Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic New project Next Topic  

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  08:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is everyone ready to start the "Embroiderer's Prayer" sampler? I'm going to do mine on muslin and frame it. I might do a little color crayon tinting inside the flowers and on the background for a little bit of a blue sky feeling. I'm excited!
I went to the 2010 quilt expo in Madison on Thursday. Fun, fun,fun !!!!!! I picked up some really cute things, some cute vintage pillow embroidery patterns saying Good Morning and Good Night with some flowers, and some with children laying in bed. My favorite booth had to be Buttermilk Basin. She has quilt patterns, needlepunch, wool stitcheries, and embroidery. Her things have a vintage but fun current feel. Check her out, she is fantastic. If you like vintage and folkart you will probably love her. A very nice lady too!
Have fun stitching! I think we will all be getting back to stitching soon once the weather cools, and especially after the holidays when everything settles down!
I also spent time in a couple booths where they were demonstrating rug hooking, one with wool strips in the traditional manner, and another with a needle punch tool made for the thick wool yarn, and they were both fun. I'm going to head out to the goodwill today to see if I can find any wool clothing I can cut up into strips. I know once a week they have a half price special on certain color tags, so I'll be watching for that! The needlepunch tool is 35 dollars, so I might have to start with the traditional way for now with the wool strips. Just what I need, another project and hobby!
Hope everyone is well and happy!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are!"

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  09:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So just checking in to see if anybody else is starting the embroiderer's prayer! Still just sitting there waiting for me to start, but just when I decide today is the day then something comes up! Tonight, I hope, tonight! Well for sure when all the new shows come out and I actually sit down and watch tv at night! I have floss picked out and it all traced and hooped, just can't get a chance to start it!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  08:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, where is everyone? Everybody okay? Haven't seen any new postings and was wondering how everyone is!!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen-Farmgirl #918
Montrose Michigan
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  2:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there Julie :-) I started a new job so I have not been around alot. I also have not gotten the pattern though I plan to soon. I am trying to decide on some tea cup/pots to get also to do some christmas gifts. I am not good with decisions...I want them all! So hopefully I can narrow it down next week and place an order. Have you started yet? I am sure once the weather turns more fall-like and we want to be inside more and more we will all be stitching up a storm. It is about 60 here today and rainy - would have been a good day to stitch but I worked...good and bad but really all good. Take Care and stitch with you later!

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  06:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen,
Well you sure will be busy. I still have not gotten going yet. It's all ready to go, I just have outside stuff to do still and decorating for Halloween is something I have yet to do. Rats. No time to do anything lately. Going to try to get more organized and see if that helps. I need to not get sidetracked everytime I start to do something. Help!!!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Traildancer
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  10:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought fabric and floss yesterday. Just got the pattern in the mail. There was a conversion chart for DMC on Crabapple's website so I used that. Haven't done the tracing yet.

If anyone wants to borrow (have) the pattern, let me know. I can send it on after I get it traced.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  11:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julie
I have checked back a few times but there were no new posts. I'm glad to see we are back. I have the pattern but not the material. Any suggestions on fabric? Just wondering. Happy stitching.
Donna

Farmgirl #1487

LIVE simply, LOVE generously, CARE deeply, SPEAK kindly...Leave the rest to God.
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  07:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are talking about the background fabric to stitch on, you could use just about anything. I am using an off white, almost cream colored calico with little pale tiny polka dots on it in a slightly lighter shade. For me it is a little more interesting than plain muslin, and I am a polka dot freak so it works out well. Being a tone on tone creamy white it doesn't interfere with the colors or scheme of the sstitching. I got it at JoAnn fabrics, just off the calico wall at around 4 dollars a yard. What are you thinking of using?

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Traildancer
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  10:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For my fabric I used some muslin and then tea-dyed it. I was going for the splotchy look on the front of the pattern but got an all-over dye instead. Then I basted another piece of un-dyed muslin to the back like the pattern suggested. It's working well.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  09:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, is everyone ready to settle in for cooler weather and more stitching? Just wondering how you are all doing and what you are stitchin!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  11:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there everyone. Lot of work here to be done before it snows. Got most of it wrapped up and have been working on the Crab-apple Hill #412 Winter Wishes. I'm about half done. I'll post a picture of it when I get done. I won't get to the embroider's prayer this year.Only 39 days until Christmas. ugh! Enjoy the embroidering and Happy Holidays to all of you. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  1:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reminder! I don't even want to think of Christmas yet, still didn't take down the Halloween decorations! I hope you enjoy stitching and get lots done!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  4:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've done a few Christmas presents but I really need to get on it.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  05:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to look at the Christmas Embroidery Winter Wishes by Crabapple Hill. I found some material at a quilt shop last weekend, and it would be a perfect border, old fashioned kids playing in the snow. I thought I would do one of the Crabapple hill quilt embroidery patterns, where part of the quilt top is stitched, and then you add pieced patchwork in the center and borders, or whatever. They are cute, but can't decide which one to get. They are not cheap, 25 dollars for the ones I am thinking of! There is one with a rural village in winter scene, I think that is the one that would work, but yikes, 25 dollars! Just for the pattern???!! Crazy.

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  04:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious - are the Crab Apple designs a pdf or an iron on? How do the patterns come?

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  08:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually they are printed on paper and come in the mail. I am not even really sure if they do PDF patterns. Really cute stuff though! You can find them in quilt shops sometimes, if the shop has embroidery too. I love the stuff, really vintage and cute! I know, I hate waiting for snail mail, but this stuff is worth it!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  08:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, forgot to say, they are not iron on. Just trace on from the paper pattern!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic New project Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page