Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Neurologist for my dad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Neurologist for my dad Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  8:37:06 PM  Show Profile
My dad has alzheimer's and my parents had an appt. today to see a neurologist at the hospital where I work. I have a friend who works in administration and she told me the dr.'s office would accept my parents' insurance. But when they got there, they were told told that since the dr. is new to this area, he's still trying to get approved by some of the various health plans, including theirs. So now they have to wait until their insurance is approved. This upsets me, since there aren't a whole lot of neurologists to choose from (that my mom is willing to drive the distance to see). My dad needs someone NOW who understands this disease. Please pray that their insurance is approved soon. I'm going to go to that office tomorrow and see if I can't get the ball rolling (I know who to talk to who could help the most). My dad wakes up in the middle of the night and thinks that people are breaking into the house. He recently didn't recognize my mom during one of these episodes. During the day he seems OK. I've heard of "Sundowner's syndrome" and have told my mom to try and not let my dad sleep so much during the day so he'll sleep better at night. This is stressing me out, to say the least. My dr. prescribed Ativan to help ME sleep cause I'm stressed. I also have to keep my brothers informed of what's going on since they all live in different states. (Though one is less than an hour away). I just know a neurologist knows a lot more about Alzheimer's than the dr. my parents are currently seeing.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  06:11:53 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry to hear you are all going through this. it is a hard one for sure. sending you hugs love and a prayer.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  11:57:01 AM  Show Profile
My mom is in the final stages of Altzheimer's so can relate to what is happening. If you go on the internet and type in Altzheimers there may be support groups in your area that can give some information and guidance. Also, there is an Alzheimer's foundatin of America (they have a website) that can also give you a lot of information on what is happening and different stages. It will also give you information for the caregiver (your mom) and what she can do to make the disease easier to manager both for her and your father. The one very important piece of advice to do immediately is to make sure all there legal and financial affairs are in order (if they haven't already done this) because as the disease progresses it is extremely difficult to sort out. Not sure what your parent's situation is but you need to make sure your mom can make legal and financial decisions without your dad's signature because at some point the legal/banking system will say he is not aware enough to legally sign anything. Take care.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  10:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Prariehawk,

Try not to take Ativan. It is a benzodiazepine and may be addictive. It will not work as well once the body becomes used to it. It is a very dangerous drug. Take it only when necessary.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  10:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Marie--thank you for your concern. I'm only taking it on an "as needed" basis. I really don't like the way it makes me feel, but I had gone for three nights with only a few hours sleep each night, so I needed something. If I can't sleep, I can't work. I'm doing better now, I just don't handle stress very well. I was too sick to work on Wednesday--had a fever and just felt run down--but I worked Thursday and had an asthma attack, the first one I've had in a long time. I guess it was due to stress. I'll be very careful with taking the Ativan, as I don't want to become dependent on it. thanks!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Neurologist for my dad Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page