thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  05:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.... funny, all my post begin with good morning. I am definately an early morning person. I like to get on here and have my first cup of coffee with you ladies. I so enjoy reading about your lives and sharing all kinds of information and helpful tips. Oh, and I buy my tee tree oil at Wal-mart. Since hearing about the elderberry tincture I have been doing alot of research on it. I am definately going to try it. Hubby is anxious for me to make some too. I can talk him into anything. <wink> I wonder if I use juice instead of the berries if I can use it earlier.
Yesterday was a busy day. I managed to get my sewing room as organized and as clean as possible.
Then hit up a few yard sales. I found a great deal on a rotary tool and an air brad nailer. I have been using the rotary tool alot lately and I only paid $5 for the one at the yard sale. It was new and had loads of sanders and bits. Worth the $5 for the accessories.
I have been making necklaces from broken bits of pottery. Pottery is hard on the bits.
I cut out 15 aprons and put buttonholes in them yesterday. I have them all neatly hanging on hangers to be sewn together. I make one long tie and I put 4 button holes (2 at the top of the bib, and 2 at the sides) for the tie to thread through. That way the apron is adjustable. I also did some sewing on pillowcase dresses. I do everything for the sales in stages. I gather materials, cut, iron, sew, iron and put on hangers. I hang all my aprons from wooden slack hangers. I am going to have to go thrift store shopping for more hangers.
We had lunch at Beaver Dam state park. They have a nice little diner. I went out to choose a campsite for out camping trip next weekend. Our Farmgirl sisterhood chapter will be camping out next weekend. We welcome guest for our meetings if you are ever in the area and would like to join us.

I have included a picture of my sewing room. (from the top left corner clockwise) The first picture is when were were making this room into a sewing room. I was lucky enough to get some "cubicle" office furniture. I took the wheels and desktop off of some pods (file cabinet type desk) and placed them with a countertop across the entire wall. Left leg room for the embroidery machine, sewing machine and serger. Then put the metal cabinets on the wall. Nex pic is the quilt serving as a closet door. Then the space as you see today...lol. What a mess. Projects covering the counter space. Patterns, pictures and notes magnatized to the wall cabinets and walls covered with threads.
Next to an apothcary style cabinet to organize tools for different crafts and projects. This is my favorite room in the house. :) I would love to see where everyone else creates. :)

Nancy - Do let us know when your GD is on "Let's Make a Deal". I would love to join in on your excitement and see her!

Glenda - Beautiful pictures of Ed and yourself. After my husband passed away I went to the local VFW with some friends. They casually introduced me to an old friend they knew. They were not trying to be matchmakers. Ben just came to the table to be nosey about the guest they brought along and they had no choice but to introduce us. Ben was 81 years old, I was 44. Like Ed, he did not look his age at all. He was healthy and we traveled alot. We had a weekly schedule. He would fix me dinner every Monday night. I would go to his house straight from work. He would meet me on my lunch hour on Thursdays. And we went out for dinner every Fri and Sat. Sunday evenings we would have dinner at my place. We went to festivals and dog races. He was alot of fun. We laughed and enjoyed each others company as though we were 16 years old. He opened doors for me. :) He was a wonderful man. I lost him after several years and I miss him so. Ben's children were all older than I. But they all treated me with respect and even liked me. His family still keep in touch and once in awhile will remind me of how much Ben loved me. Some say you only find one true love in a lifetime. I was fortunate to have found two. My husband Dave, that I lost to cancer and Ben. Somehow I just feel that those two men loved me so much, And sometimes feeling loved is so important for us. Not that I am not happy in my marriage now. My husband is a wonderful man, but he still requires alot of training. :)

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  06:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Glenda...Nice Looking BF and you make a very handsome couple. You are Pretty and Vibrant Looking. He does not look like he is in his 80's but rather late 60's early 70's. My dad was 69 when he died and Ed looks around the same age. Anyway...Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Patty...I wish I had a nice crafting room like you do...I have either a kitchen counter or my bedroom with
a small table set up in the middle of the room. This picture was taken in the kitchen when I was making
five silver plated altered spoons. Living in a small Apartment you use what you can find for space and then you have to clean it up and start over fresh the next day...because you just can't leave it out and walk away from it. Even when I lived in bigger homes...I never had a room I could call my own for crafting...but
I have always been a crafter. So, where there is a will there is away. Here are a couple pictures of the finished spoons.

All that mess for these spoons...LOL...and that was a small project!

Did you make the Quilted Door? It is very pretty. Nice bright colors.

More Later farmgirls,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  10:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Linda: It sure is fun to discover veggies growing, isn't it? my mama discovered she had a bean plant and enjoyed a couple handfuls of fresh beans from it and my hubby was mowing around our pond last week and saw a patch of stuff growing and here it tuned out to be lettuce! I had saved what i wanted of seed and threw the rest over the bank and it "hatched". haha it's so tender and tasty when young.

Darlys: Hope you enjoyed every minute with your friends and I must say, it's so nice to have someone on the other end to turn that heat on for ya.

Holly: i LOVE fleece, so would wear that hat too!
my 5 children hated helping around the house, so i took a calendar with nice large squares, put a childs name in each sqare and wrote the required jobs and we switched the jobs every week, so no child had to do the same thing all the time. they knew who had dishes each day and i would pitch in if the load was large (like when company showed up, which was often). cleaning day was saturday, so there was sweeping, mopping, bathrooms (we had 2 full ones), trash and each child had to have their bedroom clean. we had a wringer washer (by age 14,they were doing their own), so everyone did their laundry on a different day, weather permitting because we hung them on the lines outside in good weather. in winter, we had lines strung down in the basement. I was told i ran a tight ship, but hey, things went smoothly like well-oiled machinery because everyone knew what was expected of them. we also home-schooled which we all enjoyed very much. not to many choices on teaching materials, we were in the beginning of that movement, but we got through it.

I don't mind policemen shooting people in defense of their own lives, but most of the time they shoot to "kill". a shot in the leg should be first, i think.

making applesauce is so simple for me. wash apples, cut in quarters, put an inch of water in the pan and cook til soft. run through my Squeezo (food mill), added cinnamon hots for color and taste and since the apples were so sweet (used gala mostly) no sugar needed. canned for 30 mins in boiling water bath and all done. :) you get between 12/14 quarts with a bushel of apples. :)

Glenda: your story about Ed sounds just like a movie! would be a good one. :)..and Penny is right, not ONE will say "86?"

PeggyAnn: my youngest son is getting married in dec and my dress is silver/gray and the gray jacket has black jacquard designs and sequins on it and i have gray hair and am 5'2" too. boy, am i going to add some color somehow too! lol
leaving stuff alone in my garden too. have sugar snap peas that are nice and healthy and about 4/6 inches high. red cabbage is looking great as is the cauliflower, peppers and brussel sprouts. hope to get some to eat before it snows. :) a nasturtium is going to town blooming itself crazy and my zinnias don't want to quit either. go to it, i say!

just sent hubby out with the camera to get some shots of the colorful leaves. :)

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  12:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi
Had lunch out today with my sweet DH. Yesterday we went for coffee at our regular spot. He made a joke and said the coffee wasn't too good so we will go to Callahan about 11 miles away just for a ride and to see what the place looks like. We've never been there. Got there and found there wansn't much to see so we decided to go on the the next town which is Hillard. Drove there and found a thrift store where I found some nice earrings and a pretty necklace to buy. Then he said, "Hey, let's go on to Folkston." That's in Georgia about 11 miles north of Hillard. So up to Folkston we went. Stopped for another coffee and then back home. One big circle of driving. What a date!!

Patty- Thanks for the laundry soap link. I looked in some of my books and couldn't find any recipes for the homemade soap. I am going to look up the link. I use cloth towels now and cloth napkins too so that I am using less paper towels. My husband put up a clotheslind when we moved into our house and hid it so that it wouldn't show. We have one of those Homeowner's Associations here and they are so picky. I still like to hang my clothes outside when it is warm.

Glenda- I gott on the mailing list for Soft Surroundings. I like their clothes. They are similar to Chicos whose clothes are the best. I don't have had too many hot flashes but they are awful. I especially hate it in the middle of the night when I wake up sweating. Your Ed and you look so sweet together. Yes, he is one good looking fellow.

Penny- You did so well shopping and that fleece for $3.95 a yard is fantastic. What a buy! Wish I could find something around here like that. They finally got the fabrics back into the WalMart nearby. But the good fabric stores are far away. I told my husband about the pickled peppers especially about the jalapeno peppers. We have a jalapeno pepper plant. Now that the weather is cooling down and we are getting some rain at last he will be in the kitchen doing some cooking.

Ginny- Happy belated birthday to you. You were so patient and kind to listen to the troubles of that lady. Some people have no one to talk to and the only time they can speak to anyone is when they go out shopping. I often think that when I see older people at the stores or grocery shopping so sometimes I say hello and ask them how they are. I have had some good conversations at the coffee shops here with people who are traveling.

PeggyAnn- Your spoons are so beautiful. I have never seen any as pretty as yours. Thank you for sharing them with us.The one with the pick ribbons looks so pretty hanging on the wall.
My daughter told me the Kari's show will me on sometime next March. I will let you all know the exact date. She told me the whole prize was worth $3000. That must have been some jewelry she won!

It is raining really hard right now. I am going to take a little nap and then I have Bible study at 4:00.

Lots of hugs,

Nancy

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  1:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all,

Thanks Janet, I will try the water and see if it helps.

Hi Peggy, I love the spoons...you are very creative.

Glenda, really great pics....both nice looking people...really nice...(and they all have some negative stuff) but the good always rules over the bad...I will have to try to find some tea tree oil somewhere..nothing close around here so might see if I can order it online or next time I make the trip(40miles) to walmart...

Patty, sounds like you got some great deals at the yard sale...you sure make alot of aprons, they sound beautiful. I love the pic of your sewing room, mine is in my bedroom I love your story about Ben, so sweet, sounds like you have been lucky in love....

Nancy, I usually don't run into good sales like that but was so excited...guess I should have gotten more...but I did want to stay in my budget. Sounds like you had a great day with DH...glad you had fun.

Well things have been very stressful around here....trying to get things straighten out with this business...DH went into the real estate business with his step mother in 08, now it is a real nightmare...she just can't let him run the business even though he owns 50%, his Dad 25 and her 25, so by the end of the month he is resigning as president/CEO of that company and going to reopen the company he put on hold in 08...so much to do to get that up and running again. Things really want change much, only thing is we want have head aches from HER anymore....wish us luck..

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  5:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Good evening every one,

Today was another beautiful, bright sunny day. The temperature was in the high 70's. This is unusual for this time of year. We expect to have out first frost the second week of September so this year we have been especially lucky. Some years we have a frost in September for two or three nights in a row and then have three weeks more of growing time but by then the garden is gone.

I have several canning books and understand the logistics of it. Freezing has just been easier. I just need to get off my duff and decide I am going to put in the effort to can. We have 9 in our household so canning a quart of anything goes very quickly. I do like to have the home made applesauce and cider. We have a small cider press and last year made gallons of cider and froze it. It was so sweet in the middle of the winter.

I send out maple syrup to my mail away relatives. They love it. I do not have to think to hard for winter holiday presents with syrup so abundant in the state. It is quite pricey but I trade laying hens and frozen turkey to a family that makes their own syrup so it works out well for both of us.

I am glad Glenda that you have Ed as a friend. How nice to have someone who will call and travel. I hoope nothing happens to him. I hope his relatives especially if he has children understand what he wants with his life as he gets older. Some children can be very self centered in dealing with their parents especially if an inheritance is involved. My great aunt had a boyfriend and they were going to get married. They lived in a nursing home. She was 89 and he was 91. they loved each other passionately. My mother bought Aunt Mil a dress for the wedding and a week before the event his children moved him to a different nursing home because they did not want him to leave her anything. We thought it was great that they were happy. He died within the next week. Sometimes I go off on tangents and do not mean to be depressing. I just like to caution people to have all of their paperwork in order to prevent nasties.

Glenda you look really good for 68. I think I have far more wrinkles than you ever will.

I wrote about rats. One winter I noticed that the rodents were particularly vicious. they chewed through the rubbermade garbage cans that I had my grain in. In the spring I noticed the chicken feed in the trays was going faster than usual. I was talking to my brother on the phone telling him about these huge field mice eating in the barn. He said, those are not field mice those are norway rats. I about plotsed myself right then and there. He still laughs at me saying on minute they are cute mice and the next breath they are nasty rats. I spent a good share of the summer working to get rid of them. We had roofers putting on a new roof and they brought rifles with them to shoot the rats. Each day the caliber of the shell got bigger. Those things were fast. Finally, I bought a poison called hawk bait that came in cubes. I put ten sets of cubes in the enclosed chicken pen and it was all gone in an hour. I filled it up again and at 5PM it was all gone and I did it again and again. finally they hawk bait ceased to disappear. come to find out they had rats in the village which is 3 miles from our house and the rats had come up the rivers and brooks to take up residence in our barn. I am glad they are gone and I hope they do not return. We did not have mice and moles and voles for two years afterwards so I guess the wild things ate it too.

I have heard that oppossums and armadillos both can be trying. I am glad we have neither this far north.

We are putting a new deck on our porch. Well actuallly Joseph who is a contractor in town is supposed to put it on. We are trying to take off the old one to save him time and us money. the old deck is pressure treated 1" x 6" and the new decking will be trex. Trex is an amalgamate of plastic and wood. It is smooth and I hope has a long life. I put some on the dock in our pond more than five years ago and it still looks good and you can still sit on it in a bathing suit and not have your bathing suit full of puckers after you stand up.

We do not have a Walgreen's near us for the I cool. I wonder if Rite aid or Kinney's might have it. We have a locally owned pharmacy in Montpelier so I will have to try to remember to ask them about it. They are good people. They decided when it opened that a pharmacy was to help make people healthy so they do not sell booze or cigarettes. I am going to try drinking water before bed. It is easier to get back to sleep after having gone pee than it is after having cooled off from a night sweat.

I went to several yard sales this weekend. I struck silver at two of them. Each had beautiful baskets filled with yarn. Some of the yarn was wool and some cotton in cheery colors. I thought I might make some four needle socks from the wool. I jsut need to find the pattern in my chaos. I used to use the pattern that had a rag hat and rag socks on it. I was a given a copy by a woman who runs her own wool shop several years ago. I started a pair for a friend and then cleaning up one day put the bag someplace safe and have not been able to find it since. It has to be here somewhere. lol

the children think I should go on one of the game shows. Lucky for me they are all taped far from my house. They think I should go on Are you smarter than a fifth grader. I do not what the prize it but they think I would do well.

I saw a huge V of geese heading south at dawn today. I guess the cold weather is on its way. The leaves are gorgeous. The oranges have come out over night. I am trying to get a picture that shows the vibrant colors but haven't managed to get one yet that does the season justice. After the leaves are all gone I hope we have lots of snow. It makes the gray of the trees bearable when the woods are dressed in white.

Well friends, Have a good sleep.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  10:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Just a quick note, I looked up the I-Cool for hot flashes we were talking about and here are the stores that carry it
* CVS
* Discount Drug Mart
* Duane Reade
* Kerr Drugs
* Kinney Drugs
* Kroger
* Meijer
* Rite Aid
* Vitamin Shoppe
* Walgreens
* Walmart

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  10:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Penny...you are our little computer whiz aren't you? Always finding out just what we need. Next time I go into Walgreens I will get me some or Walmart.

Holly...I hate rats! (and mice) Not a great fan of any rodents. One time we had rats in our garrage and because my husband knows how I detest rodents he told the kids and I that they were squirrels. I guess he thought we were stupid too. lol Every time he caught one in the trap he would say..."Oh, we got another squirrel. Men!!!!

Thanks for all the nice comments about my spoons. They are fun to make. I just keep my eye's open for silver plated spoons at the antique stores. One of my swap partners made me the cutest spoon necklace with a tiny silver-plated tea-spoon. I will post a picture of it on here if I can find what file I hid it in. lol

Now that is the coolest spoon that I have ever seen. I just LOVE IT!!!

Glenda...it has been a bad week with my Fibro-flare-up. The fatigue part has been the worst part this time. The pain...I can take pain-meds for but the fatigue you just have to sleep it off and pray that your body restores itself.

Well, girls I need to go work on my Mail-Art. Will chat more later....
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 10 2011 10:51:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  12:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Ann, I just made the list of your "veggie mix" for omelets & such. If I just leave out the bacon the vegetarian/vegan grandchildren will eat it (in great quantities). It just sounds soooo good! BTW, those pictures of the spoons are wonderful. You sure have an eye for "so pretty."

Our weekend was great. Company was fun. We went into Yosemite on Saturday and down into the valley. Did some hiking, ohhed over the waterfalls, trees, and rock formations, saw deer (and lots of tourists). Lots of photo ops. Then Sunday we went to the local Chocolate & Wine Festival. That's a small festival in our park but it was entertaining and we all had a good time. The sun was so bright, though, that my sunglasses weren't doing the job. So I bought a silky newsboy style cap and it did the trick to shield my eyes. I look at how it's made and am thinking that just a little bit of sewing skill and not much fabric ... they would be pretty easy to make. And I paid $15 for this synthetic, made-in-China eye protection! That will teach me to be prepared. But - it might be an inspiration for you farmgirls who do the festivals with your creations.

Well, gfs, it looks like we have at least one good-sized elderberry bush on our property. I walked down to examine it and it looks really healthy. I haven't seen any berries on it though. Now I'll be paying attention.

Hey Holly! Speaking of your fleece hat ... I have a lot of fleece things, pullovers mostly and a couple of jackets. This past weekend I pulled out a pale blue one that I thought I liked. Wore it into the park, happily not the whole time, as I also was wearing a flannel plaid shirt over fleece pullover. Well, glad it got pleasantly warm in the park as a couple of pictures of me suggested I ditch the jacket pronto. My head looked small and my legs looked skinny and my whole middle looked like a huge, blue barrel! You asked if I was short ... (being on the short side didn't help the image!) I am 5'3". Not as short as some of our gfs, but enough to be slightly vertically challenged. I have to wear petite sizes - or roll up cuffs. All my grandsons are over 6' so I stand on the stairs (or tiptoes) to get my hugs. My 2 daughters are short but everyone else, on both sides of our family, (except the little gr-grands) is 5'9" and up. Our last name is Tippie, so it lends itself to my signature line - and gives a smile - because it is so appropriate for me. I think of tall people as being so elegant and graceful and very capable. I spend a lot of time dragging a step stool around.

You have a family of nine? How about a breakdown. Blended? All your biological kids? Generations? Ages? You must have a noisy dinner table!

I'm wondering if the stuff you used to get rid of those rats, moles & voles would also work on gophers. We do have Gophers with a capital G in Oakhurst. I think most of them are on our property!

Speaking, again, of craft rooms. I took some pictures of my sewing room in Oakhurst. I will share when I get them downloaded. It's a very small room - but it's my own! And I would be far too embarrassed to take a shot of my diningroom table here. I really have to do something about that b4 Thanksgiving (when we have relatives coming for dinner!)

Ginny, you have such a big heart. I just know you touched that woman in a way that was just what she needed at that point in time. No act of kindness, no matter how small ever is without a blessing attached. Oh, I just thot I'd mention, I will continue to keep your Maine papermills humming and loggers employed. I will NOT give up TP. And paper towels, tissues and napkins all have appropriate uses. We do need to be aware of our consumption, though.

Nancy, Add me to the list of those who would like to watch your GD on Let's Make a Deal. And, with you and Holly describing your sewing rooms ... I am feeling a lot less alone in my creative blizzard. And btw, Glenda is right about Soft Surroundings. I really enjoy their catalog and the clothes are so flattering. I guess we all love Chicos.

And, Betty, I'm with Nancy regarding your grandson's injury and your husband's shoulder. Strange about those bones not touching. And with arthiritis - we all can be glad it is not life-threatening and that there are remedies that can make life with it more bearable.

Glenda, you certainly have a gem of a guy. But, then again, he has a gem of a gal. I have no judgments on age differences. I think, when it works - it works! My DH is almost 6 years younger than me ... and we are great together.

Penny, I'm going to check out Martha's website. Thanks for putting it in the post. Hey, absolutely great deal on the fleece! (Did you notice my bit about the blue jacket? ) It sounds like you had a fantastic time "on the town", gf. I will keep you and your DH in my thoughts and prayers. I know it's miserable now - but He will carry you. Remember - When you are going through hell - just keep going. It's pretty obvious that it's time to cut and start over with the company your honey used to have. And about that link on canning that you promised Holly, - me, too. I am going to start. Once upon a time I canned apricots and made jam. But that was a long time ago, in another lifetime, when I had an apricot tree.

I am so lucky. I rarely have night sweats. But, I do have that get-up-and-pee-in-the-middle-of=the- night sleep interruption pretty regularly. I always take a glass of water and put it on the nightstand. Maybe I'm hydrating enough.

Time to get moving on my Monday gear up. Always a little longer to get my motor running after going back & forth to Oakhurst. Coffee with you gfs always helps.

Chocoate Kisses ... I mean - ChocoLate Kisses ...

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.

Edited by - darlystippie on Oct 10 2011 3:44:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

lynnschlicht1961
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

lynn
swartz creek michigan
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  12:47:33 PM  Show Profile
My goodness, I'm off of here for a few days and I have lots to catch up on.

The trip to Ohio was wonderful. We saw lots of beautiful trees and the weather was perfect. We brought home all kinds of goodies. It's nice to go away for a few days but always good to get home.

Today is catch up day before my work week begins.

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  1:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry Darlys, little behind but here are some great links for water bath canning....

http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/canningfruits.htm

http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/canningrecipes.htm

http://www.essortment.com/home-canning-fruit-41612.html

the last one is from the BALL Jar company...Hope this helps

http://www.freshpreserving.com/guides/IntroToCanning.pdf

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Edited by - Acelady02 on Oct 10 2011 1:33:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow! To quote Lynn, I'm off here a few days and it's overwhelming. So much going on. I checked Soft Surroundings but it was after shopping on Thursday. They do have some nice things. I didn't find anything so bought three yards of a soft brocade in tans and golds and have my top almost finished. I cut it out on Saturday and sewed on it Sunday. I went to town today and bought some hem facing, the lace kind, and better matching thread than what I had to do the button holes. Now all I have left are the hemming of the sleeves, the bottom of the top and the buttonholes and buttons and I'm done. The fabric was on sale for $5.99 a yard instead of the $12.95 listed so I did all right. I may make a long skirt and use the top for my husbands installation as Master of his lodge in January. That is formal enough for me. lol.

It's been nice and cool so we got the remaining trees planted but it's to warm up by Wednesday but cool down again by the weekend. That sounds good to me.

We leave for our trip a week from tomorrow so I really have to get on the ball and start a list of what to pack in the way of clothes and what I want to take back for everyone. I have to sew the quilt label on tonight and that will be the end of it. I think I'll wait until I get back there before I wrap it. I have a wedding sampler done in crosstitch that I need to get ready. That I will frame when I get there as there'll be less chance of damage that way. My daughter will pick up a matt and a frame for me. We did it this way when my other granddaughter got married two years ago.

My granddaughter that's in the army is home now for two weeks before going to GA. She was surprised when her stepdad showed up for her graduation and he had her army ring for her. They spent a couple of days there in St. Louis playing tourists before flying to WA on Saturday. She will spend a lot of time with her brothers and cheering up the gimpy one. Would love to see her again but I saw her in June. Heavens knows when I'll see her again with her moving around with the army.

It sounds like everyone is busy just like me. I am considering turning my guest room into a sewing room because when I'm doing a quilt I take up a lot of space. It's in the works anyway. I love the spoons by the way.

I hope all of you had a good day. enjoy your evening and lets hope for a lovely tomorrow. Hugs to all, Betty
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  7:58:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, this is the last day of Indian Summer. No more 80's...starting to drop tomorrow.
DH took me to Statcare yesterday because of an earache & headache for about 3 days and blisters under my tongue....all on the right side of my head.She checked my temp, it was normal, my glands on my neck...normal. when she looked in my mouth, she said I had a multitude of blisters in there. Great! She said my ears just looked dry. I said they hurt like crazy, not all the time, but sharp pains. I also said, "My hair even hurts and I feel like someone Jap-slapped me!"....all on the right side! Guess what she said? SHINGLES!!! WHAT?? Noooooo!!! Has anybody else experienced this? It's awful!So she gave me Valtrex for the virus and said to take Ibuprofen. Valtrex makes me woozy....as hubby says, "As if you aren't dizzy enough!" Thank you Dear!Love you too!
So that's where I've been for awhile....swollen & tender & dizzy! ~~ouch~~ my hair does TOO hurt....a feller can't make THAT up! LOL

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  11:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Judy...I have had shingles and they are so painful!!! Never had them in my mouth or ears. Thank God! I had them down my spine and then they went around my trunk to the right side and under my right arm. Almost all the bumps were right under my bra. And I had to work...so couldn't go bra-less. I got them from stress at work. 2 of our main gals were gone. One for two weeks and one for a month. I had to do my job and both of their jobs and one of the ladies (the one gone for a month) ran the small lunch cantina too. I think you can see how I would have been over worked and over-stressed. I was terribly misserable. The only thing that really helped me was medicated patches that I got from My Dr. They were cooling and soothing for the 12 hrs you had them on. Then you had to go 12 hours without them. Where you have yours you can't get that relief and I am so sorry girlfriend. How awful! And yes, your hair can hurt! I pray that you don't get them in your nose or eyes. I will be praying for you...they don't go away fast. And the pain can linger long after the pumps have left...because it can damage your nerve endings. POOR BABY!!!!!

blessings and prayers,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 10 2011 11:27:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  06:10:50 AM  Show Profile
Good morning.... I missed my coffee with you gals yesterday and I thought about you all day. I worked on necklaces. Had a lady from one of my shows come by to purchase some necklaces. I love when I have a sale from home with no expenses to go somewhere.
Hubby and I have been walking about 3 to 4 miles a day. We walked to the theater yesterday for the matinee and saw the movie "Dolphin Tale". It was such a wonderful heart warming movie.
He is contemplating a trip to Ohio this week. His pick-up truck is still out there and his days of riding his motorcycle back and forth are limited. So he needs to get out there and bring his truck home. I would like to go out there in a few weeks, but too much on my plate right now.

Peggy Ann- Your spoons are beautiful. I especially like the one with the chick. :) And the spoon necklace is stunning as well. I have seen watches made into Christmas ornaments, decorated in the same style you decorate the spoons. I don't have the design imagination to create something like that. If I decorated spoons they would all look alike.

Glenda- My sewing room is not as organized as it looks. I still buy multiples because I can't locate what I have. But I truly am working on it and attempting to be more organized. ...lol.

Penny - Someday this too shall all pass and the stress will be gone. Hang in there and pray alot! Not so much for patience but for alot of guidance. I use to pray for patience and seemed I got double the trials, so I am careful what I pray for now.

Holly - Maple syrup makes a wonderful gift. And what a tradition. Useful and I am sure those that receive it would be so disappointed if they didn't unwrap maple syrup for Christmas. I too hate rats and mice. No matter how big or small. Seriously, my brother was doing rehab to housing projects in Cincinnati, Oh years ago and they warehoused supplies (cabinets, sink, toilets) in the basement of one of the units. We went to visit him and I sat on a cabinet as the guys loaded supplies. I saw a rat stand on his hind feet and tried to pull a 30 gal. metal drum over. I am sure it was considered a "river rat" but it was huge. Needless to say, I was terrified. We also had a restored TransAm stored in a garage. When we got it out in the spring there was rat poop through out the car and boy did it stink. We had to redo all the carpet in the trunk. My hubby tried to convince me that it was mouse poop, but I didn't just get off the turnip truck. I knew this was not mouse poop. After cleaning the car out, I drove it to work one day. One the way home I noticed a gray tail about 6 inches long wiggling near my leg and I had a pair of capris on, so my leg was bare. I was terrified. I called my son at work and asked him to meet me outside with a pair of pliers. What the heck I thought he was going to do with the pliers, I don't know. For a minute I guess I thought he could grab the tail and pick it up. Anyway, I race at a high rate of fuel consumption to his job site. He came out, and found the rat tail to be a gray wire, blowing in the wind because the windows were down. I will neer live that one down. But I would have sworn it was a rat.

Darlys - It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend full of fun and friends! I love those times. I am like you, not many night sweats, I had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago when I was 31 years old. But those gotta-pee-in-the-middle-of-the-night interruptions are terrible. My Dr just put me on a med for urgency. Seems like even during the day when I gotta go, it is always an immediate rush. Comes on quick and I'd better hurry.

Betty- It is hard being away from children and grandchildren when they are military. I see my daughter quite frequently, but she has a family and lives in a home on base. My son on the other hand is single and lives in barracks. So visiting him is not so easily. I have not seen him since last Christmas. He hopes to come home in November. I have my fingers crossed. My quilt frame is a board attached to the wall with hinged 2x4's attached to it and notched for 2x2's. Then legs are hinged onto the 2x4's. My quilt is put on the 2x2's and placed in the notches. I can then hook it back up to the wall when I am not quilting or company comes. Puts it out of the way in the spare bedroom for company use.

Judy - I have never had shingles but I know they can be miserable. What a horrible place to have them as well. I hope they heal quickly and the pain does not linger on. Will remember you in my prayers.

Well girls, As I have been trying to write this post, hubby contemplated long enough, had breakfast and is on the road to Ohio. Don't know how long this trip will be, but in a secret sort of way, I enjoy my time alone. I like being knee deep in a project and not have to stop to help him or feed him. :) I like the quiet sound of NO TV for awhile. This is our sisterhood camp out this weekend so it will make it much easier to prepare, and a big fall festival to attend next week. I will miss him, but will get so much more accomplished.
Have a good day... off to my WW weigh in. :)

Patty #1840

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
Go to Top of Page

lynnschlicht1961
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

lynn
swartz creek michigan
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  06:24:03 AM  Show Profile
good morning ladies...feels like spring outside this morning...i love this time of year!!

this will be a good week at work...just busy enough to be interesting but not crazy

judy, sorry to hear about the shingles

all of you sound so busy with craft projects...i want to make an apron, the old fashion type, not the kind that goes around your neck...are there patterns out there? I haven't found any yet.

have a bleesed day...
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  07:11:50 AM  Show Profile
Ok I will admit it. I am 50. Thank you ladies for sharing. I was feeling kind of low but your joy has lifted me. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  07:13:51 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Dianne, Join right in and we hope you stick around. :)

Patty #1840

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  07:16:54 AM  Show Profile
Well I'm going to try this again! Yesterday I had time to sit down and tell you about my evening last Friday. And then somehow I deleted it. Ugh!!! Anyway my grandson who is a senior in high school, is on the starting team in football. Every home game they run through their Banner with their name and # on it. Well his grandma on dads side and myself, we got to walk out on the field and hold his banner. When we saw him running toward us, it was amazing, we are so proud of him. It's a little bit bittersweet that this is his last year home. He will be leaving in Sept. for college. I can still picture him sitting on his little rocking horse and saying, "I wov you grammy"! We have made alot of memories, and many more ahead. I was talking to Linda the other day and our conversation lead to how some people think money is the most important thing in their lives. But it takes just little moments like friday night to know "family and friends, and a relationship in God", will make for the most blessed life. Just wanted to share this new memory with you. Have a good day girlfriends. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  07:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Brenda...very well said! Life is all about Family and Friends! If you don't have those two things
when you are ready to leave this World...then you really don't have anything at all!

The Best Things in Life...aren't "things" at all!

Hugs and Smiles,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  09:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Dianna (Dew) Welcome from the state of Georgia, we are so glad you joined our little bit crazy, lots of fun group...I'm sure you will love it here...so glad we have lifted you up a little...come back anytime...and share....

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4895 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4895 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  09:37:32 AM  Show Profile
Peg, Bless your heart! I have had shingles before! Yikes! I have MS so when it is flared up, I usually get shingles! cutting open a Vitamin E capsule,and gently rubbing it in ,ill ease the pain and heal the skin! and if you don't already take Vitamin E by mouth if it is ok with your D.! also I'm not getting my emails from MJF when someone posts, anybody else?I would get 50 a day, at least and none for the last 2 days, I ha just been checking on my swaps anyway.

and p.s. I am one year away from Double Nickels! and I feel like Cee jay, I put the top down on my car and let the wind blow thru my hair and the next day I am all stuffed up!! LOl!!!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  12:06:48 PM  Show Profile
I just dropped in to say "Good morning" and after submitting the post the Internet took so long to connect It got lost in cyberspce. Darn! I wonder if I'm going to have to write it up and cut copy and paste so it doesn't happen again.

It's a lovely morning and I've been working outside pulling a few dead plants and cleaning up the porch from our bad windstorm we had. The handyman was here fixing some shingles on the roof and trimming bushes. DH can't climb on ladders with his leg braces so since we've been married I've always done it but I quit since I'm afraid I'll fall and break a hip or worse. It bothers his Arthritis to trim the bushes so he's going to stop doing that.

I'm sorry you gals have shingles. blessedly I have never had them but I know they're painful. Did you know that soy is pure vitamin E? I make soy candles and since they melt at a lower temp than reg. ones you can dip you fingers in the melted soy and rub it into you skin. It isn't greasy and it feels so good.

I am almost finished with my top for the wedding. All I have is buttonholes and hemming and sewing on the buttons. We leave a week from today so am trying to get everything done up ahead so I don't have to rush. I have to leave and go to a neighbors house and pick up five bags of fabric. These are the 13 gal. size. Guess I'll be making a lot of quilts this winter. Some of this fabric was her mothers and some hers. She's a few years younger than me but she can't do much anymore due to poor health. I think I'll make her a quilt from her fabric, kind of like a memory quilt. I did that with a grandmothers flower garden quilt using all the fabric from the things I made all my children when they were young.

Have to go. Have a great day everyone. Hope this posts this time, Hugs, Betty
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  2:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Judy and PeggyAnn -- I am so sorry. Although I have not had shingles, I have known a couple of women who have .... and all I could do was suffer with them. I have no words of wisdom or ideas of remedies - just a lot of love in my heart going out to you both ... and praying that your bouts will be short lived - if not gone forever.

Hey Dianne ... welcome to our community! This is an amazing bunch of farmgirls. We share it all - the joys and the sadness, trials and triumphs, the weather, projects, and dinner plans - and everything else. And then we just love each other up. Jump in and tell us about you and your day. We truly care. (And, 50 is still really young, m'dear. I have 2 daughters and a son older than you!)

Betty, the excitement is catchy. I hope you have a marvelous time in NC. You are going to have to post a picture of you wearing your wedding outfit, you know.

Patty, I have a hysterectomy coming at me sometime in January. We wil set the date sometime in December. The meeting with the surgeon was positive. She is going to do some pre-op examining early in December to determine the extent of "fix" the bladder is going to get when the uterus is removed, so I don't face incontinence issues afterward. I like her - she said "You don't want to trade one issue for another. Let's take care of everything at once." Right now I don't have urgency issues - just the middle of the night - "darn I'm so tired and now I have to pee" thing.

I would have been on the side of the road waiting for who knows who or what to get that rat out of my car! Never mind it was just a piece of wire. I probably would have called 911.

Penny, thank you for the links. I'm headed there next. Hope you're okay ... we're here for you, gf.

I'm off for now - 'til later, ladies .....

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the commiserating Gals! Having them in my mouth,under my tongue really limits what I can do....and what I DON'T want to taste. LOL
Welcome Dianne! Tell us a little about yourself please! Enquiring minds want to know! *heehee*
Amen Brenda...that 'bout covers it!
Patty, I'm sorry that you had to be scared almost to death, but so glad it wasn't a rat! Thanks for sharing that with us!
It's spose to rain tonight sometime. I hope your DH makes it here to Ohio before it does. You say he's riding his bike here to get his truck? Oh dear!I'll pray it doesn't rain until he gets here!
Ugh! I feel miserable today. I don't know what to do with myself. I sure don't want to take a bunch of Ibuprofen and mess up my stomach. I have enough problems. Think I'll go lay down. I'm soooo tired! No energy!
*yawn*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Oct 12 2011 10:03:40 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly