True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  4:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful poem, Susan!

Ladies, I have not joined you here before because I'm not sure I can keep up...but, I have been reading your posts lately, and I am waaaaay over 50 and loving it!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  5:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Susan I really liked the poem. There are two used bookstores in town and I bet one of them will have the book. It might be a good pair of gifts for my son who is sitting in jail for robbing a drug dealer in broad daylight when they were home.

I really like beef stew. I have not made it for a while. this is a good time of year for beef stew. I do not know how to make fried chicken. We do make a great fried fish. Tonight we had ham steaks, mashed potatoes and green beans. It was very tasty for a meal that was not labor intensive.

Today it was cloudy and cold. Maybe we are to get snow tonight. I hope it stays. My ideal for the winter would be temperatures in the 20's with feet of snow collecting over time to insulate the ground so the frost does not go too deep. If the frost does set deep into the ground then mud season is that much worse.

Has anyone heard from Patty? Maybe she is taking care of Jake.

I like to do a lot diffeerent crafts. I do not have the attention span to do the same thing over and over. I think about doing crafts and selling them on Etsy but I could not get up enough inventory of one thing to sell. I carry around cotton yarn to crochet into washclothes now. Over the years I have carried yarn to do afghans. They get too big to carry after a while. I have a counted cross stitch going but I need to make a copy of part of the pattern so I can continue it. I started a hooked rug kit but I must be putting the stitches too close together because I ran out of one of the colors and I need to get some more. I am trying to make a shakere with beads a little bigger than seed beads. I had to put glue on the ends of the line to keep the ends from spreading. I do finish projects really I do.

Has everyone bought their sunscreen and ocean toys for the Mexico trip. Is this place we are going on the ocean? Will the water be warm enough for swimming? Several years ago we went on a cruise and stopped in Antigua. We went to a place that was supposed to be the third most beautiful beaches in the world. Anyway, you could body surf for the twenty or so feet out from the beach and then the bottom dropped off and the water was swimmable. I was coming into the beach on a wave and it caught me. Pulled the bottom of my tankini down and the top up. My sons were so embarrassed and all they could see was my back side. I do love swimming in the ocean. I live in the only landlocked New England state.

I have stopped milking Coco the cow. She is due in January and we are supposed to dry her off for the two months before she births. She was giving less than a gallon a day. I sure will miss that creamy milk.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  5:27:45 PM  Show Profile
Remember me???? I posted back on page 138....I have been dealing with some problems with my mom and have NOT been able to get on and see how y'all are doing. I got on my e-mail and saw that I had a million post from Mj farms and thought I would just touch base for now. I need little prayers for my mom and will get on later this week. One thing that I have been thinking of is how is Jake who had the motor cycle accident? Jest been wonderin.
Hugs to all and will read and write later. Debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  6:02:27 PM  Show Profile
Me, too debra e. overwhelmed today. Welcome Susan. Love your poem. Pinterest says "Don't look back, that's not the direction you're going". Holly you rock-----I don't know how you do it. I also can not seem to stay on one thing very long, thats why I thought the art journal might be fun.

Mexico beckons--countdown starting...we are leaving all our cares behind just for a few days. Who has the trunk, wasn't it Thelma? Hope she's airing it out -those things get musty. I'm trying to get the name of the resort so you can check it out online. I'm not as good a tour guide as our darling darlys so I'm hoping she will jump in and take over. I'm ready for warm sunshine. I didn't know we were having a hard freeze last night(darn this stupid texas weather) and I didn't turn on heat in the greenhouse, went up there today and my beautiful tomato plants are done for. I'm really upset.

Glenda #3534
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  7:41:02 PM  Show Profile
Wait a minute! Holly, your son robbed a drug dealer?? did you get that backwards? Many years ago my brother's step-son was shot and killed by a drug dealer......I'm thinking your boy may be lucky to be only in jail and not 6 ft. under. altho it sounds like they got the wrong person in jail.......

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Dec 07 2011 7:42:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  7:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Darlys, Chis, Nancy, Janiee and Dianne for prayers we definitely need it right now.

Chris, I love your photo and I love the fact that even though your porch is probably very big...Duke was nestled on the bench with you, not on the ground like most dogs..and he looked very comfortable.

Nancy, congrats on having all your Christmas presents done...this year is going to be a Christmas Eve scramble for me..I can feel it...

Thelma..love your holiday spirit and energy..I haven't gotten it yet..but it will arrive soon I'm sure

Holly..Hopefully your son will reach his turning point soon. With my family I learned the hard way there is a fine line between helping family and getting "sucked dry" by loved ones..so I'm always watching where that line is

Would you believe, I used to live in Antigua? only for several months..Hurricane Hugo came and put an end to my endeavors down there...

Loved the visual of your body surfing..brings back good memories of growing up on the beaches of Florida...Boca Beach was my favorite...

Judith..Afraid of keeping up? hogwash..JUMP IN!!!! (I took quick notes to be able to do tonight's response)

debra e..yes..your name is one of the first names I remembered when I first joined/posted

Glenda..your art journal sounds fun..was that in an earlier post? Seems like something I would enjoy.

Janiee...did you come up with a craft yet? let us know what you decided..Are you like me and have "unfinished" projects? why not tackle an unfinished project....

We had just a moment or two of snow flurries this morning but the day was mostly clear, breezy and cold..I had dried beans simmering most of the day and then served them tonight with (left over) brown rice, fresh broccoli spears (that I stir fried a moment first to get some "browning" before adding the water for steaming), baked salmon and french bread...with seasoned olive oil for dipping..I only ate one piece of bread and went small on the rice/bean portion since I'm trying to lose weight.

Susan
Farm Sister#3632

"Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after."

-Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  04:15:21 AM  Show Profile
hi everyone--debra its nice to see you here again--i have said a prayer for your mom. holly--i am sorry to hear this about your son. hope he is okay and will be out soon. your story cracked me up--maybe you need to scope out the nude beaches :-). glenda--hope everything is going okay for you now.
thanks to everyone for your nice comments on the photo. duke is actually not my dog--he belongs to the people that own the teahouse--which is where kathy and i were when this pic was taken.
its the neatest little place--truly out in the middle of nowhere. down at the end of a long drive--you pass the henhouse where the chickens whose eggs make the quiche they serve live. then you come to the grape arbors where they grow the old fashioned concord grapes they sell.
at last you come to the teahouse itself--a set of two tiny buildings connected by a deck. the people who run it are in their 70's--retired missionaries. duke meets you on the porch and you select the building you want to go it. the larger building has a grand piano in the middle of the room and is full of memorabilia of all kinds--primarily western in theme. antique photos of roy rogers, gene autry, the lone ranger, stuff like that--most of them autographed. an antique newspaper that was found in a trunk has been lovingly preserved and is on display. the headline on the paper is Lincoln's assasination.
you order your drink--they make real chai--the authentic way that they learned while living in india. you can read a flyer that explains how the teahouse came to be (a tornado blew a tree down and the first plan was to build a gazebo, but they decided to make a teahouse instead). there are many references to their Christian faith throughout the place. not preachy--just a statement of their beliefs, and their best wishes to each patron that they may find the spiritual center that everyone needs--regardless of what form it takes.
their menu is simple--quiche of the day, soups and sandwiches and pie--all prepared fresh with local ingredients in the smaller of the two buildings. and a myriad of teas--all served in teapots (loose leaf of course) that come snugged into a cozy. if you ask, the owner will lift his guitar and sing for you. we were entertained with four songs--one that he had written about the teahouse itself, and old hymn everyone was invited to sing along with, a funny old jingle about soap, and then he finished with "Vaya con Dios". after lunch we went for a walk through the trail that has been cut on the property (after playing poetry trivia while waiting in line to pay our checks). duke, who had been waiting quietly on the porch, swung into action when he saw us heading for the trail, and he accompanied us all the way around the woods. the photo was taken when we returned from our walk.
it is truly a magical place--filled with the spirit of the people who created it.
chris

not a boy--long story

Edited by - Clumboy on Dec 08 2011 04:16:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  05:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies!
Chris, the tea house seems just a lovely place to hang out and relax!!
Well, hope to get a lot of sewing projects done today!!
Had the gkids last nite. Whew, getting out in this cold for school drop offs is no picnic, lol!!
We may get snow flurries tonite.
Hope each of you has a great day.
Farmgirl bugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  06:07:33 AM  Show Profile
hello everyone!
chris, love love love the description of the teahouse. Sounds like a magical peaceful place to visit.
holly , you and i must be sisters! I have the same problem, started a cross stitch pattern and it is not finished. started a quilt and stopped in the middle of it and i am embarrassed to confuse to the rest of the pile! Part of my problem is that i am so wishy washy. i tell my sister that i am going to make a doll and she says, why don't you make jewelry instead? and i don't do either after that. i thought about giving all of the beading stuff away but she talked me out of that too. I think i might have developed a crafting block and i just need to push thru it and do what i feel like doing. my sweet husband understood and would often tell me to do just what my heart desired. I miss him so much during this time of the year. he loved it so.
I am not much of a cook, almost 6 years ago i had accidents with knifes which resuled in emergency room visits and stitches so my dh took over the cooking at that time. Now i am having to relearn all of it and only cook for one and i am a diabetic and that makes it harder. so i have decided that i need to go to Mexico too! maybe a visit with all of you and the warm weather would help. I have already packed my sunscreen and i wouldn't take up much room.
Thelma, love your energy - keep going girl!
susan, we are very much alike in the crafting arena, part of my problem in finishing something i have started is that when i go on a cleaning kick, i pack all of that stuff up and throw it in the garage and it is too cold to go looking for it now. I do have a lot of fabric out and several sewing machines -i even have several aprons cut out (if i can find them) it is just sitting in the room and sewing them and not paying attention to my furbabies. I have 4 that live in the house with me. Two cats and two dogs all rescued.
Blanco, solid white persian cat with the most beautiful blue eyes, black beauty a solid black cat (slightly off base but that is another story) a solid black dog named Sally who missed being put down at the pound by 1 day (another long story)she is a cockerspaniel and scott terrier mix and Baby boy, a long hair rat terrier and the baby of the bunch. They keep it lively at the house.
well, i am at work so i had better get back to it. hugs
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  07:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning

It is cold again. About 13 degrees this morning. The sun is working to rise. Not that it will make it a whole lot warmer, but the mind thinks it is because the sun is shinning.

Thelma Give Santa a hug for me and tell him I want snow for Christmas. LOL

Judith welcome to the crazy women of the over 50 group. We are starting to check ID's though so have yours ready. If you have looked at some of the pics you will know why.
Some of these women are sneaking on just hang out with us. They can not be 50 or over! No way!

Holly My favorite meals to make are not loabor intensive. How ever my DH's favorite are always labor intensive. Well not the making part just the cleaning part. LOL
If you saw my craft / sewing room you would ask if I ever finish anything. I also carry a bag that has different things in it.
I work on dishclothes or pot holders YO-YO's, socks, whatever the mood strikes. It keeps me from getting bored in the car when DH drives.

Debra glad you stoped by to let us know what is going on. I will keep your mom in my prayers. Keep us posted.

Glenda sorry about the tomato plants. All we are having is hard freezing weather, but this is Idaho.

Chris The place sounds wonderful. I can see why you would want to go and just be part of it for a while.

I do have to tell you all a funny story. I hope you will laugh with me. I have not told my DH much about this group of women. Just a few thing now and then.
My youngest DD knows quite a bit because I share with her all the laughs that onle girls would understand. Any way. When the beautiful flowers arrived Monday, I was not home yet.
My DD read the card "Dianne and DH" My husband said that must stand for Dumb Husband. My DD said no dad that stands for Dear Husband. You see he had managed to do something that ticked
me off the day befor. He was feeling very guilty. LOL Any way I did confirm he was my Dear Husbad although he did on occasion act like a Dumb Husband.LOL

Have a great day everyone

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  12:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I give up ... but only for the moment. I will come back to the Mystery of the Roses ... later. I still have Penny and one other to interrogate.

The holidays have everyone hopping it seems. I'd like to be online more but our (my side - kids, g-kids, gr-g-kids) are all coming here on the weekend of the 16/17/18 and I'm trying to brace myself. There will be 16 of us. I went on Priceline.com and got them rooms in the Hilton on the cheap. We take them all to the Dicken's Fair at the Cow Palace. (This will be the last year of going to the fair. We'll have to find something they will agree to in the Central Valley.) Then we do Larry's family side on Christmas Day. His mom is at his sister's for the holidays. She's 91 and in good health.

Went to the doctor for "pre-op and testing stuff" yesterday. Surgery is scheduled for 2/2/12. I will appreciate prayers that it will go well.

Glenda, I had just written you a nice long e-mail when the dang e-mail provider timed out and I lost it. Now I'll have to remember what I said and get back to you a bit later. Thank you, gf, for your words of encouragement. I appreciate you so much. I think it's time I got a different e-mail address. this isn't the first time that happened. I'll let you all know if/when there is a change. Ohhhh - pooper about the tomatoes. I gotta learn a bit about greenhouses. Larry said okay.

Penny, m'dear ... how is the ankle? How is the cold? What about your back? How is everything?!

And where is Patty?

Holly, I thought you were going to be the proper and maybe even tamest one amongst us! Love the tankini bit!
I am sorry you are having difficulty with your son. The young folk seem to think they are invincible. My oldest son was certifiably wild ... delinquent ... untameable. And, along with experimenting with drugs, an alcoholic. On one occasion a judge asked him "Why are you here again, Alan!" And he replied so respectfully, "because, your honor, I got caught." He has been sober for nearly 15 years now and is the funniest, sweetest, nicest, stuffiest "old man" (& grampy) you'd ever want to meet.

Dinner - last night leftover meatloaf, stir fried green beans, carrots w/onion, and rice. Tonight - beef stroganoff with noodles and some sort of veggie - depending on what strikes my fancy at the farmer's market today. I also have some leftover baby back ribs from night before last. I think we may just have pulled pork sandwiches on the way out the door (going to Oakhurst) tomorrow night.

Chris - your slice of heaven sounds so much like - well - a slice of heaven. I enjoyed it right along with you there. Also loved your picture on the porch. Oh, and I'm happiest in jeans and turtle neck sweaters and flannel shirts in winter - and Chico's cargo pants and tee-shirts in summer. Yes, Glenda, I have a couple of hats to fend off the sun, too.

Susan - my house started smelling good just reading about your dinner. By the way, is anyone NOT trying to lose weight. I can pack on pounds just by reading cookbooks!

Nancy ... we have a croquet set in Oakhurst. Until we put in a "proper" yard -- we just call the games Extreme Croquet. The terrain is challenging! We also have a horseshoe pit ... and our wonderful neighbors have a Bocce Ball court.

Dianne ... be careful what you wish for, gf!!! BTW, your dinners sound a lot like my "staples." Except for fried chicken. I can never seem to get it right.

Janie -- snuggle in, gf, the travel accommodations to Mexico are expandable! We can fit you in as long as you promise to be naughty at least 32-1/2% of the time. We have to constantly have something to giggle about. Did you, perchance, read about Glenda's "adventures" in (and after) Maui. That pool boy will never be the same. Penny went skinny dipping and then lost her bikini (that was supposed to "cover" the evidence)under the bed. And now we hear that Holly has an inclination toward baring it all, too! Mexico is going to be even more fun because Glenda is bringing 3 - count 'em - 3 young single studs and one more mature one - along and has promised as many pool boys as we can handle. The girl knows how to entertain!

I would love to catch up with you all about my smorgasbord of crafty things (along with my quilting) but I will have to come back later for that.

Judith ... it's impossible to keep up on this forum. We may just have way too much time on our hands and just spend it laughing, praying, loving, crafting, playing and caring online. Just join us whenever you can and you will be so welcomed. I met and, in just six months, have some of my dearest friends (I hope forever) - right here.

Thelma - I don't know how you do all you do. But would you please do me a great favor and ask Santa to give me prayers for this upcoming surgery for Christmas. DS just informed me that 2/2/12 is groundhog day. Now I'm thinking of the movie - and doing the day (oh no!) over and over and over and over again.

Oh and how deep is the snow in Iowa? Dianne is turning green -- uh oh ... she has a shovel in her hand and a determined look on her face.

Gotta dash for now. Love you all, gfs.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Dec 08 2011 12:58:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  12:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Crafting idea I wanted to share... it just came to my emails and I thought of Janie on the quest for a craft...this seemed pretty and pretty easy...hope the link becomes active when I press submit reply.

http://www.hgtv.com/handmade/how-to-sew-a-poinsettia-felt-applique-pillow/index.html

Susan
Farm Sister#3632

"Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after."

-Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  1:03:31 PM  Show Profile
Dianne...that's funny. Leave it to a (guilty) Hubby to come up with THAT original one! hahaha
Loved that description of the Tea-House! Sounds like a place where I could spend a lot of time. I'd love to read all the wall memorabilia. And to have a Happy-Dog loping alongside me on the trails.....yup....Ya sucked me right in!! LOL I'm there!
I'm still waiting for snow. We finally have cold...but no snow. We had misty gray days for a couple....but no white stuff. Those of us who are waiting anxiously for it, wouldn't it be neat to have an all-day Christmas-Day-Eve-Snow!/?.I mean ALLLLL of us??!!!! How cool would that be? Takes ya back to childhood dreams'n wishes doesn't it?
Ok....we all have lots of burdens and heartaches right now....so....let's go back into our childhood for awhile, and let's talk about memories. I mean...at our age...if we don't rake it up now....then when? *snort* They could be gone in a fleeting moment,right? Share anything that comes to mind...and as many times as you want to post. You can tell us 1 thing or 10 things....let's just bring those "Olden-Times" back for a spell. An "Escape from the daily grind."
So I'll start:
I remember Christmas goodies. During the season, Mama would bake about 10 different kinds of cookies, plus her pies. And Daddy would make candy...divinity, fudge, seafoam, sometimes 4 or 5 different colors.
Then there was the store-bought candies they both loved. We didn't have a lot of store-bought junk-food during the year, but come Christmas....WOW! One year...I'll never forget, we had 21 different kinds of candies, nuts to crack in our big wooden nut bowl, and a big basket of fruit,each type of fruit
lovingly selected at our local Produce Mkt. Were we allowed to eat ourselves sick? NO! We were allowed a few pieces of candy, then some fruit and some nuts. Oh, and the cookies? We didn't even know where she hid those until Christmas morning. Then I think we ate them until Valentines' Day! hahaha And that's my (1st) Christmas memory, I'm sharing with you!
Next?.....

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  1:36:27 PM  Show Profile
hi gals!
darlyls, I promise to be naughty a good deal more than that! and 3 pool boys? what fun! You know of course that we will all have to have something good to come back with and share with the rest of the group...hehehe
susan, i printed up the instructions from the link you sent. I am pretty sure that i have everything i need to make one of these pretty poinsettia felt pillows. since my sister isn't coming for a visit this weekend i might try it then. thanks for thinking of me!

Penny, how is that ankle doing? we haven't heard from you lately.
for my Christmas memory - my mom use to wrap presents and put the wrong names on them. one year she forgot to change one of them back to her name and i ended up with a really neat billfold. didn't know until years later that it was supposed to be hers and she never told me. we always had stockings but they were usually filled with nuts and oranges and an apple and a small present. My dad always wrapped his presents with barbed wire. he LOVED barbed wire and would make a great show Christmas morning about having to cut the wire off of his box prior to giving the presents to us. Nowadays, none of my family even decorate for the holidays. oh well, boss just came back in to work so i had better...
see you guys tomorrow
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  1:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Judy what a great idea to have us share our childhood memories...to get the spirit of Christmas flowing: The first two that come to mind for me are:

1. Being snuggled so warm in my bed and yet the house being soooo cold...I had to stay snuggled under the blankets and covers...until the smell of breakfast made me run across the cold floors....

2. Each Christmas Eve was the day we finally brought the tree inside to decorate..all day long was spent on food preparation and decorating the tree. After dinner, always the same traditional spread of cold cuts, snowflake rolls and an assortments of salads..(potato, tuna noodle, shrimp)....we would settle under the tree and open all our presents...before bed..we gathered our family presents into small piles and cleared a spot for Santa to leave gifts...

OK..I think the Christmas Spirit is finally starting to creep in...Thanks Judy for getting me thinking of something happy!!!!!!

Susan
Farm Sister#3632

-Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  2:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Judy ... singing -- thanks for the memories .... (There actually were some good times.)

Oh, quickly --- I (still singing) reeeally must goooo ....

Christmas Morning:

Christmas stockings: A Bobbsey Twin book, a little doll dressed in the costume of a country in a far-away land (someplace Santa had just been) ... crayons and coloring book ... paperdolls and a few other goodies.

Then ....

off to Auntie Ina (my mother's sister) and Uncle Ray's house - a long way away - at least five miles! (Five cousins there, for starters.) My mother had six sibling and they all had kids ... most of them would arrive there, too. Lots of food, another present ... but then! Uncle Ray would haul out this big reel-to-reel movie projector and we would get to watch CARTOONS for about 2 hours! Then we would play Scrabble and Monopoly ... eat some more (I was still a skinny, really skinny kid) ... and bundle up to go home .... but first we had to dig the cars out of the snow. It was fun. I learned some very colorful words while the grownups were digging out the cars (in the dark - with flashlights)

Candy Canes, Sugar Plums and Chocolate Kisses

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  2:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you everyone for your prayers and concerns....Just wanted to drop in and say ankle is getting some better...I can at least rest it on the floor now, which I couldn't do earlier in the week...haven't tried to put any pressure on it yet...

Darlys, cold is gone, back isn't hurting...soo just dealing with the ankle...thank you for caring...and please if anything changes with the surgery date let me know...

DEC BIRTHDAYS...ok everyone....JUST IN CASE I can't get to my craft table to make birthday cards please know my prayers are with C.J, Debra E, Holly and Thelma....but I do believe I will be able to get to them before C.J.'s birthday comes on the 17th...I am making myself behave and stay in bed with foot elevated...like a very good girl.....which is very hard for me...isn't that right Darlys...????lol

Oh, someone tell me about the flowers Darlys and Dianne got....where did they come from...wasn't me...promise...but since I am so far behind and seems I keep missing posts....can't sit at this computer long because foot not doing well hanging down...so back to the bed and elevate the foot...

Beautiful pics of our 50's farmgirls...thanks for sharing...DH is taking good care of me....bless his heart...he has walked more this week than he has all last month...I think it is telling on his back and legs some....I got to get better so he doesn't have to keep this up....but he is being so sweet...my son comes in tomorrow...hope I will be able to get up for a little while and spend time with him outside at the bon fire....I promise I will keep my foot elevated...somehow...guess he is going to have to come and sit with me in the bedroom for a bit too...

Thanks again ladies for all the love and support....love ya all bunches.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  2:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Hello gfs--we need to create our own prayer circle and hold hands and put our darling darlys in the center of the circle and pray over her - you are covered, Darlys, don't give it another thought.

If I ever had any doubt you gals are my very own true blue sisters, your stories about your UFO's (unfinished objects) leaves no doubt - I wonder who has the most stuff sitting in a box, basket or under the bed waiting to be finished. I think it might be me - I've had more years to do it. It remains a mystery how I have the enthusiasm to start something but not to finish it.

My best childhood memory is every year my two brothers and I going off through the woods with our Grandpa to pick the perfect tree, of course it was just a cedar tree but we didn't know the difference - he would patiently wait, we would walk this way and that until we finally all agreed on the perfect tree. Then he would chop it down and drag it to Grandma's house, and set it up in the front room window. They had an old dresser that had been handed down to them, I think it came on the wagon train and in the bottom drawer were the few decorations we had. My favorite aunt who was a glamour girl of the 50's would breeze in from Houston for Christmas and whip up soap flakes somehow with an egg beater, and that would be the snow on the tree. She managed to have enough money to bring icicles for the tree and always had gifts for us. She was a single gal in the 50's and I don't know how she did it but somehow she did. My mother gave me that old dresser a few years ago and when I opened it up there was an ornament hanger stuck in the crack of the bottom drawer and I had to sit down and cry. I keep my special ornaments in there now. My uncle would always bring a big bag of fireworks for us on Christmas Eve for his contribution, and we were as poor as Dolly Parton says she was, but nobody could have better memories than those Christmases at Grandma and Grandpa's. It was so cold and we never could sleep Christmas Eve. With so many family members coming home there wasn't enough covers or beds, we just made do. Mama always slept with me because she said I was like a little oven. Guess I've been having those hot surges or whatever my whole life. Daddy was always off drinking and we were glad he was not there. These were my mother's people so he couldn't ruin our good time. My grandma made the best turkey and cornbread dressing that ever has been made. My mother ran a close second and I tried but nobody could make food taste as good as Grandma's.

If you (ahem...)ladies want to see where we are going in Mexico you can google Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Playa del Carmen and the pictures will come up. Look at the one of the beach and all the palm trees, that is where I spend my time when not stuffing my face at one of the restaurants. waitaminute--did somebody say the dirty word DIET???? forget about it. Not gonna happen.

I agree now Holly is the one we are going to have to watch. Who woulda thunk it. Of course there are a couple of newbies we will have to watch, Darlys, until we see how well they can misbehave. The Riu serves these lovely blue drinks with something special in them that tends to make one relaxed and uninhibited, altho some (you know who you are) won't need those.
love and blessings to you all, Penny, so glad you are doing some better, lucky you to have DH taking such good care of you. a couple of you posted while I was working on mine. Dianne when I first started posting I thought someone had a husband named DH and then I noticed everybody had one so I figured it out but some of the other shorthand used I still don't know.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Dec 08 2011 3:07:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  3:12:14 PM  Show Profile
Chris, I also enjoyed your marvelous tea house story--I really love all the longer posts - they always make me feel like I'm along having a good time, too, don't anybody stop doing that. If one of us is too busy to read and respond to all, we can just catch up when we can, or not. It's all so much fun to read even when there isn't time to write. We don't want anybody to feel like they can't keep up - you don't have to keep up, just jump in with a word or two, and tell your stories whenever you can. Ask for prayers any time you need to. I too am wondering about Jake and his recovery from the bike accident, do need an update there.

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Dec 08 2011 3:14:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  5:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I did see the beautiful blue sky today. We had enough snow to cover the grass and mud so the ground looks so clean. the trees and vines are beautiful with the sun shining on them. I need to take my camera to the neighbors they have vines of bittersweet and they must look gorgeous with a dressing of snow.

yes, my stupid arrogant son is 19. I think he was dealing himself and thought he was above the law or that because these people were dealers as well that they would not call the cops. He was picked up with his buddies before he arrived back at the apartment. I believe he is serving 2 to6 with conditions. I think the conditions may include anger management classes and drug classes. I am not very compassionate towards him right now. He has been very me centered. He did not contact us for a long time after he was caught. We found out about it because a friend called and said she saw him on the TV. I am hoping that this stay in the slammer will make him want to be a contributing member of society instead of a leach. He is a great talker so only time will tell. He wrote and told me he was reading his Bible three times a day. I congratulated him and told him he should starrt with the ten commandments and the golden rule.

I am sorry about Glenda's tomato plants. That must truly have been a hard frost if it killed through the covering of the green house. I found today at Kinney drugs the ICool pills for night sweats that were recommended. I hope they work.

I am not sure at all why you would think that I am the quiet good girl of the bunch. When the children are not around and I do not need to set an example I am the life. Each year I attend and teach at an adult Girl Scout event at the camp I grew up in. A group of us from Vermont go and we are remembered year after year and the women are happy to see us. We set the tone for the weekend and it is not a quiet one at all. We are loud and work hard to make sure that even the quietest women are made to feel a part of our shenanigans. After all we as women are always the caretakers sometimes we need to let go and laugh our way to relaxation.

My childhood memories of winter holidays. When we were little my paternal grandmother used to come visit. She stayed in my room and I slept on the roll a way in my younger brother's room.. We played tiger. I would stand on the end of his bed frame and yowl and jump on him. We had a great time.

Christmas eve my older brother would play the piano and we would all sing carols. We would drink egg nog. It was the only time of year we had it.

Darlys I also read the Bobbsey twins and collected dolls from other countries. I had copies of the Bobbsey twins that were my mother's and some that were my sisters.

I think that all of our writing skills are improving. I know that mine are.

Are there coconut trees in Mexico? are they ripe this time of year? Maybe we could have climbing races while we are there. It would be a scene of great amusement.

We decorate our tree on the eve as well. Always have.

Sweet dreams everyone

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  5:56:18 PM  Show Profile
my mother's parents lived in louisville. every other Christmas we would put on our jammies, load into the station wagon and my pick my dad up after he got off work at the bank. the bank was right beside an art supply store and i would look in the window at the Christmas display while we waited for dad to come out. then we were off into the winter night. no superhighways in those days--just head south on US 31 and stay on it. we had certain landmarks we always watched for--the utility company with peppy the flame flashing in neon, the teepee restaurant on the south side of indianapolis, the flamingo hotel with it's huge neon flamingo. my brother and i would play in the back of the station wagon and ultimately curl up in the makeshift bed mom had made and drift off to sleep to the hum of the car motor. i still sleep the best in the car. someone should invent a bed that makes you feel like you are riding in a car. most of the time we were fast asleep when we crossed the river into kentucky, but we usually woke up soon after and looked at the Christmas lights as we wound through the neighborhoods to "maw-maw's house". usually we were the last family to arrive, and the tree was up by the time we got there. then it was upstairs to the lumpy old day bed and off to sleep until morning. the time spent there was always fun--but the trip was pure magic to me. chris

not a boy--long story
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  8:02:21 PM  Show Profile
I've decided to take Glenda's advice and not try to keep up because if I am only getting on here once a week, it will take forever to catch up! So I'm starting at the end and working backwards!

Hello Ladies!

Penny - I do hope your ankle is better soon. When your son gets there, go sit by the bonfire and tell him to find you a "tree stump" or have him bring out another chair for your foot! I'll find out later what you did to it. (I'm reading backwards)

Darlys, sounds like you had great Christmas's! Also, "...I can pack on pounds just reading cookbooks", LOL! I'm reading a book that is very interesting and as you read along all of a sudden the women starts giving you a recipe of how her Mom made such and such back in the 1870's! It's called The Country Kitchen by Dellal T. Lutes. It was published in 1936. Your comment made me think of putting on weight reading this book
! Sadly I don't need more pounds I need less, many many less!

Dianne - DH, hilarious! Leave it to a guy to think that, lol.

Holly - You never hog the board, you are very interesting and raising all those kids is honorable and loving I think. I feel like you do and have always wondered, if we are going to be so regulated, then why do we need a license to drive, fish, hunt, but not to have or raise kids! Living in a rural, poor County, I just want to pick up a lot of them and bring them home!

Janie - You must decorate for the holidays! Even if something little. I use to make "Christmas in a Box" or whatever holiday it was and give it to people like you, or elderly people, so they at least had SOMETHING to get them into the holiday spirit! Email me your address, you might get one.

Susan - I am so glad you dropped back in and let us know what is going on in your family! I will certainly pray for you and keep positive thoughts sent your way! The poem is beautiful. Let this be a place you can come and leave your problems and find love and friendship.

Chris - The Teahouse makes me want to have one in my backyard, it sounds like the perfect getaway for a day!

Ok Holly, Darlys, Glenda, and everyone else going - I'm ready to go! My swimsuit is always packed in my car; I just bought some lip balm made with goats milk that tastes like Margarieta's and found lots of sun screen cleaning up my garage from my daughter "Getting rid of" stuff she didn't need. The ocean had better be warmer than Maines! I will confess here too, I am wild! I have never grown up and you get me there and I will have you guys doing things you never thought you'd ever do! I'm like a 25 year old in a 57 year old body! Well I'm a little tamed having been with the DH for 30+ years, but I try not to be.

Actually it has been so warm here it's scary. The chicken coop pen is all mud and I do mean mud! A little colder would be good. By the time I get to the coop my feet are wet and muddy even the grass is full of water. We have had such warm weather and lots of rain. This morning it was warmer than San Antonio!

Glenda - I love your Christmas story! It gives me the warm fuzzies actually. After my Dad died we had a strange life and were certainly finacially poor but I was to dumb and happy to know it. I would have fit right in! Those memories sound wonderful!

Ok, time for bed. Have a great weekend!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  06:10:24 AM  Show Profile
Hello. Can hardly believe it is Friday this week has gone by so quickly for me. Speaking of unfinished crafts and art projects, I have so many on my list. I have these little stacks all around my sewing room waiting to be finished. I am taking them one at a time and then a new one comes along and I put it ahead of the others. Right now I am getting the feeling that I want to make an art doll or do some fabric art and I have to force myself to get through Dec. first.

Remembering Christmas as a child makes me laugh because my parents were such characters. My father was Jewish, my mother Catholic. He celebrated Christmas with us so we always had a tree and opened our presents celebrated as others do. Christmas eve we went over to our neighbors across the street. We sang Christmas carols and had apple cider there. It was always so much fun. And I always remember going downtown into Los Angles, CA to see the decorated windows in the department store windows. Then we would go and eat and this special restaurant that had a neon lit palm tree inside the place. It was the only time we ever got to eat there.

Penny, I am glad to hear that your feeling better and that your cold is over with. Keep taking care of the ankle.

Okay, I am ready for the trip. I am excited about the pool guys. I have my yellow polka dotted bikini ready and the places we are going to stay sound so great. This is going to be so much fun. Can I bring my ukelele? It won't take up much room, honest. Even though we won't be in Hawaii we could still use it for some music.

Dianne, that is a funny story. I laughed that your DH would think that. Sometimes my hubby thinks he is a dumb husband but he is always my dear husband.

Our Mr. Kitty is quite the little hunter. Yesterday he caught and ate a little mouse. I was surprise that he ate the mouse. I never thought he would do that. He was quite content after that and seemed very proud of himself if I may say so. In the late afternoon he brought a small black racer to the back door and set it down. The racer curled up and played dead. Mr. Kitty walked away leaving his "gift" there for us I suppose. It wasn't hurt so DH put it in the bushes on the side of the house. After having such a fruitful day of hunting Mr. Kitty came in at 5:30 p.m. and after eating a little plopped himself in a chair and fell asleep.

My important day consisted of catching up on housework, errands, letterwriting and ironing. I did make a nice dinner. We had a big salad with lots of veggies and a homemade pizza with cheeses, olives, peppers, mushrooms, meat and onions.

Holly, I am sorry you are having hard time with your son. My son had a hard time for a while and finally matured in his mid twenties. He went on and became a stable person with a family and profession. Things between us are not good since I have remarried and we are estranged. He has overcome many of his problems from his childhood.

Have a wonderful weekend. Keep warm.

Hugs and more hugs. Love you all,

Nancy #2301 xoxo

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  06:10:41 AM  Show Profile
hi gf,
just goggled where we are going in Mexico and it is gorgous! i am so excited and have decided i need another swimsuit. and i am so glad that you mentioned lip balm, i had fogotten all about that! Even with the extra items i am bringing i am sure i will fit in the suitcase somewhere. and i am definetly up for climing coconut trees! i love to climb trees.
i am going to make chicken and dumplings this weekend and see if i can find the felt to make that poinsettia pillow, if not i will probably work on my cross stitch sampler. It a memorial sampler and it fits my dh really well - just have to change the name and dates on it.
well better get to work - be back soon!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  06:10:56 AM  Show Profile
Hello. Can hardly believe it is Friday this week has gone by so quickly for me. Speaking of unfinished crafts and art projects, I have so many on my list. I have these little stacks all around my sewing room waiting to be finished. I am taking them one at a time and then a new one comes along and I put it ahead of the others. Right now I am getting the feeling that I want to make an art doll or do some fabric art and I have to force myself to get through Dec. first.

Remembering Christmas as a child makes me laugh because my parents were such characters. My father was Jewish, my mother Catholic. He celebrated Christmas with us so we always had a tree and opened our presents celebrated as others do. Christmas eve we went over to our neighbors across the street. We sang Christmas carols and had apple cider there. It was always so much fun. And I always remember going downtown into Los Angles, CA to see the decorated windows in the department store windows. Then we would go and eat and this special restaurant that had a neon lit palm tree inside the place. It was the only time we ever got to eat there.

Penny, I am glad to hear that your feeling better and that your cold is over with. Keep taking care of the ankle.

Okay, I am ready for the trip. I am excited about the pool guys. I have my yellow polka dotted bikini ready and the places we are going to stay sound so great. This is going to be so much fun. Can I bring my ukelele? It won't take up much room, honest. Even though we won't be in Hawaii we could still use it for some music.

Dianne, that is a funny story. I laughed that your DH would think that. Sometimes my hubby thinks he is a dumb husband but he is always my dear husband.

Our Mr. Kitty is quite the little hunter. Yesterday he caught and ate a little mouse. I was surprise that he ate the mouse. I never thought he would do that. He was quite content after that and seemed very proud of himself if I may say so. In the late afternoon he brought a small black racer to the back door and set it down. The racer curled up and played dead. Mr. Kitty walked away leaving his "gift" there for us I suppose. It wasn't hurt so DH put it in the bushes on the side of the house. After having such a fruitful day of hunting Mr. Kitty came in at 5:30 p.m. and after eating a little plopped himself in a chair and fell asleep.

My important day consisted of catching up on housework, errands, letterwriting and ironing. I did make a nice dinner. We had a big salad with lots of veggies and a homemade pizza with cheeses, olives, peppers, mushrooms, meat and onions.

Holly, I am sorry you are having hard time with your son. My son had a hard time for a while and finally matured in his mid twenties. He went on and became a stable person with a family and profession. Things between us are not good since I have remarried and we are estranged. He has overcome many of his problems from his childhood.

Have a wonderful weekend. Keep warm.

Hugs and more hugs. Love you all,

Nancy #2301 xoxo

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page