Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirls Southwest
 Project Discussions
 A few "notes" from the heart of a musician
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic A few "notes" from the heart of a musician Next Topic  

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear FGSW Henhouse Chicks:

I share some "notes" with you here as part of requirement for the "MUSIC" Merit Badge.

In my training years through high school it was required of me to study and learn about all the composers of the music I was learning, which was mostly classical. I learned about some of the “styles” of these composers enough that I often could identify a piece of music being played as being written by a particular composer.

As I entered high school and started playing more and more “church music” I started learning about the lives of these songwriters and the situations in their lives that lead them to write the music they wrote. This evolved as I became more and more involved in Christian music and I was able to start teaching my students to “color” their music. An example of that would be a quiet, peaceful composition could be colored possibly as “blue”. A bright and lively piece could be colored as “red or orange”.

As I learned more and more about my Scottish/Irish heritage I began learning about the different styles of Celtic music, such as the different between a strathspey, reel or jig. And, learning more and more about the different musicians . I and my husband were able to travel on three separate times to Scotland/Ireland/Wales and England. Our 2nd trip included a “FOLKLORE” tour in Ireland with Mick Maloney as our host. Mick is an Irish musician and songwriter and I was able to learn many things from him about Celtic music.

Through all of this I have been able to compare/contrast music and musicians such as their passion, their skill and the music that makes them unique.

ADDITIONAL: I love jazz music and started taking what I know about theory, chord structure and meter to learn more about jazz style and chording. What a blast!!!

Basically, learning about the differences in styles of Celtic music and learned how to use words to go with the meter/beat and that helps identify whether it is a strathspey, reel or jig. And, for the most part it's all just plain ole, darned good and fun dancing music!! SLAINTE!!!!

Thanks for letting me share!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4011 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4011 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  2:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing with us CJ, it was all very interesting. Now,what instruments do you play CJ? I know you sing but I do not remember you talking about what instrument you play. How about the Harp? I love listening to someone playing the Harp it is one of the most beautiful instruments I have ever heard.
Good Luck on you Merit Badge, how many will this make?
Farmgirl Hugs,
Deb

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  2:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been playing the piano since before I started 1st grade . . I play a "mean" piano.
Been playing the organ since junior high school . . don't have one or access to one now, so that's not on my "current" list.
Started to learn the accordion until my sister who owned it moved to Canada and took it with her.

That's it!

IF . . and I say IF . . I ever get time to and REALLY WANT to learn a new instrument, it will be: 1) Ullean bagpipes (they're the ones you pump with a pump under your elbow and don't BLOW into; and 2) Saxophone . . the jazz/soul musician in me . . . :)
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4011 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4011 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  2:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, you are quite a talented Hen. We love Jazz and Soul as well, when we lived in Savannah every Friday nite we were at the Jazz club now that was living.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Deb

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  5:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been fortunate enough to hear CJ play the piano and she is quite talented.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to get the henhouse together to hear CJ play and maybe sing along?

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  6:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kathy, for your kind words. I had forgotten about playing at Ilene's until you mentioned it. I wasn't in best form but it was a fun day at Ilene's.
Thanks again!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Pam
Phoenix Arizona
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi CJ...thanks for sharing with us!

I'm also interested in Celtic music. I've only been listening for a couple of years but I love it. I was lucky enough to hear a group called Wicked Tinkers at a Scottish festival last summer...and I discovered that I love the sound of the bagpipes! If there's any Celtic music that you've really grown to love, I would appreciate your recommendations.

Warmly,
Pam

Pam
Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  3:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've heard the Wicked Tinkers at the festival in Flagstaff . . is that where you heard them? We attended that festival a couple years but it's been a couple since we did.

Some of my favorites are:

Capercaille
Wolfestone
Tannahill Weavers
Clannad
Maire Brennan
Silly Wizard
Alstair Fraser
Chieftains

There are many others, but that's a start.
CJ

Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic A few "notes" from the heart of a musician Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page