Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2021 :  10:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, Sara! Has Texas not been through enough already?! I am so sorry you're going through this. I will be praying for you - for ALL of you!

Girls - I made meatzza pizza the other day... There are no words to express how delicious it is. It is pizza made with a meat crust, instead of traditional dough. You basically make your favorite meatball mixture without any breadcrumbs for the "crust." If you'd like to check out how I made mine, please check out my "Meatzza" post! I think everyone will really love it!

I also topped my almost 400 onions (long story - I didn't mean to plant that many!) the other day, and have spent the past couple of days dehydrating them to use in recipes as well as to grind into onion powder! Unfortunately, they are way too light for my spice grinder, so I'm going to have to find another way to make the powder. I do have a mortar and pestle, but I think that would take forever. Worst case scenario, I can use it for individual batches. Any suggestions? I have to say, they are DELISH, and smell wonderful! SO excited to use them!

AND I've already harvested and air dried a few batches of rose petals for tea! I laid them on parchment on my dining room table - the whole house smelled like Heaven!

Michele - I'm going to be harvesting herbs in the morning and dehydrating them, too! I just love this time of year, don't you?

I also picked up a couple of flats of strawberries from my girlfriend's farm. They are very small, but they are the sweetest, most authentically tasting strawberries I've had in a long time! Nothing like those at the grocery store! I feel so very blessed to have them! I can't decide whether to can them, turn them into jam, or just freeze them. I guess I'd better just get cracking and prepare them tomorrow, THEN decide! Just hope my hubby and I don't snack them away! LOL!

Finally, I've harvested a few hundred grape leaves that now rest in the freezer for my mother-in-law's Lebanese rolled grape leaves (not to be confused with the Greek style!) for the holidays. I really, really, REALLY wish I could find a way to can the leaves straight off the vines. They would be so pretty in jars! I just haven't hand any luck finding a canning recipe. Have any of you ever canned them?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2021 :  03:17:10 AM  Show Profile
Nini, That is alot of onions, wow. lol I grate the onions and dry. Then I store in a glass jar. You can use them as you choose from there. I have a coffee grinder I use, grind and then sift and use a mortar and pestle to finish off any chunks. I hope to pick my rhubarb tonight and make some jam. I have never canned any grape leaves, I put them in pickles but that is the only way I have used them. Hope you can find something, or invent a way to do it.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2021 :  10:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Michele! My coffee/spice grinder won't grind them to powder, although it does a nice job of turning them into flakes. I tried using my Ninja, but all that did was whir them around as if there was a tempest in the pitcher. I do have a blender to try...somewhere...I just have to remember who has it, or where I have stored it. Lol. I dont use it very often.

Yes.. It is an INSANE amount of onions! I bought starts online. They said there was about 50 starts to a bunch, so I bought three. Well, there were a lot of wee ones included in those bunches that put the total in each WELL over 50 in each, and I wasn't pitching them into the compost, that's for sure! Lol. 'Glad I had a place to plant them all! Waste not, want not! I will definitely be sharing with family and friends. I am really excited, tho, because this year I will have plenty to try new recipes. In particular, I am really looking forward to canning pickled red onions! Yum! Anyhow, I am really grateful for the extras. God seems to always provide more of certain veggies each year than in others, and it is always exactly what we and our loved ones need!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 18 2021 10:28:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2021 :  04:13:12 AM  Show Profile
By a little after 3:00 a.m. this morning I began canning mayocoba dried beans. They are from Peru and now grown in California - kin to pinto beans.

No dew so I was able to harvest peppermint and chocolate mint to dry - one tray each.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2021 :  06:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Sara!! You are up before the chickens. I was out at 6:30 weeding in the garden. Got the potatoes, onions, and peas weeded and the first two hilled. Picked of potato bugs and eggs. Darn things. Not supposed to bother the yukon gold as much, but they do. We are finally getting a little bit of rain this morning. Hope it continues all day. I canned rhubarb jam yesterday morning, but have 7 jars that did not seal. Will redo them today. Not sure what was up with that issue.
Nini one thing, you won't have to plant onions next year, you will have alot left over. Always a good thing too.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2021 :  07:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, weeding and hilling, both are back-breaking work - you did good.

Sometimes I can figure out why a jar doesn't seal but mostly it's a mystery.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2021 :  12:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Peppermint, Parsley, Marjoram and Sweet Basil all harvested and dried. Sage in the dehydrator now. Feeling accomplished.

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2021 :  12:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Theresa, I like to can, but I enjoy working with my herbs. I get a lot of peace and pleasure around my herbs.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2021 :  1:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I like to can also. I agree, lots of peace and pleasure around my herbs.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2021 :  05:20:55 AM  Show Profile
Summer is in full swing now. Just picked my first cabbage. I also covered up a head of cauliflower that was forming. I have dried all my herbs now. Will do more parsley and basil later. Been keeping up with weeds so that is good. I have peas coming, so they will go in the freezer. Need to hunt down some wild raspberries and make some jam. We have been dry this summer though. Might be hard to find. Happy harvesting.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2021 :  05:39:34 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, the first of any crop is always special. Enjoy that cabbage.

Speaking of cabbage I need to start another badge of red cabbage sauerkraut. Green cabbage is good but using red cabbage is my favorite.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  09:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I received my MJF Magazine and it is packed full of all kinds of goodies. What caught my eye was the article of quick or overnight pickles. Since I'm not canning this summer, so I can help conserve energy this is exactly what I have been looking for so I can put up something. Going to start with the overnight zucchini pickles; pickled radishes; and overnight pickled ginger. I've added all the ingredients I need to my Aldi shopping list so I will be working on the pickles over the coming days.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2021 :  03:32:12 AM  Show Profile
I saw those recipes too. Good luck with them Sara. Did you notice they do say storing time is 2 weeks? I have made a pickle recipe that would keep in the fridge all winter. My husband is the pickle eater, I am not. lol Last year I finally, after 35 years of marriage, canned pickles that he liked. It was his grandmas recipe. I have made them before, but last year they were good. So I wonder what I did right.........got to try to remember. haha I replanted cucumbers. The first planting not one seed came up. So I thought I would plant what was left in the packet. Got a whole row, I think every seed came up. Glad the chickens like cucs. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2021 :  10:28:52 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I saw the 2-weeks storage time too. Hoping I can stretch it to three weeks.

Happy to hear your second sowing of cucumbers worked.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2021 :  6:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Woo hoo I got enough raspberries to make a batch of jam. Between wild and a few rouge tame ones in my wild roses,I have enough. Got them in the freezer for right now, as unfortunately it is Monday eve.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2021 :  04:37:10 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to add I froze broccoli and celery on Sunday as well.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2021 :  06:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, your foraged raspberry jam has to be yummy. BTW I love wild roses.

My sister is coming over later to learn how to make sauerkraut in wide mouth qt mason jar. I'll start a new batch along with her.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2021 :  3:35:18 PM  Show Profile
hope you girls had fun making sauerkraut. I did get my jam made yesterday. 5 jelly jars and a bit leftover for breakfast. it is so good. Used my crab apple syrup for pectin. I had an unexpected day off of work yesterday, entire system was down. I got the first peas picked and froze also. tonight I froze another head of broccoli. Hoping I got all the worms out.........bahbhhahaha.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2021 :  6:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow you gals have been very busy, I do not have a garden this year we have been busy building the house so the, landscaping /gardening will have to get done next year. I am trying my hand at container planting, I have some chamomile in one container, and am suppose to get some lavender, I want to try some dill, and tomatoes, and some basil. I miss having all the good veggies. I want to make refrigerated pickles if anyone has a recipe?

Sheila
farmgirl #5766

Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2021 :  8:15:16 PM  Show Profile
I just thought I would share a recipe for Peanut Butter Baked Oats:-
Mash 1 banana in a bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 cup milk, 1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and a handful of raspberries. Pour into a 4-cup ovenproof dish. Bake at 200C (390F) for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Top with vanilla yoghurt and drizzle with honey to serve.
Enjoy!!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2021 :  06:48:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe, Cindy. Sounds tasty and it's healthy too.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2021 :  04:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Looking for dried beans, to can. Sara where do you order your beans from? I just want pinto beans to make chili beans, and black beans. I have plenty left of the other beans I canned. Prices seem high on amazon.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2021 :  06:13:41 AM  Show Profile
Michelle I order from https://www.ranchogordo.com/ - they're high but the beans are very good and have not been in warehouse for ages. Most of their beans are grown in California but some come from Mexico. I'm partial to their midnight black beans. When I eat beans I don't have meat so I just think of the price of beans as what I would pay if I was having meat. I only eat meat several times a week so I want to have good beans.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2021 :  08:51:13 AM  Show Profile
Picked 8 cups of blackberries yesterday from my berry bush in the backyard... Triple Berry Pie Filling done and in the freezer....

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2021 :  4:02:15 PM  Show Profile
thanks Sara. oh that pie filling looks yummy Theresa!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Current Kitchen Creations" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page