Page: of 218

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  5:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
I went to look for the I-Cool today, but when I saw it was over $21.00 decided I would have to wait till later...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  05:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
I missed one day and so much went on.
Judy- I am so sorry to hear about your shingles. I have never had them but know they can be extremely painful. I did not know that they can show up on on the head or inside the nose or mouth. How dreadful.

Welcome Dianne. This is a wonderful group of ladies so stay with us.

Yesterday while our cat was sitting on our back patio under a chair, the neighbor cat came up and attacked him. I heard them outside and chased their cat off. It is the second time their cat has done this and he has attacked two other cats also. My DH went over to these people and talked to the wife. She said she leaves him out because his poo is big and smells up the house. There other 3 cats are okay inside but this one is so big.... My husband said she didn't seem to care that this cat was so mean and agressive. We went to the animal control service and reported it so they can send someone out to talk to these people about controlling their cat. I don't think they have their cats licensed which makes me wonder if they have any vaccines for them. i.e. rabies. Our cat, Mr. Kitty, was so frightened at first he wouldn't go back outside. finally after about 2 hours he went out with the dog and is okay now.

I finally go to make some oatmeal cookies for my dear hubby. He was so happy as they are his favorite. The house smells so good. I try so hard not to eat any because of the wheat but I do eat the little bits that fall off the cookies. What I have the most trouble with when I make the cookies is Leon eating that raw dough. I usually make them in the morning early while he is still sleeping.

Glenda congrats on your membership to MJF. One of the best things I have done.

Many hugs to you all

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  05:25:36 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, good morning!
Sunbeams will soon smile through.
Good mornin', good morning',
Good mornin', my darlin', to you! - Judy Garland

Good morning. I can just tell it is going to be a wonderful day. I have started my to-do-list, but I think I will have to get a bigger sheet of paper. Yesterday I sure did not accomplish much. Was weigh in at WW. I still had a little over a 1/2lb loss, even after a couple people tried to sabotage me...lol. But with hubby gone I should do well this week. So much easier to stay on a light diet with him not here. I had to travel 48 miles to the city to weigh in. I love it, It gives me a weekly excuse to go to the city. I took my sil along and we stopped in at Dierbergs (a grocery chain) and bought some organic produce. They had spotted bananas in peck bags for 99¢ each. I bought 6 bags. There were probably an easy 15 bananas in a bag. I brought them home and kept 8 nice, non spotted out to eat fresh and froze the rest. Will make lots of smoothies. My daughter suggested I blend the frozen bananas in the blender so they are an ice cream consistency and eat it like ice cream. Hubby and I have been making the ice cream quite frequently. My granddaughters put Hershey's syrup on them. But what a wonderful WW snack. We stopped by Micheal's while we were out to buy some beads and craft supplies. We found a small diner called "Lo Cal Cafe" and had a delicious healthy lunch. The diner had quotes and sayings on the walls. I loved reading the walls. Some were worth repeating for sure.
3 choices in life...
Give up
Give in
Or give it all you got!

I choose to give it all I got!
I got the lab results of my blood work and my cholesterol levels are high so I am going to try to work on them before I go back to the dr and she tries to put me on meds. Any suggestions on lowering cholesterol levels? They are not so extreme that it is an urgency. I will give it 6 months of a diet and exercise change before I give in.

Lynn - "Old-fashioned" aprons...do you mean 1/2 aprons that just go around the waist? I have recycled kitchen curtains into 1/2 aprons by making a tie and running it through the rod pocket. You can make some adorable aprons with kitchen curtains.

Brenda - What awesomeness to be on the football field with your grandson! I bet you had tummy flutters for sure. Did you cry? It made me what to cry happy tears reading your post. I know how proud you were and bittersweet knowing this is his last year. What a memory to cherish forever.

Betty- My hubby cut out a bush in our front yard before he left for Ohio. I will be all week burning up the pile of brush. It was a huge bush and he wanted it cut down as soon as we moved here and I bucked him on it. I kinda suggested maybe we should go ahead and cut it down and he didn't even give me a chance to change my mind. He had his boots on and was out there in minutes with the saw.

Glenda- I have never heard of a shingles shot. I am a firm believer in "Prevention is the best medicine".

Well ladies, off to do my chores and start marking off on my list. Have a wonderful blessed day.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Oct 12 2011 05:35:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

lynnschlicht1961
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

lynn
swartz creek michigan
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  06:27:07 AM  Show Profile
Patty...what i want to make are more the smock kind that is tied around the waist, 2 pockets, no buttons

it's not such a beautiful day in the neighborhood today...cloudy, rain later and getting colder. we had agood run of indian summer though

i'm getting in the mood to have a fall party. think i should invite some of the neighbors and have a harvest party. this weekend would be a good time to make the first squash pie of the season and "practice" before we have a party :)

The following would be my 2 cents on Shingles (I worked in immunization planning and health for 10 years)

the shingles vaccine is called Zostavax...shingles are a result of an outbreak of Varicella Zoster virus, the same thing that causes chicken pox, it remains in the body after we have had chickenpox, you can only get shingles if you have had chickenpox, the vaccine is recommended for people over the age of 60 and only a single dose is needed...end of my 2 cent talk
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  08:02:53 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, thanks for enlightening us on the shingles vaccine. I never knew they was such a thing. And it is good information for those over 60 to discuss with their dr.

I was discussing a fall party with hubby...I thought it would be a good way to get the kids home for a visit...lol.

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  09:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Dianne: welcome to the board. we are a lively bunch, so come back and share real soon. :)

Lynn: thanks for the info on the shingles vaccine. i filed it for later use.

Brenda: thanks for sharing. it touched my heart.

Made apple jelly (got 5 pints) and 9 cups of apple butter yesterday. the butter cooked for 2 days in my crockpot and man o man, is it nice and thick. my hubby says I'm spoiling him and he will be a butterball before spring. he can't stop himself so it's his fault. ;)

have a great day, ladies. :)

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  10:46:34 AM  Show Profile
According to information I just read, the shingles shot is only for people who have never had shingles. Drat!! I can't go get the shot once this clears up!! :(
These pills upset my stomach,kill the appetite and make me sleepy!A lousy way to lose weight, and I can only lay around so much before the back complains! *sigh*
Patty, love the saying....and ...yes....I choose "Give it all you got too!" Can't keep a FarmGal down! haha

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  12:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Patty - I love to "see" us singing in the morning! And I've jotted down: Give Up - Give In - Give It All You've Got ... on a post-it and stuck it up on the fridge. I really like that!

I've never had chicken pox - so I guess I don't need the shingles shot. But my cousin's husband (78) just had a bad case of them (1st time) last year. She got the shot - he didn't. He was so miserable. She wasn't very sympathetic as he had refused to get the shot.

Patsy - The apple butter and jelly sounds wonderful.

Judy - you are in my prayers, gf, I only wish there were something more I could do.

Nancy - Oatmeal cookies are my favs, too. I can actually pass up a chocolate chipper (unless it's right out of the oven) but oatmeal cookies are my weakness.

Lynn - you are a treasure.

It's a nice day here today, too. Guess it's supposed to start turning soon. But although we've had a bit of rain we can't actually say we have autumn weather yet. I'm ready.

Got much to do today. I have to get my volunteer schedules out for our annual Junque Sale. About 20 churches and 150 or so volunteers get together the first Saturday of November every year to raise money to fill a community food pantry and provide emergency relief. I've been heading this out for 34 years now. This is my last year as next year we will move to Oakhurst permanently when Larry retires. So, I have been passing off many of the jobs I've been doing ... and this 'Saturday Schedule' is the last thing I have to turn over. Right now the woman who will be doing it in the future has panicked as she isn't a very patient person. She's very competent, but volunteers need to be listened to and cared for and appreciated. But she will do it next year and I'm sure she will be fine. (I was hoping she would do it this year - but, oh well.) Anyway, that is what my day holds - I have about 60-70 folks left to contact for working at the sale on Saturday's schedule. (The Set Up Volunteers are already on board - if they give me 3 hours or more help-time anytime during the set up or sale, they get to pre-shop). Pre-shopping is a huge draw since we fill the church rafter to rafter with good stuff ... upscale junk, rummage, etc that we've been collecting all year. We even have to have our book area under canopies outside - no space for it inside. Our prices are really low (cause it's all gotta go.) Anyway, my dear farmgirl buds ... I better get to it.

Chocolate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  12:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Judy...I know many people who have gotten The Shingles shot after they had shingles. BECAUSE...I hate to tell you this girlfriend but they come back. Maybe not in the same place or as bad...but any time I have a real high stress time...I break out with a patch on my legs. BUT you can not get the shot unless you are 60 or older. That is why I haven't gotten mine yet. But I am going to...as soon as I turn 60 in just a few more days.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  1:38:35 PM  Show Profile
I've had shingles before, but it was years ago and it was on my bum(giggle),but never thought they would spring up in my mouth...."from one end to tother!" hahaha
Well, I have 4 more years to go before I can get that shot.
uggggghhh!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Sheila Rose
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Sheila
Gloucester Ma
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  3:35:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ann2144

I am 51, and from what I have seen on the postings, I think a lot of us Farmgirls are in the bright shiny middle years of life! How many of you are over 50?

Love Each Other

Ann Farmgirl #2144

I,m 61 and love my farm girl time. Better times are ahead!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  5:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

Yesterday and the day before the weather was delightful. Temperatures in the 70's. Today the highs were in the fifties. A bit brisk. The sun would come out and off my sweatshirt would go and the clouds float across the sky and on the sweatshirt would go.

I had big plans for the weekend to finish the screenhouse and start the house for the guineas but the guy who is remaking our porch said the more ripping off of the old decking I did the less we would have to pay him. So, I spent, and the boys helped when they were home, the weekend ripping off the old decking and the plywood underneath. We have a garage with a deck on top of it. The whole attachment was put on in 1986 and the decking was splintery. The more I ripped off the more I could see that the water had leaked through the rubber roofing and onto the support wood. The job is much bigger than we originally anticipated. But, better to do it now than when the rot did alot more damage.

I am really sorry Judy that you have shingles. I have heard they are very painful.

I started to get AARP mailings at 48. It was bery kind of them to wait until you were 55 to send them along. I have started to set the timer on the stove whenever I cook something that I might leave the kitchen before it is done. The loud buzzer or annoying beep calls my attention to what I may have forgotten.

Darlys asked about my family. We have adopted 9 children. Five are old enough to be out of the house but one of that age group still lives at home. So, there are five children at home. We also have two adult special needs foster women who have lived with me for more than 27 years.

We live far enough away from our neighbors to not have to deal with their cats. I have been known to have a cat snipped if it starts hanging out at my house on aregular basis and I do not care whose cat it is. I have done someone's dog as well. There is a spay and neuter clinic in Montpelier that will snip a male for $15 dollars and a female for $25. Although if you have financial hardship then they will do it for free. Some grant program to reduce the cat and dog populations so the animal shelters will be less overwhelmed. I think Nancy if it were my neighbors cat I would have him snipped.

I read the posts last night and thought oh I ahve something to say about that and that and then I went to bed and now I can not for the life of me remember what I had to say.

Have a good night everyone.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  5:45:33 PM  Show Profile
OMGoodness....just a week ago I burned a whole pot of beans....PeeeeUuuuuu!!!DH had just eaten a dish of them proclaiming how good they were and could I please fix him a bowl for work the next day. I left him a note and told him the rest of them had burned.Next day ...he was smart 'nuff not to ask me anything!! Very smart man!!lol I had to open the windows and turn the fan outwards. Luckily it worked and I didn't have a smell in the house next day! ~~whew~~hahahaha
Hi Sheila and Welcome to the nut house! hahhahaha

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Oct 12 2011 5:47:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  6:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone and welcome to the new gals. I tried to post yesterday and it never would do anything and Internet explorer timed out and I lost my post. darn, and double darn. Well here I am again and hope it goes through this time. It's a busy week for me getting ready to leave Monday for NC. The label is on the quilt, the wedding sampler is pressed and rolled in a round container so I can frame it when I get there and my top is almost done. I just have hem, bottonholes and buttons and it's done. Wheee!

It's turned hot again but is supposed to be cooler by weekend. We're getting some yardwork done today and tomorrow. We moved the raised bed I use for my tomatoes as it was too close to a Russian Sage that grows huge every year even though we cut it back. We'll buy more 2x12's tomorrow and make three more beds that we can give shade to and keep our summer veggies cooler. Out heat and sun just sucks them dry.

Sorry to hear about all the shingles. Blessedly I've never had them. I make soy candles and soy is pure vitamin E and since soy melts at a lower temp than reg candles do you can dip your fdiingers in the melted soy and rub it in your skin. It feels so good and isn't oily at all. It works so good for various skin conditions.

I'm going to share two photos of baby afghans I am working on. The pink and white is finished and the other is about halfway. They're for gr gr grandbabies. A little girl due in Dec and we don't know about the other yet except it's due in April and my first. The other is hubby's third. TeeHee he's older than me.

Have a good evening everyone, Hugs, Betty

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2011 :  10:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
My computer has been so slow the last two days...I haven't even been able to get on here at times...hope this one goes through..

Hey Dianne, welcome to the best group on MJF...I know you will enjoy it here as much as I do...you will never find a more loving, caring, funny and crazy group of ladies.

Connie, I am sorry to hear about your MS...bless you...and about the emails...about a week ago I stopped getting my emails too...Peggy said to make sure I was signed on...anyway...two days after I said something I started getting them again......strange...but if you don't get them tomorrow...contact Brian at the farm he will be able to find out for you.

Darlys, you are welcome girl...glad to do it...I'm glad you have a good DR. that wants to take care of everything at once. I had a hysterectomy when I was 23.

Patty, thank you...I am so lucky to have you as my farmgirl sister...DH and I have been praying for guidance...I sure would like to get out from under this stress. Still praying...

My sweet Judy,, I really wish there was something I could do for you...I'm sending you lots of good thoughts and {{{{hugs}}}}...I sure hope you start feeling better soon.

Betty, your outfit sounds very pretty to me...I wish I could sew clothes with button...this in one of the million times I really miss my Momma...she could do anything...I love the blankets, I am making one for a friend of mine for her new baby due in Jan.

Lynn, I want to make an old fashion apron too...like my great grandmother use to wear...a full apron...I haven't been able to find a pattern like the one I want, but did find someone on here that makes the style I want...but I just can't afford it right now...maybe someday.

Brenda, Ohhhh I know you are so proud of your grandson...such a great feeling you must of had to see him run through that banner..

I really need to get to bed...but so much negative around here the last few days...with that ummmm, never mind...I'm going to be nice...no need lowering myself to her level, right? We have to get the stress of that company off us...take if from me ladies, oh and to clear this up, this happened before I came into the family, anyway, Take it from me ladies, "DON'T EVER GO INTO BUSINESS WITH FAMILY"

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Oct 13 2011 06:08:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  02:12:32 AM  Show Profile
Good morning... today I am going to get alot accomplished. I need to keep repeating this. Because yesterday I did not get diddly squat accomplished. I sat down with another cup of coffee after I posted here to write my MIL a letter. I send her a hand written letter once or twice a week. It means so much to her and I have easily become her favorite DIL :) My SIL phoned and when we discussed what all I wanted to get accomplished, it started to rain. I complained that any plans outside wouldn't happen. She told me that I probably wouldn't get much done with having to go to St Louis anyway. Oh no, thank goodness she called. I forgot I had to take an elderly couple (her 83 and he 90)to a Dr in St Louis. Of course I moaned and groaned a little bit, because it takes my entire day. But it is like going to church. Somedays you hate to drag your butt, but you always feel better and glad you did. I had a good time with them. The rain stopped before we started our drive so I didn't have to stress about the wet roads. I didn't get home until about 7:30 pm. It was a long day. But hey, I don't work I might as well relax and spend the day with them.

Sheila - Welcome to a lovely group of ladies. I have not belonged to this group long but I am so glad I ran across them. They made me feel right at home.

Lynn - I understand the type of Apron you want. I have an old one around here that you are welcome to have for a pattern. Though it may take me a few days to locate it...lol.

Patsy- The apple butter sounds delicious. I imagine the smells in your home about now beat any candle or air freshener that you could ever buy.

Judy - Get well quick. I think I would rather have shingles on my bum.

Darlys- Junque Sale- wow what a whole lotta work! You must have great organizing skills. I sure don't think I could pull it off. Junque I suppose is a fancy word for Junk?

Glenda - I am still wishing I were 40. 25 yrs old was traumatic for me because I knew 30 was around the corner. How silly! But yes, now I am thankful for each one that I have because the more birthdays I have, the longer I get the gift of living on God's earth.

Holly - What a houseful! And what a blessing to have a house so full of love!
When I read the post Holly, I have to take notes so I don't forget who, what, when and where...lol.

Betty- The afghans are beautiful. I love to sew and craft but never could get into crocheting or knitting. I so wish I could do both. But then again I always wanted to learn to play the piano and didn't. All those things are on the bottom of my bucket list.

Well. it is 4:11 here right now. I am going to start on my "inside" list before day breaks. Have a wonderful day.

Patty #1840

Edited by - thebyrdhaus on Oct 13 2011 02:14:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  05:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Patty...it's a good thing you remembered (with a little help) that you had plans for the day. So nice of you to help that older couple out. And it sounds like their friendship blessed your day too.
I am going to attempt getting my laundry done today! I hate laundry...because I don't have a washer/dryer in my Apartment have to use a Laundry Room. Such a pain.

Betty...the baby blankets are gorgeous! You do such lovely work.

Darlys...I bet your are chin high in Junque about now. What a lot of work you do...for a good cause!

Penny...I will take all the hugs that I can get. I feel a bit better because my husband (who hates the very
thought of moving) said he thinks we should move out of this building and area too. We have been here for four years and it is in a lovely rural setting...but it would be better if I was in town where my friends are and where younger people are. I could go out of the house more and feel more alive again. I am going to call a friend about some apartments to view next week. Yeah! The hunt is on! And again...I will down-size once more. Have to take advantage of each move. I love the feeling of setting up a new home and getting rid of more "stuff".

Glenda...my husband was a member of CASA too. Like you...he found he wanted to work one on one with children. Advocating for them...was just not good enough...he didn't see great results because our system is so broken! After his life was seriously threatened several times...he quit and went back into being a Family and Marriage Couselor. He found that much more rewarding for the many years he did that.

Judy...I think I would rather have shingles on my bum than in my mouth, head and ears. Poor baby! I bet you feel like taking your tooth-brush and scratching the dickens out of your mouth. Don't! But I really can't see how you would get any relief. Not fun! Did you come down with flu like symptoms first? I did....and I thought that was so weird.

I was just in the middle of typing this post when my computer decided on it's own to shut down and re-configure itself. But bless it's little heart it restored my webpage too or it might have found itself thrown out my bedroom window! LOL

I woke up at 4:45 this morning. Wish I could go up and use the Laundry room this early...but that wouldn't be polite to my neighbors. When I can go up there...I will probably want to go back to bed instead. Oh, well I am on nobody's time table but the good Lord's and mine.

Have a great day Ladies!

blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  06:11:01 AM  Show Profile
I am going to encourage our farmgirl sisterhood group to be included in this project for sending a hand written letter to our deployed military members. I think this is a great idea. I have had 4 military children. I know things like this meant alot to them. Please check it out and consider joining the effort.

http://mxp.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/12/the-big-thank-you-send-a-letter-to-a-service-member/

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  09:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick note before I have to leave to take hubby's car in again. They fixed the heater/ac that would only blow cold air - no heat at all - so that it now blows only very hot air - no cool at all. Something is wrong with a the regulator (which they replaced to fix the other problem). This is making me cranky.

Hey all you gals who are having problems losing your posts to various gremlins ... since I found "sticky notes" in that multi-colored ball on the dock (this computer has Windows) I can toodle along your posts (hopefully not missing any) and when I'm done "thinking and writing" here - I just copy, paste and post to the farm. I decided to try this after a couple of exasperating experiences and so far it's working great. It's always right here so I don't have to go in and out of Word to compose.

Got to dash, hope they fix the problem right this time. I'll pop back by later and do my "chatting."

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  3:38:10 PM  Show Profile

Got the cutest Birthday Card in the mail today from Marilyn Edlund. Even the envelope was happy and cute. Just
had to take a picture...they lifted my Spirits (the Halloween kind too). Today was a FUN Farmgirl Mail Day!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  3:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Thank you for the welcome. This is all new to me. I have never been one to talk to people on the computer. I'm the face to face kind of person, but I am still young enough to learn.

I have been the hysterectomy rout. The doctor told me the same thing. Better to fix it all now than have to do it later. When he asked me how many children I told him 6. He said six pregnancies could be the reason for the fix - up job. I told him it wasn't 6 pregnancies only 5. Two of them were a package deal. He laughed and said well that explaines a lot.
It was not a lot of fun but I do feel better and I am a lot more active now than before. I will keep you in my prayers as January gets here.

There's little about me. I also have 7 grandchildren, 4 boys and 3 girls. They are a lot of fun and keep me and the hubby busy.

By for now
Dianne
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  5:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

It rained off and on all day. We had beef and bean soup with corn muffins for supper. It was quite tasty if I do say so myself.

The baby afghans were very pretty. I know two stitches but do not read crocheting directions yet. I should just sit down and figure them out but I have had no want to expand my crocheting repetoire yet. I am a pretty good knitter but I become extremely frustrated when a child pulls the needles out of the stitches. So, that is on hold.

I think I am an undiagnosed ADD because I can only do projects that show progress quickly. So, I like to change colors and stitches often. I like to make my own stitch patterns within the regular pattern outline.

Peggy I would be very frustrated having to go and use a laundry room. A long, long time ago I bought a washer and dryer from Sears so I would not have to go to the laudromat. maybe your new place will have a space for a washer and dryer. I know I read someplace a piece from a woman who had chronic fatigue and she changed her diet or took some suppplements or something and the symptoms subsided. I am looking for that article so I can pass along what worked for her. I would not handle your CFS and Fibro with as much grace as you seem too.

Darlys, I really like to go yard saling. If I lived closer I would be in line when your Junque sale opened.

Years ago I did foster care for regular children. I stopped because I could not emotionally handle the children being sent on to a place I did not think would be good for the child. When I accept a child now it is for the express purpose of adoption. Sometime I would like to be a CASA.

The trees are brilliant against the gray sky. It is good to smile at the beautiful colors even when the sky is so overcast.

Betty you making the blouse for the wedding reminds me of when my sister was married. My mother was sick and my sister came home to Massachusetts from Missouri to plan for her wedding. she told my mother she did not want her to have to make the effort to sew her a gown so off they went to Boston to find one. They brought home material and seed beads and satin and such. My sister flew back to Missouri and my mother made the gown. I came home from college to sew seed beads onto the veil and sleeves. The gown was beautiful. My mother was glad to make the gown.

Hope everyone had a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  5:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Dianne - I had one of those package deals. I have identical twin boys, Jake and John... now 25 years old. They were always a blessing. Never any more work than the others were alone.

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  6:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Good Grief! When is autumn going to arrive? It was 93 here today. I'm ready for sweater weather.

It appears that the car is fixed. Halleluah!

Patty, you were posting while I was composing! Those photos are absolutely adorable - and what cuties from start to 25!

Betty - remember I'll be looking for that picture of you in your grandma of the bride outfit! Those baby blankies are gorgeous! Ahhh - to have talent like yours.
DH is after me to find an arborist to come out and check out the trees on the Oakhurst acres. Also, to get some unreachable branches out that broke during the storms. He's not about to try climbing up there himself - and I'm glad of it. So one of these days ...
Hey, good info about soy candles ... but where do we get them.

Patty - the precious quilted postcard arrived today! Thank you! All you ladies are so creative and energetic - you really all are an inspiration to me. How about that? Most of my "role models" are much younger than me! I do so adore you all. And, lest I forget, Peggy, I have transferred all the info from last year onto that wonderful calendar you sent and have it tucked into my purse. I will probably be thanking you all from now and through forever for all you mean to me.

Well, well -- a birthday box - full of tomatoes from my youngest daughter's garden and some lavender salt and lavender pepper just arrived! I think, when a greeting from Ginger appears, I can put my birthday celebrating away for another year.

Glenda, when I put my cursor (did you ever wonder why it's called a curs-or?) over the multi-colored ball in the far left-bottom of the screen - the little "tell-you-what-I-am" flag that pops us reads "START." Click on that - and (I believe) the 2nd option on the list should be "sticky notes," Leave your cursor on that for a second and the menu that pops out to the right (Tasks) will only have one option: +New Note. Click on that and a yellow "sticky note" will appear on the screen. You can make it as big or small as you want. It stays until you remove it. I just have mine on the right hand side of the screen when I bring up the farm forum. I can write, even shut down, come back and keep going until I'm ready to post. You don't have to "save" anything. Then I just copy the whole shebang and post it on the farm messages box. I don't erase (cut) anything until I know it has posted.
Hope this is useful. I do love the sticky notes now ... I use them for appointments, grocery lists, to-do lists, birthday card reminders. I have to pile up some of my sticky notes when I'm writing so I can see the forum. (I only discovered them about 2 weeks ago.)
P.s. I don't think I told you that your grandson/football field story touched me, too. Tell more about this sweet baby granddaughter from China. Bless you and your soft grandma heart.

PeggyAnn - How fun! I love the adventure of moving to a new place. Things get sorted, packed, unpacked. I find things I'd forgotten I ever had. Always very interesting ... hmmm ... what's that about memory? Love the picture! I'm wasting away (don't I wish!) waiting for autumn color and cool weather.

I'm just loving it that more chronologically gifted gals are finding their way to our forum. More sparkle, more good info, more fun! I hope you enjoy it here. We have open arms and hearts. I know I welcomed Dianne and now another wise woman joins the farm-fold. Hi Sheila, and welcome to you, too!

Dianne - Thank you for encouragement. I am looking forward to feeling better - but it is major surgery (3-4 hours, I understand) so I'm a bit overwhelmed by the very idea of it just now. I'm getting more and more happy with the decision after all the farmgals that have checked in to say they had it done and are so much better for it. Thanks again! So you have a pack of grandchildren, too. Are they nearby, or do you have to travel to see them?

Nancy - I'm feeling protective of Mr. Kitty. Holly may just have the answer - if you are willing to go near the monster to get him to the snip shop.

My gosh, Holly. You are an amazon AND talented, AND a kind, caring woman. I am awestruck by your ambition and ability. Now learning more about you makes me swell with pride that I can call you a gf. Your work with children will always be blessed whatever capacity you serve in. Oh, and, by the way whenever you talk about supper - my mouth waters.

And, Holly, if you lived closer you wouldn't be in line at the Junque Sale - you'd be working at it, gf! ! The treasures are unbelievable. Folks all over town and congregations from 20 churches save stuff for us ALL year. It will all be brought to St. John's on Thursday and Friday 11/3 and 4. The sale is for 6 hours on Saturday the 5th. After the sale is over we still fill one or two Salvation Army trucks with leftovers. And that's only a fraction of what we sell. Our prices are really low - but we'll make about $12,000-$15,000 or so. Then volunteers work to clean up and put everything in order so the church is ready for worship Sunday morning. It's quite the undertaking. However, this year on Sunday morning, Larry and I will be on our way to Maui for 2 weeks. Ahhh. (Penny, PeggyAnn and a few others are in my luggage.)

Yes, Junque is just a clever way to say Junk. We encourage folks to donate "the really good stuff" and clean clothing in really good condition.

Judy & Glenda ... Timers are, indeed, for those of us who burn things ... and we just need to remember that we need to SET the timers. Then we have to be within earshot of the timers. And when we burn stuff anyway, soaking the pan in baking soda with a little bit of hot water - overnight - makes the pan much easier to clean! Trust me - I know.

I have to get supper going, girls. We are having stuffed green peppers tonight. I'll use some of the tomatoes that Ginger sent instead of tomato sauce. I'll let you know how it turns out.

We are off to Oakhurst again tomorrow night. (No company though. Got to get ready for company the following weekend.)

Everyone have a lovely evening. Chocolate Kisses!

Edited by - darlystippie on Oct 13 2011 6:31:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  7:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I hope everyone had a good day. Mine wasn't bad except as Darlys said it's too darn hot. We started to have Fall and then it went away. Darn! We did get some work done outside this morning early and that's good. We planted a pussy willow and also a native CA rose that I bought from our local garden club last spring when it was too late to plant it since it was already in the triple digits. It sure was heavy and we had a dickens of a time getting it out of the pot (had to cut the pot) and have scratches to show for it. We went to run the tiller and turn under the goat doo doo we got for free but the tiller wouldn't start so guess it will have to be fixed. Another Darn!

Darlys I think specialty shops sell the soy candles but I'm sure you could get them online. I make mine and buy my soy at Michaels It comes in flakes and I melt it in a double boiler and use old cups, glasses and such to hold it in. I add scent also. I will be sure to post a photo of my finished top. Will have to remember to get someone to take one with my camera.

I have a timer that I can wear around my neck so I can go about my business and do other stuff. It sure startles me though when it goes off as I'm not expecting it. It works good though.

I don't have sticky notes on my computer or if I do I can't find them. I use windows xp but it does have notepad, maybe I could use it. Will have to check it out. It is annoying when Inernet Explorer times you out when you can't get onto the website.

Tomorrow I go to town to pick up and do last minute things. Guess I'll get the car washed also. I checked online with Expedia for my itinerary and the hotel was there but not the flight so had to call them. It was ther with them, it just hadn't been put intom my itinerary. Whew! they had me worried for a while since I made reservations back in August. We'll be off Monday morning sometime for Las Vegas and maybe do a bit of siteseeing along the way only after Barstow there isn't anything until we get to Las Vegas. We fly out Tues. am at 6 arriving in Jacksonville, NC at 4. We change planes in Atlanta.

I'll have so much to catch up on when I get home. Maybe I can use my daughters computer and see what's happening. I am looking forward to the trip as I only see family and friends back there every year or two. We were back there last year though.

good night, will try to get on here a few more times before Monday. Hugs, Betty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page