levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  07:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You just never know what is waiting inside of someone for the chance to come out.
I bet she enjoyed doing that Amy, and everyone enjoyed see it too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  1:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had a little time I would go to the laundry room and get a bunch of towels, dish towels, wash cloths and take them and put them in the living rom and ladies would come in and help fold them. They loved it. It gave them something to do. So that became a normal thing. Smiles on their faces.

Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  07:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to remind those of you who wanted to do this that it will be here before we know it! Here are some guidelines that I hope will be helpful!:

Select your recipient (or recipients) by November 15. Remember, our goal is to form some kind of relationship with a resident, so one recipient is plenty, and probably more practical than multiples! The staff at the home can suggest someone who is lonely with no family to celebrate the holidays with them.

Make or buy something for them for a holiday gift. The staff at the home can give you some guidance on this. As in a swap, "tucks" are always nice, but not necessary. Remember that many of the folks may have dietary restrictions, etc.

Schedule a time to visit your new friend, deliver your gift and have a nice visit. Take pictures!

Plan subsequent visits with your friend so that you spend at least 10 hours with them. Let's try to complete the 10 hours by April 15, 2016. Keep track of your time and document your activities with pictures or short journal notes, however it works for you. Some ideas for your visits:

Join them for a meal, or bring them some fun take-out that you can share. (Check with staff first for either.)

Take them for a walk, weather permitting.

Ask them to show pictures and share memories. This is always successful!

Sing together, you don't need a great voice. Songs like " You Are My Sunshine," "Take Me Out To The Ballgame," and "Daisy" are good.

Read to them; newspapers, books, magazines. If they are cognitively impaired, share pretty picture books.

If you are willing to take children or grandchildren with you, this is always a big hit.

Many facilities allow is animal visitors. Again, check with the staff.

These are just some starter ideas. Really, it's your presence that matters.

Please let me know by November 1st if you plan on participating.

I sure hope you will! Remember, if you don't have a suitable facility nearby, or if getting out is a problem for you, just let me know. I'll work with you to complete the badge requirements long distance (cards, letters, etc.) with a resident at the home where I have my choir.

Thanks for considering this. Our elders are SO important, and so often forgotten.

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  08:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering how those that have agreed/made a commitment to work with Amy on this wonderful project are doing? This is a great opportunity to earn a badge and to work with your fellow henhouse sisters!

Thank you again Amy for doing this.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Nov 24 2015 08:59:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  09:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things here are going well. We adopted a grandmother and grandfather. Not sure if it has been better for them or for us :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1229 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1229 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  4:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy your goals are so admirable. I have finished my handmade portion of this years nursing home gifts. Hem stitched flannel hankies for men and woman. I will tie a few together with a pretty ribbon and add a candy cane on top. We are also adding a small assortment of greeting cards to the packages this year along with a few stamps. These will be delivered in a few weeks. Although I would love to be able to spend more time with a project like yours, my time does not allow it.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  9:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What wonderful projects girls.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9599 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9599 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  2:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was anyone able to apply for and get their badges for this project yet?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  04:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just about ready to apply for mine. I'm going to wait until I can give my dear Therese her Valentine's gift and then apply. We were together a couple of days after Christmas and on her birthday in January. Guess what, she's a born and raised Farmgirl! She grew up on a family farm, one of 14 children. She said her father was very strict about only the boys doing the farm chores, except tending the chickens. Her mom did all the cooking and the 8 girls split all the rest of the house chores.

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2016 :  6:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, how wonderful that you are able o chat with Therese and for sharing. I so enjoy listening to what people from that generation have to say. Life was so different.

And ... thank you for taking this project on and for sticking with it!

Please share with us when you "officially" receive your badge. You did a lot of work! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Henhouse Badge Project? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page