texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  6:00:06 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I love the pic of your husband! That hot chocolate looked dreamy!

I have been nurturing a new “pet” - sourdough starter. I have been making two or so loaves of sourdough bread a week. I am still not used to the whole “discard” aspect of things, but the bread is amazing!

I can’t wait to start making jams and canning things.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  9:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Lol! Thanks, Nicole! Doesn't he just look like a little kid on Christmas morning? I sooo miss his smile! It WAS definitely like Christmas that day!

Would you be able to share your sourdough starter recipe? CJ had sent me hers a while back, but I lost it when my computer blew last year (two years ago??? tempus fugit!).. She hasn't been able to locate it, either. So I would really be thrilled to have one! Do you use rye flour with your starter? I heard that is a "must have" to get it going! I also found "instant" sour dough starter in the baking aisle last spring. It was on the shelf next to the yeast, actually. But I have yet to try it. It wouldn't be the same, I'm sure. And I imagine I wouldn't be able to salvage any of it to create a new "living" starter.

Miss you, girlie!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  08:55:16 AM  Show Profile
Taco Stew recipe: 2 cans chili beans, 2 cans black beans, 2 cans pinto beans, 2 T taco seasoning, 2 cans tomato soup, 1 quart jar of tomato juice, 1 lb hamburger browned, some onion, 1 pkg frozen corn-about 3 cups.
Drain black and pinto beans, add all to a crock pot and let it cook all day on low.
Sorry for a simple recipe, but I did not write every direction down. Throw it together like a chili. We like to serve it with tortilla chips. I also use all my home canned beans, and tomato juice. (not the drinking juice)

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  08:58:05 AM  Show Profile
I have started checking to replenish my stock of canning jar lids. Turns out most places are still out of them, not sure if this is a seasonal item or what the deal is. I checked at a bulk food store I like to go to, out. Went online to Lehmans to order sleeves of bulk lids, out and not taking orders. Checked in our local farm store, out of stock. It still have quite a few, but this is making me wonder.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  09:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michelle for the recipe. I will have to cut the beans in half or I would be eating on it for a month. lol

Thanks for the heads up on lid shortage. I will keep that in mind and check often for a source.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  2:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I saw Ball canning lids at our local Wal-Mart.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 20 2021 2:45:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  4:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Girls,

As of this morning, Fillmore Container had smooth-sided wide mouth quarts, silver made-in-the-U.S.A. canning lids in bulk, and a couple of other supplies. If you request to be placed on their email list, they will alert you when they have product available. Thing is, tho, I usually see them listed on line a couple of days before they email me; so you will definitely want to keep your eye out.

I am also considering trying those twist-on plastisol lined lids for canning if I can't get regular lids - has anyone tried them for canning before?

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 20 2021 4:57:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  02:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini. I did read a review on the silver and one person said don't use if pressure canning. I was trying to compare them to see the difference, but to early in the morning......lol. Will save the site though. Thank you.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  02:33:16 AM  Show Profile
We will be looking for lids anytime we go to town, thanks Denise. Sara, I make up the taco stew with what I have on hand. We due usually throw containers in the freezer to have for later. Half a batch is just as easy to make!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  04:35:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michele!

In all honesty, whenever I have ordered, only the gold were available, so that is what I have. I have had no problems with them with either water bath or pressure canning. Lisa (Nubidane) and I were discussing the person's comment about the silver lids just yesterday, and, like she suggested, we probably can't really go by one negative review because we cant be sure whether the person was following correct procedure. It is an expensive purchase, for sure, which does make it a tough call. Perhaps Customer Service could address your concerns and explain their return policy. I have just never had a problem with their products. If you do buy the lids at some point, please let us know how they work out for you! I will definitely do the same! :)

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  05:24:14 AM  Show Profile
For several years I've only been able to buy Ball silver lids in our local stores. Works for me like the gold.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  08:38:21 AM  Show Profile
I ordered some of the silver lids from Fillmore. Will try to can some broth in them, which is an ongoing thing here with chicken and turkey carcasses. I guess canning dried beans would be a better test, due to the longer canning time.
My big thing is MADE IN USA! Beware of some of the Amazon lids.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  02:58:04 AM  Show Profile
Yes I saw that made in the USA!! I know one person who ordered off of amazon and some of the lids crinkled when pressure canning. That is the only reason I am wondering. So is it a thickness issue? Are some lids thinner? That is what I was going to research, what is the difference between silver and gold canning lids? so i looked a bit about the difference. The gold ones have a dimple and the silver do not?? Some said they were 70mm and some 86mm, and some did not have a thickness. Like you girls said, if you going to invest roughly 200 dollars into reg. and large mouth lids, you sure want to know they are going to do the job.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  05:30:13 AM  Show Profile
One cause of crinkling of lids is tightening bands too tight. Last year I had several lids to crinkle and my sister said "it was probably cause by tightening the lids too tight". She learned that from an older woman years ago. Now I tighten my lids and ease off a tad - so far no more crinkling in pressure canner and lids seal.

I too worry about some lids being thinner and what impact that has on sealing and maintaining a good seal.

Now for the story on how Betty learned about crinkling of lids. She bought lids from a store and when some of them crinkled she took them back to the store and told manager they were bad. Then she learned she was probably tightening them too tight. Next time she was in the store all lids were on sale 75% off, and she bought a bunch of them. BTW she never had another crinkled lid.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2021 :  04:39:12 AM  Show Profile
Great discussion on lids, thank you. It is always good to get different opinions that is for sure. I have never had a lid crinkle, that being said I probably just jinxed myself. lolol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  06:11:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm a wee bit ahead of St Paddy Day, but today I'll be cooking corned beef and cabbage with Irish potatoes & carrots. Irish cream cheese cake for dessert. Gotta love the Irish and so happy I am one.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  07:20:50 AM  Show Profile
YUM! One of my most favorite meals of the year. Have never made Irish cream cheesecake, Sara, but that sounds to die for! I do make Irish soda bread with our cb&c...Remember to let the fairies out!

A few years back I corned my own beef... I wonder if its too late to do so for this year? So good! Nothing like it! Will have to check and see!!!

Hugs-

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 03 2021 07:21:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  07:44:29 AM  Show Profile
Nini, the Irish cream cheese cake is from Aldi - a baker I'm not.

I've corned beef several times. May do it again soon. Does take a wee bit of time in the fridge and I do get tire of it taking up space.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  07:53:18 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Well, Sara, ALDI I can DO! LOL! Thank you! I'll have to check that out!

Space...that will definitely be a problem right now. Maybe next year, then! I keep losing track of time. I thought today was SUNDAY, that's how bad I am lately! I'll have to put it on my calendar for the beginning next February!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  03:19:21 AM  Show Profile
Canning weather has arrived! Swept my Yellow Rose Cottage yesterday and today I'll clean all work surfaces with 5% vinegar wipes if the rain holds off. Up-graded to a 1500 W hot plate to be delivered on Tues. Wed or Thurs I hope to start canning. First is King City Pinks made famous in John Steinbeck's "Tortilla Flat". That's what the description said.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  03:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Good luck with the canning Sara. We will be canning syrup soon.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  11:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Started making homemade flatbread a few weeks ago. Love how easy it is - just water, flour, baking soda and a little salt! It has become our favorite go to bread, and we love it for mini pizzas. I just saw a recipe on YouTube where the lady basically uses 1 part flour to 1 part mashed sweet potatoes (or any of the various squashes like butternut or pumpkin) and a little bit of salt. Hers looked amazing! She said the key to keeping them soft and malleable is to store them between clean old tee shirt material. I'm thinking of trying that with mine. The one issue I have is that mine are never soft and malleable enough to fold, like a pita. But we enjoy it very much, anyway! Will definitely be trying her recipe next week!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  08:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Well girls, I have become a bread crazed baker! I have been making sourdough bread each week, with sourdough starter we call “Dough Beast”. With my discard, I am also making sour dough rosemary crackers. We are so in love with them, that I make about six batches a week! I also tried sourdough pancakes, but we liked them, though not as much as MJ’s recipe using her Bakeover mix.

I also have been making Foccacia bread using the dough art method. I will be trying pretzels and bagels next.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6801 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6801 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2021 :  06:47:20 AM  Show Profile
Canning pickled mix-veggies this morning. It all started yesterday when my sister gave me a cauliflower and 2 jalapeno peppers. I added fresh green beans, red onion, carrots, and mini yellow, gold, & red peppers.

Tomorrow it's 4 lbs of grass fed ground beef. Found a recipe on line where you cook the ground beef in water - drain - put in jars - add boiling water - process in pressure canner. Sounds easy to me.

Then it's back to putting up dried heirloom beans.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4102 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4102 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2021 :  03:21:52 AM  Show Profile
the yellow cottage is open for business! Happy canning Sara. The only meat I have canned is chicken. We love it. An instant meal ready and waiting. Your veggie jars will be pretty too. How is the bread baking going Nicole? The kitchen smells so good when your bread is baking. Nini did you achieve soft flat bread? Sounds so good!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Current Kitchen Creations" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page