True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  4:58:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone
Glenda I will be praying for you, your brother and your mother. We are with you weather it is Mexico or your mothers side, your sisters are there for you.

Patty You keep nagging!

I was just going to jump on and ask prayers for my niece.
We found out late yesterday that she was in a car accident late Friday night. The DR. said that one of the things that saved her was she had her seatbelt on. She broke her arm and stretche some nerves. Surgery went well and she will be able to keep her arm and may regain full use of her hand. Only time will tell. Please say a prayer of thanks. It could have been much worse.

I will catch up with rest of the post later I need to get going now. My DH is slicing into the bread I just pulled out of the oven.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  5:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Greetings All! Ok....we're on page 149 and I haven't visited since 127....can anyone say 'outta the loop'? :) missed y'all.
Glenda...so sorry to hear about your brother, hope for peace in his transition..acceptance is not an easy task but the Lord will guide both you and your brother. He is blessed that he has you! My prayers will be with you, your brother and certainly your mom. Children should not pass before their parents. It's tough to loss a child but...it's comforting to know any suffering will cease. And will pray that her shadow is just an anomaly.

Holly you are amazing for taking care of your precious children. Both you and they are blessed that you found each other.

Penny...hope your ankle is improving daily...and are able to enjoy the time with your son.

Darlys...hope you don't freeze your touche! :) It's been cold here also but nowhere near what you are experiencing though! I didn't really trick or treat too many times so never really had costumes but I found it fun to make my kids costumes with things I had around the house.

gotta run....Going to try to catchup and try not to stay away so long!

Love and prayers to all my farmgirls! :)

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  6:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Glenda I am sorry that your baby brother has terminal cancer. I am glad for him that he is making a choice to control his own fate. I hope the two of you will laugh a lot together in the next little while.

Being a first responder to an accident can be so emotionally shattering. I am glad that you and your friends were trained in CPR. You all did your best to save her life. There are always what ifs but you did your best. We always wear our seat belts. It is the law but we do anyway.

Judith it sounds like your adoption process is far more involved than ours is. Our difficulty with our youngests adoption was that the judge wanted to make sure that the parental rights were terminated thoroughly so no one could say he had been coerced into signing. Good luck and I hope the stress level lessens.

Today was cold and clear. The little bit of snow we have was great for sledding. Ross and I went sledding on our little hill near the house he was so happy. He drove his sled down the hill across the road and down another little hill into the swamp. He stood up to walk across the swamp and his boot came off. He walked up to the road yelling Mama come quick I am freezing. I pulled his boot out of the mud brushed off his foot and suggested since he was cold we should go in. No, his foot was warming up and we should continue to sled.

the I cool tablets for night sweats and power surges are a little pricey. It was $19 at Kinney drugs. I am sleeping more during the night. I was having more than 5 times a night waking up so hot I was soaked. In the last few nights I have been up only once or twice for short periods of time. I am hoping that as I take them for more days in a row that some of the day sweats will diminish.
There is a pressure point on your leg that if you press it the sweat will be less. If you cross your leg with your foot above your knee put two fingers just above your ankle bone. Just above your fingers there is a little dent in the bone. Press on it and count to ten. That will relieve the sweat. You do not need to cross your leg but it was how I could describe the pressure point.

Well, it is getting late and while I have not said all I wanted I need to go to sleep. the nights are too short.

Sweet dreams

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  6:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening Ladies!

I just popped on in to tell Glenda how so very sorry I am to hear about her brother's most recent news. Make sure you get lots of funny movies for him to watch, I heard it helps people in his position a lot. Harvey is the name of the movie Chris was talking about. It's with Jimmy Stewart. Make sure you get to watch it with him! It's very funny! And you're right Chris, I too love that comment in the movie! Guess I will have to watch it tomorrow night again! :)

I finally made a path into my office this afternoon/evening and now it's time to get ready for work tomorrow. YUCK! I'm never going to get this mess cleaned up to even do anything by Christmas! May have to skip work another day. My boss's computer crashed and we ordered new ones for each of us on Thursday but until they arrive and I set his up, he will take over mine and I'll be playing tiddlywinks all day so it's a good time to skip work.

I will keep everyone in my prayers along with your family and friends. It's so sad so many people are having difficult times right now. It is all part of life, but it shouldn't have to be. It's so hard to go through and I have to say I wonder if it really does make us stronger. I sure don't feel it!

Patty, I am proud of you for stopping and helping at the accident. And to think you girls had just learned the new CPR!! It certainly can come in handy. Years ago I was driving on the freeway in Mpls. and as I went under an over pass and am coming out the other side, I see a person fall right next to me. I pulled over and radio'd in to the shop I worked for to call the police (911 didn't exist yet) and stayed there until the police arrived but I knew I didn't have the stomach to go see if the person was alive. I was so freaked out, but the police made it clear he wasn't alive so I'm sure he wasn't when I stopped either. I'm sure it was a suicide and was thankful he thought enough about others to NOT jump on the cars going 55 mph. But now I work with all the first responders, am one myself, and still wonder if I could have gone over to this guy with all my knowledge now. I still don't think I could have.

I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead and are able to see the sunshine through some of this sadness. And I will be sure and say prayers for all of you every night!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  11:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Prayers to Glenda and all, at this bittersweet time of gratitude and loss.

I might have to take a vow of silence in order to have a Merry Christmas. My son (earlier today) told me very calmly..."mom you don't have to raise your voice".

It reminded me of the years I taught in the classroom and continually had to remind children to use their inside voices... I teach online now so it's very quiet..I sometimes have to force them to communicate so I know they're still there and not just "logged on"....

also..my DH is not too pleased with me either...something about me never happy? What????? Moi??

Let's just say..he's been "renovating" our house for over 7 months now and I'm still tripping over tools and waiting for plumbing, electrical and other things to get finished..excuse me if I need the scaffolding moved, tiling finished and electricity....if I'm going to decorate.

Have I mentioned we haven't truly unpacked yet in this house ...all of the boxes for everything are in the basement. I will actually decorate our house for Christmas before we even hang our first picture on the wall. Before I even unpack all my winter clothes I bet...but I digress...

I might be ready for Christmas by mid January... especially since I'm leaving town again this Friday after work to drive to NC for another visit with my 80 yr old father. He gets released from the hospital and lives alone..not a good scenario for someone in his health condition.

I get to see the Smoky mountains again :) I drive 441 Gatlinburgh, TN to Cherokee, NC (weather permitting) to get to Bryson City where my father is. I will calm down and enjoy the beauty...and with gratitude say a prayer for all.

Merry Christmas to all of you..be safe and cherish every day.

Susan
Farm Sister#3632

"Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after."

-Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Edited by - gypsy farmgirl on Dec 11 2011 11:34:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  11:37:02 PM  Show Profile
PS

No, my father won't come live with us..we've offered numerous times..and he refuses to go to my other siblings homes in Florida. He wants to stay in NC... he's not even from NC originally...but it's home to him now...

Susan
Farm Sister#3632

"Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after."

-Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Edited by - gypsy farmgirl on Dec 11 2011 11:38:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  03:33:38 AM  Show Profile
hi everyone--glenda--i am so sorry to hear this news. you are all in God's hands now, and I commend you to His care. i pray that you all will feel the presence and peace that are surely surrounding you now. we are all standing behind you with linked arms, ready to help you weather the storm.
the movie is indeed called "harvey". there are a couple remakes--be sure to get the version starring jimmy stewart. it is the classic. the actress who plays his sister, vida, is a comedic genius. i can't ever remember her name, but she was in the film version of "arsenic and old lace" with cary grant also. there is a scene where a performance by a singer at a luncheon party is viewed through her reactions that is simply priceless. if you are looking for lighthearted films to watch with your brother--this is one that you really should seek out. i sent it to my SIL when she was going through breast cancer treatment--along with monty python and some other stuff. another movie that is well worth seeking out is a comedy starring james cagney called "one two three". it takes place in west berlin in the 50's so it is very relevant to our age group. billy wilder (some like it hot) directed it and it is a masterpiece. james cagney retired after this film, in part because of how demanding of a role it was. his performance is simply stunning in its brilliance. its kind of politically incorrect, so you don't see it much nowadays. but it is well worth hunting for.
while we are on this subject--what are some of your fave movies? obviously these two are on my list--but here are a couple others--
a majority of one--starring rosalind russell and alec guinness
night of the hunter--starring robert mitchum and shelly winters--with most amazing performance by a child actor who plays the protagonist as well
to kill a mockingbird (saw this in the theatre with my granparents--they took my brother and me to see it because they felt it was so important)
the crawling eye--i love trashy monster movies and this is one of the best
THEM--my DH's fave of all time
the red shoes--one of the greatest films about dance ever made
the french version of beauty and the best (le belle et la bette--spelling may be wrong) another visually stunning piece of art
francis ford coppola's version of the black stallion--another visually beautiful movie
a war film called "a midnight clear". visual images that will bring tears to your eyes
rosalind russell's performance in "auntie mame". she was born to play that part
any of the miss marple films starring margaret rutherford
the version of dickens Christmas Carol starring alistair sim. its the only one worth watching.
looking forward to hearing other people's faves as well!
also--FAVE FAVE FAVE tv of all time--Anne of Green Gables with Colleen Dewhearst and Megan Fallows. every time i hear the theme song from that i start bawling and i smile and cry through every minute of it. chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  05:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies, Well I woke up at 3:30, couldn't sleep. So rolled my yarn for the next project. I posted yesterday and lost it some how. So will try again. Hearing about all the baking going on is getting me antsy. But have to finish projects first. Then I'll start in on my baking and candy.
Penny glad the ankle is coming along better, just take care and pamper yourself a little longer. For us gogetters, it's hard when we are helf back from our everyday busyiness. But it will soon pass. Your in my prayers.
One memory I recall of past Christmas' was when I was about 5 and I always slept in my brothers room on the floor, so grandma could sleep in my bed. Christmas morning really early, I heard a loud HO HO. I hurried to wake up my brother, and he said I heard Santa, now go back to bed, or he'll leave before he eats his cookies. And sure enough, cookies were gone and presents under the tree. I have told that story to my 5 GC and with a new one coming in March, The story will go on.
I see alot of you are just like me, UFO's, when I see something new, I just think I have to try it. But theres alot of it piled in little stacks. My goal for 2012 is finishd UFO's before starting another project. My notebook of want to do's is getting really full, but they will have to wait.
Chris, I love teahouses. We have a cute antique shop in a little town just north of us, and they have a little tearoom. All the dainty little sandwiches, salads, and wonderful tea. Decor all victorian, I just don't want to leave. I believe DH and I are going to take it in during Christmas shopping this year.
Judi, you just check in when you can, It's hard sometimes to catch up, but we all enjoy your post, and look forward to them. Also, I'm praying that the adoption goes smoothly.
Thelma, prayer will be going out 2-2-12 when your surgery is schuduled. All will go fine, keep asking for those warm blankets, their wonderful!
Janice I got a good laugh at your dads barbed wire wrapping! Great idea.
Want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY farmgirls over 50. Love you girl, CJ,Debra,Holly,Thelma!
Glenda I was so sorry that your brothers cancer could not be treated. Take these trying times to just love him and enjoy talking about all the fun and good times you shared. Sending prayers for your brother and you and your family.
Patty your story about your friend that had the Kidney cancer, was diffently a Mircle. If we look around us everyday, we can find miracles. But the Lord uses times like this to make sure were still in line with him.
By the way, where have I been or am I'm just forgetting more these days, I don't know whats going on with all the flowers. Nancy your pic with your flowers are beautiful. YOU and the flowers.
Well guess I'll get back to my knitting needles.
Praying you all have a wonderful and peaceful day. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  05:54:53 AM  Show Profile
I woke up this morning to rain. We have been waiting for it for a few days with cloudy overcast. I am hoping we will have a good bit of it since it usually misses us. Mr. Kitty went out and then decided it was much nicer inside so is now sleeping in a closet somewhere.

Glenda, I am so sad to hear about your brother. My heart just goes out to you. I have a brother and I know how I would feel if it were him. I am thinking of you each day that you will be with him in peace and comfort. I am sorry, too, you had that emotional experience of that accident. You and your friends were there and did the right thing in helping. You did the best you could in trying to save the woman and that is all you could do. I have always worn my seat belt even before it was the law.

Holly, I hope the I Cool tablets will work well for you and as you continue to take them the sweats will diminish. I remember the sweats that I had and how very uncomfortable I was especially the ones at night. The pressure points are interesting. Have you tried it? Does it work for you at all?

Susan, Like my sweet granddaughter Kelly always says in her softest voice, " Oh, maybe you need to sit down for a while and have a nice cup of tea." You sound like I did when I was all packed up to move to Florida and my husband was taking his time about moving. We were ready to go for almost a year and a half. Just like you I was waiting...waiting. I didn't even get Christmas decorations up that year and we ended up with some tiny tree I bought at the last minute. I was a teacher, too, and he kept telling me to use my "inside" voice. We laugh now but then every room had boxes all packed and ready to go. It was a mess.

I hope things get better for you soon. I am hoping your father will do okay by himself with a little help from you. I will keep you in my prayers that all goes well.

Chris, My favorite movie of all time is Casablanca. Just love that movie and I have seen it at least a dozen or more times. I never tire of it. I have favorite scenes and lines. The movie THEM was filmed partly in the Los Angeles river bed. It makes me laugh because that area where the big ants are hiding is where the "big" LA river is. The river is so little usually. The reason the river bed is so big is that when it does rain all the water drains into it. Believe it or not, every year the firedepartment rescue team has to go out and save people who somehow fall into the rushing water. My other very favorite film is Some Like It Hot. A Billy Wilder film. I love anything that Jack Lemmon has done. I, too, love the Anne of Green Gables series. It is so wonderful and I get so emotional seeing it.

I love the silent movies and if anyone like Johnny Depp one of the silent movies you will enjoy is watching The General with Buster Keaten. You will see a resemblence there between the two.

I am starting today on the very easy quilt for my bed. It is rows of 8" squares. I have been waiting to make this since August. I am just now cutting the squares.

Haha! I beat my DH playing crocquet yesterday. He couldn't believe it. Well, neither could I for a minute. He missed hitting the last pole which gave me the chance.

I hope this week will bring a bit of joy through all this sorrow. Remember, God is with us. He hears our prayers. I will continue to pray for you all.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.

Some gifts are big, some gifts are small. Gifts from the heart are the best gifts of all.
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  06:15:58 AM  Show Profile
hello everyone! back at work today and have to report that i did not do any crafting this weekend. by the time i finally found the felt for the pillows was too frustrated to even try to do it. also did not have the right color of red for the poinsettias so i just wrapped myself in my prayer shawl and me and the youngest (baby boy) took a good long nap in the recliner Saturday.
Glenda, I am so sorry to hear about your brother and mother. will be praying for you especially ..May God grant all of your family peace.
Holly, i take black cohosh for night sweats. It works really well for me.
my favorite movies are the ones with margaret rutherford starring as Miss Marple. she is a hoot! and my dh and i always always always watched Scrooged with bill murray on Thanksgiving.
i did find a western santa claus doll while looking for the felt so that is my decoration.
well, better get to work...
hugs to all
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  06:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am not having surgery. I was just sending prayers to sick sisters.

Nancy, Good luck with your quilt. I will help you if you have questions. I have to bind 2 quilts for gifts and then I can sew another quilt for myself.

Edited by - Thelma on Dec 12 2011 06:58:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  07:36:21 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Everyone

My niece made it through the night and her fingers are less swolen and she is able to move them more. All good signs.
She will be in the hospital a few days so they can monitor her. Ok for all the details. She was at the bar with friends.
She was to drunk to drive so one of her frinds said he was fine and would drive her home. He was not ok. Well Duh!
He side swiped two parked cars and then rear ended another. He was laughing the whole time.
He jumped out of the car and left her in the car injured. She had braced her hand on the windshield when he hit the last parked car.
They did catch him and she was taken to the local hospital and the sent to the major hospital where they sould do the surgery.
I asked her why she did not call us to come and bget her. It is a small town we are about 8 blocks from the bars.
She said she did not want to bother us at 2 in the morning.I told her I would rather be bothered at 2 in the morning than attend her funeral!
I hope she got the message. She could have walked to the house and crashed on the couch! But no she had to get in a car with someone who was drunker
than she was.

Ok I know I should pray for this guy. I am having a hard time with that. I want to just clobber him. I know, I know that would not do any good.
It might make me feel better. Off the rant. Thanks for the prayers and listening to me.

Glenda You and your brother, and mother are in my prayers. May God wrap all of you in his arms as you walk through this valley.

Favorite movies seems to be a theam here. I love the Christmas Carol movies. I own several versions. My favorite is the Muppet version.
Other movies are any Sherlock Holmes movies. The ones with Basil Rathbone are a favorite. The new one is pretty good too. I have worn out one copy and
had to by another of Medicine Man with Sean Conery. I am an eclectic movie watcher just like I am a reader. I have favorites in just about every type but mysteries
are my favorites.

Our tree hunting went really good even if there was very little snow. I will post pics later.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  11:42:25 AM  Show Profile
Once a year I take a snowy afternoon and watch a movie I can't spell. Dr. Chavagough is way spelled wrong - there is a z in there somewhere, but I love this 4 hour story set in Russia during the revolution. The boarded up castle with ice and snow covering the intire inside is so romantic! A beautiful love story that is way cool!

Got my hair done this morning. A real treat! This afternoon I bake the cookie dough I stirred up yesterday,and then I'll start binding a quilt. Tonight we ride the sleigh to neighboring town to visit volunteer firemen's families. FUN
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  12:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Thelma...I only watched Dr. Zchvogouh (sp) once in my entire life and I never want to see it
again. Only because my husband (when we first got married) said it was his all time favorite
movie and would I watch it with him....so, I did...and he bawled so hystericly through most of
the movie (and my DH is a big burly guy not usually emotional)...well, his reaction to the movie
so freaked me out...I can barely remember it...but I do remember it was very sad. But oh my gosh
whenever he brings that movie up...I always say..."Let's not go there again!" LOL

Dianne...I popped on here to see if you had posted about your Niece. Glad to here she pulled through.
The blind leading the blind...or the drunk driving the drunk...neither scenario good!!!
Will keep praying for them.

blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  3:00:32 PM  Show Profile
My computer can't find the server so I will try again a bit later. This is from my new(ish) iPhone and I'm in a mega learning curve.

Glenda -after seeing your last message I tried to call you. I know you are strong but I am hoping we can connect.

Patty - so glad you are back but was saddened that you had an experience that added to your already brimming stress level.

I need to read page 150 when I have a bigger screen.

God watch over each of you and protect you and bring you peace.

My love to my sisters here.

Candy canes and chocolate kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  4:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, my phone has died--it started dropping calls and acting crazy earlier today and then it wouldn't take calls but go to voice mail--I had this problem with my last phone and had to get a new one but I can't get to the AT&T store for a couple of days. I have it plugged in to see if a full charge will make it work but when my last phone started doing this I had to get a new one. I got it wet yesterday and that's probably what's wrong. I am okay-- just trying to deal with a new normal right now.
Thanks so much all of you for all your kind words and prayers. I'll be back in touch when I can. Darlys if my phone will work I will try to call you tomorrow, gf. thanks so much.....

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  04:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Good morning. Hopefully things will fall back in to normal routine soon... I have my fingers crossed for maybe after Christmas. Gosh, It is only 12 days until Christmas. I think I am ready... or close anyways. I have been baking cookies, zucchini bread and packaging up some preserves to gift to neighbors and friends the last couple of days. Yesterday I made some ornaments to attach to the packaging. I will finish up my baking this morning and deliver the packages today. Dalous and I discussed NOT putting up the Christmas tree as the kids will not be home for Christmas. But the more baking and wrapping of gifts I do, the more I think I might just go buy a little tree from the boy scout lot and put one up. I saw some pillows on Pinterest that I want to try and make for the kids this week. I need to quit finding things I want to make and start shipping their packages out. When the kids ask me what I want for Christmas I tell them I want them to come home after Christmas and work for me..lol. Clean gutters, shampoo carpets, paint walls, wash windows. I have a list of things that could be done, and a great excuse to get them home. :) I didn't birth four children for sheer joy. :) (Ok, maybe I birthed them for the grandbabies).
After all the gifts and packages are delivered locally today I need to start thinking about the gifts for our trip to Cincinnati to spend time with Dalous' mother and siblings. I will make his siblings a homemade gift and will bake plenty of zucchini bread for them. I usually take about 20 loaves to the feast and before we eat, everyone already has loaves packed away to take home. So simple to make, and they all love it. I will make cannoli shells, panatone bread and frozen tortellini noodles to take to my Italian mother-in-law. Cannoli shells will stay fresh in an air tight container all year. I picked up some pyrex baking dishes from a thrift store and etched them with his mother's name so she can use them to take to gatherings. I also made her some pillowcases and dish towels. She will love them. No "NEW" gifts this year. I have held up to the homemade, recycled or reused promise. I try to keep my "most loved daughter-in-law" status...lol. I have the most wonderful mother-in-law. She is a little tiny petite lady. She came here from Italy and Sicily when she was young. SHe has loads of stories to tell of times before WWII. Dalous always calls his mother a "WOP", in a very loving way. She explained to me that a WOP means "without papers"... funny I had heard that all my life and never knew.
Well off to bake some cookies. Have a wonderful day.

My husband Dalous and his mother, Mama Clara

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  05:07:09 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies!
Have also been out of the loop lately. Trying to catch up on many days of postings.
I think my fav memories are more as an adult with my own kids....
One was when my son had wanted the castle from the 'He-Man' series of toys. If you spoke into the microphone, it made your voice change into the evil 'Skeletor' character. As my dad, mom and I were wrapping stuff, dad couldn't resist playing with it. Kept talking into that thing, and it came out louder than you would think!! Nearly woke the kids up!! Lol! We then got to laughing so much, thankfully the kids still slept thru it all, or so we always thought maybe????
I also have a Christmas that just always touches my heart. The first Christmas as a young single mom.......... Wasn't sure quite how I was going to afford Christmas . Had a couple of dear friends, on a very limited income, that went out and bought some great things for each of my 4 kids. Their generous hearts and spirits still touch me as I remember. They have gone home to be with the Lord a few years ago. Who they were to those who knew them, will always be with us!!! Well, with their generosity and presents from other family and friends, my kids probably had their best Christmas ever !!!!
Glenda, our hearts are with you and prayers for your family.
Holly, hopes and prayers that in time your son will turn around. Been there myself. Sometimes it takes a very long time, but it does happen. What joy and relief when they turn their lives around!!! Hang in there, ok?
Penny , continue to heal and I hope the ankle mends soon!
Brenda, so glad you are feeling better!
Well. Time for am tea. I need to get busy on Christmas as well!
Hope each of you have a great day!
Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Dec 13 2011 05:10:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  11:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, just a quick post...I haven't caught up on the reading part yet...so just want to thank everyone for the prayers and warm wishes on my recovery. It is healing and I can put just a little pressure on it now but still on crutches....and keeping it elevated....so I'm back off to the bed...getting alot of reading done and crocheting too...but miss my daily posts with all of you....just know you all are in my daily prayers and heart...love you all.....hope to be up and back to reading all and posting soon....ok back to bed for me now...got to keep this foot elevated...love ya'll and miss ya'll so much

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - Acelady02 on Dec 13 2011 7:32:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  12:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hi girls!
I just can't stay on top of what's happening here. I think of you girls so much . . .
Happy Birthday to those of you having December Birthdays! My 63rd is coming up soon. . . . Yee-Haw!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  12:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I never thought the Dr. Z movie was that sad. I am a romantic and a history buff so guess I have a little different slant to the story than your hubby.

Patty, You sound just like me. I'm putting the final touches on my gifts, but now can think of tons more things I can make. What did you make for package tags? I am just starting to do stamping, but am looking for something unusual this year.

I just finished making my first batch of 'Tassies' ever. They are not professional looking, but taste ok. I'm taking them and some homemade candies to garden club party tonight. Happy preperations everyone. Ho ho ho
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  12:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh, good! I'm back online. But, of course, with my kids starting to arrive for our "early Christmas" tomorrow (they weren't supposed to show up until Friday) - I have a lot of "stuff" to get out of the way.

I did get out yesterday and got a honey-baked ham for Friday night. I've got to clean out the fridge and then go grocery shopping today. And, although I'm set with the socks - they still have to be wrapped - and the $$ put in envelopes. The tree is up but not decorated. That's the first thing I'm going to get the kids going on ... that and putting up the house lights. The whole court is lit ... except for us. And it's not for lack of spirit ... it's for lack of (daylight) time.

I've never seen Dr. Zhivago. (But I can spell it. yay.) I have heard the soundtrack though and it is beautiful.

My favorite movies are the oldies. I liked Doris Day, Barbra Streisand, Bing Crosby ... etc. And I absolutely loved Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell. Now I have to admit (chick-flick) but guys can't help laughing, too, that 'New In Town' with Renee Zellweiger and Harry Conick, Jr. is a favorite. (Of course, being from Minny-soda, I can relate to the weather - and the tapioca pudding!) I double up laughing everytime I see it. Oh, and I also enjoyed the Pink Panther. Another goodie was The Italian Job. Classic! I know I'm forgetting some great ones. But they will keep for another day.

GFs -- I have to get up off the butt and get going with things around here.

I got a new book for entering prayer requests and have been doing just that. Even though I may lag a little acknowledging some here - I am keeping you and your loved ones in prayer.

I will be wishing you all a lovely holiday, a joyful Christmas and a happy, healthy and safe New Year from now until we ring in 2012.

Candy Canes, Sugar Plums and Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  1:14:14 PM  Show Profile
I've a lot to catch up on. Have been having computer problems and not the time to take it in. Hope it's fixed for now but he wouldn't guarantee as it's a dinasour. I have just mailed out December birthday cards along with my Christmas cards to family, etc. I don't send many anymore due to postoage. I mailed of my grandsons and granddaughters Christmas cookies. One box going to Germany and one to Georgia. They're both in the Army. My grandson in the navy is married and his wife makes him cookies all the time. In case this thing goes down again let me wish you all now a very Merry Christmas that celebrates Christmas and to those that don't a Happy Holiday season no matter what your religion or lack of one. We are after all believers in a lot of things but we are still Americans.

I have 9 new baby chicks. Hatched at 19 days and after a power outage two days before. I guess they're tough little gals and guys. Well, back to my finishing up gifts. Everyone have a good day....
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  3:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Patty Love the pic. Thanks for the idea of baking zucchini bread to but in baskets. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

Betty that is sweet of you to mail cookies off tho your gkids in the Army. My GF and I have a girl we kind of adopted as her mother was... well... lets skip that and move on.
Tanna is in the Air Force and is in Afganistan some where. We got together with a few other people from our Church and mailed her a box yesterday.
Things to remind her we still love her and a couple of things she needed. Long Johns and hair conditioner. She said shampoo is easy to get but not conditioner.
Not the normal requests for Christmas. Oh she also wanted Idaho Spud Bars. We sent her a big box of those, so she could share.

It is clear and clod still holding out for thursday. Both the local and national weather guys agree on snow. Kind of scares me when they agree. They usually don't. LOL

I am jealous of all of you that are done or almost done with CHristmas presents. I am so far behind it will be January before I am ready.

I had better get off thid thing and get a few things done before I head home.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  4:26:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,
Just wanted to say a quick hello and that I am thinking of y'all!!
Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page