice one too. Wooden, monkey bars, slide, swings, house. We might need to stain it, but that might be it. Also, earlier this spring, we got one of those metal domes with bars to climb all over, from a church down the road that didn't want it anymore.

What are you grateful for today?

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016

Edited by - notathreatinsight on Jun 17 2015 1:21:12 PM

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  09:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I am grateful for boxes... of all sizes! As I continue to pack, I am finding I need an array of sizes in order to best suit our "stuff." A friend from church gifted us with nine heavy duty boxes from the library she works at.... perfect for books! As I continue to pack, I am soooooooo thankful for this multitude of FREE boxes!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  09:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I got a bit ahead of myself and began reading the book as soon as I got it... got carried away.

I am a super pillow flipper, I even "flip" from the head of the bed to the foot, sometimes the foot of the bed is more comfy in the middle of the night.

Here's what is awesome for me today: When an old movie you have been wanting to watch becomes available on Netflix

When I was kid I saw "I Remember Mama" with Irene Dunne on tv. At the time I thought it was so much like my grandmother and her brother and sisters. My Memere used to tell me stories about her family as she was growing up. So many wonderful stories. She grew up in the same period as the movie. Throughout my life I would remember that movie and wish to see it again. My grandmother passed away in 1994 and since that time, off and on, I had wished to see that movie again...I don't have cable tv, but I do have Amazon Prime now, and was able to find the movie for rent!
I miss my grandmother as much today as the day she passed, and this movie sort of helps to bring her back to me. Don't get me wrong, she is always with me, this just brings back additional memories I may have mislaid.

I am grateful for my grandmother, I am who I am, because of her.

Who's next?

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447

http://hennypennyfarm.blogspot.com/
https://www.pinterest.com/Time2SewCTHome/
www.time-2-sew.com

Edited by - NixKat on Jun 15 2015 1:13:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a pillow flipper, because I sleep on a preform neck pillow. My awesome in the middle of the night to help me sleep is to drink something cold, and get back in bed to get warm. There's something about getting warm that makes me sleeping.

Today I am grateful for my backyard. Right now it's quiet and full of shadows and splashes of sunshine. The birds have left until next feeding time; the chickens are napping under the deck; Maggie is asleep under the printer bench, and as I look out onto my backyard all is well in my little world. Awesome

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  12:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I am thankful for my hubby who is home and helping with the kids today :)

Yes - I do enjoy pillow flipping - but even more in the middle of the night my awesome is cuddling up next to my "hot water bottle" (aka husband) to warm myself up again :D

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  3:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I admit it too! I couldn't wait to start reading The Book of Awesom![u]Now, I am grateful for discovering the magic of pillow flipping! Who would have known I would be able sleep better if I just flipped my own pillow!?! (I am serious here.)

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  4:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On this first day of our gratitude badge I am also grateful for my new good health. After a life of taking almost no prescribed medications and 40 years of deep pain from head to foot, inside and out, I was prescribed a medication about a month ago to take 3 x day. Within a week the pain was gone. I have not experienced it since. Its like I have a whole new life! All that is left is a little arthritis due to aging. Yay!!!!!! I am so grateful..I feel like singing and dancing all the time!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  5:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Judith I am so happy for you! I know how it feels. I suffered for about 30 in pain and no one could diagnose what was wrong. Finally I went to the Lahey Clinic in the Boston area and was finally diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis.... sounds awful, but it is just a rare form of arthritis. I don't care what it's called. The methotrexate has taken away all my pain! Let's dance and sing together!

www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  9:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! I'll have to look all that up; but, know that I understand and am sooooooooooooo happy for you too!!!!!

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  08:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 2! I am always appreciative when a new line opens up. I remember the time that I was in line with a full cart of groceries when a couple got behind me with very little, so I let them go ahead of me. The man and woman pushed passed me so rudely that I had to jump aside to keep from being hit. They didn't acknowledge me in anyway. One of the clerks saw it and opened up a line for me. She helped me hold on to my peace. Awesome!

Today I am thankful for my memories of yesterday. My great niece, the mother of triplets came for a 3 hour visit. Her grandmother, my sister, was watching the kids. She's into growing and using herbs so we had a great time together. I loaned her 2 of my drying books and 2 about herbs. Also I sent her home with dried herbs and kale that she doesn't grow. She wants to make something with herbs that I have not tried to share with me.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  08:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today has been a truly bad day for me, so I've really had to think about this... today I am thankful for an 11 year old that tries to do anything she can to help! My fribromyalgia is rearing its ugly head today and after a hard day of packing and painting yesterday, I can hardly walk today! So my 11 year old is entertaining her siblings (who are trying to take advantage of mommy hurting) and trying to help as much as she can as I push through the pain to get more done. When I break down in tears, she is right there to rub my shoulders and tell me it is going to be alright. She even brought me a cold root beer (my splurge made from unbleached cane sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup!).

As for a new line opening up.... I get so excited when this happens, especially at Costco! I am one of those people that others probably cringe at - but not for the reasons given... rather because we always seem to have a cart FULL! I'm usually pretty accommodating and will let someone with one or two things, in front of me, or even just add their stuff to mine and leave, and we pick up their cost. We do the latter more around Christmas time though.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  08:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for a new line opening up.... it seems whenever a new line opens up we have only one or two items and are already second in line, so we usually stay put. Like Shannon, if we have many items we generally let someone with only a couple of items go ahead of us. Once or twice it has happened that the person ahead of us was a bit short of cash and we donated the money they needed.

Shannon, I feel for you today. I understand that fibromyalgia is very debilitating. You are so fortunate to have your compassionate and helpful daughter.

What I am thankful for today: When you see the postman drive off without leaving any mail for you.
These days the only time I want to see the postman is when is bringing letters from my pen-pals. Other than that I am most happy when he just passes me by.... he always leaves a ton of junk mail which I immediately toss into the burn pile.

www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  10:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 2: I am usually the person in the middle of the line with just a few things. (We live a pretty uneventful life) I am hardly ever in a real hurry, and I love to watch other people in the store. I am not the saint of shoppers; but, hardly ever have a bad experience. Glad when another line opens so the full cart behind me gets a run for it. And, smile inside for the older or frazzelled person in front of me and am pretty patient...grateful that I am not there..yet. I usually let people in front of me..That's just the way we were raised.

Today, I am grateful for my lifestyle at this moment. I am pretty much able to spend my day as I choose since I've retired. I can sit at the computer like now. I can do my laundry in my own home instead of at the laundromat. I can work on sewing or in the garden. Just grateful that life is good. I think I will go call my daughter.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  06:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 3: Ummmm yeah..... I just had to shake my head at today's reading! Living in HOT and HUMID South Carolina, putting on hot anything from the dryer does not float my boat.... though I do love clothing from the clothes line :)

Today I am grateful for children sleeping in. It is 9 in the morning, and the first of the six are just now getting out of bed. This has given me a welcome time of quiet, reflection, and goal setting. I have been able to take a shower with no interruptions, and am gearing up for a busy but good day!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  06:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Shannon, nothing warm from the dryer here...don't have one. Give me fresh sheets from the clothes line, there's my comfy, warm & fuzzy feeling.

Today I am thankful that I am able, in many ways, to do most of what I want to do. To be able to get out of bed in the morning and be able to walk without pain is incredible; and then to be able to tend to my animals, garden and home with ease is something I am grateful for each day.

www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  07:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH Yes! No dryer for me either :) When I read this book, living in PEI in the freezing cold winter...I definitely liked that thought - but not today on the west coast with beautiful sunshine :) I too - nothing is better then a towel dried on the line drying you off!

Day 2: I am thankful for the blessings of three beautiful children.
Day 3: I am thankful for picnics on the ocean - which we did last night for supper!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  07:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me I just love a warm granny gown right out of the dryer on a icy wet winter day. Doesn't even have to be bedtime - it's great to curl up in my rocker all cozy and warm. One thing about my corner of Texas we have cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Today I am grateful for being able to go to the grocery store and buy what I need and a little of what I want.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jun 17 2015 07:55:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  07:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YellowRose

For me I just love a warm granny gown right out of the dryer on a icy wet winter day. Doesn't even have to be bedtime - it's great to curl up in my rocker all cozy and warm. One thing about my corner of Texas we have cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Today I am grateful for being able to go to the grocery store and buy what I need and a little of what I want.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry about the 'quote' post. I hit the wrong button when I wanted to edit.

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  08:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 3: Well, I am almost always cold or chilled. So, yes, I love to climb into warm undies or jammies or jeans right out of the dryer! Nothing better to help me feel all cozy.

Today, I am grateful for my husband. He is old fashioned. Never curses (that I have heard). Opens doors. Does all the outside work unless I want to help, and helps with indoor work when I need it. He never criticizes me. He smiles a lot. He is very generous to our family and others. I think he is pretty special.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  1:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, that's so sweet. I do enjoy warm clothes out of the dryer, but not these days. It's so damp that nothing seems dry lately. During spring and summer my house is pretty much just open. We don't have central air. With all the rain we've had lately, I'm lucky if the clothes I put on from my closet aren't damp from moisture in the air. Oooooh that sounds like a lot of complaining on the gratitude board! Sorry guys... :) I really do love my house actually.

Day 2: My house! We lived in a little 1 1/2 story with 2 bedrooms for the 5 of us, and then we moved to the country, and into a house that has enough room for whatever we need. His study, my studio/craft room, homeschool room, and 4 bedrooms besides. I'm so very grateful that we aren't cramped anymore! Especially since my family lives in IL and they have rooms to stay in when they visit!

Day 3: My mom surprising me with a visit last night. I'm not sure how long she's staying, but I had no idea she was coming, and it's great to see her and spend time with her.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  7:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's so exciting Erin!! I hope you have a wonderful time together :)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  05:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 4: I remember the old hot metal slides and see-saws that were just long planks of wood with a T-bar handle. My favorite was the merry-go-round. I don’t remember anyone ever getting seriously hurt on any of them ~~~ just a few scapes & bruises. What I remember with much more fondness is my grandmother’s glider. Gliders are more my speed - then & now.

Today I am grateful that my power is back on. It went off around 4a.m. I woke up when the fan beside my bed stopped. The house was cool and dark so I went back to sleep. The power was back on when I woke at 7. Bill will have one more go at my area then the storm will move northeast of me. Power on - Awesome!

Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  05:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 4: Old Playground Equipment; Well, how do we handle this one? I have vivid memories of the old playgrounds he described and have also noticed how boring new playgrounds are. We built a seesaw for our goats and when my grandsons, and neighborhood children first saw it, they all wanted to play on it. The first thing they all did was to ask "How does it work?" Isn't is sad when children don't know how to use a seesaw?

I am grateful that my family was not overprotective of us kids and encouraged us to explore and have fun. My grandmother used to say when we would come in covered head to toe in dirt, mud and muck: "That's what soap is for. Did you have fun?"
My own daughters were raised with that same mantra; and I am pleased to say that they did/do the same with theirs. None of these "super clean" and overprotective moms here.

One of my best memories is of the swings and seesaw my uncles built for us when I was about 5 yrs of age. They had gotten some huge poles (like telephone poles) and used them to built our "playground". The swings frame was at least 12 feet high (it was still standing when my kids were born); and attached to one of the poles they built a seesaw. The fulcrum was about 36" off the ground and they used a 16' plank with no handles. I know when that board was fully raised it was very high (especially for a 5 yr old) because it went higher than my tallest uncles head, he was 6'2" tall!

Ah, those were the days, and I am grateful for having experienced them.

www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  06:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 4: After reading today's "passage", I just had to chuckle! There are four different playground in the area we can take our kids to.... my kids' favorite by far is the oldest one... the on that still has the metal swing sets and the metal merry-go-round. They love all piling on the latter, and having I push them around. We have had a couple kids fly off... but get right back on! Their second favorite is a HUGE wooden playground... that is more like a fort... where splinters, snakes, spiders and bugs are the normal :)

For today, I am thankful for strangers being willing to lend a hand. I use to be really active on a forum called Disboutiquers... a group that sews clothing most often for trips to Walt Disney World, for their children. It is actually there that I first "met" Alicia - or DandeeRose. Since getting off of Facebook, I lost touch with all of the Disboutiquers, with exception of Alicia. Well Alicia has been asking for prayers on their boards for our family, with the move and pregnancy. She knows how stressed I am, how much we still have left to do, how little hubby can do due to his back, and how hard I am trying to get everything done, pregnant with six little kiddos under tow. It looks like I may have a Disboutiquer and one of her friends coming to help - even if it just means sitting and visiting - on Monday. A complete stranger willing to lighten a load - yup that is what I am thankful for today!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2015 :  06:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon - Awesome to be remembered and offers of help.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Farmgirl Gratitude   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page