jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  5:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have anything lined up yet for summer crafting? I am hoping to catch up on a ton of projects. I have a queen sized quilt in the works for my daughter and her soon to be husband (5 more days!). Also, I am determined to learn how to can this summer! I just harvested 7 1/2 quart size freezer bags of chopped rhubarb. I am hoping to make some blueberry/rhubarb jam for my first project.

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  6:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm hoping to do well at our Farmers Market again this season where my hubby and I are one of the "Craft Vendors". He is a knifemaker and woodturner and sells items he makes. I sell my aprons . . . this will be my fourth year selling them . . and I hope that it is a GOOD season. I've done well with selling them all these years. I also make papercraft cards and journals to sell and some inexpensive jewelry.
If we have another good season it will keep me busy just to keep up with our booth.

Someday, I hope to make a quilt for my son-in-law from some of his triathlete events.

It's hard to take on any new projects during the summer/fall because of so much outside work to do. But we'll see.

Gotta keep those creative juices flowing!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  7:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh CJ! Just reading that wore me out :) lol. Someday it is my and hubby's intention to be craft vendors and just travel all around the country. :) I do all kinds of crafting and he does metalwork. He was even looking into knife making!!! How funny is that?

I love making aprons as well. I collect them too. Christmas before last I made aprons for all of my sister-in-laws along with crochet dish cloths and then I crocheted toppers for dish towels for them as well. They loved them even though none of them are too domestic, lol. Have you done the four point aprons? I think they are so cute. I had been looking for the pattern, then while visiting my in-laws of course I had to go into the quilt shop and low an behold they had the pattern I had been looking for!

But between my grandson and the wedding I have yet to make some :( although I bought really cute chicken fabric last Fall for them, lol.

I have been saving all of my husbands old work jeans to make quilts for the grandkids from them. My mother-in-law did this for our three kids shortly before my father-in-law passed away and they cherish those quilts as a tie to their grandpa.

I wish you guys a successful season! I am sure it will be great! A lot of people are really getting into an "old-fashioned" life style right now, so for sellers it's awesome and for me it does keep the creativity going! I love researching vintage patterns! Last week when I went to Goodwill with Debbie and Erica I found a box full of craft projects and clothing patterns from the 70's. Some of them should stay there, lol, but others are really cute and very relevant to todays trends.

OK, I'm rambling now, lol. :)

I did warn everyone that I like to talk! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  06:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Summer!! not yet. I'm still dealing with spring or we are as I am still in the moving process and we are plating like crazy at the orchard. By summer I hope to be done with both so can just tend the garden, work on baby clothes due OCt 4, but I think this little one is coming early, work the farmer's market, though the cherries got hit too hard, and breath..oh yes, just breath.

I agree with you Jennifer. Our Henmother is one heck of a go-getter.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  06:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen,
Yes, I have made the four-point aprons, but I just created my own pattern . . . wasn't too difficult.

I hope you FGSW "chicks" got that message from Laurie about baby clothes . . . :) :)
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  06:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehe, and it is a boy. We did find that out.

I had wanted to start more craft items to do some diversity at the farmer's market. we sell fruit and some veggies. Maybe next year.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4016 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4016 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  06:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My summer projects are to work on more Merit Badges hopefully there will be more time with hubby gone.
Spring cleaning, does not sound like fun but has to be done, if I get it done sooner than later than I will have more time for those summer projects.
Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  8:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laurie, are you having a baby?! I think I missed that somewhere.

My plans are to have no plans for the summer. My life has been on fast forward since before Christmas and I'm looking forward to a break. I'm sure there will be projects but I haven't done any planning.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  05:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are going to be some busy bees this summer! And I didn't know about the baby either! Congratulations!!! My daughter is due Oct. 10th! She finds out if it's a boy or girl on the 24th of this month. Also girls, I am getting involved with the Colorado Springs Henhouse, which has been closed to new members, but a new gal is taking over and opening it back up. I know it's far for some of you, lol, but I was just talking to Lena (the new gal) this morning and she is planning some get togethers for this summer. She asked if I knew any sisters that might want to join us, so I thought I'd throw that out there as well. Let me know if you are and I will surely give you the details :)
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  07:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am. Due Oct 4, but... I think he will be early about 2 weeks is my guess.

have fun Jen. Wish I was a bit closer to other, but it has been so crazy, busy this spring, I don't even get to my scrap club all the time and it's on ly once a month. whew.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4016 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4016 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  07:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Laurie, I am so happy for you and your hubby. A beautiful new baby, what a fabulous Christmas gift. So, you know he will be a boy?
Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  08:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup, a boy he is.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  08:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Laurie, you could hold off and have your baby on the 9th . . . that's Robin's birthday! (just kidding)
Wishing you all kinds of fun getting ready for him to come!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  08:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen, that is great news about the Colorado Springs Henhouse!!! I hope you enjoy it and Debbie can come down too to meet the gals. Laurie, Congratulations on your baby...how exciting for you and your family:)

Once I get settled in our home, my summer projects will be to eliminiate all the store bought cleaning products and laundry cleansers from my home and use homemade ones. Just this past week, I got a chemical burn on my face and lips because of the mildew spray I used on the shower in my son's bathroom. There is no venilation in there, and (I seriously hate to admit this)mildew was growing on the ceiling and walls....I missed it somehow (again, seriously embarrased) so I sprayed the cleanser up on the walls and ceiling to let it soak in...and thanks to gravity, it sprinkled on down onto me....and now my face is sore and my lips burn with a chapped feeling...it is better now, but I was so mad at myself...one for not seeing the mildew sooner, and then for being so dumb to spray that stuff above myself...I obviously wasn't thinking!!! So since that fiasco, I am now determined to not have chemicals around anymore....I just hate them!! Moving on, my other goal this summer is too install a wash line in the backyard and make an apron (or more):) Gardening is probably going to have to wait till next summer. Thats about it for me:) Erica
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  09:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erica,

Oh my! Sorry to hear about that. I'm glad you are alright and workign towards getting rid of the chemicals. It is amazing how harmful they can be. Good luck

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  12:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laurie, congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

Jen, I am possibly interested in the Colorado Springs henhouse. It's an hour drive from my house to the Air Force Academy. It would depend where it meets and how often. I'd definitely be interested in meeting once or twice over the summer. It would be fun to visit.

Erica, sorry to hear about your burn. That sounds really painful. I hope it heals quickly. I don't know how to treat a chemical burn but lavender essential oil or aloe vera gel work really well on heat burns.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Pam
Phoenix Arizona
USA
66 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  2:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Laurie! It's such great news to hear about a baby on the way!

Sorry to hear about the chemical burn, Erica. That is frightening...let us know how the conversion to gentler cleaners is going for you. I have thought about doing this too.

Jen, I am interested in the Colorado Springs henhouse as well. I would not be able to physically be there, but I lived on the north edge of the Black Forest in Elbert County until a few years ago and I am always homesick for Beautiful Colorado.

As for summer projects. I have collected some small cactuses and I hope to plant up some larger cactus planters this summer. I am taking the month of July off from school and hope to organize a family vacation (we haven't gone anywhere just for fun in years). I hope to assemble a photo album for my son to take this fall when he goes off the the East Coast for college and to do some re-arranging in the house to help our younger daughter settle back into our house. She graduates from Colorado State University this Sat. and then will move back in with us to attend grad school at Arizona State. I have dreams of working on designs for ATCs and working on embroidering quilt blocks. I have traced the hands of our immediate family members and plan to transefer the tracings and outline them in blue work. Some of people whose hands I traced have since died, so these hands are very precious to me. Mostly I am in summer school; I love my classes and what I will be learning but May and June are going to be very intense, between classes and having two kids graduating. I wish I could slow time down and sit and enjoy all of the good stuff for a little longer.

Sending out wishes for happiness and productivity to all as the days lengthen and the summer breeze beckons.

Aloha, Pam

Pam
Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  3:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pam, I'm interested in seeing some of your atc's. Maybe you can post some pictures here or send them to me email. I think they're really neat but never find the motivation to do them on my own. I don't feel creative enough.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  7:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
laurie; congrats!!! is this your first baby????

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  7:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my mom has rhubarb- i need to get to harvesting and putting it up.can you dehydrate it????
i know that ill make a few pies and a crumble right off!

my own garden will be small...i have a gazillion projects to get done around here and a full class load at college.....

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  7:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathy,
Have you looked at some of the pics of ATCs in the FARMGIRL SWAP section. I know that there are some of the ones we did for St. Patricks Days there. They are fun!!! I just finished mine for the "Summer Fun" swap.

Pam,
I'm still wondering if you got your "Henhouse Kit" . . . .

Thanks girls!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  7:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Laurie,
You say you're working on "baby clothes" as a summer project. Are you making certain articles? Certain colors?
Is this young man getting his own room . . . with bears, ducks, planes, trains . . . or something else fun?
It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO fun getting ready for a baby!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  8:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will for sure post when the CS group is going to get together so that anyone who wants to come along may. :)
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Pam
Phoenix Arizona
USA
66 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  8:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ,

Yes, I did get the Henhouse kit, and it is wonderful! I am sorry for not replying sooner. Thanks for all that you are doing
: )

Aloha, Pam

Pam
Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Pam
Phoenix Arizona
USA
66 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  8:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathy,

ATCs are new to me...I just did my first set for the swap. I've book looking at some on the web and it seems like a hobby that is open for a lot of creativity.

Pam

Pam
Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  9:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you gals explain more about ATCs? I have heard of it, but have no idea what it is. THX :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Summer Projects Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page