Rain K
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Rain
Paonia CO
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  12:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello my fellow hens,
I am beginning to surface after 2 months of non-stop family, travel, gardening, classes, bliss (!having a great summer!), etc.
I just came across a fabulous website for fermented foods, and since Birdie had expressed interest in how we bake bread with kefir, I thought I would add the link to our henhouse.
(www.culturesforhealth.com). They have the most amazing batch of different sourdough starters I have ever seen, including a brown rice, gluten-free (Laurie!) one. I just bought water kefir grains to make soda pop without anything but fruit, some sugar (groovy works)and a bit of time on the kitchen counter. I've been making sheep's milk kefir, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, etc., but water grains work without any dairy at all, and will change coconut water into a healthy carbonated drink.
Budget mix in gluten-free or regular, with kefir or other fermented dairy or water, makes fabulous pancakes, griddle cakes, biscuits, etc., ask me how I know!!!
Off to can up my latest cauldron of tomato sauce...
take care,
Rain

Farmgirl #3381
The Ninth Wave
Earth Meat farms

Rain K
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Rain
Paonia CO
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  1:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and also the site has 3 free ebooks on making kefir and recipes to use it, yogurt, and kombucha tea, if you sign up for their newsletter. I downloaded the kefir book and actually decided to print it after getting to the baked goods in the back...I'll let you know how my nectarine bread turns out today.
Rain

Farmgirl #3381
The Ninth Wave
Earth Meat farms
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  1:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Rain, I can't wait to delve into this. In NH until Friday. Maybe we can get together after that. On another note, Wyatt only ate and was up once last night!! Average before this was 5.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all . . LAURIE! Glad to hear Wyatt had a more "sleepful" night! YAY!

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU BOTH!!!! Can't tell you how much I've thought about you girls all summer

Rain . . . glad you're staying busy, but I think you're just that way. And, I know that part of your "bliss" for this summer was having Birdie and I there to pester you!

She and I are getting ready for another tent glamping trip this coming Labor Day weekend, meeting in Flagstaff. I sure like to be with her and I sure miss her . . .Birdie is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO far away!

Hope your end of summer/into fall is good!
Hugs to you all!
CJ

P.S. Rain, tell Gary "HI" for me!

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

living life: www.snippetscja.blogspot.com
"the Purple Thistle": www.ceejay48.etsy.com
from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
112 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  1:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rain, you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for the web site it looks really interesting. Summer has been busy. Was hoping to get to Grand Junction and stop by and bring your books. (didn't make it) Thanks again for the web site.

See ya

Sunshine in our hearts
Farmgirl #408
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  4:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

Here's another good website for cultured foods http://culturedfoodlife.com/ There's lots of great recipes and the her story of how she got into fermented foods is a good one.

I had kefir grains from the website Rain mentioned but they never grew. That can be an issue with dehydrated grains. I bought some live grains and they have grown like mad. I've been sharing them with friends and family.

I always have kombucha and water kefir grains going. I exploded a bottle of water kefir all over the kitchen. It was on the ceiling and every other surface, including me. I even took the precaution of covering the bottle with a towel before I opened it. I should have known something was up when the lid was very hard to open. So here's a tip: grape juice ferments and bubbles very well when mixed with water kefir. Use a VERY small amount. I actually prefer second fermenting with fruit now instead of juice.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Cultured Foods Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page