Page: of 2

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  07:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay everyone, are you all interested in the doing embroidery sampler book? Please post and let me know. If you are, I would appreciate feedback on how many stitches you would like to do. I have an idea how many I would like, but I would like to hear from you all and take an average.
I are ready to get started, if you all are! Here we go!!!!

ijjie
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  09:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yah !!!! I'm ready.
I have not done any embroidery for many years so need a refresher course! LOL I guess for me 10- 20 of the most common to start us off. I am happy to go with what ever you all decide. What do we need for supplies etc besides needles, embroidery thread and a hoop?

www.ijjie.blogspot.com; www.exploretheworld.blog.com; www.pittrock.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am ready to go. I don't have a preference for number of stitches.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Traildancer
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  09:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with ijjie--10 to 20 seems a doable number.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen-Farmgirl #918
Montrose Michigan
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  10:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought - what about coming up with a list of the stitches we would like to include. There are alot of rather basic stitches and then the list of more intricate ones goes on and on :-)

Chain
Back
Running
French Knot
Colonial Knot
Stem
Blanket
Chain
Dasiy
Herringbone
Fly - Feather
Satin
Split
Chevron

If we came up with the stitches the number would work out on its own. Also, I imagine some would opt out of some stitches and maybe others would add to the list. Individuality in a group :-) Something to think about. I am looking forward to my job coming to an end in a couple of weeks and the new contacts/eyeglasses being resolved...fingers are itching to stitch!

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  10:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a great idea. Everybody, post which stitches you want to do, and then when the list is complied that will determine the number. Ok, everyone, send me your wish list! As soon as we get the list we can get started!!!! I can't wait. I am thinking of entering mine in the county fair under the embroidery listing if it turns out well and if I don't have another project completed!
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  11:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thought, while you are sharing your stitches wish list, let me know what you would like the cover of the book to look like. Of course everyone can do it their own way, but I think we would all like to hear ideas from each other. I have an idea or two in mind, my name, year, and the title something like "My stitches" or something like that, but I think some pretty embroidery would be nice, flowers, etc., so please let me know your ideas.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  12:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Name year "My stitches" with some flowers sound good.

I agree with Raspberrybee. Her list is perfect.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  1:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does not matter with me how many. I would do all. But there are only about a gazillion stitches. HaHa 10 to 20 sounds good to me and I agree with Karen on which ones. I would love to use my new stitches for flowers, a date and my initials on the front. I have a book that has the alphabet; so beautiful.

LIVE simply, LOVE generously, CARE deeply, SPEAK kindly...Leave the rest to God.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  8:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raspberrybee's list sounds like a good start to me. I'm just ready to start stitching!! I also agree with name, year, title anld I also would like to use my stitches from the book to make a little pretty on front.

Hugs, Brenda
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  08:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree the list looks like a good place to start, and I like the idea of flowers on the cover with name, year and title. Let me know I'm ready to start stiching.

JOan

Go to Top of Page

jsparks60
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

June
Greene NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  6:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of the flowers on the cover too and the stitches that were listed sound like a great start! I'm in!

Farmgirl #1401

'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be' - from 'Simple Gifts'
Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  04:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy with Raspberrybee's list. And I'm happy with the description on the bookcover with name, date, and some flowers. I will go along with the majority.

Farmgirl #1443

Blessings from Heaven and Earth
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  09:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok ladies, we are ready to roll. I am going to try to rewrite my scribbly notes in some readable format. I'll also try to post them to a blog I started just for this purpose. I will put up the list of materials and anything else I can think of for you to start gathering, and then we can get going when everybody is ready. I was going to use fabric to cover the pages as a background, but am thinking scrapbook paper might be easier for everyone, you can buy less and it will be less expensive than buying 1/6 yards of fabric. If you have fabric already use that if you like! Have you all sent in your stitch wish list? I will add some of my own that I think you will like if we don't have enough. We will do the front and back of the book last after we have perfected all our stitches so we can use them to decorate the cover. Talk to you soon!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  6:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone: What about a hen in a flower garden with stitches and buttons for flowers? After all, we are a hen house. At least that's what I am going to add to mine. I'm into hen and chicks. Any stitches can be done many different ways so Taspberrybee's list is ok with me. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  05:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I've been MIA. Lot's going on here. Hope I can check in on a more regular basis. I'm going to print out your directions for the booklet!

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  06:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry----have been sick-so not online :( Hen in a Flower Garden sounds great for the cover. Any stitches are fine with me--20 sounds about right.
Hope you will put all this together for us, Julie, or--were they the directions ??? Thanks, jeannie

Come and share a pot of tea. My home is warm and my friendship free.
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  06:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raspberrys' list of stitches sounds good to me too!

Caron

"Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation."

Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  08:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, those weren't the directions. Just the list of supplies needed. You could always borrow whatever possible from friends to keep the cost down, fancy edge scissors, etc. I tried really hard to make it as economical as possible, and as easy as possible. There were millions of ways to do it but not all of us are experienced sewers, so I thought this was the easiest one I could come up with! I hope it works.
Are you all excited as I am at the number of ladies who have joined us? I expected, or hoped, for a handful of ladies, and look at us go! The more the merrier because we can all bring in our ideas and experience. With this many of us . . . who knows what we can come up with?!
Also, curious about what you all think of "An Embroiderer's Blessing" pattern #248, by CrabApple Hill. I love it and am planning on doing it. Is it something you all would be intersted in as a group project? Check it out on their website, crabapplehillstudio.com. The pattern sells for eight dollars. I saw it done up in a quilt shop and it is even more beautiful in person, seriously sweet and looks so pretty framed. It would also make a great pillow. I am thinking of embellishing it with beads and maybe using some narrow ribbon for stitching a few of the flowers, and who knows, maybe even a sequin or two. I am kinda into bling, can you tell? I love a little sparkle here and there. Diamonds are nice too, but beads and sequins are more in line with my budget. :) I thought we could even color in some of the flowers with this really easy technique . . . well, I am getting carried away again, sorry!
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  08:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well there you are Deb. I was wondering about you. I figured you were out in the yard working hard! Are your girls going to do the project with you?
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  11:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie
Love the idea of the hen in a flower garden. Do you have a pattern? The flowers I could work out on my own, but might need pattern for the hen!

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  1:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you all like the idea of the hen and chicks we could do that. Or if not each can do their own thing. I think we all like the idea of

My Stitches Or My Embroidery Stitches or My Stitch Sampler
Name
Year

all centered on the front. Maybe running along the bottom could be a bunch of flowers with the buttons, etc. and a hen (and chicks if you like) walking about the flowers. Cute. Add butterflies, dragonflies, whatever you like! I might even add a scarecrow and pumpkins and sunflowers since I love fall. We'll see what mood I am in when the time comes!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

PeggyAnn
Battle Ground WA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  7:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get that we are doing a Stitchery Book but are we doing just stitches or can we do a sampler or what. How are you going to decide who does what.

New and Confused even though I have read all the discussions.

blessings,
Peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  08:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peggy,
Don't worry about feeling confused. There's a lot of information and posts. A while back a few of us thought it would be fun to do an embroidery stitches book, and that's where this project started. I put it out there and more people wanted to do it, so we decided it would be our first project. You absolutely do not have to do it, just if you want to. You can pick and choose which projects you wish to do or have time to do. No pressure. If you would rather do an embroidery sampler - do that while we are doing the book. (Although, we might end up doing a sampler down the road, so if you want to wait and see you can wait a while. I'm not sure if that would be a project or not, have to see what everyone wants to do.) See, easy peasy, totally up to you. I did see another really cute embroiderer's prayer by CrabApple Hill that I am going to do in place of a sampler, I just thought it was cute. Of course, if everyone else wants to do a traditional sampler instead we can do that, and I'll just do mine on the side at home. No worries. We are just about learning and having fun, and sharing ideas and accomplishments. No pressure to do projects, only the ones you like. Also, please let us know what projects you all would like. I put a post up called "Next Project" for all of you to list ideas.
So, if you want to do the embroidery book I will be posting the actual instructions in a little while, as soon as everyone tells me they have their supplies and are ready to go.
I hope this answers some questions. If this isn't something you would want to do just wait and do the next one, or do something else you like! No problem!! If you do want to join along, then go shopping to get your things Missy!!!! Or hopefully you have most of it around the house already to save money. Talk to you soon.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

PeggyAnn
Battle Ground WA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  10:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julie...I am so happy to have that explanation. Thank You! I think I will wait until the next project, I am so glad that we can pick and choose. The embroiders prayer sampler sounds cool. That would be up my turn-up row! LOL

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  2:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yahoo! Finally able to join! Sorry for the brief interruption, carry one. ;)

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic First project Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page