Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Embroidery book Next Topic  

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  10:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to start a new post for this since we have so many to scroll down on in the prior post. I will try to be as organized as possible, which isn't easy for my crafter's ADD mind, but here we go. For supplies:

One cereal box.
Decorative scrapbooking paper, total 8 pages, or even gift wrap.
Craft glue or tacky glue.
Foam brush or disposable bristle brush (helpful, not necessary).
Needle and embroidery floss.
Mark-B-Gone fabric pen.
Utility scissors.
Decorative edge scissors optional.
Fabric for stitching on, 1/2 yard or scraps.

1. Save one cereal box. Cut off the sides so you have one good piece, a front or back should do. We'll cut it down to size later.

2. Next, decorative scrapbook paper. One piece, at least standard 8-1/2 by 11, to decorate the front and back (will be glued to the cardboard). If you would rather use a piece of fabric or anything else - feel free! I will probably use fabric since I have enough fabric to open a small quilt shop in my basement. Later you can embellish it to your hearts desire!

3. More decorative paper for the inside of the cardboard front and back covers and pages. This does need to be paper, not fabric. We will be gluing pages wrong sides together so we need a few more pieces than you might think. Purchase 7 pages of this, at least 8-1/2 by 11. Mix and match, all the same, one each of seven different designs, whatever you like. These will be the inside pages where we will glue our fabric stitches onto.

4. Some good craft glue and a couple foam or cheap bristle brushes you can brush the glue on with. You can find these at the craft stores, where you will be buying all the other stuff. I say a couple because if you forget to rinse the first one out like someone who shall remain nameless and you need to do more gluing for the stitches you will be out of luck. Elmers glue might work, but I think I will use tacky glue or craft glue since I have it already.

5. Needle and thread. A not too tiny embroidery needle and a small amount of embroidery floss which will be used to bind the pages together. Try to get a color that will coordinate with your page colors. You all probably have something lying around that will do. I don't think it would even need to be a yard long of 6 strand floss.

6. Of course, you will need an embroidery needle and floss to actually make your stitches. Choose different colors if you like, or do them all the same. I will be doing different colors cause I love them all!

7. Mark-B-Gone fabric marking pen. Invaluable to me. You don't have to have it, but you can use it to draw lines on the fabric and the name of the stitch, and then stitch on it, and when you are done it will either disappear on its own or you dab at it with a damp cloth and presto! So your lines are straight and you don't have a pencil mark. Honestly, this will come in handy for when you trace embroidery patterns onto fabric. One side is blue, the other purple. the purple ink just kind of disappears on it's own, and the blue stays until you dab at it. If you leave your project too long and you can't see it anymore, press over it with a warm iron and presto, there it is again! I love this pen, wouldn't be without a least two of them in my sewing and embroidery stash. Not too expensive either.

8. I might as well mention scissors. Hopefully you have some kitchen or utility scissors to cut the cardboard and papers, since you don't want to ruin your good fabric scissors. If you have some decorative edge scissors to trim your pages with it would be really cute too. I will probably do the zig-zag ric-rac look edge on mine (whoulda thought?) using pinking shears. Choose whatever you like. You could do a different edge on each page if you have them already, or borrow some from a scrapbooking friend who must surely have some. There are tons of them out there with scallops, all sorts of designs for the edges. Go crazy!

9. Lastly, you can decide on which type of fabric to make your actual stitches on. Plain muslin would be inexpensive and work well. You could also use cotton solid quilting fabrics which should be available everywhere that they sell calicoes. Tons of colors to choose from. Just remember if you use a dark shade it will require a darker thread to show up. You can make each page a different color if you have scraps too, to coordinate with your page background. For all one color 1/2 yard would be more than enough. For scraps of different colors, you would need the stitching area to be at least 6 inches, but remember you still have to hoop them to stitch so they have to be a little bigger than that. You can use whatever fabric you like to embroider on and looks nice on your background page color, but remember not to get too busy since it will make your stitches disappear and those are the star of the book! Maybe a subtle print without too much contrast would work. Up to you! I am thinking about using gingham, but it is so thin. I might layer a piece of gingham over a piece of muslin and then use that. The gingham is charming and also has lines to follow, but I am not sure if the stitches will show up. If you choose to do this just layer the two pieces of fabric on top of each other and then hoop them. You can use a spray adhesive on the wrong sides of each to help them stay together. This is available at fabric and craft stores too. I think it is called quilt basting spray or something. Basically just like hairspray but is meant to be used with fabric. You could even use a cotton dish towel for a more homespun look, or that fabric they have that is cotton but looks like linen called osnaburg. That would be a nice earthy country touch. Linen would even be beautiful! Oh boy, here comes the ADD.

I know this is long, but just in case I would rather err on the side of over-explaining than not giving enough info! HAPPY SHOPPING.

ijjie
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  11:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie
Thanks so much for organizing this!!! I can't wait to get started. Will gather up some things tonight and I will be ready to go when you are. "Happy Stichin Ladies"

Joan

www.ijjie.blogspot.com; www.exploretheworld.blog.com; www.pittrock.com
Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  12:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Julie, great job explaining everything. I'm off to my sewing room to gather supples. YIPPEE!

Farmgirl sister #1443

Blessings from Heaven and Earth
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you are excited too! I actually might stop at Hobby Lobby after I visit my mom at the nursing home and check out some scrapbook papers. I already have some, but you never know what new and exciting things I might find! What fun I have!!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  1:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am gathering my supplies too. OOOooo an excuse to go to Hobby Lobby!!!! LOL

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  05:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie thank you for getting this organized for us. Will start gathering supplies today.
Hugs, Brenda
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  08:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Thanks Julie I can't wait to get my supplies together and start stitching! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh I went to Michael's last week but another reason to go back! OH, I'm in heaven.
Donna

LIVE simply, LOVE generously, CARE deeply, SPEAK kindly...Leave the rest to God.
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  08:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am truly happy to be giving you all a reason to go back to the craft stores or fabric stores once again! I love any reason to go, and enjoy myself thoroughly. I am trying to think of a reason I have to go back again today. So far I can only come up with the fact that I have a 40 percent off coupon for both JoAnns and Hobby Lobby. What a shame to let it go to waste. The problem is with Hobby Lobby you can print them out on line and I have a new one each day if I want . . . .
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  6:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should add that if you want your book to have a tie closure buy a couple feet of ribbon, 1/4 inch or a little bigger is fine for width. Something pretty to match the cover would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

Traildancer
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  10:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Julie. In reading the supplies list, I realize that I have all the materials to start. Yippee!!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  07:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
I just realized that I posted all the stitches for our embroidery book project on a different link. Duh, I was tired. Go to First Project and go to the third page of posts. There is a long post including all the stitches and a little more info. Later on today or tomorrow I'll post the measurements for the fabric to stitch onto! Sorry about that, I wanted to keep it all on one post, but duh!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are!"
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  11:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, hopefully now you have all looked over the stitches list and decided. Remember I posted it on the other page, sorry.
1. If you purchased 1/2 yard of fabric, cut it this way:
Cut into two 9" by 44" wide strips, it has to be at least 40" wide.
2. Subcut each 9" strip into five blocks, approximately 8 x 9 inches. If you can make them 8-1/2 x 9 instead of 8 x 9, that gives you even more room to hoop. If you are using scraps, cut out 10 blocks around 8-1/2 x 9.
3. Draw onto each one with a fabric marking pen that can be erased or put a piece of tape if you don't have a marker, an area of 6-1/2" x 4-1/4". This is the area of fabric that you will sew in.
4. You will actually cut this block of fabric to 7" x 4-3/4" wide later when you are done stitching, but we want to leave some extra to hoop.
5. Put the name of the stitch first, then a row or two or three of stitches, whatever you like. I would center the name over the stitches. You don't actually even have to do the name now, just make a line for it so you know where to start. Once you master stem stitch you can stitch the names in really easily, I use this for writing words all the time! Predraw the lines for the name, and the lines for the stitches so you go straight. If you use the Mark-B-Gone pen these will disappear, so no worries!
6. Stitch either 2 or 3 stitches per page. Two per page would give you 20. Three per page would give you 30. Just try to leave a little space on the top and bottom of the page, and a little space between stitches to make it look nice!
7. I am using either embroidery floss or perle cotton, haven't decided yet. Don't worry too much about the back, it will be glued down.
You should end up with 10 blocks of stitches. I think I will do 30 since I can't decide which ones to do, so I'll do pretty much all of them! This is a learning project, right???
8. Have fun!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are!"
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Embroidery book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page