janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2020 :  7:25:30 PM  Show Profile
I have been busy canning pumpkin, roasted peppers, caramelized onion jam, pickled carrots, onions & jalapeno pepper mix, and dill pickles. I have also been freezing and dehydrating. It sure is a fun time of year!

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  05:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, Jana, you have been a busy girl. Last year was the first year I canned pumpkin and it sure has come in handy for chili & stews. Happy canning!

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  5:13:01 PM  Show Profile
Tomatoes, tomatoes and more tomatoes. I bought 1 bushel of tomatoes a week ago and 2 bushels this past weekend. Canned tomatoes in their own juice, stewed tomatoes, ketchup, roasted tomato soup, garden tomato juice (mostly tomatoes but also carrots, onion, celery). Also canned some pickled onions and peppers.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  8:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Andrea you have been busy. Happy canning!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2020 :  8:40:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

Andrea... You're my canning hero... Tomatoes are so much work.. But SO worth it. God bless you!!! How do you process them? Do you use a food mill or another method??? I've never used a food mill, and I enjoy my process, but I am always interested to hear how people process their goodies. Plus, with such big quantities, you must have some really great tips and tricks to share! You make so many great things with your tomatoes, too! Kudos to you, sister!

My garden is big for the small yard we have, but I rarely have a lot of tomatoes at once. That being the case, I remove the cores, freeze them whole and, when I have enough to make sauce, I'll pour boiling water over them then slip off the skins. I save the water from that because it's just so delicious. You can't call it "juice," but we drink it straight from the jar and I do like to use it when making soups. I take the rest of the tomato and cook it down "double boiler" style in a large pot inside a pot soas not to burn anything (I used to be notorious for smoke billowing out of the windows... Lol... But not any more!). Then to remove seeds, I then scrape them through a fine mesh colander. It makes a very thick, rich "sauce" to be heated for canning. I save the skins and seeds, dehydrate them, then grind them into powder (soo, so good!). Last year invested in a steam juicer. I am thinking I might try to use that instead this year, saving the juice and processing the pulp through the colander as usual, still dehydrating the skins and seeds for powder.

I just made zucchini relish yesterday. Had to run to the store twice, thought I was gonna lose my mind, but now I have jars of some of the yummiest stuff on the planet on my shelves. My mom loves it so much, she says she could eat it right out of the jar! LOL! I'm very thankful for good, fresh produce and perseverance! So worth it! Just sooo worth it!

Happy Pinging Lids, Girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2020 :  5:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Nini what do you use zucchini relish for? Or how do you use it. I love my steam juicer. Dehydrate skins and seeds??? interesting. I never did that. Today I canned up 7 pints of German Dill pickles, my husbands grandmas recipe. Hopefully they turn out well for him. Last night I did 6 pints of Pickled banana peppers. Another new canning item for me. Hi Andrea, hope all those jars pinged. Canned pumpkin, how do you do it, Jana, and Sara?

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  07:42:49 AM  Show Profile
Michelle this what I have learned about canning pumpkins. Do not puree the pumpkin because it will be thick and maynot heat all the way through in canning process.

I used pie pumpkin from the grocery store.
Cut in half & remove seeds
Place cut side down on parchment paper lined cookie sheet
Roast in 350 oven until just tender
When cool enough cut in quarters and remove peel
Cut in chunks like for sweet potatoes/white potatoes
Use non-chlorine water
Can using sweet potato/white potato canning instructions.

Your German dill pickles sound yummy. Enjoy.

Happy canning everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  08:32:48 AM  Show Profile
Michele - The zucchini relish is just like regular cucumber relish... We use it on burgers, in homemade tartar sauce, in dressings and various recipes. You can't tell that it's not cucumber at all! And this year we have so many zucchini and summer squash, this is such a blessing to be able to use them this way! And YES! TRY dehydrating the tomato skins and seeds! When ground it's a great tomato powder to use in recipes, as a thickener, etc. We love it! Whodathunkit?!

Sara - I love using my pumpkin dust, but I did can squash and pumpkin a while back and loved how easy it was to just whir it around with a stick blender to make it into puree! SO SO good!

Question... And maybe you all have already discussed this, so forgive me. I know that it's not recommended to can zucchini or summer squash. The only reason I can really find is that it is because it becomes too mushy in processing. Here's the thing: if I were to can any, it is only going into my mother-in-law's zucchini casserole recipe at the holidays. It would be mushy anyway. What do you think, should I try it or is it really super unsafe and just not worth it. I see so many of my favorite YouTube-rs doing this but that still doesn't make it safe or right. It's just my freezer is full and I have sooo many zucchini. I'm going to dehydrate some, but for my mother-in-law's recipe, I just don't really like the results of dehydrating diced zucchini. The shredded zucchini for other recipes, though, is awesome! Thank you for your insights!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  09:05:16 AM  Show Profile
Nina I don't think it's unsafe to can yellow squash or zucchini. My sister puts it up in qt jars in chunks with tomatoes & onions. (Put up is a southern term for canning.) Sometimes they do come out a little mushy but still tasty.

edited to say: I looked it up my Jackie Clay canning book. She has recipe for canning yellow squash & zucchini. She says not to use large squash or zucchini because they will be mushy.

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 16 2020 09:13:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2020 :  09:30:11 AM  Show Profile
OH! I will have to see if I can find her instructions, Sara! Thank you! I have the book, too! I think I have too MANY books, sometimes! LOL! But I will check it out! Your sister's recipe sounds delish, too! I don't mind the mushy, to be honest. It isn't like it comes out crisp when you cook them, anyway, right?! ;) LOL! Thanks so, so much, Sara... I'm going to go look that up right now! YAY!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2020 :  03:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara for that pumpkin canning recipe. I will have to give that a try sometime. Nini, I would say can away on the zucchini. Pick them when small.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  05:59:58 AM  Show Profile
I have the pressure canner going this morning. Canning baby potatoes from the garden and hope to get a batch of carrots canned too.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2020 :  06:14:10 AM  Show Profile
Michelle home canned garden fresh baby potatoes is one of my favorite things. Will have to put it on my list for cooler weather. My potatoes won't be garden fresh but will be small potatoes from the grocery store. Happy canning!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  03:11:45 AM  Show Profile
Sara is sure is nice to have canned stuff for a quick meal. 7 pints of potatoes, and 7 pints of carrots and 4 quarts of tomato juice. Dehydrating another batch of onions, and froze 3 quart bags of onions. I am trying making hash browns and french fries, and freezing them. I will see how they turn out. Got one more batch of onions to do up yet. I have found a few that the bottoms are rotting, so better get them done. I picked the last of the corn and gave to my mom to freeze.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  07:46:42 AM  Show Profile
More pickles---they are coming out my ears. Never had so many---just always got a few. Well---I always wondered why anyone would can potatoes---now i see---baby ones---but oh dear ladies---I am far too lazy to ever do that. This holler old woman is old and slowed down for sure.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  07:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Andrea---do you cold pack or hot pack---I do cold pack---and always have one that don't seal. I remember my mom just boiled them up and put them straight in the jars and they always kept. All older people did that. Do any of you??? Very easy---but maybe unsafe.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  08:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Michelle I'm interested in how your hash browns turn out - let us know.

Been thinking about how many pie pumpkins I want to put up - 4 or 6.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Sara---do you grow your pumpkins---we do and winter squash too. We mostly store it and eat it through the winter. I do freeze for pies and cakes. My mother canned it but too hard for me. How do you put yours up?

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  08:32:19 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, I'll get mine from the grocery store or fruit stand.

Cut in half & remove seeds
Place cut side down on parchment paper lined cookie sheet
Roast in 350 oven until just tender
When cool enough cut in quarters and remove peel
Cut in chunks like for sweet potatoes/white potatoes
Use non-chlorine water
Can using sweet potato/white potato canning instructions.

I use it in chili and stew. For Apple Pie Sunday I'm thinking about doing a apple/pumpkin pie using my last pint of pumpkin. Found the recipe in a vintage cookbook.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  08:37:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank-you---we always boiled ours and it is a steamy mess. I have heard of baking but was set in my ways. Hillbillies die hard for sure---will try baking but will still freeze---I hate my pressure canner---I know you use electric. I will definitely bake my pumpkins this fall. Thanks for a good tip.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  09:04:57 AM  Show Profile
My pressure canner goes on a hot plate. My water canner is electric. Won't be long and it will be cool enough for me to start canning in my Yellow Rose Cottage.

So far on my list to can:
broths - chicken, mushroom, hambone, beef, vegetable
dried beans
pumpkin
small potatoes

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  11:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Sara, your canning list makes me yearn for fall.
In the meantime I am doing 30 lbs Amish Paste tomatoes (I do these whole), and 30 lbs heirloom, I will likely do these as more of a puree, so SWEET!
Nini, I may try dehydrating the seeds/skin, but right now the amount isn't much.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  12:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Lisa that's a lot of tomatoes. Happy canning! I'm ready for fall too.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  5:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Michele- you are amazing! I'm happy if I get ONE thing done in a day! That is a TON of work! Someone ought to make you a good dinner!!!

Barbara - What kind of pickles did you make??? How was your squash growing this year? We got a ton! Im going to be canning some and dehyrating some to turninto powder! Yum! We can a lot of potaotoes... French fry cuts, big chucks and the wee ones for roasting. I just wish there was a good way to mash em!!!

Sara, Im with Lisa... Your list is making me long for brisk air and falling leaves!
Bring on fall!

Go, Lisa, go! You're my tomato hero!! I froze a lot of tomatoes to process later when its cooler out.

Right now Im working on a citrus tea with oranges, lemons and honey. SO good! I started so late today... But I had more zucchini and summer squash than possibly even God has. All that had to be processed and frozen first. I still have some smaller ones left to try canning, but that has to wait til tomorrow... I am pooped, and my doggies are BARKING! Lol.

Have fun, everyone!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2020 :  6:03:55 PM  Show Profile
So weird Nini! I am getting a boatload of butternut and acorn, but my zucchini is like, blah.
I am getting a TON of the desi squash, which was in the collection Jim bought me for Christmas from Bakers Creek.
It is a summer squash, round like a baseball, and the skin is hard like a winter squash. We have had them breaded and fried several times. Really good squash taste, kind of in between a winter and summer squash Very prolific. Will definitely plant again.
Your tea sounds good! For hot tea or iced? I just CANNOT get with hot tea. I've tried and tried, but it just reminds me of being sick when I was a kid and that was what mom gave us. I know, I am pathetic..

Edited by - nubidane on Aug 23 2020 6:05:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page