Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  08:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would anyone like to work on earning a Merit Badge as a group? I have an idea that wouldn't require a lot of time right now during the summer when everyone is so busy with gardens, etc. But it would give us something to work toward. My idea is to make small gifts to give people in nursing homes for Christmas. There are many residents of homes who have no one in their lives, and a small gift and a little visit to deliver it would mean so much to them. I've worked with the elderly a lot, so I'd be glad to help with suggestions if you don't know what to make. You could also buy inexpensive items, or bake goodies closer to the time if you want. I've been knitting scarves for awhile for just this kind of thing (well, I only have one done, and one in the works . . .) Once December comes, we can each contact the Activity Director at a nearby nursing home or assisted living facility. They will be happy to select some truly needy residents, and arrange for a time we can visit and deliver our gifts. The Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge requires that we spend at least 10 hours with our new friend, which can be easily done over the few weeks following the delivery of the gifts.

If you don't have a home nearby, or would prefer, you could send your gifts to me and I'd be happy to deliver them for you. I know there are lots of needy residents at the home where I have my little choir. I could take pictures of them receiving the gift, and I'm sure you could fulfill the requirement by sending some cards and letters over the next few weeks.

If the group is interested, I'll contact Brian and see if our plan will be ok. I'm sure it will. Also, if anyone else has an idea for a badge we could work on together, let's brainstorm. Then we can pick our first project. I hope you like this idea, I haven't gotten any badges yet, although I'm working on a few. It would be so fun to get one as a group! Hope to hear your thoughts . . . :)

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Edited by - Song Sparrow on Jun 15 2015 08:26:02 AM

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  09:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a great idea Amy!! You have all kinds of funsies today!!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com
VLOG- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rAaWB8U8t13yBZCd-nwLA
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6099 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6099 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  12:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds nice Amy, let me know I have no idea what I would do but let me know.

Thanks and hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  12:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds fantastic! I might even be able to get my 11 yo daughter to join in for this one!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  2:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do this every year Amy. I crochet lap robes and afghans for one of our local nursing homes. I also make hankies out of soft flannel for the men. So often many residents don't have any family left to receive a personal gift from. So in December my husband and I do a little extra Christmas shopping,Soft cozy pajamas, greeting cards and stamps, socks and small boxes of candy, I always include a few small bottles of aftershaveor perfume and hand creme in a handmade stocking. Our activity director is always happy to help us give our gifts to residents who really needs the company and know they are cared about. We used to take our dog to visit, everyone loved her and she always knew who needed to see her the most. But she has become pretty hard of hearing and her eyesight isn't very good anymore, she was getting pretty anxious the last time we took her so we thought she would be better off staying home now. I think you have a great idea. The elderly can add so much to our lives.

Hugs
Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  3:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy sounds good to me. We have several nursing homes around. Will not be a problem finding one.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  8:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started doing this last year when my dad was in rehab at the nursing home nearby. Let me tell you the People who work there are so appreciative of anything people do to help and the residents are very grateful! While he was there I made a new friend and go and visit her as often as I can. It is only about 2 or 3 miles from our house on the other end of our road.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2015 :  8:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I am so happy you all like this idea. And even happier that some of you already help bring joy to our elders! I'll email Brian and let him know our plans. It's a slight deviation from the badge requirement (very slight) so I want to get the official ok. I don't expect there'll be any problem. This is really wonderful!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  6:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy I am in! Sounds like a great idea. Have several nursing homes in my area. Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  7:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you want to do this, Maryellen. It'll be fun and help others, what a combo! :)

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  06:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I emailed Brian today to make sure everything is ok for our plan, including having us deliver gifts long distance through me if necessary, and following up via being penpals. I'm sure it'll be a go, but I'll let you know as soon as I hear.

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  07:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is a great idea! Sadly, I am unable to participate, there is just not enough time for me at the moment. Please know that you have my blessing and full support!

Proud mama hen!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3535 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3535 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  07:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Amy, this is a great idea, but I am sort of tied up with other projects through December as well. But I will keep your idea in my mind and look for opportunities through our church to do something smaller for local nursing homes. Thanks for organizing this for others !!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  3:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Carole and Winnie, I know you're with us in spirit :)

Brian loves our plan, so for those of you are interested in the henhouse badge, start thinking about projects. Simple and useful items are best. We can organize the deliveries, etc down the road, like maybe in November. Bless your hearts!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  4:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have "adopted" two folks - a grandmother and grandfather - from a local nursing home. Is it okay if my kids' and I bring our items there?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  6:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, that's wonderful!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  12:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked with the elderly most of my life. 12 years in a nursing home. They would love it no matter what it is. Just to know that someone cares about them. The nursing in Indiana that my mother was in, I made about 15 lap robes for them. They are always cold. I made some out of wildlife material for the men and flowers and such for the ladies. It was so much fun.

Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  04:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, I worked with the elders, too. What was your job at the nursing home? I'm a musician, but for the last 10 years or so of my working life I worked in nursing homes and adult daycares. It was, without a doubt, the best work I ever did. I recently retired to take care of by mom (93!) and babysit for my granddaughter, but I still run a choir at one of the nursing homes. I just loves my "vintage" ladies and gents!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2015 :  2:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was an aide and my elderly peeps what I called them was spoiled I was told . I would go yard sales and buy things for them that I know they would like. Right now I sit with a sweet little lady she has alheimers but I tell you she is hilarious. I love her to pieces. Amy that is awesome, my mother was in a nursing home and choir groups came in that was her favorite because she loved to sing and she could play any instrument. But she played by ear she didn't know how to read music. You are blessed to have your mom still with you. My mom passed in 2011, I miss her very much.

I will tell you the funniest story when I worked in the nursing home.
Had a sweet elderly man always wore overhall's one day I went in sick I don't know what it was .It was on a Sat. I went into his room. I said" Mr. Busby I just got to wash you off and get you dressed hun. He said what's the matter? I said I am sick. He asked me " Well has your bowels moved regularly". I laughed and said "What did you just asked me?" He smiled and said" Well you always asked me that so I figure if you sick I should ask you that". I hugged him and told him "You just made my day."
He's gone for a few years now, but he is one sweet man that I will remember.

HUGS Marlee

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2015 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, you have some wonderful memories. I go once a week to visit a lady I met when my dad was in rehab. It is about 3 miles from us. She only lives there because her daughter who had cerebral palsy is there and she wants to continue doing as much for her as she can. She goes to her daughter's room to feed her each meal. She is such a sweetheart.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2015 :  7:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Marlee, I love that story! That's one of many reasons I love being with the elder folks-- you never know what they're going to do. I'm sure your peeps were crazy about you.

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  12:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise , Amy, I have hundreds of stories. Denise that is so sweet that the mother still takes care of her daughter. Amy I am sure you also have a lot of stories to tell.
They are funny when they don't know they are.

Hugs Marlee

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  6:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, Wouldn't mind hearing some of your stories!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  3:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The nursing home that I worked was not in town in was in the country. One of the men ordered a pizza the driver came and delivered it. The little old man didn't have any money so they were 4 of us and we pooled our money and paid for it. We got him a chair and he was so thankful he told us to eat it with him. So we had a little pizza party with him. We ate and he told us good night and went back to bed. That was so fun. He had us laughing.

There's one Denise.

HUGS Marlee

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  4:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw, love that one. What a wonderful thing it would be if we really understood all the opportunities there are for the things like this that bring them joy as well as ourselves!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  03:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That true, it's often the little, everyday things that make a big difference for people living in that setting. One time we had a sing along during football season. Being in the Philadelphia area, we had to include the Eagles song, which ends in sort of a cheer. Immediately after the song, one dear little lady stood up and did her high school cheer, gestures and all. It was really something!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Henhouse Badge Project? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page