doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  09:11:07 AM  Show Profile
good morning girlfriends. Imagine how surprised Ed is going to be when I tell him how many friends I have invited to go with us! He will wonder why my luggage is so heavy! With strange bumps and curves and wiggles everywhere--you will have to be very quiet and still while we go through security. Oh, wow, nancy, a yellow polka dot bikini--now that does make me jealous! You are going to have to let us take turns borrowing it or you will have an unfair advantage with the pool boys. Actually the sight of me in a bikini of any sort would scare off every pool boy within a 100 mile radius.

Ginny it is always great to hear from you--I love this thread because even though we all have serious problems which we fee safe to share, we also know how to laugh and have fun, that's what makes up a life and its what makes us all so close to each other. A good laugh relieves a lot of that pressure, so we don't dwell too long in those sad places that we all have. Holly I know you love your son and this is hurting you. It's a conflicting feeling to love someone but want to kill them at the same time. Penny I am relieved to know you are better - I knew you had hurt your ankle but did not realize how serious it was - actually this could work to your advantage - no way can you stand on your feet and make all that food that is needed for holidays. Gives you more time to sit and enjoy your time with your son. silver lining.

I guess I was very lucky that I had no drug or related issues with my two children. My ex had a son who got into it and it took 3 years in prison to break him of that. I understand now that he is a well adjusted responsible member of society. So getting caught is usually a good thing. Darlys, your son's answer to the judge was classic--I wondered if the judge laughed. I'll bet he at least smiled.
Yes that freeze that got my tomatoes inside the greenhouse was down in the teens, some years it does not get that cold and certainly not this early. The one night I didn't watch the weather report. The other plants survived but the tomatoes and the jalapeno peppers died--they like the really hot hot summers we have and do not tolerate cold as well as other plants. I have a large strawberry plant on my porch and I just threw a towel over it and it survived just fine. I don't know much about strawberries as this is my first try with them, but I know the ones you buy are laden with chemicals unless they are organic.

Have a wonderful day everybody.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Jan 24 2012 1:19:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  11:14:25 AM  Show Profile
So I always say - I'm only going online for a minute! Here I am ... but only for a minute more... I just read all the posts - some for the second time - starting with Judy's suggestion that we all share something happy that we remembered about Christmas from our childhoods.

Glenda, my father was also an alcoholic and I breezed past that ... as you may have noticed, I started with Christmas morning. And that was "a good thing."

I truly don't have much time just now -- but wanted to let you all know that I got an e-mail from Patty. She has been having a very stressful time on a number of fronts but Jake is recovering nicely. He will need another operation on his leg. One of her best friends is in the hospital and it was a very tough emergency situation. Her friend is now stable, I believe. It's best that Patty share the story when she gets back. And she will be back, hopefully soon. Please keep her and her loved ones in your prayers for all their needs at this time.

Nancy - PLEASE bring your uke! I'm jealous. Yellow Polka Dot Bikini! Remember those old-time swimsuits that covered you throat to ankle? That's what I should wear!

I saw that Opera pic of you, Glenda. With a figure like that you could put those movie stars in the swimming extravaganzas to shame. Notice I didn't name a star or a movie? I can't remember. Oh well.

Glenda - I'm almost a year older than you (nanner, nanner) - and if I don't have more UFOs (I have a LOT), it's only because I sent them to my sister. Let her worry about what to do with them. Wish I had some of the embroidery thread back though.

I have many more comments - I really do have something to say to each of you ... but it will have to wait. I actually do have to get some stuff done as we are going to Oakhurst tonight. I may have some time to get together with you again this weekend. Trying to go a day without you is like - well ... "Hi, my name is Darlys and I am an over-50's farmgirl forum addict."

Candy Canes, Sugar Plums, Egg Nog and Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Dec 09 2011 11:17:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  11:25:13 AM  Show Profile
One more thing ...

My dearhearts -- if you are NOT on the birthday list that has been published by Penny .... please - please - please e-mail me your address.

tippie@sti.net

I still like to send Christmas cards. It's just something I do.

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  2:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Darlys You are already in my prayers. I will add the surgery.
At least you have to read to gain the pounds. I just have to walk down the junk food row at the store and the pounds just leap off the shelf and attach to my hips!
I had to laugh and then cry at the Groundhog Day movie bit. There is no way I would want to do that surgery over and over and well you get the idea.

Ah Ha It is Iowa that has stolen my snow!! Thanks for the heads up Darlys! But shovel, no, bulldozer with a big bucket!! LOL

Penny Keep that foot up. I am praying for your ankel. I will add your DH to my prayers. I do hope you are up and around soon. I miss hearing from you.
We all miss hearing from you!

Glenda UFO are a family tradition. I inherited some from my gma when she passed away.!
To be honest I didn't figure out DH was dear husband until some one used DD to refer to thier daughter. And I still can't figure some of the short hand out either.
I asked my DD and she said to check it out on urbandictionary.com Sometimes what it says I know you guys are not saying LOL

Ginny I had to laugh at the flavor of you lip balm. Mine is Pina Calada

I am so ready for the sun and warm wearther. If I can not have snow then I want warm. This cold is terrible. 11 degrees this morning and even with the sun it is only 20!

I hope all of you have a great weekend. I am off to hunt for Christmas trees with the fammily. Well 4 of the 6 kids are going, plus spouese or significant others, and gkids.
That is probably my happiest memory of Christmas. My older brother would gather us together and off we would go through the snow to find a tree.
My dad could never wait for Christmas morning so we always opened everything on Christmas eve. Christmas was kind of a let down, because there was nothing to look forward to.
I make my family wait!LOL

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  5:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Are there jellyfish where we are going? My father and his wife had a house in the Bahamas for a while and he said if you stepped on a jellyfish and it stung you the best remedy was to pee on your foot. I would guess with our advancing joints that might be harder to do than twenty years ago. Who is going to bring the beach toys. Do they supply them at the resort? Maybe we could have a kazoo parade at happy hour to drive all of the other patrons bonkers while they are trying to get a buzz. lol

My children ask if we are rich. I tell them yes we are we have a roof over our head, food on the table and people who love us. What else is important? They have given up asking that question.

Some of the family went to a cut your own Christmas tree farm and marked the tree a few weeks back. We will cut it closer to the holiday. At our house we put it up on the eve because when it is up Santa comes that night. Our special needs foster daughters love the holiday and we have rituals that we must do for it to be done right.

Talie who is 14 wanted to go to the middle school dance tonight. He is very disorganized. The agreement was that all of his school work would be done in order to go. He did not get it all done or he had to do some of it over because he read the directions wrong. He did not get to go. He slammed around for a while whining about how unfair his life is. Sometimes it is very hard to be consistent and stick to the rules. I have bent the rules so he could go to basketball practice. The team counts on him and he is on the A team so it is important for him to go. If he procrastinates too much he will miss practice but that is something I try to avoid.

I need all of you out west to try to delay the rain that is supposed to hit us this next Friday. Maybe you could send up some frosty air so it will freeze our ground. The pigs will be slaughtered on Friday and the job will be so much cleaner if the ground is not so mucky. The mud in the pen is now boot sucking above ankle mud.

When I open to this board I see that Anne started this thread. Where is she?

I had a yellow bikini when I taught swimming when I was 17 or 18. I of course did not swim in that little bit of cloth. I had a tank suit for that. When I lifeguarded in college i wore a suit that a friend of my mother's wore when she went to college. I thought it was pretty funny but the boys I guarded with did not.

Sweet dreams

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  7:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Dianne, my mom gave me blocks for a quilt started by my grandmother, worked on by my mother, then to me to finish. that was 3 years ago. So I guess it runs in my family too. Maybe I will finish it in January, which is usually a cold dreary month.

Holly, parenting is a tough job these days regardless of circumstances, and with your special kids, I honestly don't know how you do it but thank God there are people like you in the world.
I too have wondered where the ladies go who stop posting.
If you get stung by a jellyfish I always heard you are supposed to sprinkle meat tenderizer on it. I always took a bottle of it to the beach but have never needed it. It is interesting how many things human urine is used for. I wonder who thought of it first, don't you? We have a fire ant problem here and they say urine will kill them, I ask, who figured that out? We are supposed to get rain tomorrow. The weather here runs the gamut so the plants don't know when to come out. This afternoon was nice and sunny in the 50's so I went for a walk around my place and to my surprise there are tiny bluebonnet plants everywhere. Last year there were none. Maybe we will have wildflowers this spring. I was thinking about the beautiful spring flowers I have had over the years and it ocurred to me that I could print my pictures on card stock and have semi-homemade b-day cards, so I printed some tonight and they came out pretty. Most of them I took in 2007, a rare year of perfect rainfall. So, spring flowers for December birthdays.

My brother got his feeding tube in yesterday and they are going to put the stint in on Wed for the chemo. They were going to wait a month before starting the chemo but dr said the tumor was very large and was "only through God's mercy" that he was able to get the scope down his throat to see where to put the feeding tube. So they don't have time to wait. My mom has a shadow on her pancreas picked up on an xray she found out today. when it rains it pours. I told her I would not go to Mexico and would go to her house to help out but she said no. I don't know what to do. She will have additional tests done on Monday.
Good nite all.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  03:05:32 AM  Show Profile
glenda--prayers for your mom and brother. i pray that x ray image is some kind of artifact and will turn out to be nothing. and i pray that the chemo will go very well and your brother will tolerate it beautifully and the result will be positive beyond everyone's expectations. i also pray that you will have the strength and perspective to navigate your way through all this stress. chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  05:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Glenda, I am praying for your mom and your brother. I pray that the Lord with give you strength and comfort through all this stress. Hopefully the chemo will go well for your brother. I am hoping, too, that there will be a positive outcome for him.

The flower prints sound really pretty and I think they will make lovely cards for the December birthdays.

Nancy

B
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  07:12:29 AM  Show Profile
Thank you sweet friends. You have no idea how much your encouraging words and prayers mean to me.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  07:33:55 AM  Show Profile
Glenda sending prayers your way for your mom and brother, and you! Pray that the chemo will do its work and your brother has a successful recovery. It's a very difficult time, but remember we are all here for you. Ladies I've not been here for several days, had the flu, and I don't remember being this sick for ages. Doing much better, but have so much to catch up on here. Will take time reading through it all and post back later. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  09:23:45 AM  Show Profile
Glenda ... I am praying for all of you as God protects you. Praying for your brother - that the chemo is successful, not too hard on him and that his quality of life will improve dramatically as he heals. I'm praying for your mother that the tests will prove the shadow is benign and that she will be fine. This is rough and stressful. I am praying for you, love, that through all this, God will give you the strength you need, clarity of thought and peace with your decisions. Your sisters here are circling the wagons and the prayers are strong and loud.

Holly ... you are a kick! Thanks for the ruckus. It'll certainly keep things lively. (Send that rain our way. We need it.)

Oh, and Glenda, I love the flower card project.

I heard ammonia does the work of pee. p-U!

Dianne - I was hoping for snow here, too. We got frost. There's room for 2 on that bulldozer seat, gf. Move over!

We are in Oakhurst. It was freezing (30 degrees) when we arrived last night. Got down to 24. I still have to get the fall stuff I boxed up last trip down to the basement and the Christmas stuff up. I brought all the packages of socks I bought yesterday along to wrap. How can ANYONE spend over $200 on SOCKS! It's not the money - it's that it was just socks! And THAT was at TJ Maxx! Well, they will cover 14 pairs of tootsies -- so I guess there is comfort there. It would have been a lot more at Macy's. I do, however, feel good knowing I did get that squared away ... now on to the wrapping.

My mother taught sewing at the Singer store. She made all our clothes. I remember dreaming of getting something "store-bought." But she wasn't a quilter. Occasionally, she would do something crafty - but I just can't remember what. She was talented. I won prize after prize for the best costume at the community center at halloween. And the costumes were always made from something else. Not fabric off the shelf. One costume was Little Bo Peep. It was made from some curtains that were going to be thrown away. Inspiration from Gone with the Wind or Sound of Music? Perhaps.

Have a lovely Saturday everyone.

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  11:14:06 AM  Show Profile
I really enjoy the "Banter" you gals throw back&forth. Quite entertaining!
Glenda, I'm so glad that your Brother is getting the help he needs. I know that God can use all of this to His good! I will Pray that way! I seem to have missed the post about your Mother. Could you give me a quick note on what's going on there,please!
Well....I'm trying to and get my mind wrapped around the idea of baking today... while I'm doing laundry. I got all my cards out and the house decorated, but baking......*sucks in air*.....gotta be in a special mood to make LOTS of cookies. After all this isn't just the one small item for Hubby&Me! hmmmm......THIS calls for the BIG guns!....."Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree type music....maybe even Mama's Special Eggnog!! hahahahaha....er....uh....hohohohoho

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  4:36:26 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I have a friend who likes me to say Good evening to her when she calls regardless of the time of day because she says I sound like Lurch and it makes her giggle.

My mother made all of my clothes as well. It was easier than trying to find something long enough at the store. I never complained. When I was in Junior High School there was a girl who I thought was snooty. her parents owned a women and girl's clothing store in a neighboring town. She always had the nicest skirts and sweaters. When we were in ninth grade she sat next to me in French class. One day she told me she was jealous because my mother made all my clothes. I was so surprised. She was not really snooty at all.

Cancer is such a nasty disease. I hope that all of the people mentioned on here who are living with these nasty mutations come out on the other side of the treatment with no pain and good health. Glenda,years ago a friend's partner was in the last stages of a twelve year battle with breast and then metastisized ovarian cancer. She encouraged my friend to go with me to their summer cottage for a weekend so she would have a chance to be less stressed for a short while knowing that very soon the stress would be all too consuming. Maybe the trip to Mexico would be that brief calm before the storm for you.

Two of our sons have gone to the winter ball tonight. It is a fund raiser for project graduation for a neighboring high school. They looked quite dapper in their suits. but don't look at their feet because they both wore their dark basketball sneakers. One of them does own a nice pair of dress shoes since he has stopped growing.

I understand about having to psych one's self up to make cookies, cookies and more cookies. In our house they take far more time to make than it takes for the children to eat them.

You all who have your cards out already deserve medals.

Today was cold and cloudy all day. The ground is firming up nicely. The pigs do not like walking on the crunchy ground.

I went to the Solidarity Fair at the UU church this morning. It was a fund raiser for Project Hope a group that has funded a library, a mobile library and some sort of educational program in Nicaragua. People from the US can go down and teach classes for some months or a year if they want. It is a crash course in Spanish and culture.

We had pork roast and mashed potatoes with gravy for supper. Still trying to empty the pork freezer for this year's carcasses.

I am glad this is not hurricane season in Mexico. While I am a good swimmer I do not want to get swept away while taking pictures of the underwater flora and fauna.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  4:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I have been through the last few pages looking for the link to the resort. Glenda could you post it again please? or tell me where to find it.

hugs good night.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  7:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Good evening... I am sorry I have been MIA, but have had such a full plate. I have had kids, and GK's home. The last left today. So the house is finally quiet... but very disorganized. Jake is still healing and looking toward another surgery. One of my dear friends was diagnosed with kidney cancer. She had a growth on her kidney larger than the kidney. They decided to remove the kidney and said the surgery would be a simple procedure and the other kidney should take over. No chemo or radiation as the cancer was isolated. When the dr pulled the kidney, it pulled an artery from the heart and my friend Rhonda "bled out". She lost most all her blood and had no pulse. The staff in the OR called her husband in the waiting room to tell him the dr was coming up to talk with him. Before he could sit back down, the dr called and said "I don't have the time to come up there. You have 20 seconds to decide if you want to override your wife's "No Blood products" request, if not than we will put down time as death as right now, as she has no pulse and is legally dead". Rhonda is Jehovah's Witness. Her husband ask the drs' to do what they could to keep her alive. She was on life support for several days. Her hemoglobin levels came up and her surviving kidney kicked into action. She should make a full recovery. I thank God that he intervened and the decision was made to give her blood.
Last night, I went with 3 friends to the home of another friend for our "Farmgirl Sisterhood" meeting. It was a wonderful evening with a cookie exchange. Last month when our group got together the hostess had someone come in and teach us the new CPR and another person to talk with us about fire safety in our homes. It was over an hour drive to the home of the friend hosting last nights gathering. On the way back, we commented on the full moon and our discussion drifted to one about those loved ones we had lost way too early in life. The 4 of us traveling have been friends since childhood, being raised in the same small community. Our parents were class mates. We know each other's families. I had taken the ramp to get on hwy 255 near Collinsville, Il. As we drove around the ramp I noticed a car in the grass and a body next to the road. I pulled over and started repeating "someone call 911, someone call 911". It took 3 tries to get 911 typed into a phone and I gave a report to the operator and explained where we were. My friend Loretta administered CPR. It was a horrible situation. No one else stopped to help and it took at least 10-15 minutes for first responders to arrive. There was a booster seat in the back seat but we could find no one else involved. The news paper stated that the 55 year old victim was not wearing a seat belt and that she was ejected from the car and died from severe head injuries. This is not something that the 4 of us will soon forget. Believe me, I will be the one that will nag and nag about wearing a seat belt. So please wear your seal belt. Not because the law tells you to, but because your loved ones will be the ones to suffer if you do not. I lost a brother in a traffic accident 7 years ago because he was not wearing a seat belt. I thought of my son Jake laying on the road after his motorcycle accident several weeks ago as I watched my friend administer CPR last night. Please, when you say your prayers tonight remember this family that lost their loved one last night. And please pray for my 3 friends and I as we deal with this experience in each our own way.

http://www.bnd.com/2011/12/10/1974408/cahokia-woman-killed-in-fatal.html

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  7:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all...my son made it in from MI, haven't been able to spend alot of time with him out by the bonfire...to cold for me and my foot....but did sit with him and some of his friends today....he has had alot of friends come to visit last night and tonight...he has one couple that came today and are spending the night...love those kids, have watched them both grow up....so all in all there has been 8 people here to visit him...3 staying the weekend..others come and go...lol..

Glenda, prayers for your Mom and brother..

Prayers for all that need it....my foot is healing slowly....love my bed but man tired of being in it....but when my foot isn't elevated it really hurts...so back to the bed and foot up again.

I miss all of you so much...hope to be back soon...right now can't sit here long...but that will change soon I'm sure...good thing is one of the visitors is a ortho nurse at a hospital so she looked at foot...told me it looks like it is healing but to keep it elevated and wrapped....night all, I'm off to the bed again.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  9:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Holly -I have a kazoo and can probably have another 30 loaned to me. This is for real now - Friends of mine years ago started Maine Blackfly Breeder's Association and when we have a float in local parades, we all have kazoo's. We also have red stickers, wings, and run through the crowds and put the stickers in places a Blackfly might bite! Check out the website www.maineblackfly.org It probably isn't updated but I started it and then someone else was going to take over and it just sort of fell by the wayside.

Also, you described all this mud perfectly! I am so sick of rain and it poured here again last night. I'm guessing we are about 8 hours from each other Holly.

Nancy - We also have a Ukelele Club in our town. They play for just about anything and for free or for meals if it's a fundraiser or pot luck. There is about 30 people in it. It's a great time when they are around!

Glenda - I am so sorry to hear about your Mom now too! Like everyone else I will say a special prayer for all of you. You should check out this website http://www.kanziuscancerresearch.com/ It's not FDA approved yet but a lot of research people are hoping they can start human trials. It's a very interesting solution to Cancer if they find it works.

Also, like you my daughter turned out great! I always say I couldn't have asked for a better kid, no tats, no funny colored hair, no wierd piercings, went to college, and has a good job. Always told us what she was doing, even if it was smoking, drinking, or drugs. I think for that reason she didn't pursue those vices. What more could a Mother want.

A couple of years ago my Mother gave me a large quilt top she and my grandmother had both worked on along with a box of squares they had already cut but not used yet. Since I'm not a quilter the next best thing I could think of was to have five baby quilts made and one lap blanket for Mom. She received it that Christmas and loves it. When she opened it she said "Oh, you remembered me too" which I thought was hilarious since she gave it to me! The five baby quilts go to one child of each of the grandchildren so they are in essense getting a quilt made by their great-great grandmother. My daughter and my cousins son are the last two who haven't gotten one yet since they don't have children so I have tucked away their's until they do.

I took off yesterday and got the house decorated, most of the presents wrapped, and today we got the tree up and decorated so I think I'm about ready for this holiday. Need to pack and ship 4 orders on Monday, but I finaly feel calm which I am so glad to have found! Now I can sit back and do fun things!

Good Evening Ladies! (No, I don't think I sound like Lurch, lol!)

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  04:11:49 AM  Show Profile
patty--what an incredible and terrible thing for you and your friends. thank you for stopping to help this person. the world needs more of that.
whenever i pass an accident scene or hear a siren, i try to send a quick prayer out for the person who is having trouble. i have a friend who is catholic and i always see her cross herself when she hears a siren. her husband is a police officer, so i think she prays for the responders as well as the victims.
ginny--i love seeing your harvey quotes. i know you are the bunny lady--so it should be a favorite movie. it is DH's and my fave movie of all time. our favorite line is "...and how are you mr wilson????? who in the encyclopedia wants to know?????" when my DH bought a car several years ago, we had a license plate made that said "and how are you, mr wilson?" on it. i doubt that many people understood it. but that was part of the fun. your blackflies on parade gig sounds so hilarious.
done with cookie baking here--my cookie karma was really off--normally i love baking, but this year stuff didn't turn out very well and i just couldn't really get into it. too much goin' on i guess.
have a great day, everyone! chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  05:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Busted!!! We know who you are! Hahaha

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  05:52:03 AM  Show Profile
Isn't this pretty? I received this in the mail on Saturday. What a surprise for my anniversary. My little Snuggles had to get in on the action. She loves to get her picture taken.

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

Judith-CA-1955
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Judith
colton c
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  11:09:58 AM  Show Profile
Happy Sunday All....

I would love to keep up with all by posting when other's post however; by the time I get time to get here I have so many posts to read then, by the time I finish doing that other demands take me away. I do want everyone to know that I really enjoy hearing all the adventures they are doing along with sharing the sad things their family or friends are going through. My prayers go out to all who are suffering and to say they are truly blessed to have women like all of you in their lives to support them through their hard times.

You know I was never one of those women who thought they could do it all...Work, Family and Home! Plus, still try to enjoy the things I love. I am bless to have a job that I enjoy, that also has a great medical and retirement plan and at my age; 56 I need those things. However; my life is so full right now that even things I enjoy has been overwhelming for me. I mentioned that I am raising my only grandchild since he was 2 mths old he is now 21 mths old because both his parents are disabled and unable to care for him. He is a ward of the state (Foster Child) and if anyone who has ever been involved with Social Services it brings on a whole lot of demands without much help from them. We are in the middle of adopting him which adds more demands from Social Services on a very short time line. We just finished the Home Study within 9 days which by the way was the time line I was given if I didn't want to delay the adoption for another year. I did it but not without having a melt down...I had to take off more work time, which means I loose money plus during this time my grandson had his second assessment for delays so I had to coordinate several meetings along with completing my deadline with our home study. I pulled it off but I ended up getting sick maybe from being run down.

I am way behind with my Christmas shopping and shipping off any gifts. Like many of you here I love to be creative this time of the year but it just not going to happen. I love going to Etsy and get inspired by all the creative people who sell things there. I have bought several gifts for family members there and other places that are "Made in America" to do my part for our Country. I would love to have time to create and sell there; just pray that my life will slow down enough for me to do that.

Well, it is Sunday; I need to run out to buy some Christmas gifts because this week is just as or busier for me. We have the court hearing where they take the parental rights away and then set the first adoption date I just pray there is no more delays.

Several weeks ago I did plant some winter veggie plants and seeds so I look forward to watching them grow and to provide them for our family meals. My Hens are getting to the egg laying age and I keep looking in their coop for any signs of eggs however; it's hasn't happen, yet.

One of these days I will post my Sustainable Backyard Project photos. My goal is to feed my family 80% of required nutritional needs with our fruit, avocado, berry bushes, grape and kiwi vines along with the veggies and eggs from our hens. I am looking for a large nut tree to add to our yard to complete my tree collection.

Happy Holidays All....

Judi
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  11:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Good morning friends. I am using Notepad so I can go back and go through all the recent posts as I have some time this
morning. I wonder at this point in life, does anybody NOT have a bad back? I am fighting my doggies for control of the heat pad, it is cold and wet outside, so we are going to snuggle on the couch this morning. With a second cup of coffee and this computer has replaced tv for entertainment, although I did stay up until after 1:00 a.m. to watch a Christmas movie last night.

Thank you again for all your prayers and concerns for my mom and my brother John David. Funny we grew up using both names, not the nicknames everybody gets. He is Johnny to most all his friends but John David to me. I have to use both names. May be a southern thing. Your prayers worked, I know, because this message came through to me out of the blue yesterday and I immediately emailed it to my mom, she has also been afraid he would take his own life. "He is a fighter, he has always been a fighter, no way is he going to take the easy way out, forget about that. He will NOT give up without a fight". I don't know if any of you have experienced this messaging, but I have, and I know where it comes from. It suddenly appears and you know it is real and you know you didn't think of it yourself because your thoughts were not even going in that direction.

Holly, the resort is a chain called the Riu, but the one we are staying at is called Hotel Riu Palace in Playa del Carmen. They
have posted some nice pictures at the site. Ed's wife died of ovarian cancer 10 years ago and this is what they do for Christmas rather than the usual tradition. I'm sure it started as a way to celebrate in a different way after she was gone and the memories still painful. He treats his 4 children and their familes or their guests and I am his guest. It is nice and I
look forward to it except that they are a family of intellectuals who speak fluent Spanish, French, Italian, have high degrees, one is a college professor, one is a Dr. of music and opera singer, then there's me....no degree...no foreign language...mostly
interested in arts and crafts, no world events. go figure.

Holly, I hope the I-Cool works for you. It is expensive but worth it to me. I also found when I take my synthroid correctly, that is,first thing on empty stomach with full glass of water, I have fewer sweats. Sometimes the night sweats are caused by thyroid issues which everybody seems to get sooner or later.

Darlys and Holly I also got Nancy Drew and Bobbsy Twins books as a child. Also, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm was my favorite. I
wish I still had those books.
Holly, there are coconut palms in Mexico and the groundskeepers go around cutting them so they don't fall on anyone's head. My son in Hawaii has learned how to shimmy up those trees like a monkey and cut them down. Actually if we went to Hawaii to the black sand beach down near Hilo there we wouldn't need those bikinis at all, as it is a nude beach. My kids didn't warn me ahead of time when they first took me there and I just couldn't believe neighbors could stand around stark naked chatting like they would at the grocery store. I can say there is a reason God gave us clothes to wear, we are mostly ugly without them, haha. Sad but true. By the way we wore our swimsuits.
I have enjoyed all the Christmas stories. Someone said "Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories". Aren't we glad for sweet memories, they are really the treasures, not material things. I think Dr. Seuss said "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".
Janie, so glad you like the resort - glad you are going along - we had so much fun in Maui with Darlys that we just had to try
again. I am not as funny or as entertaining but I'll do my best. I guess I will know by mid week if I need to go to Houston or get on the plane for Playa.
Nancy, I enjoyed your cat story. I have a cat who showed up not long ago and I have been feeding it, a couple of days ago it
proudly presented me with a large rat. Now I am wondering if that is what I am hearing in the attic since we've blocked the big critters out I am hearing small rustling sounds. And the ringtails are on the roof every night trying to get in.

I am not going to get Christmas cards out but I am making progress on the birthday cards. I've thought about trying some of the
barters and exchanges but I'm afraid I would not keep up.

Holly I am trying to keep the rain here for you. I need it and sounds like you don't.
Judy, my mom recovered from colon cancer about 4 years ago, but there is some sort of blood test they give to see if there is
cancer in your body - there is a number associated with it and her number is always too high but they have not found cancer
anywhere. I don't know for sure what that test is or I would ask my doctor to do it routinely. Anyway, she is having pain in her colon and went in for xrays and that's when they saw the shadow on her pancreas, so now we have to wait and see. Mom has
difficulty expressing herself verbally, ( I don't know if anybody remembers the TV show Bewitched, but my mom is Samantha's ditsy aunt Clara who could never get her words out)she can never remember the words the doctor used, and it is a real challenge to get information out of her, but she still drives and keeps house and takes care of great grandchildren ( my sister's grandchildren).

My sister and her daughter turned out bad. Mom is trying to save the little ones but the oldest has already dropped out of school and into all kinds of things. She needs to get caught and spend some time in the slammer, maybe that would save her.

Patty, I was so glad to see you back, but omg have you been through it!!!! I clicked on the link and read the story. You hear
about those kinds of things but never expect to be involved. I know the trauma for you and your friends will take some time to
recover from - try to find solace in knowing you did the right thing. how shocking that nobody else stopped to help. Merry
Christmas to them, too. They are probably the same ones who beat each other up to get to the goodies on black friday.
And your friend who survived the surgery, there is a Christmas miracle - prayers to all of you. There once again is this strange world in which we live - life and death - miracles and loss- sorrow and joy - that's life, isn't it. All part of the human experience.

Penny, thanks for your prayers - and you have mine as well. Hang in there and take care of that ankle. I looked at your blog and I want to try to start blogging soon if I can figure it out. Maybe that way you girls won't be subjected to my novels on here any more. I have a lot of pictures I would love to post but I want to figure out how to watermark them first so they won't be copied. I have already seen one of my photos on Pinterest and I did not send it. Also, I went to an artist show in Austin, a competition for original art, any medium, and there was one digital piece I recognized from Pinterest. Represented by someone else as their own. That's pretty pathetic.
Ginny, I'm down to your post. What is a kazoo? And thanks so much for that link on cancer treatment/research. It seems to me
with all the progress made in lazer treatments that we shouldn't be too far away from being able to perfect this. The problem is we are so much better at treating cancer than we have ever been, but we don't seem to be figuring out how to prevent it. I have eaten organically as much as possible for about 25 years and i feel it has slowed the aging process some, and made me overall healthier, but the cancer gene is strong in my family, and I was exposed to DDT used in farming and radium from cows milk in the 50's and my father's second hand smoke the first 16 years of my life, so I feel like a walking time bomb. I am in year 3 of 5 from melanoma. The awful thing is that it disappears for years then pops up somewhere else.
Ginny your idea of how to use the quilt blocks is wonderful--a lovely way to spread that precious inheritance among more family
members. I think hand stitched pieces are the best treasures of all. I saw Betsy Ross's handstitched flag in Philadelphia and it is one of my best memories of things seen on my travels.

Chris, what is the name of the harvey movie? is it just Harvey? I don't know it, but after hearing your comments I would like to order it from Netflix.

Nancy, love the picture. Love snuggles, he looks like a big version of my Penny. Who is the anniversary fairy? I don't even know when the anniversaries are. It's all I can do to keep up with the birthdays.
Thelma, Janie, Dianne, Judy, and everybody out there looking in, hope you are having a great weekend getting your cooking, crafts, done and taking some time to put your feet up and just take a little time for yourself.
I guess Darlys is freezing her fanny off up in Oakhurst. Darlys, if you are peeking in, love ya, girlfriend and daily prayers to you. 2-2-12, 11:45 is etched in my brain for you. so you don't have to worry about it. It's only gonna happen once and you get to sleep through the whole thing. You get to count backwards from 100 and by 98 you will wake up an hour later all warm and comfy and it's history. The hospital I use provides heated blankets and it is the most wonderful thing. By the way, which hospital will it be?
Judi, you posted while I was doing this on notepad. Prayers to you, girlfriend for strength and endurance and peace of mind, I understand what you are going through, you will look back and know it was all worth it and you will have made all the difference in the life of a child, what greater mission can there be. When you have time I would love to hear about your sustainable farm/garden efforts. My son was a certified permaculture teacher/trainer many years ago when it was not really understood.
Well, my novel is complete. love all you gals, glenda

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  2:42:12 PM  Show Profile
My dear special sisters. I love you all and I am so glad I have you in my life. I am fine but I need to tell you this. The Mexico trip is off. I heard through an email from my mother because she could not call me, that my brother's doctor has told him the only way he will survive is to have his throat removed and speak and eat through a tube, and he probably will not survive the surgery. So he is going to go get a comfortable bed, put it in the living room and watch tv. He has cancelled all his appointments because they are not needed. Battle over, cancer won. I need your prayers, please. I don't know how much I will be on this forum for the next little while. What you all can do for me in addition to prayers is have a wonderful holiday, and have extra fun for those who are suffering. Yes, I mean it, have extra fun, do not cry, do not weep, it serves no purpose, live your best life for every single day and just say a little prayer for me and my family when you think about it, but go and celebrate life!!!! I have had my tears and my meltdown and now I will get down to the business of taking care of my brother during his last days. I'm going to first tell him if he dies on Christmas Day I will kill him. The greatest thing about my little brother is his sense of humour.
Love you all, Glenda

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  3:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Just stopping by to say hi. I am saddened that so many friends are having serious health problems. As we walk through these fires together, let us remember the true meaning of Christmas. God never told us life would be easy, however He tells us that He will be with us through trial and tribulation, if we ask Him to walk beside us. I love the poem FOOTPRINTS. If you want me to print it here let me know.

"Ho ho hoing" is going well. I'm glad we had 'down time' today. Sounds like my little corner of Iowa is gearing up for rain tonight which means ICE by morning. It is really cold out. I can't imagine how it can rain. Sleet is not a pretty sight this time of year, and it does a lot of damage to trees and bushes not to mention power lines. I hope it isn't to bad as I am treating myself to a few hours at the local salon before we dash about in the sleigh tomorrow evening.

I spent many years procrastinating over unfinished projects. I was concerned about all the money I wasted. When I retired and we moved I packed up unfinished projects for charity. There is more than one crafter out there somewhere who has more time than money to make things they enjoy. As for the projects I really wanted to make I made a strict rule to finish an unfinished project before I can start a new one. I buy the pattern for the new project,but have to wait to get supplies until an old one is finished. A group of friends and I have a UFO get together now and then to work on 'unfinished objects'. I really don't have any unfinished projects to speak of any more except embroidery things that I'll work on this winter as mood hits.

Made candy today and some cookie doughs that have to chill over night. A friend told me about an easy nibble. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place round pretzels (the ones you can buy this time of year) on the sheet and add a Rolo candy inside each pretzel circle. Heat in 350degree oven for 3 to 5 min. When carmel is melted remove from oven. I added a small pecan half to each piece but they are just as good without nuts. Cool and store in a cool place. give it a try! Oh . These have no calories, because the recipe came from Mrs. Claus and my kitchen is magic. Have a good week everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page