ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  9:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ATCs are "Artist Trading Cards". . . size is the size of a playing card, 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches. Some artists use a playing card as the base for their artwork, others (such as I) use cardstock. You can be as creative as you want with them, using any medium you wish. Typically they are signed and numbered by the artist on the back. For most of the swaps the artist makes them all the same and then the monthly swap hostess takes them all, sorts into sets and then sends out the sets to participants. Beth Jones is hostess for most of them and she puts the sets in card holder pages and sends them out that way.

Last fall some of the farmgirls started an ATC swap on the connection and it's grown to pretty much a monthly swap with a theme. I started with the Christmas one and have participated in each one since . . we didn't do one in January. But we did Valentines, St. Patricks Day, Easter and just finished our May Flowers theme. Those sets haven't been mailed out yet, but will be soon and those who signed up for June are doing the "Summer Fun" themed ATCs.

I know there are pics of the St. Patricks one in a thread in Farmgirl Swap. I don't recall pics being posted of other ones. I just finished my Summer Fun ones. I usually do NOT make all of mine the same. My Easter ones were and my May Flowers ones were, but the other ones have all been different. I just have too many ideas and too much fun with them to make them all alike. Each artist has kind of their own style . . and they are as different as can be. Anyway, that's kinda it!

I could post some pics too if you'd like. And, Pam, I agree that there is a LOT of room for creativity. You'll see that when you get your first set and see all the different ones. I've been doing papercraft cards and journals for a long time and I keep "changing up" what I do, what I use, etc. But I enjoy it immensely and the ATCs are just little miniatures and are just plain fun!!

Hope that helps!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  06:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Cool!!! I'll go look for pictures! My friend is teaching me scrapbooking and I am teaching her sewing this summer. So maybe I can figure this paper stuff out, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  07:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no color schemes at this point. I'm hopign to have the room set up by Sept 1 and told hubby as much. I need to give him a long lead time. ;)

Speaking of rhubarb, I have some growign and this is the first time I've seen it going into what I think are flowers. Great big green bulbs like broccoli. Anyone know? I wasn't sure when I could start harvesting. I've not dehydrated it, but I do freeze and can. I have cooked it down with apple (last years) and made fruit leather out of it.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  07:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laurie, you want to cut that stalk off. If you don't the rhubarb will put it's energy into it instead of the rest of the plant. I just chop it off and toss it. It's kind neat because it's hollow inside, lol. I've never dehydrated it either. And doing the fruit leather sounds yummy!
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  10:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been on the main Farmgirl Connection site in months. I think I must be getting less organized as I age since I never seem to have the time to do all of the things I used to. Anyhow, CJ, thanks for the tip. I'll go check out the atc's. I participated in a trade once with a group of homeschoolers but that's as far as I've taken it. I felt like mine were not up to par with all of the creative ideas in that group so just dropped the hobby. Maybe this summer I'll give it another go. Ah, there's a plan for a summer project. I better write it down or I'll forget. :-)

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  7:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rhubarb needs to be blanched before it is dried- will be "tough" when dry- then should be easy to rehydrate to bake or whatever...i dont have the freezer space and would love to be able to bake pies in winter.....

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  09:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd share a few pics of my ATCs.

Our Christmas swap was "Twas the Night Before Christmas". This is the one I have in my set. All mine were different

This is the one I have in my Valentine's set. All were different. All were red/pink themed except for this one and the one I sent to my daughter.

Our St. Patrick's Day swap. This one is in my set. Again, all my ATCs were different.

This is one I just made for our "SUMMER FUN" theme . . it is going to someone NOT in the swap. All mine are different.

Another one for "SUMMER FUN" going to someone NOT in the swap.

Just some of the fun I've been having!
Thanks for letting me share!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  09:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not pictured is one from EASTER and I don't have the set back for May Flowers. For both of these two I did make them all the same. When I get the May set I'll post that pic, because it totally different style than any of these.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4016 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4016 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  09:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful, I love them all, wish I had an imagination. I am still having problems with my Mail Art every month.
Thanks for sharing CJ as I looked all over the forums and could not find pictures. What kind of glue do you use? Stick Glue or elmers or something similar?
Thank you,
Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  6:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, Those are gorgeous! What creativity! I'd love to be able to get together with a group of ladies and work on something like this. I think it might inspire me to come up with something. On my own I can never seem to get an idea.

Thanks for sharing,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  02:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm with you kathleen! when i first attempted stamping it was with my SIL and i loved all of the possibilities (and bought A LOT of stuff!!!!) but on my own the creative river bed is dry!!!!!that was years ao now.....i look at scrapbookers with envy but just cant get it going either!

i DID try my hand at Christmas gift tags-(ceejay prodded my creativity a bit *~*)and they really werent all so bad!
dont give up on yourself!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  05:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG!!!! CJ Those are AWESOME!!! Now I am inspired to try my hand at making some!!! :)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  05:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie . . . and you other girls,
PAPER TO PAPER: I use glue or dot runner rollers (double-sided adhesive) here and there AND then COMPLETLY cover the surface with glue stick. I prefer UHU as I believe it a has better bond. Glue stick alone doesn't have the best bond.
LACE/RIBBON or FABRIC that is flat: I brush on Allene's white tacky glue. This has to PRESS FLAT UNTIL DRY before adding anything else on top. (I don't use too much of this on ATCs, but I do on cards and journals)
BUTTONS/WIRE/RIBBON and other EMBELLISHMENTS: I use Allene's 7800 All-Purpose adhesive. It's not instant set and you use a bit on both surfaces, let it sit a few seconds and then put together.
EVERYTHING gets pressed until dry: flat surfaces under heavy books. Rubber tipped, clamps on embellishments. Things have to be bonded GOOD and stay that way.

Need to figure out a way to get us all together and just do stuff together!!! I don't have ANY problem with the ideas . . . my head is full of them and I can't make things fast enough!!! I'll put some thought to that, actually. Who knows what might happen!!
TODAY, I have to get busy making some cards for my Farmers Market inventory.

Happy Saturday, girls!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  08:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. I just thought of this. An adhesive that is out there that is a GOOD adhesive is the E-6000 (made by Elmers, I think)

HOWEVER, it has a VERY, VERY STRONG, LONG-LASTING ODOR! I use it on some projects but NOT on my papercraft cards, journals or ATCs because of the odor.

Thought you might want to know that.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  09:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, How do you press it flat until it dries? I've tried that at times and whatever I'm using to press with will sometimes stick to the paper. :-( I don't think I was using too much glue either.

Do you collect things and then come up with an idea or start with the idea and then look for things to work with? I was collecting things for sewing and paper crafting, along with other crafts, and the things just kept piling up. A few months ago I went through things and tossed. I was starting to drown in "junk" with no idea of what to do with things. My creativity seems to be buried.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  11:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cj it would be a blast to get together--i'm due for a sister trip tho im too poor for airfare right now!!!!! ahhhh i can dream!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  6:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the tips CJ! I just got an awesome card in the mail from Erica (Thank you Erica! HUGS) I am really getting excited to start doing paper projects! I am sure my hubby will not be pleased, lol, ok, he will think it's great other than the expense, LOL! I tend to go overboard sometimes when I find a new hobby, then it will kind of simmer down a little bit, but I have fun I suppose! :)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  7:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pressing - I just put them under a stack of books or something. I use the clamps on embellishments. I don't have trouble with stuff sticking . . . hmmmmmm.

Collecting supplies - I collect whatever I can, wherever I can, whenever I can . . . upcycle a lot of things. I've been told I have an eye for looking at something someone else would put in the trash and seeing potential . . . and then using it. And I do. Most people have no idea if whatever it was had a "former life". So, generally, I have ALL sorts of this 'n' that to work with. Only if I need to do something VERY specific do I go look for supplies, IF I don't have something that works.

It does require GOOD ORGANIZATIONAL skills and, fortunately, I am really good at that. Not only is there all my papercrafting supplies to organize, but my sewing supplies, beading supples, etc. And, I have to consistently stay on top of it all in order to KEEP it organized, otherwise it could REALLY get out of control, especially when I'm really busy keeping up with things for Farmers Market or Christmas Bazaars. Getting ready for Christmas Bazaars means I'm doing papercrafts, sewing AND beading and my project room looks like a Christmas Explosion. But I'm glad to have the room so that I don't have to pick up and put away until the project is finished.

January & February are my months to go through it all, reorganize, toss things I won't use, plan what I'm going to work on for the upcoming season, assess what I have to purchase, etc. Then I start sewing and papercrafting, getting my inventory built up. If this year's Farmers Market season is as successful at the last three I will be sewing a LOT of aprons. That is okay!! I have more made now before we even start than I ever did before. So, we'll see.

Hoping for another good season!
Thanks for letting me share!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  10:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, Good luck on a successful season at the Farmer's Market! I'd love to see or hear how you have organized things. I have a few plastic drawers with stamps and beads but I've gotten rid of things because the drawers got full. I also have shelves in a closet with fabric scraps and a few other miscellaneous items stacked up. When I want to find something it takes me a while to move things and get to it. I'm generally a very organized person too, which is one reason I tend to get rid of things. I get a little anxious when messes start piling up. I have a spare bedroom for crafting but it also contains my computer desk (very small) and a large table where Ethan works on his school projects. And there's a couple of toy baskets where my granddaughters can sit and play if they're in here with me. There's not much other room so plastic bins and such are just piled up in corners. I've been doing serious cleaning this spring and this one room is starting to bug me with it's messy look. I'd love to have floor to ceiling shelves but it's not in the budget right now.

I'm looking for a way to make some money to help pay my son's college tuition. He got a large scholarship but the school is very expensive and our share is more than we now have available. Hannah (my youngest daughter) will be starting college this fall too, although she's going to the community college for now. That cost is much less. I don't think I will be making money with crafts but I'll leave that option open. I'm hoping to start giving Reiki sessions and teaching classes. It's something I put on hold the last few years while my kids were still homeschooling. If anyone has any other ideas for making money, especially from home I'd love to hear them.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  11:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We received our "May Flowers" ATC sets this week. This is the one I made, and for this month's swap, they were all the same. I only show you because it is entirely different from the others I've done.
I had these envelopes that were just about the right size, a bit long and then I decided to fold up the bottom and staple,(I see staples on a lot of papercraft projects and am not sure that I like it except on this "style" of project), stamped "Seeds" on them. Took the snapdragon seeds out of the packets, put them in little zip lock bags that fit into these envelopes (those seeds are TINY and that was not as easy as I had hoped it would be). I had taken the actual seed packets to a local print/copy shop and had reduced color copies made of the packets the right size to cut and paste onto the envelopes. So the seeds were actually out of these packets. Punched holes in the top and ran ribbon through for a bow. Anyway, these were fun and different than any others I've done.
Thanks for letting me share.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  12:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember when I was a kid we had snapdragons growing in our yard. I loved to pinch the blooms and make them snap.

CJ, thanks for sharing this. I love seeing all of the different craft pictures you post. My latest project was making bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages from silk flowers for my daughter's wedding. The cost of ordering live bouquets from a florist is really more than our budget allows.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jenfulks
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Jennifer
Colorado Springs CO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  12:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathleen, I just finished the same projects for my daughters wedding last weekend, lol. It really is more affordable to DIY and everyone raved about what a beautiful wedding it was so I am still feeling very proud! :) That was my first big flower arranging accomplishment!
Here are some pics from my blog of the flowers. :)

http://simplehousewifery.blogspot.com/2011/05/handmade-homemade-wedding.html
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  11:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen, the bridal bouquet is gorgeous! My daughter wanted a simple bouquet of pink/peachy tinted roses. We found something that pretty much came that way and added ribbons to it. The corsages and boutonnieres were a little more complicated.

Thanks for sharing the pictures,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  11:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen . . . the flowers are BEAUTIFUL!!! GORGEOUS!!!
I actually did the same for my daughter when she got married the first time, in 1995. Made everything and incorporated an open fan into her bridal bouquet. I probably have pics somewhere but since that marriage ended in 2002 I'm sure any pictures are either gone or hidden away. But it was fun!!!

When my in-laws had their 50th wedding anniversary celebration I made a big, silk flower centerpiece basket for their table and a padded photo/guest book. But I haven't made anything like that in a LONG time.

LOVELY WORK Girls!
CJ

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Summer Projects Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page