Page: of 2

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  06:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Pam, and Peg and everyone, don't forget to post what you would like to do for projects. Look for the link "Next Project" and put your ideas there!
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  11:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Did you have a size in mind for the fabric pieces we will be stitching on? I am on vacation next week and was going to work on getting my supples ready to start "stitchin", while I have an extra free minute. Did the Hobby Lobby thip yesterday and picked out paper for my cover so I'm ready!!! I checked out the Crabapple Hill site and would do either the sampler or one of the season pillows. What a great way to kick off the summer-----new friends and new fun projects. Just give me the word--my needles are loaded. LOL

www.ijjie.blogspot.com; www.exploretheworld.blog.com; www.pittrock.com
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  8:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joan,
You will need 12 pieces of fabric approximately 8" square each. This will be cut down a little after stitching, but leaves you enough room to get into a hoop. I'll give you more details later but for now you can cut up twelve 8" squares of your stitching fabric. If you like using a bigger hoop and you have enough fabric go ahead and cut them a little bigger, up to you! We are going to do 2 different stitches on each page, thus each piece of fabric. I was thinking 2 or 3 rows of each of the stitches, with a handstitched title above each one stitched out in backstitch or stemstitch, kind of centered above the 2 or 3 rows of stitches. Each page background will be around 5-1/2 by 6-1/2, and the fabric will be a little less than that, and will be glued onto the page. Each page will have 2 stitches, each starting and ending around 1/2" in from the edge, and one group of stitches with the title placed higher up and the other lower. I'll write it all out to you on Monday, but just for now I hope this helps!
Example for you:

stem stitch

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Backstitch

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope that makes sense to you. If you want to only do 2 rows or 4, up to you! If you want the stitches to start in 1" instead of 1/2" from page edges that is up to you too! It's your project, and you do it however you like.

We will be writing in the name of the stitch with the Mark-B-Gone pen, but you don't even really have to do that now. Just make a line with the pen where the title will be, and you can draw in the name of the stitch later and embroider it then once you decide which stitch you want to use to embroider the name with. I like using stem stitch, but it would help if you waited until we did stem stitch, you know what I mean? Another stitch that could be used is backstitch, and there are probably many more that would work! Glad to hear you are excited, I hope everyone else is too!

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  08:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The names of the stitches are going to be centered, I typed them that way but now looking at the post I see it went to the left. Just so you know they will be centered over the actual stitches, that will look much nicer!
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  1:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info !

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  6:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does everybody have all the stuff they need? Are you ready to go? Let me know. By the way, if you can find a picture of yourself stitching or a picture of someone who taught you to stitch, like a grandma or aunt or mom, even if they are not stitching in the picture, see if you can make a copy of it to fit into your book, 3 x 5 would be plenty big. Black and white would be cool if you like that look!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are!"
Go to Top of Page

jsparks60
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

June
Greene NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  7:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just about everything and am rearing to go. I just LOVE the idea of including my grandmother's picture in the book!!! Oh how I wish I had a picture of her stitching one of her crazy quilts!!!! What a great idea!

Farmgirl #1401

'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be' - from 'Simple Gifts'
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  07:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok June, and everybody else,
I'll start posting directions to assemble. I wish I had a picture of my grandma sitting stitching in her chair. I might just put a picture of her being silly that I found, and I will remember her each time I see it! Use any picture you like, it will be a dedication of sorts to that person, or have one take of yourself stitching, and generations to come will treasure it!
Is everybody else ready??????

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

ijjie
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  08:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I'm ready and I love the idea of including a picture. Mine will be of my Mom and her sister who were both great emboidery mentors for me. My Aunt gave me a bunch of items for my "Hope Chest" that dates me eh? LOL Unfortunately they were all lost when we moved one time. I wish I still had them --was very sad to loose those beautiful treasures.

Joan farmgirl #849

Go to Top of Page

IrishHarp
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Susan
Delafield WI
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  3:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julie and everyone!
I finally made it back here after a major computer meltdown combined with much RL aggravation. Cant wait to get started on the book. Julie, I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Do you mean for each page to be roughly 5x7 when finished? Stitching on one side of each?
I will follow along with the stitches that were posted early on, since that seems to be the consensus. I really like the idea of a hen and flowers on the front. Does anyone have a simple hen? Would it be improper to use a simplified version of the henhouse logo?
I'm thinking to make mine all fabric, and doubling the fabric for each page to give it a little heft. possibly some interfacing.

Fun!

Susan

P.S. OK, I just found the thread that answers most of my questions! Duh!

Farmgirl #1230

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative. -Oscar Wilde

Edited by - IrishHarp on Jun 15 2010 3:37:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  6:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's ok Susan, I do that all the time!
For the hen on the front cover, just find a simple little shape that won't be too hard to embroider. The maryjane one is fine, or even a simpler one like in a childrens color book would work. Or just draw one, a really primitive looking one. Anything you want to do will work.
I like the idea of the picture of the person who started us stitching or who was the inspiration, or even just us stitching. I am going to enlarge the one I have and keep it in black and white. I might even put one of me next to it, like a collage, I don't know yet. It would be me and my grandma who I loved dearly. This will be on the inside of the book, the first page. Opposite that on the cover inside you can write a little dedication to, or paragraph about the person in the picture. I am probably going to write something like, I dedicate this book to my grandma, Ina Pearl Littrell Ludwig, for being my inspiration in all my stitching, sewing, and knitting adventures, and to my grandaughter Hailey and any other future grandchildren or greatgrandchildren who may find this book one day, in hopes of you finding the joy I have found in my stitches. Something like that.

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  7:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody,
Just in time for the weekend, something for you to do! Here are the stitches for the embroidery book.

1. Running stitch
2. Back stitch
3. Satin stitch
4. French knot
5. Stem stitch
6. Split stitch
An excellent tutorial was recommended by Deb, City Chick. the website is www.dmc-usa.com
Go to Learning Center, then "How To Videos, then Embroidery Basics. She does such a wonderful job explaining all facets of embroidery, tools, transfering, hints, ideas, so please do watch it! This is such an informative tutorial, please don't skip it. Watch it all, right to the end. She demonstrates the first six stitches.

Next, sublimestitching.com has great tutorials. Click on "How To" button, third row, left side, click on Learning Stitches. Go to:
7. Lazy Lotus

Next, go to primrosedesign.blogspot.com Another fabulous site! Great tutorials. On her blog she has a button on the right for "Stitch School" which you should click on. On stitch school, you will find a LONG list of stitches to the left.
8. Blanket stitch
9. Couching
10. Feather stitch
11. Herringbone stitch
12. Interlaced band stitch
13. Interlaced running stitch
14. Palestrina stitch
15. Pekinese stitch
16. Scroll stitch
17. Seed stitch
18. Spider web
19. Up and down buttonhole
20. Wheatear

Ok, now go to http://www.rocksea.org Yes, another great one. You are all going to love these sites!!! Click on Hand Embroidery, and find among others:
21. Laced running stitch
22. Looped running stitch
23. Stepped running stitch
24. Interlaced running stitch
25. Pistil stitch
26. Colonial Knot
27. Chain stitch
28. Long tailed daisy
29. Petal chain stitch
While you are on the rocksea one, I dare you to click on redwork and bluework. Cute stuff, just more ideas of things you will love to try!

Lastly, needlenthread.com go to How To Videos. You will flip!
30. Double herringbone stitch
31. Fern stitch
32. Lazy daisy
33. Seed stitch
34. Spider web
35. Buttonhole wheel stitch

Ok, I know, I know, there are too many. Yes, I'll admit, I got carried away. But, in my defense, some of them are very similar,so you can pick and choose which variation you prefer, and I probably have a few in there twice but by a different person because I liked the instructions or the pictures.

Go check them all out, and by all means while on the websites click on everything and look at it all! If you see something else you like write it down and use that! I didn't think it should be just strictly "These 20 stitches" because we all have different ideas of what is beautiful to us, so I included extras so you can pick and choose. I hope you find at least 20 you like. If you like so many and you can't decide, instead of doing 2 on a page you can do 3, no problem! I might do all of them, except not duplicates! Depends on my mood!
I really hope you will find something you like. Let me know which you pick! Tomorrow or the next day I'll give you some more instructions. I'm getting tired now and don't want to make a mistake! Take care everyone!!!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  7:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll rewrite those last three websites so you can link to them:

www.needlenthread.com

www.sublimestitching.com

www.rocksea.org

www.primrosedesign.blogspot.com

There ya go! I'll try to do it right the first time next time!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic First project Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page