Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  7:43:42 PM  Show Profile
I hear you, Lis. I have a whole bunch of butternut, too. We also have several more pumpkins and a few spaghetti squash, still growing. We havent had any zucchini or summer squash to really speak of over the past couple of years, so I'm super happy about what God's given us this year! ;) Wonder what He is preparing us for with all the squash, tho, huh??

Think of the tea more like a lemon orange juice concentrate with some orange pulp, lemon rind and honey. I fill a mug or a glass about 1/4 to 1/3 full with the tea, then add boiling or cold water accordingly. Its super good hot when you have a cold, and super refreshing cold on a hot day. To be honest, I could eat it right out of the jar! Lol. Just want to have sone on hand now for an extra jolt of vitamin C during cold and flu season.

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 23 2020 7:45:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  4:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Nini,HollerGirl & Sara,
Sorry I didn't see your comments sooner. Thank you so much for your kind words.
I do use a food mill, the older hand crank type that sits on top of a bowl. I always hot pack but the tomatoes in their own juice are only in hot water a few minutes then into the ice water so I don't know if that really counts as hot pack. If I start something I finish it the same day. I have chopped onions and things like that the day before & put in zip bags so they don't dry out.
I have had jars seal (that wonderful pop sound) before going into the canner but I still process. I'm a bit paranoid about botulism. I remember my mom and grandma putting paraffin wax on top of jelly but that is now considered unsafe. Funny that I had a hard time finding lids and canning salt but the stores I checked did have paraffin wax!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  6:48:10 PM  Show Profile
Elderberry season is here. Been picking and my mom is steam juicing it for us. Nice to have it for juice to keep us healthy. I have tomatoes almost ready to make for salsa. That will be later this week. My refrigerator died today. Ordered one online for pick up on thursday. Slim pickings, but what ya going to do. I have 2 coolers filled and my milk jugs are in my milk cooler. (i have my own cow) so at least we can get by for a few days with all that.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  7:03:29 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I have been trying to glean as many elderberries as I can. And snipping branches to try to make starts, although I think it may be the wrong time of year for that. My problem is in the winter, I can't properly identify the bush out on the streets that I glean from. I'm thinking about spray painting the base orange? Hopefully I don't get arrested.
So jealous of you having a cow!
Although I know that is a LOT of work.
Nini, I want that recipe for your tea. My friend does bees and I get as much honey from her that she will sell me!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2020 :  10:14:19 PM  Show Profile
Andrea - I just watched a woman on YouTube last night who cooked down her tomatoes in a roaster. She drained the juice and canned it, gave the skins to the pigs and then her sauce just cooked down so well, I don't think she even ran it through a blender! I'm looking for the easiest way to do it, but more importantly, the most fail-proof! Your process looks great!!!

Michelle - I was just telling Lisa last night, I wouldn't know an elderberry in the wild if I saw it! LOL, but I sure want to try growing them next year. I was blessed enough to find some at our local berry farm over the past weekend. 'Looking forward to making and canning some syrup tomorrow! YAY! And I feel for you - my fridge went last month. It was really hard choosing a nice one that was also affordable. We hit the big box hardware store just right when there were very few people inside. I looked through every single fridge about three times. Thought my hubby was going to lose his mind, but he was very patient. I ended up getting a really nice one that had plenty of both freezer and fridge space. When it finally arrived, it felt like Christmas! I hope you love your new fridge, too! ENJOY!

Okay, Lis... Here we go:

First: I want to acknowledge that I modified a "Citron Tea" recipe by Prepsteaders on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS0tKP0O7U4 If you haven't seen this lovely girl and her videos, you simply must check them out. She is delightful and has a lot of great information. Love her!

Here's my take on it:

Take a BIG bag of organic oranges and a BIG bag of organic lemons, scrub them thoroughly and dry them.

Remove the peels and pith from the oranges (I throw that in the garden around the edges of my yard.).

Put the orange sections in a big soup pot (they fill about half of my pot), add a little filtered water and slowly boil them down until the pulp falls apart, stirring and mushing the mixture down frequently. IF it seems dry as it's cooking down, add a little more filtered water along the way until the pulp "melts" - just enough to help it along, not so much that you're making orange soup.

While that is cooking down, prepare your lemons. First remove the thick, pithy ends, then cut the lemons in half lengthwise, then run them through the slicer of a food processor (originally I was just hand slicing them very thin, but using the food processor was SO much faster). Then go through each and every slice and pick out all the seeds, making sure you save the juice. That part isn't so much fun, but it is really worth the time. I hate picking seeds out of my tea when I'm enjoying it, you know?

The ends, seeds and any little chopped part of the lemon rinds that are really small or super thick just go out into the garden.

When the orange pulp is soft and mushy in the pot, transfer all of the lemon slices and all of the juice you've collected right into the pot with the oranges. Slowly cook the mixture on medium heat, stirring frequently, until the lemon rinds are super soft.

When all that is done, I personally add a quart jar of local honey to the mix and bring to a gentle boil, simmering it until heated through, about 15 minutes. You can add as much or as little honey as you like, if any.

Transfer the mixture to washed and sterilized hot quart jars, filling to about 1/4 inch from the top. Add warmed lids and then process in a water bath for 20 minutes. Since I was unable to find a canning recipe for anything like this on line, I looked up all the ingredients and the different ways they are canned individually, used the longest water bath time, and added ten minutes for good measure. I was doing 30 minutes, but it really seems like overkill. Then again, always better safe than sorry! How long you process it is totally up to you.

Remember: this is not an officially approved canning recipe.

General Canning Rule of thumb: use the processing time that corresponds to the ingredient that requires the longest processing time.

I made this recipe this weekend and it made seven quart jars and one pint jar. So good!!

The sealed jars are shelf stable. Store opened jar in the fridge.

To make the "tea", add enough of the mixture to fill a mug or glass about 1/4 to 1/3 full (you will have to do this according to your personal taste preference), then add boiled hot water or cold water accordingly.

It's wonderful hot in the cool weather, especially when you're feeling under the weather (SUCH a vitamin C boost!), and it's also quite refreshing cold.

And yes, we eat all the "nibbly bits" that are left over when the drinking is done! ;)

We just love it! As my Grandma would say, "It's good for what ails ya!" It's just like sunshine in a jar!

And you know, this stuff is so good you could probably eat it straight out of the jar, or serve it atop vanilla ice cream or pound cake or angel food cake - YUM!

Hope that helps!

Love and hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 24 2020 10:24:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  11:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Ladies--love to hear what you can, Doing pickles and kraut today---also freezing half a bushel of wild mushrooms---busy busy. Hubby is working up at the cabin shack and I am rocking out to seventies music. Retirement do get tedious---a fun day to myself. My cousin called and we were fifteen again. LOL---picture me dancing around and freezing and canning.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  12:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Beet pickles are in the canner right now and than I need to move onto sweet pickle relish.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2020 :  5:56:44 PM  Show Profile
Lisa my husband watched a you tube video about how to propagate elderberries. You have to cut them when they are dormant, for us in Feb I think he said. Nini your tea recipe looks like it would be good for what ails you. I am going to have to give that a try. Thanks for posting it. I got a pile of tomatoes to get at sometime. Maybe tomorrow night i can get to using the squeezo on them and make sauce. Keep those jar lids poppin ladies. Have fun.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2020 :  03:00:42 AM  Show Profile
Got a pot full of tomato juice through the squeezo. Will cook it up tonight after work. Then I picked more, so my outside table is full again. Salsa will be canned this weekend.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2020 :  03:12:22 AM  Show Profile
We tried our frozen hash browns last night. They were good. Will make more. Boil or bake them till almost done. Let cool, and then grate up. Put them on trays with parchment down, and freeze. I formed them into little patties. Be sure to keep them thin 3/4" thick at the most. Then freeze. Pop into freezer bags after they are frozen. Cook them frozen. They say to thaw if using in a casserole. Changes I would make? I want to try adding some melted butter to the grated potatoes and season them too. They fell apart a little bit, but no worse then when you grate them up raw and cook. I cooked them on a electric griddle. I don't have a good cool spot to store potatoes, so I think this will be great. Next up try cooking the french fries.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2020 :  06:13:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michelle for the hash brown recipe and telling us how they turned out. Melted butter sounds good to me and maybe some herbs.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2020 :  5:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Tonight the sauce is almost done in the water bath canner. One less thing to have to do this weekend. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2020 :  8:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Can on ladies---until the tomatoes come on---I am free---have kitchen burnout as i am an outdoor person. Love to hear what you all do and glad I am not doing it---LOL.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2020 :  9:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Michele! Thank you SO much for the frozen hash brown recipe! This year we have an abundance of potatoes (thank GOD!), so I'm definitely going to try this! SO excited! Thanks again!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 29 2020 9:42:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2020 :  03:43:01 AM  Show Profile
almost 13 pints of salsa. Next up more juice and sauce. the rush is on, my table is full of tomatoes. Finally cooler weather here. 48 this morning. Got the corn stalks all cut off last night and fed to the cows. I look forward to being done with the garden work.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2020 :  05:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Michelle isn't it funny how by late August we are ready to put our gardens to bed and by January we're counting the days to spring and can't wait to get back to our gardens.

A table full of ripe tomatoes must be a sight to see. Happy canning!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2020 :  4:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Sara that is so true. I got 7 quarts of tomato juice canned up today. Next batch will be sauce I guess.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2020 :  1:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Girls - Do any of you have a really great peach salsa recipe to share? I would really appreciate it!!! It's my favorite!

Also, I saw a lady on YouTube can shredded zucchini in pineapple juice. She said she squeezes it well to use in breads and muffins, and uses the remaining juice in other baked goods. It looked wonderful, and like such a nice alternative to freezing or dehydrating... Have any of you done this? I'm really thinking I might try! The zucchini and yellow squash are STILL coming in! It's a summer squash miracle!!! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2020 :  02:23:56 AM  Show Profile
No help on the recipe request Nini. Never made peach salsa, though sounds good. My excess zucchini goes to the chickens and pigs.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2020 :  4:52:09 PM  Show Profile
We cooked up our french frys tonight. Boy are they good. I used yukon gold potatoes. Cut into fries, then blanch 5 -10 min, then cool, dry and freeze single layer. put in a bag after frozen. Fry frozen in oil, and they are great. I don't have an air fryer, so not sure how that would work.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2020 :  6:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I have made peach barbeque sauce maybe? And I think the recipe came from Sharon, Calicogirl. I know it was delish. Can you improvise?
I would do onion, pepper, maybe garlic?(not sure if that would meld well) and a jalapeno or 2 for heat. Also some lemon juice.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2020 :  7:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Michele - have you ever canned french fries before?? They are my favorite way to prepare them! They say if you parboil potatoes before frying (or oven frying them), they are much better - and they are! So to can them, you just cut them into fry cuts, pack the raw potatoes in the jars (we use pints, but quarts are great, too), add a little salt, fill the jar with water to about 1", debubble, and then process according to your pressure canner's instructions, just like you would any other potato cut. When you're ready to cook them, all you have to do is drain them (save the water for potato bread - to DIE for!), pat them dry well, then either fry in the pan, deep fry or fry in the oven. Everyone loves them! SO good!

OOOOOH! Lisa! I would LOVE that recipe! Anything I've ever tried that Sharon has shared has been perfection!!!

I've tried improvising in the past, just haven't quite gotten there yet with the peach salsa. Was really hoping someone has a tried and true. But the peach barbecue? OH MY! Can't wait to try! Thank you!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2020 :  8:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Call out to Sharon!!!
And Nini, I can't believe you can can french fries. WTH?????
BTW, I canned salsa and tomatoes. I used the Fillmore lids (labled with an F), and the Lehmans (labled with an L). They ALL sealed Hallelujah! I was so concerned that my Fillmore lid investment was all for naught.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  02:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini I joined a rebel canning group on facebook and I saw that they can french fries. Alot can with out water. Not sure on that one, but to each his own. Nice job your canning Lisa. When they all seal that is wonderful.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  05:44:04 AM  Show Profile
Nina, Oh my, now I have heard everything - can french fries - but you know I just may have to do a batch - for me that's 4 pints.

Lisa happy your lids are sealing. Always a bit scary to try new brands.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page