YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2021 :  04:46:04 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, my sister cans chicken to use in chicken casserole. It's one of her go-to dishes for her Sunday dinners.

The pickled mix-veg yielded 7 pints and leftover pint for the fridge. Had some for lunch and thought the green beans were very good.

Will put off putting up the ground beef until tomorrow - 33 this morning - too cold to be out in my Yellow Rose Cottage.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2021 :  03:16:17 AM  Show Profile
Yes that is a tad bit chilly. But it would of warmed up the cottage!! lol Enjoy your good canned food.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2021 :  3:04:22 PM  Show Profile
I canned the ground beef yesterday - 4 pints and today 4 pints Irish potatoes. Thought about doing French fries, but didn't feel up to doing all that cutting and slicing, so French fries will have to wait for a better day.

My sister saw regular Golden Harvest lids (made in USA) for $1.75 at Dollar General. Weren't many and no wide mouths. She has a stash of lids so she didn't get them. I too have a stash so we agreed to leave them for another woman looking for lids.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2021 :  03:02:08 AM  Show Profile
Sara I have not canned beef, what would you use your canned hamburger for? I will have to check out our towns dollar general and see if they have lids. I had not looked in there for them. I did get quite a few ball lids from our farm store.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2021 :  03:37:58 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, so far I think I will use the canned ground beef in soup, chili, and hash.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  08:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Today I'm drying chocolate mint. It was potted on April 8 and with all the rain and cooler temps it has filled it's pot. Enough leaves for two heaping trays.

For you who are new to drying herbs here are some "rule of the thumb" hints.

Large leaf herbs may be taken off stems to dry.

Small leaf herbs are usually left on the stem and removed after drying. Easy way to remove dried leaves is to hold stem by top end and run fingers down the stem.

Usually I let the herbs air dry on a clean kitchen towel after washing but today I need the counter space so I used my salad spinner. Salad spinners come in handy when drying herbs.

The peppermint is ready to harvest so I hope to dry it tomorrow.

Now that I will have dried mint both plants can go to flower through the summer for the butterflies and bees. Harvesting fresh leaves now and then for iced tea.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  09:01:27 AM  Show Profile
Michele - I used my canned ground beef in the meals Sara mentioned, but also for taco meat, in shepherd's pie, spaghetti sauce... lots of things. It's very versatile and makes a quick meal easy as a breeze!

We use home canned chicken a lot - very versatile as well. I actually made chicken patties with it last night and they turned out amazing! In a pinch, I've used it to make mock chicken parmigiana, and surprisingly, it was DEE-LISH!

Wow Sara! Lucky you! I just planted a big chocolate mint plant from my cousin last month and am dying to start digging in! I have other mints out in the garden, too; but they will have to wait a while. How do you use your chocolate mint? I will use it in tea, of course; but was wondering if it might be good to use in an extract, or other beverages and recipes. I make a mean mocha iced coffee with mint, and think that the chocolate mint would be awesome in that!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  09:19:13 AM  Show Profile
Nini, so far I just used it in hot or iced tea, coffee and to make chocolate mint sugar. Herb flavored sugar or salt is handy to have on hand.

To make herb flavored sugar or salt layer dried herb with sugar or salt. Let sit for a week or two before using. If you don't want the dried herb leaves after it has done it's job of flavoring you can shift the sugar or salt. Small specks of the herb may remain.

Another hint I forgot to post earlier. Harvest herbs after the dew has dried in the mornings when their oil is at it's highest. The only herb I know of that is harvested in the evening is comfrey.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  10:38:06 AM  Show Profile
OH! What a GREAT idea, Sara! I will definitely try flavoring sugar with this, and flavoring my salt with other herbs! You are AWESOME! Thank you for sharing that!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - May 29 2021 :  07:03:00 AM  Show Profile
Canning 4 pints carrots with herbs today. I couldn't decide what herb to use so I decided to do a test on which ones I like best with canned carrots. One herb sprig to each jar - rosemary, Syrian oregano, peppermint, and lemon thyme.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - May 30 2021 :  07:18:46 AM  Show Profile
Canned 4 pints King City Pinks dried beans with fresh bay leaf this morning. Feels so good to be out in my Yellow Rose Cottage canning again.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4911 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4911 Posts

Posted - May 30 2021 :  11:43:53 AM  Show Profile
I was hoping to make Strawberry jam, but in addition to my MS pricking fingers, I busted a Blood Vessel in one from picking up heavy Wal-mart handle bags with my fingers and I know better! I got to get back to paying attention!

I love reading about all your kitchen adventures!
Connie 33392
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  06:46:46 AM  Show Profile
Connie I hope your MS issues leave you so you can make your strawberry jam. I know what's it like for MS to get in the way of what I want to do.

This morning is another good morning so I have 4 pints of dried heirloom midnight beans with fresh bay leaf in the pressure canner as I type.

Have now canned three days in a row so I will take a break from canning for a few days so I can clean house and work in the garden.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2021 :  02:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Nice way to start off the canning season, Sara. Lots of beans!! My herbs have been growing like crazy too. Time to get some fresh herbs drying for the year. Been waiting on my rhubarb to come back and can some jam. Hopefully we are done with freezing temps now. The weekend was a cold one.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  06:36:46 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I put up four pints baby green lima dried beans. This morning I ordered four lbs bison from Aldi to can in the morning.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  11:03:19 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I love reading and learning about your canning projects in the Yellow Rose Cottage! There are so many delicious ideas being made up for future meals. I close my eyes and imagine you out there with things getting prepped and canned and the place smelling wonderful. I am grateful that you MS is not interfering with your projects and your fun! Pet Annie for me!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  11:38:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Winnie and Annie loves a little extra attention.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  10:07:05 PM  Show Profile
I am learning to use a pressure canner. My sister and I put up some elk that she harvested from her property. I also was able to help harvest an elk when I was up there. Such an amazing experience! We also harvest chickens every year.

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2021 :  1:29:17 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, I know to put up meat that you helped to harvested must be satisfying.

Today I cooked a butterflied leg of lamb using a recipe from a 1944 war time cookbook. Turned out very tender with a slight vinegary taste since it was marinated for 24 hours in 3 cups white vinegar and 3 cups water with carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and S&P. Will definitely use this recipe again.

What's going on in your kitchen?

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2021 :  04:53:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara, I dried 5 trays of loveage, but it is still in the dehydrator....... Been busy haying will get it out today or turn it back on for a while. lol Kitchen will wait till next weekend I guess to get some jam canned. I enjoy reading about your adventures as well.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2021 :  06:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I have never grown loveage. How do you use it? Keep on haying the kitchen will be there when you are ready to put up jam. I don't know how you get it all done.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2021 :  03:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Loveage, we use it like a celery flavoring. That is about the best way to describe it. It scents your hands good for a day as well. Yesterday morning I cut the oregano, so that have drying. Right now Sara, my rear is dragging. Two full days of cutting, and now we will start baling. My husband rakes, so then I come home from work early and get the baler going. We hooked up last night, and I greased it. So it is ready to jump in and go. Next three days, no rain in forecast, so we will get it done. I hope no break downs. We did have t bone steaks and asian salad for supper last night. That was nice!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2021 :  05:55:29 AM  Show Profile
I may have to give loveage a try next spring. I love having something new to plant each year. This year it was strawberry mint thanks to Grace "Katmom".

Your supper sounds delish. You work like a field hand so you should eat like one too. I do admire your dedication to your farm and the joy you get from it.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2021 :  01:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Summer has landed in Texas with a bang - one day rain and 70 the next day hot with heat index of 107. We are being asked to conserve energy so I started canning mushroom broth about an hour ago. Got up at 2:30 a.m. and was out in my Yellow Rose Cottage by a little before 3:00. Had to make iced tea to get me going. Annie has been hunting since we got up.

Also made chicken broth yesterday so hope to can it on Thurs. If it works out I will put it up during the night or early in the morning. Will put bean canning off until the fall so I can do my fair share of conserving energy. Heard on the 5 o'clock news 12% of our energy grid is off line. That's not good news going into summer.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2021 :  03:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear all that. Stay cool. Getting your canning done though, that is great.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Current Kitchen Creations" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page